[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is Marbury a greater threat as a shooting guard, free to score at will?
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
8/26/2004  3:46 PM
Who is Marsbar??????
Posted by codeunknown:

Utilizing Marbury's passing skills is a major part of our offense. As much as Marbster looks for his shot, every time Kurt would float open or TT flashed in the lane, that ball was right on the money. Moreover, playing Marsbar at shooting guard has distinct disadvantages. Marble is not a premier catch and shoot or catch and finish player - when he gets it, he's gonna drive it to the rim. Might as well cut out the middleman and let Marbunny hog the point.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
TLover
Member: #381
USA
8/26/2004  4:28 PM
The Knicks will have 2 point guards in the backcourt with Starbury & Crawford so it does'nt really matter. I think they can bring back the old Isiah/Dumars backcourt.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/26/2004  5:22 PM
Posted by bsw3:

seriously fishmike, you're trying to tell me houston is the best scorer on the team by throwing out that huge 22 point per game season he had two years ago?? are you kidding me? steph averaged 24 a game his last year with the nets, and 22 a game his last year in phoenix. not to mention that every year steph gets in the top ten in points, he's also there in assists too. and AH's only real scoring threat is from behind the line. he's not a real threat getting to the basket. steph scores from all over the court. from 0 to 35 feet. nobody else has that kind of range in the league. stephon is one of the best scorers in the league, not to mention on the knicks.
exactly
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
8/26/2004  5:28 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Exactly.

Posted by Bonn1997:

Exactly

Posted by mintyfreshness33:

Exactly.

Posted by Silverfuel:

exactly

Exactly...

[Edited by - eViL on 08/26/2004 17:38:29]
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/26/2004  7:07 PM
Posted by eViL:
Posted by crzymdups:

Exactly.

Posted by Bonn1997:

Exactly

Posted by mintyfreshness33:

Exactly.

Posted by Silverfuel:

exactly

Exactly...

[Edited by - eViL on 08/26/2004 17:38:29]

LOL, I was thinkin the same thing.
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
8/26/2004  7:29 PM
Back to the topic... The question asked is 'will Marbury be a greater (scoring) threat at shooting guard?' The answer is subjective.

The question should be: What combination of the back court would be best late in the game?

I would want healthy Houston at SF, Crawford as SG and Marbury as the PG. (That way teams would be punished to double team him, or trap him with their quickest defenders [the back three]). I want Marbury instead of Crawford as the PG because the PG is the hardest position to learn. Until Crawford picks it up, we should leave it to Marbury. Plus, Crawford is taller and able to guard SG's better.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/26/2004  7:45 PM
I havent seen Crawford play enough to know how well he would be a running the point but if he can handle the job at times it gives the Knicks great flexibilty especially when its a backcourt of Marbury/Crawford.Say Crawford is having trouble finding his shot,Marbury could switch to the 2 spot and provide the extra offense if needed and Crawford can look for the open man.It means that Lenny has the option of letting Marbury loose and still have someone to distribute the ball.It means he doesnt have to go to moochie who is often one dribble away from a turnover.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/27/2004  7:02 AM
Posted by codeunknown:

Utilizing Marbury's passing skills is a major part of our offense. As much as Marbster looks for his shot, every time Kurt would float open or TT flashed in the lane, that ball was right on the money. Moreover, playing Marsbar at shooting guard has distinct disadvantages. Marble is not a premier catch and shoot or catch and finish player - when he gets it, he's gonna drive it to the rim. Might as well cut out the middleman and let Marbunny hog the point.

That was very clever; I liked how you continually shifted his name just a little. Marbunny. Anyway, good post, and I agree.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/27/2004  10:43 AM
Posted by PhilinLA:

Marbury has averaged 8 assists a game over his career, mostly with crappy teammates. He'll be a superstar if they ever get the right parts around him, and Craw is a nice start.

I don't know about this crappy teammates bit. He's had some pretty good teammates on most of his stops. I think the 2003-2004 Knicks were the arguably the least talented team (when healthy) he's been on.
I think it's a testament to how much he's improved since being a Net that the Knicks ended up making the playoffs.

The T-Wolves teams had Gugliotta and Garnett (future MVP)... They were weak around the fringes, but they had nice young talent.

The Nets teams had talent, but they had major injuries all around, including Jayson Williams's career ending broken leg, courtesy of Marbury's head. Lots of setbacks. Kind of similar talent to the Knicks, where Marbury sure seemed like the clear #1 scoring option.

Phoenix had excellent options to pass to-- Marion, Stoudemire... plus a bunch of shooters... not to mention Penny and the emerging Joe Johnson. While not an NBA championship caliber bunch (because of their weak center position), this group should have helped Marbury put up great numbers.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
8/27/2004  10:46 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by toodarkmark:

Since the trade for Crawford I've been excited about the two man game J Craw and Starbury will be playing. I think when they get their chemistry right, it will compliment both their games a la
S Francis and C Mobley, but I think better than those two. Two talented combo guards both capable of dropping 50 points. Add in Houston and no matter what his health, they have an incredible outside threat. I see all 3 on the court together often.
It wouold be great if all 3 of them each scored 50 points in the same game!

Tim Thomas can have 75 assists.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
Is Marbury a greater threat as a shooting guard, free to score at will?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy