[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Meanwhile across town.........
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/3/2017  10:41 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20221667/zach-lowe-brooklyn-nets-dangelo-russell-sean-marks-nba

I thought some of the background of how Marks came to Nets and the path they must now take to be interesting.
We are so used to reading about starphuching but I found the realization of where they are and how long it will take to be a very different take on things.
Prokhrov is just looking to sell a minority Stake of the team.
Im not praising them, nor ****ting on them......Ownership sets the one for an organization when mistakes are made, and now a culture that knows its plucked, and what must be done to craw out of a very deep hole.

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/3/2017  11:59 PM
I agree with everything you said and I like their approach. I have to call you out thought
, Marks was plucked from the Spurs. Pretty sure you are a guy that dismisses that pedigree. I love the nets offseason and the fact that Marks and Atkinsonhave a shared vision.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
Member: #883
8/4/2017  3:16 AM
The coverage the Nets have gotten since they got the new owner has always annoyed me- they get a pass for everything. Look at their current status: They have Mosgov's contract which is a s bad as Noah's. The have Crabbe's contract which is more than the much mocked Tim Jr, while Crabbe is also a worse player. They have Carroll making $15mil per year. They have no corner stone player (at least we have KP) and don't have their own pick this year (again). Their owner is as bad as Dolan (the KG and Pierce deal, plus the Lillard for whatever bum it was, are prime Dolan). Yet somehow all the media are saying their future is golden and we are the worst franchise in the league and are doomed forever.
Nalod
USA
8/4/2017  10:41 AM
CrushAlot wrote:I agree with everything you said and I like their approach. I have to call you out thought
, Marks was plucked from the Spurs. Pretty sure you are a guy that dismisses that pedigree. I love the nets offseason and the fact that Marks and Atkinsonhave a shared vision.

I am the guy that says the culture starts with the owner. Thus until there is autonomy in NY a positive culture cannot commence. Peter Holt might not be a basketball genius but he knows enough to run a successful franchise by hiring good people and let them do their job. Its his directive on what they do, but its talent that gets it done.

So Marks was plucked from Spurs but even RC Buford would only grant permission if Nets let him do it his way. Very cool. This set the tone but most importantly it set the rules for how the team was to be run and the first thing was development of a plan.

Prokhorov and King tried to make a huge splash and messed up bigtime. I commend Nets ownership for they way they are going about fixing it. They are taking the proper course and not cutting corners. This is the current plan. They are also transparent about this so its kind of neat that they are doing it in a public manner. MSG rarely shares with us their plans for the knicks so we are mistrustful of the process.
Even Phil with all his mojo messed it up.

In the Dolan era we now have a management team in place that actually resembles what a pro franchise should look like. A financial saavy team president and a GM that is actually a basketball guy. WE have not had this tandem since Checketts and Grunfeld worked together (lets hope this works out better!!!). This is how most teams actually go about their business.

Nets get a free pass now because they have been blasted for the last few years given their mistakes. King is gone. Prokhorov is mostly hands off and the team as I said is transparent. Without bravado and empty promises of making the playoffs they do garner a more sympathetic tone. They also bringing in bad contracts but with picks along with them. Crabbe is a talented kid who now has just three years on his deal. The team if they can succeed in rehabbing players can make them tradable when their contracts have far less on them. That takes time.

Nobody really has any expectations and bcause they don't have picks, they can't tank yet. So in a way your getting a good honest transparent effort.
Me, I don't hate the Nets. Knicks have do what they have to do to succeed. Knicks are not better because the Nets suck. I actually prefer both teams succeed and play interesting meaningful games and that builds rivalry!!! Then one can hate them FOR BEATING THE KNICKS! There is not glory in beating a lousy Net team if KNicks are sub .500. Thats my take.

Personally they have been off my radar the last few years but I was fascinated by their move from jersey, the rebranding, the starphuch attempt to capture the city, Dolans response (54 win team) and the subsequent decline. This article caught my eye and I found it interesting that they have embraced their current status and are moving forward in the best way possible with some risks.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/4/2017  12:43 PM
I always followed the Nets. I stopped when they got Pierce, Garnett and Terry and haven't gone back. I probably would have watched more this past year if Lin was healthy.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/4/2017  1:11 PM
...nobody but Nalod still cares about Brooklyn.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/6/2017  1:14 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Nalod
USA
8/6/2017  4:26 PM
jrodmc wrote:...nobody but Nalod still cares about Brooklyn.

I know, if its not melo related you dont care.

It's actually called a conversation and if don't care to participate, then don't.
It about rebuilding with few assets. It's from a good writer. and It's NY basketball.
And if you don't care, then don't.

Nalod
USA
8/6/2017  4:26 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmm

LOL!1!
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

8/7/2017  7:11 AM
Teams that seriously need to tank keep talking all this politically correct BS because they are afraid of what? Does the league have an official position against tanking? Are teams that basically give up closer to the end of season, held accountable to it? I think the punishment should be punitive like luxury tax and then team's can choose to pay it. This hypocrisy that exists now is asinine. And the weak arguments about players not wanting to tank are also BS. If they don't want to tank is in their power to make sure the question never comes up during the season.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Nalod
USA
8/7/2017  8:09 AM
When you have a clear top player coming into the league tanking becomes attractive. Teams have tried it and failed.
Teams should never go into a season to tank, but to me its ok to finish. We see this in Baseball when teams are eliminated and start playing the kids.
What makes the Nets a bit different is that they have mulitiple years without its pick and the question of tanking cannot even come up.
We implore our teams to tank in February. The Nets have no incentive to do so.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/7/2017  9:54 AM
I almost hate the Nets.... nobody cares about them. They are the worst franchise coming into this year. They gutted 2 no name guys to be coach and general manager. They have no picks.... ****ing waste.

Now they have made some decent moves this offseason... but they also traded for 3 of the worst contracts in this league. They have a team full of mediocre swing men, tweeters and combo guards.

I'm from Brooklyn so i can't hate. I actually like Atkinson as a coach too.... but damn can the ny media give us a break and pick on the other guy for a while

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
USA
8/7/2017  10:16 AM
EnySpree wrote:I almost hate the Nets.... nobody cares about them. They are the worst franchise coming into this year. They gutted 2 no name guys to be coach and general manager. They have no picks.... ****ing waste.

Now they have made some decent moves this offseason... but they also traded for 3 of the worst contracts in this league. They have a team full of mediocre swing men, tweeters and combo guards.

I'm from Brooklyn so i can't hate. I actually like Atkinson as a coach too.... but damn can the ny media give us a break and pick on the other guy for a while

Nobody cares because they are not relevant. NYC first team is the knicks. No doubt about that. What they attempted to do was bold. Championships are indelible and Knicks have not won since 1973 nor been to the finals since 1999. There are millions of fans who would jump on a championship bandwagon because they are either neutral on the knicks, or see them as perennial losers.

If your on the UK, your likely not to be objective. Thus, nobody cares about them around here except JRod, Who cares more that I have a passing history and a history that dates back pre New Jersey era.
THat ancient ABA era with DR J.

1. They are in our division.
2. They are written about in the NY media because they are a NY team. Similarly I was always a NY team fan because of the exposure. Over time The Giants became my team, Yankees in Baseball (Saw an empic playoff game in Yankee stadium when Chris Chambliss hit a HR to win game and put yanks in world series!!!! Islanders epic run of 4 straight cups and there was the Knicks in the NBA, and the best player in the country played on Long Island in another league! Mets and Yankees were not really rivals because they did not play each other. Knicks and Nets were not rivals either.

Long story short, Im interested in their story more than any real attachment. I did root for them to succeed in the playoffs cuz I root for NY first. Thats just me.
Knicks need just take care of their own business and its all good. You think Im going to root for Clev or the Celtics should nets ever make playoffs again? Lakers over Nets in a finals? Hell no!!

But make no bones about it, there are fortunes of dollars at stake if Nets should win a title before Knicks!!
Yeah, I get it that die hard fans don't care. Im not here to "sell you" on this. Its a conversation. If you want to argue it, Im still here.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/7/2017  11:03 AM
Nalod wrote:But make no bones about it, there are fortunes of dollars at stake if Nets should win a title before Knicks!!
Yeah, I get it that die hard fans don't care. Im not here to "sell you" on this. Its a conversation. If you want to argue it, Im still here.

Millions of bandwagon fans, fortunes of dollars. Keep hoping.

What's a year on the UK without at least one Nalod Nets thread?

Don't be so oversensitive. Maybe it's time to go back to the future!

MS
Member: #724
8/7/2017  11:19 AM
Something to keep in mind

Average Nets ticket - $66.00

Average Knicks ticket $129.00

Keep in mind the Knicks have sucked for 15 years and they maintain the highest ticket price in the league.

Why would anyone take it easy on this team. The gauge the fan base dry to pay for the incompetence of management. How many guys has this team fired and paid off, how much money is wasted everyday on coaches and management and injured players.

Also keep in mind since 2000
Nets - .494
Knicks - .424

Nalod
USA
8/7/2017  1:24 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:But make no bones about it, there are fortunes of dollars at stake if Nets should win a title before Knicks!!

Millions of bandwagon fans, fortunes of dollars. Keep hoping.

What's a year on the UK without at least one Nalod Nets thread?

Don't be so oversensitive. Maybe it's time to go back to the future!

YOur like one of the old guys that meet everymorning at Mcdonalds and talk about the same thing over and over.
Making comments about what others say but never really bringing any substance to the conversation.

Jrod always got something to say about Nalod one conversation about the Nets every blue moon, and as the defender of all things Melo.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

8/8/2017  7:25 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:Teams that seriously need to tank keep talking all this politically correct BS because they are afraid of what? Does the league have an official position against tanking?

Adam Silver has come out publicly and said he was not opposed to nor felt the need to intervene directly with the 76ers and Sam Hinkie when they were clearly tanking. I mean outright, no holds barred tanking.

That was out in the press, face to face. Under the covers though, the NBA administration and the other owners were furious. Hinkie CHALLENGED THE ENTIRE SYSTEM. Which is clearly flawed. He highlighted that he understood what he was doing was a LOW PERCENTAGE CHANCE of working out, but it was BETTER THAN NO CHANCE AT ALL. Which is what the NBA structure creates.

The Warriors did it right. They are playing team ball. They are sacrificing. They are making good decisions. And clearly the league is trying hard to job them. They are not marketable. They are killing the ideal version of the playoffs where every series is a 7 game nail biter.

Sam Hinkie was basically taking out back and had a round put in the back of his head for doing his job. You can can disagree with the methodology, but you can't disagree with the principle. He committed to doing his job of making that franchise better. Even if it wasn't popular. And now he's been mostly vindicated. The 76ers are infinitely in a better position now than ever.

Hinkie was not a contrarian because he wanted to be proven right. He was a contrarian because he was trying do what he thought was right. I think in that kind of pressure cooker and culture, he was extremely brave. The guy has balls the size of the Empire State Building.

The NBA is horribly flawed. The open mantra is we want good solid fundamental team basketball and a commitment to team work and winning and unity. Blah blah blah. What they really want is some douchebag who can dunk over a car and sell a ton of shoes and can be involved in some wanna be soap opera storyline the networks can generate to incite drama. If Sam Hinkie had a brother who was a super executive at Nike, he'd still be in the league right now.

Lance Armstrong just came out and gutted people. He cheated. Everyone knows he cheated. When he was cheating, everyone knew it. But he was marketable. He was the face of his sport. He was a great 'story' to drive the narrative around. When he was finished and no longer useful, they went after him to increase the exposure to the sport. He even pointed this out. Where was all this backlash and this hunt when I was making everyone a ton of money?

The NBA wants its teams to win. As long it's the most marketable way possible. Otherwise, silently, no they don't want you to win. They won't want anyone who exposes how broken the system in place is, and how dysfunctional.

Nalod
USA
8/8/2017  10:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/8/2017  10:38 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:Teams that seriously need to tank keep talking all this politically correct BS because they are afraid of what? Does the league have an official position against tanking?

Adam Silver has come out publicly and said he was not opposed to nor felt the need to intervene directly with the 76ers and Sam Hinkie when they were clearly tanking. I mean outright, no holds barred tanking.

That was out in the press, face to face. Under the covers though, the NBA administration and the other owners were furious. Hinkie CHALLENGED THE ENTIRE SYSTEM. Which is clearly flawed. He highlighted that he understood what he was doing was a LOW PERCENTAGE CHANCE of working out, but it was BETTER THAN NO CHANCE AT ALL. Which is what the NBA structure creates.

The Warriors did it right. They are playing team ball. They are sacrificing. They are making good decisions. And clearly the league is trying hard to job them. They are not marketable. They are killing the ideal version of the playoffs where every series is a 7 game nail biter.

Sam Hinkie was basically taking out back and had a round put in the back of his head for doing his job. You can can disagree with the methodology, but you can't disagree with the principle. He committed to doing his job of making that franchise better. Even if it wasn't popular. And now he's been mostly vindicated. The 76ers are infinitely in a better position now than ever.

Hinkie was not a contrarian because he wanted to be proven right. He was a contrarian because he was trying do what he thought was right. I think in that kind of pressure cooker and culture, he was extremely brave. The guy has balls the size of the Empire State Building.

The NBA is horribly flawed. The open mantra is we want good solid fundamental team basketball and a commitment to team work and winning and unity. Blah blah blah. What they really want is some douchebag who can dunk over a car and sell a ton of shoes and can be involved in some wanna be soap opera storyline the networks can generate to incite drama. If Sam Hinkie had a brother who was a super executive at Nike, he'd still be in the league right now.

Lance Armstrong just came out and gutted people. He cheated. Everyone knows he cheated. When he was cheating, everyone knew it. But he was marketable. He was the face of his sport. He was a great 'story' to drive the narrative around. When he was finished and no longer useful, they went after him to increase the exposure to the sport. He even pointed this out. Where was all this backlash and this hunt when I was making everyone a ton of money?

The NBA wants its teams to win. As long it's the most marketable way possible. Otherwise, silently, no they don't want you to win. They won't want anyone who exposes how broken the system in place is, and how dysfunctional.

some good points. I think the most institutional starphuch of all time was the Roid era in baseball. Monster players gutting HR records and 43 year old fireball throwing pitchers were all the rage. Nolan ryan pitched 27 years, then a few years past retirement this world class athlete has a heart attack? Actually he had a scare and took himself to the hospital two years before he retired. Lat ball he threw was 98mph and they he was cooked. Yankees were a roid house for years. Think aaron boone, kevin brown, pettite, justice, giambi, shefield, arod, hitchcock, cleamons and others. Not saying they were the only team. Chili Davis played 19 years. At age 39 he had his 7th highest game total, batted .269, 79 RBI's and 19 HRs!!!! at age 37 he had his highest HR total in his career (30) playing for the Royals.
Think Paul O'neals temper tantrums roid induced?? Look at his career after he came to the yankees at age 30 and his power surge from age 33 on. Has best career year at age 35.
Scott Brocious becomes Babe freaking ruth as a yankee? Retires with one year at 7mm left on his contract while the Roid testing starts?

NFL is killing its players brains!!!

So Your outraged that teams sell its stars? Knicks fleeced its fans into thinking Melo was its savior.
NBA is flawed, but the sort of Hard Cap does help and give teams a level playing field and stars have stayed in small markets were they used to gravitate before.

Hinkie was cut down because the 76ers were joke and attendance on the road was awful. Personally I like the approach they were taking only because I found it interesting as they deviated from the norm.
Owner is a hedge fund guy and the thinking was to do something different and perhaps it adds up.
As for the outcome? Its still a work in process, but interesting as any.

Meanwhile across town.........

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy