Author Thread
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/26/2004  8:27 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Silverfuel:

I think the best we can hope for from Stephon is this season.
Not sure what you mean? Are you saying his career will go downhill after this year?
He has the best chance of exploding this year. More than any year he has had in the past.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
AUTOADVERT
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
8/26/2004  8:33 AM
I write this as Marbury is lighting up Spain at the Olympics:

Marbury has the talent to be a franchise player, he just needs the right situation to shine. NYK fans should be proud to have him on our team and look forward to good things from him. Think about it - would you rather have Ward and Eisley back at the point? Marbury is the man for us and he will bring energy back to the Garden. People can doubt him all they want, but the guy can play and NYK will be a better team because of him.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/26/2004  9:10 AM
Would you have thought a team built around Ben Wallace could have won a title a few years ago? OF COURSE the Knicks can win a title if they build a team around Marbury, as long as they get the right players to complement his game...i don't think there's been a team in the history of the NBA that's won a title w/1 star player & a mix of non-complementary players that lacked great team chemistry.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Silverfuel
USA
8/26/2004  9:23 AM
Thats exactly what I have said for the last 10 years. The Houston rockets had another 20pt scorer that year. The knicks need to support Marbury with a good team.

GUNS JUST REPORTED THAT MARBURY DROPPED 31 ON SPAIN. JUST AS ISIAH WOULD SAY. THATS MY BABY, HERCULES, HERCULES!!!!!
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/26/2004  10:55 AM
I believe Marbury is a franchise player.Would he be the man if Kobe was here?No.If James Worthy hadnt been a Laker playing with Kareem and Magic,he could have been a franchise player on some other team but wisely chose to take a backseat so to speak for the team and a chance to be a part of something great.I think the label franchise player sometimes gets confused with superstar which to me is someone who would be a franchise player on any team they play for.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/26/2004  11:25 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

He has the best chance of exploding this year. More than any year he has had in the past.

I don't believe that. I think he had better talent around him in Phoenix the last 2 years and it never happened for him there as far as team success goes. Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion are better than any 2 players we have to put with Marbury this season. I won't even count his first few years with Garnett because they were both so young.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
TMS
USA
8/26/2004  11:28 AM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Silverfuel:

I don't believe that. I think he had better talent around him in Phoenix the last 2 years and it never happened for him there as far as team success goes. Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion are better than any 2 players we have to put with Marbury this season. I won't even count his first few years with Garnett because they were both so young.

the difference is no one ever got into his head the way Isiah has before he got here.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
islesfan
8/26/2004  11:34 AM
I think that still remains to be seen.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
TMS
USA
8/26/2004  11:39 AM
you're right, it does remain to be seen, but it's not debateable that never has he had the influence of a guy like Isiah before he got here...& i believe he'll show some maturation in his game, leadership & attitude next year...but it does remain to be seen as you said.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/26/2004  11:43 AM
didnt they play the then champion Spurs and give them a legit scare before he got injured? I seem to remember him abusing Tony Parker in that series as well.

Amare had talent but 19 is 19. That team didnt have much depth either... I thought Marbury did a good job w/ that group. Last year that had a lot of injury problems
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
8/26/2004  11:46 AM
one thing my friend and I were talking about is Larry Brown is probably the only really good coach Marbury has played under. I'm not that high on Flip and Calipari was awfull at the pro level.

I'm not sure Lenny is the key either, but he's clearly at the point in his career where the next step is elevating the play of the guys around you. His 20/8 average is among NBA elite for a career. Now he's got to take a group on his back and make them better.
Silverfuel
USA
8/26/2004  11:48 AM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Silverfuel:

He will still have his best year this year.
islesfan
8/26/2004  11:55 AM
You're right, they did put a scare into the Spurs in the 1st rd but they also didn't have very good regular seasons. You'd have thought they would have built upon that playoff performance but instead they were awful last year which helped lead to the trade.
fishmike
USA
8/26/2004  12:10 PM
didnt Amare miss alot of time early last year? I thought that was a big reason for the slow start. Water under the bridge in any case.

Everyone knows what Marbury is capable of. Few players can fill out the stat sheet like he does, but he needs to make this group better.

I like that Isiah went and got some guys around him that should take some of the pressure off, in terms of how other teams defend him. W/ Crawford and a healthy TT no more doubling him at half court or the top of the 3 point line.
NYKfan1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #679
USA
8/26/2004  6:10 PM
ya amare missed 27 games last year, and a lot of them were while starbury was still with pheonix. that definetly played a big part in there problems howvever i remember hearing about how that team had bad chemistry in the lockeroom(especailly between steph and amare) and obviously for some reason last year on the court which also played a factor.
Marbury 2day showed why many consider him the most TALENTED pg in the league and this IS going to be the year where he steps up and prooves it.
Stephon Marbury: franchise player?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy