[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is Marbury a greater threat as a shooting guard, free to score at will?
Author Thread
colorfl1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #731
Canada
8/26/2004  12:11 PM
With Crawford on board, the Knicks may be tougher to defend with Stephon gunning.
He seems unstopable when he is not bogged down by setting up an offence and getting everyone involved.
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/26/2004  12:25 PM
Good topic.
As far as my oppinion goes, I trust Stephon the most to set up his teammates and the offense. Steph can pick up the scoring load if we need it, but otherwise we are fine with Houston, Craw, and TT shooting the ball.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/26/2004  12:32 PM
no no no

His real value is in setting people up and making them better. Lots of good scorers in the league, not as many make others better. I dont see him as bogged down at all, and I dont care if he takes 25 shots a game, so long as 24 of them are GOOD shots.

the thing w/ Marbury is he gets knocked as a PG for looking for his own shot, but he's pretty damn good at getting his own shot. When he's creating easy buckets for others is when he totally dominate a game.

Today is a perfect example. His scoring was dominating, but it wasnt like others were just standing around watching him... he got everyone involved and when they tried to bunch up on Marbury Iverson made them pay.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
colorfl1
Canada
8/26/2004  12:33 PM
You need to consider,
Who is the best scorer on this team.
Not H2O,
Not Twirly Tim,
Definately not Penny.

Stephon is you best scorer, shouldn't he be free to score.

The way I see it, if Stephon played SG, he can be equally, if not more dangerous that Kobe.

colorfl1
Canada
8/26/2004  12:36 PM
Playing SG does not keep you from making your teamates better.
I believe Jordan did a fine job making his teamates better from the SG position.
The difference is that MJ had freedom to dominate...

[Edited by - colorfl1 on 08/26/2004 12:37:29]
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/26/2004  12:37 PM
Posted by fishmike:

no no no

His real value is in setting people up and making them better. Lots of good scorers in the league, not as many make others better. I dont see him as bogged down at all, and I dont care if he takes 25 shots a game, so long as 24 of them are GOOD shots.

the thing w/ Marbury is he gets knocked as a PG for looking for his own shot, but he's pretty damn good at getting his own shot. When he's creating easy buckets for others is when he totally dominate a game.

Today is a perfect example. His scoring was dominating, but it wasnt like others were just standing around watching him... he got everyone involved and when they tried to bunch up on Marbury Iverson made them pay.

Exactly.
¿ △ ?
MaTT4281
USA
8/26/2004  12:38 PM
Stephon is you best scorer, shouldn't he be free to score.
He also is our best passer, and all around PG.
colorfl1
Canada
8/26/2004  12:40 PM
But where will he give us the best oppertunity to win games?
MaTT4281
USA
8/26/2004  12:43 PM
At PG, where he can help H20, Craw, TT, and hopefully sweets, take over the scoring load.
fishmike
USA
8/26/2004  12:53 PM
the best scorer on this team IS Allan Houston. 2 years ago he averaged 22 points a game and for most of the year was among the top 10 in NBA scoring. All this with NO post play at all and NO pg to set him up for easy shots. The closest he had was Sprewell to set him up.

Now injury is clearly a concern and nobody w/ know what he really has left until we see him for 40 games and a dozen back to backs.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/26/2004  1:14 PM
Posted by fishmike:

no no no

Exactly
bsw3
Member: #589
8/26/2004  2:33 PM
seriously fishmike, you're trying to tell me houston is the best scorer on the team by throwing out that huge 22 point per game season he had two years ago?? are you kidding me? steph averaged 24 a game his last year with the nets, and 22 a game his last year in phoenix. not to mention that every year steph gets in the top ten in points, he's also there in assists too. and AH's only real scoring threat is from behind the line. he's not a real threat getting to the basket. steph scores from all over the court. from 0 to 35 feet. nobody else has that kind of range in the league. stephon is one of the best scorers in the league, not to mention on the knicks.
fishmike
USA
8/26/2004  2:42 PM
that was in response to whether or not Marbury is better suited at the 2.

There is no doutb that Marbury can score more, but Houston isnt just a 3 point shooter. He's got that and one of the best mid range games in the NBA. What makes the 22 points a game impressive is he did it no pg or post player to create space for him, and he's not good at creating is own shot.

Marbury isnt half the shooter Houston is, plain and simple. They are different players. Marbury's value is in his scoring and playmaking. Having Houston healthy will make Marbury's job 1000 times easier. Tell me one shooter even close to Houston that Marbury has ever had a chance to play will. KVH? Please...
mintyfreshness33
Member: #586
USA
8/26/2004  2:43 PM
no no no

Exactly.
toodarkmark
Member: #515
USA
8/26/2004  2:44 PM
Since the trade for Crawford I've been excited about the two man game J Craw and Starbury will be playing. I think when they get their chemistry right, it will compliment both their games a la
S Francis and C Mobley, but I think better than those two. Two talented combo guards both capable of dropping 50 points. Add in Houston and no matter what his health, they have an incredible outside threat. I see all 3 on the court together often.

I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
PhilinLA
Member: #696
8/26/2004  3:07 PM
Marbury has averaged 8 assists a game over his career, mostly with crappy teammates. He'll be a superstar if they ever get the right parts around him, and Craw is a nice start.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/26/2004  3:11 PM
I like Marbury at the point. Offensive sets initiate faster without having to set up Marbs at a wing position. Also, Marbs gets the ball where he is most effective, at the top of the key. Having Marbury as the primary ball handler serves up maximum pressure on the defense. Not to mention he is a better decision maker on pick and rolls than Crawford. Being the point guard and being a prolific scorer are not mutually exclusive.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/26/2004  3:15 PM
Posted by toodarkmark:

Since the trade for Crawford I've been excited about the two man game J Craw and Starbury will be playing. I think when they get their chemistry right, it will compliment both their games a la
S Francis and C Mobley, but I think better than those two. Two talented combo guards both capable of dropping 50 points. Add in Houston and no matter what his health, they have an incredible outside threat. I see all 3 on the court together often.
It wouold be great if all 3 of them each scored 50 points in the same game!
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
8/26/2004  3:19 PM
Actually, a lineup of Marb, Crawf, Houston, TT, Naser can be an extremely potent one. However, the only problem with this lineup would be defense. Beside Naser, who would play Defense? Here is another scenario: Marb, Crawf, TT, JYD, Naser. Marb, Houston, TT, Sweetney, Vinny. Marb, Crawf, TT, Sweetney, Naser. Danm, however you turn it, we can be deadly.

Posted by toodarkmark:

The true Knickabocker..........
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/26/2004  3:42 PM
Utilizing Marbury's passing skills is a major part of our offense. As much as Marbster looks for his shot, every time Kurt would float open or TT flashed in the lane, that ball was right on the money. Moreover, playing Marsbar at shooting guard has distinct disadvantages. Marble is not a premier catch and shoot or catch and finish player - when he gets it, he's gonna drive it to the rim. Might as well cut out the middleman and let Marbunny hog the point.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Is Marbury a greater threat as a shooting guard, free to score at will?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy