[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Off Topic: six months later, do people who voted for Trump still support this guy?
Author Thread
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

10/24/2017  5:43 PM
izybx wrote:Wait you told me to get out of my bubble, i guess the Bronx is in the bubble now? And I've lived in Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio, and Iowa. So there goes that. Whatever nix, you don't speak for all of us, speak for yourself and your own experiences. Who made you the spokesman for minorities? What gives you the right to act like you represent some sort of monolithic block?

Are you genuinely arguing the majority of minorities in the United States would testify that they don't believe discrimination prejudice exists in this country in any substantial way?

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/24/2017  5:56 PM
izybx wrote:Wait you told me to get out of my bubble, i guess the Bronx is in the bubble now? And I've lived in Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio, and Iowa. So there goes that. Whatever nix, you don't speak for all of us, speak for yourself and your own experiences. Who made you the spokesman for minorities? What gives you the right to act like you represent some sort of monolithic block?

AA’s escaped the South to New York, Chicago and Detroit. Life was far from perfect but nowhere near as bad as the South. You want brownie points for spending some time in a few states? What does that prove? You don’t seem to share the views of the majority of minorities in this country.

The Great Migration, or the relocation of more than 6 million African Americans from the rural South to the cities of the North, Midwest and West from 1916 to 1970, had a huge impact on urban life in the United States. Driven from their homes by unsatisfactory economic opportunities and harsh segregationist laws, many blacks headed north, where they took advantage of the need for industrial workers that first arose during the First World War. As Chicago, New York and other cities saw their black populations expand exponentially, migrants were forced to deal with poor working conditions and competition for living space, as well as widespread racism and prejudice. During the Great Migration, African Americans began to build a new place for themselves in public life, actively confronting economic, political and social challenges and creating a new black urban culture that would exert enormous influence in the decades to come.
http://www.history.com/topics/black-history/great-migration

I never said I speak for all minorities! I do however have a very good understanding of what life is like for the Majority of AA’s. I would say that my views mirror the MAJORITY of AA’s views towards systemic racism in this country.

I was born in Brooklyn during the 60s but my family is from the South as MOST AA’s can trace their ancestry. My family is Spread from New York, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, New Orleans and I live in Georgia. I know EXACTLY what people’s lives have been and are right now in these states.

nixluva
USA
10/24/2017  6:13 PM
Knickoftime wrote:

Are you genuinely arguing the majority of minorities in the United States would testify that they don't believe discrimination prejudice exists in this country in any substantial way?

This isn’t even a most recent poll but gives an idea of perceptions.

An Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll conducted in July 2015 found that 47 percent of whites said police sometimes treat minority groups more roughly - compared to 81 percent of blacks who felt the same way - and 52 percent of whites think police treat all races and ethnic groups equally. In the same poll, 45 percent of whites said poor relations between police and the public they serve is a major reason for police violence against civilians, compared to 73 percent of blacks.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/racial-polling-analysis-white-americans-racism-us/

The good news is that over time more and more Whites are believing Police treat minorities more roughly. IMO raising awareness is having a positive impact. It would help if Trump, his supporters in government and like thinking Right Wing Media weren’t stocking White resentment towards protesters.

Trump has not helped to bring people together. He stokes cultural divisions.

nixluva
USA
10/24/2017  10:30 PM
izybx
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1178
USA
10/24/2017  10:35 PM
Knickoftime wrote:

I'm talking about what I think, and giving my opinion based on my life experiences. I reject what you automatons are trying to do by put brown people in a box (labeled fragile). Rejecting the label of victim pushed on us is the first step to fulfilling the American dream, and of becoming successful.

Beat the Evil Empire. BEAT MIAMI
Knickoftime

10/24/2017  10:41 PM
izybx wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

I'm talking about what I think, and giving my opinion based on my life experiences.

Okay, understood.

I'll ask again.

Are you genuinely arguing the majority of minorities in the United States would testify that they don't believe discrimination and prejudice exists in this country in any substantial way?

Its a yes or no question.

izybx
USA
10/24/2017  10:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/24/2017  10:58 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
izybx wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

I'm talking about what I think, and giving my opinion based on my life experiences.

Okay, understood.

I'll ask again.

Are you genuinely arguing the majority of minorities in the United States would testify that they don't believe discrimination and prejudice exists in this country in any substantial way?

Lol a yes or no question? What you think youre on TV or something? Whats your point?

And let's say the majority of people do believe that there's rampant institutional racism? What then? What's your solution to such a massive, terrible problem?

Knickoftime

10/24/2017  11:11 PM
izybx wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
izybx wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Okay, understood.

I'll ask again.

Lol a yes or no question? What you think youre on TV or something? Whats your point?

And let's say the majority of people do believe that there's rampant institutional racism? What then? What's your solution to such a massive, terrible problem?

I'll be glad to answers all your questions.

My point in asking mine is to follow on on a subject you've been talking about.

So before we move to follow-up questions, can you answer the original question please?

nixluva
USA
10/24/2017  11:11 PM
izybx wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
izybx wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Okay, understood.

I'll ask again.

At least man up and give an answer!

You know what the first step in solving the problem is. Admitting it exists! That’s why they do studies on this to establish FACTS. This is a quantifiable problem and there are many people working to collect data in order to help address what is a very complex problem.

izybx
USA
10/25/2017  12:09 AM
We all know that large percentages of certain ethnic groups buy into the value of being perceived as a victim. So what's your point? If a lot of people think something then it must be true? I should change my beliefs because a lot of people disagree with me? (Or more to your point, people who look like me disagree with me, and I should get with the program?)

What's your point?

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
10/25/2017  1:11 AM
nixluva wrote:
izybx wrote:
nixluva wrote:
izybx wrote:Nixluva so what's your point, that some guy we never heard of before, who may or may not a actual person, made an offensive comment about someone else we never met before? Honestly who cares!

Do I have to go grab the MANY nasty and racist Tweets and Facebook posts to make it clear just how many people out there have horribly racist views? Of course it’s not about one individual.

The story of America is stained by the refusal of White Americans to recognize how widespread White Supremacists are among them. It’s been that way since day one. Good people not standing up to the bigots among them and doing all they can to eradicate those racist views from their communities.

You can post all the Facebook nonsense you want, I've never met a white supremacist, and up until a couple years ago no one even talked about them! All of a sudden, according to you, they are everywhere, yet I can't find any and no one I know can find any. Some story of America you have, is it a fairy tale?

And by the way, I am standing up to racist views, that's why I started discoursing with you. How do you lump a whole group of people together by their skin color. White America? What does an Italian from the Bronx have in common with a Irish guy from Wyoming? Can you tell me of some other ways that is ok to judge people by the color of their skin? You should be ashamed of yourself!

Yes it's all a made up! I'm just a conspiracy theorist cuz everyone knows there are no White Supremacists or Antisemites or Nativists in America. No history of that at all in fact. We've all gotten along just GREAT for hundreds of years in this country.

To be sure "Whiteness" is a fluid thing. Irish when they 1st came were not considered "White". The same for the Italians. The thing is that it's more about creating a "Bottom Class" that is NOT part of the upper classes. Over time Irish and Italians got admitted to the club, but not African Americans. See there had to be a Bottom Class. The reason the Africans got to be the dividing line is as simple as their dark skin. Made things so much easier to create that bottom class.

As for my story of America, i've got a good one. One that extends before this was even a country. Just a few Colonies to be exact. I know ALL ABOUT America.

You're view on this subject is what i'm fighting against because that's how White Supremacists have survived all these years. White America never fully addresses what is a White Problem! Minorities can't solve White Supremacy. That can only happen when the Majority of White America decides to stop allowing it to exist.

The fact is that the founding fathers always knew that Slavery was wrong. They even tried to address it but they pacified those who wanted to keep Slavery until it finally came to a head. Even after the Civil War White America didn't seriously confront the problem. That meant another 100 years of Jim Crow Segregation and KKK Terrorism.

If you think that i'm simply grouping people by their skin color. I didn't start that. No person of Color started that in this country. Perhaps you've heard of the "One Drop" rule. Why would it matter if you had one drop of African Blood? White Supremacy required that you had a strict separation of the Races. White Supremacists exist in this country and that goes all the way back to 1619.

The justification of white supremacy has often rested on a veneer of civility. Blatant and unabashed white supremacist language has rarely been used to uphold slavery. Instead, America’s putrid racism has often been cloaked by depictions intended to make it seem respectable. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Southern slaveholders said the Bible compelled them to hold slaves—that, in fact, civilizing black people was a good Christian way of “liberating” them from savagery. “Christians across the Confederacy were convinced that they were called not only to perpetuate slavery but also to ‘perfect’ it. And they understood the Bible to provide clear moral guidelines on how to properly practice it,” wrote Thom Bassett in The New York Times.
https://www.thenation.com/article/fighting-white-supremacy-means-owning-up-to-american-history/

In citing slavery, South Carolina was less an outlier than a leader, setting the tone for other states, including Mississippi:

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery—the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin…

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/what-this-cruel-war-was-over/396482/

THIS COUNTRY WAS ESTABLISHED ON WHITE SUPREMACY! We've been fighting to uproot it ever since.

Hmmm... What about black skin Indians, all late immigrants from Africa? Are they members of the club or BOTTOM class?
What about Asians? What about Latin Americans? First are members and second are bottomers... or are they?
Jews of course are supper-white but hated by white supremacists... but still supper-members of the club...
What about Russians and other Western Europeans nasty gang? Scary people... are they?
They are kind of white but are thy in the club or bottomers....
You "dumbification" of the America has no limits...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
smackeddog
Member: #883
10/25/2017  1:28 AM
izybx wrote:We all know that large percentages of certain ethnic groups buy into the value of being perceived as a victim. So what's your point? If a lot of people think something then it must be true? I should change my beliefs because a lot of people disagree with me? (Or more to your point, people who look like me disagree with me, and I should get with the program?)

What's your point?

I don't understand your reasoning - you started off claiming your subjective experience is the only thing that's true and is all that counts, now you're saying other people's subjective experience can't be trusted

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

10/25/2017  1:56 AM
izybx wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

I'm talking about what I think, and giving my opinion based on my life experiences. I reject what you automatons are trying to do by put brown people in a box (labeled fragile). Rejecting the label of victim pushed on us is the first step to fulfilling the American dream, and of becoming successful.

Aren't you a police officer? What would you know about success, to lecture people about how to attain it?

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

10/25/2017  2:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/25/2017  2:05 AM
smackeddog wrote:
izybx wrote:We all know that large percentages of certain ethnic groups buy into the value of being perceived as a victim. So what's your point? If a lot of people think something then it must be true? I should change my beliefs because a lot of people disagree with me? (Or more to your point, people who look like me disagree with me, and I should get with the program?)

What's your point?

I don't understand your reasoning - you started off claiming your subjective experience is the only thing that's true and is all that counts, now you're saying other people's subjective experience can't be trusted

Isn't this the same dude that shamed people for being on government assistance (talked about how people needed to pull themselves up by the bootstraps, etc.), only for him to later drop the tidbit that he/his family was on government assistance? If so, reasoning might not be a strength for him. You've been forewarned, lol.

nixluva
USA
10/25/2017  2:19 AM
arkrud wrote:
nixluva wrote:
izybx wrote:
nixluva wrote:
izybx wrote:Nixluva so what's your point, that some guy we never heard of before, who may or may not a actual person, made an offensive comment about someone else we never met before? Honestly who cares!

Do I have to go grab the MANY nasty and racist Tweets and Facebook posts to make it clear just how many people out there have horribly racist views? Of course it’s not about one individual.

The story of America is stained by the refusal of White Americans to recognize how widespread White Supremacists are among them. It’s been that way since day one. Good people not standing up to the bigots among them and doing all they can to eradicate those racist views from their communities.

You can post all the Facebook nonsense you want, I've never met a white supremacist, and up until a couple years ago no one even talked about them! All of a sudden, according to you, they are everywhere, yet I can't find any and no one I know can find any. Some story of America you have, is it a fairy tale?

And by the way, I am standing up to racist views, that's why I started discoursing with you. How do you lump a whole group of people together by their skin color. White America? What does an Italian from the Bronx have in common with a Irish guy from Wyoming? Can you tell me of some other ways that is ok to judge people by the color of their skin? You should be ashamed of yourself!

Yes it's all a made up! I'm just a conspiracy theorist cuz everyone knows there are no White Supremacists or Antisemites or Nativists in America. No history of that at all in fact. We've all gotten along just GREAT for hundreds of years in this country.

To be sure "Whiteness" is a fluid thing. Irish when they 1st came were not considered "White". The same for the Italians. The thing is that it's more about creating a "Bottom Class" that is NOT part of the upper classes. Over time Irish and Italians got admitted to the club, but not African Americans. See there had to be a Bottom Class. The reason the Africans got to be the dividing line is as simple as their dark skin. Made things so much easier to create that bottom class.

As for my story of America, i've got a good one. One that extends before this was even a country. Just a few Colonies to be exact. I know ALL ABOUT America.

You're view on this subject is what i'm fighting against because that's how White Supremacists have survived all these years. White America never fully addresses what is a White Problem! Minorities can't solve White Supremacy. That can only happen when the Majority of White America decides to stop allowing it to exist.

The fact is that the founding fathers always knew that Slavery was wrong. They even tried to address it but they pacified those who wanted to keep Slavery until it finally came to a head. Even after the Civil War White America didn't seriously confront the problem. That meant another 100 years of Jim Crow Segregation and KKK Terrorism.

If you think that i'm simply grouping people by their skin color. I didn't start that. No person of Color started that in this country. Perhaps you've heard of the "One Drop" rule. Why would it matter if you had one drop of African Blood? White Supremacy required that you had a strict separation of the Races. White Supremacists exist in this country and that goes all the way back to 1619.

The justification of white supremacy has often rested on a veneer of civility. Blatant and unabashed white supremacist language has rarely been used to uphold slavery. Instead, America’s putrid racism has often been cloaked by depictions intended to make it seem respectable. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Southern slaveholders said the Bible compelled them to hold slaves—that, in fact, civilizing black people was a good Christian way of “liberating” them from savagery. “Christians across the Confederacy were convinced that they were called not only to perpetuate slavery but also to ‘perfect’ it. And they understood the Bible to provide clear moral guidelines on how to properly practice it,” wrote Thom Bassett in The New York Times.
https://www.thenation.com/article/fighting-white-supremacy-means-owning-up-to-american-history/

In citing slavery, South Carolina was less an outlier than a leader, setting the tone for other states, including Mississippi:

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery—the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin…

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/what-this-cruel-war-was-over/396482/

THIS COUNTRY WAS ESTABLISHED ON WHITE SUPREMACY! We've been fighting to uproot it ever since.

Hmmm... What about black skin Indians, all late immigrants from Africa? Are they members of the club or BOTTOM class?
What about Asians? What about Latin Americans? First are members and second are bottomers... or are they?
Jews of course are supper-white but hated by white supremacists... but still supper-members of the club...
What about Russians and other Western Europeans nasty gang? Scary people... are they?

Why do you even bother to comment if you’re not going to do any kind of research on the subject! You better not have too much of a Tan and get caught out here in some areas of the South! You think this is a game? You know NOTHING about what I’m talking about.

You don’t live in a town that’s ALWAYS been run by the KKK and they still parade thru downtown. You don’t live where just going for a drive you pass giant Confederate Flags just to let everyone know you better not stop there! You don’t have heavily armed White Militias where you live!

Some of you guys have no F’n idea cuz you don’t get out of your bubble. You think everything is OK cuz it’s 2017 and not 1860 or 1960! I’m telling you that this stuff is real.

izybx
USA
10/25/2017  2:34 AM
smackeddog wrote:

What's your point?

We're just getting into circular logic here. So what should be done about this rampant racism? We just going to wring our hands about it?

izybx
USA
10/25/2017  2:35 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
izybx wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Aren't you a police officer? What would you know about success, to lecture people about how to attain it?

Why are you going to come in here and be nasty for? We're all on the computer little man, don't use it as an excuse to be rude.

smackeddog
Member: #883
10/25/2017  3:04 AM
izybx wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

What's your point?

We're just getting into circular logic here. So what should be done about this rampant racism? We just going to wring our hands about it?

Well, acknowledging it would be a start rather than saying "never experienced it buddy, therefore it cannot exist!"

You sound very proud of yourself and your achievements, I'm not sure why you can't be proud and at the same time acknowledge racism exists

izybx
USA
10/25/2017  3:31 AM
smackeddog wrote:
izybx wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

What's your point?

Well, acknowledging it would be a start rather than saying "never experienced it buddy, therefore it cannot exist!"

You sound very proud of yourself and your achievements, I'm not sure why you can't be proud and at the same time acknowledge racism exists

I'm not disputing that racism exists, I don't agree with people who denigrate an entire race of people as either racists or being complicit with racists. I don't agree with that. I disagree with people who view racism as rampant.

So is that the solution? That we acknowledge that racism exists?

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
10/25/2017  8:15 AM
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:
nixluva wrote:
izybx wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Why do you even bother to comment if you’re not going to do any kind of research on the subject! You better not have too much of a Tan and get caught out here in some areas of the South! You think this is a game? You know NOTHING about what I’m talking about.

You don’t live in a town that’s ALWAYS been run by the KKK and they still parade thru downtown. You don’t live where just going for a drive you pass giant Confederate Flags just to let everyone know you better not stop there! You don’t have heavily armed White Militias where you live!

Some of you guys have no F’n idea cuz you don’t get out of your bubble. You think everything is OK cuz it’s 2017 and not 1860 or 1960! I’m telling you that this stuff is real.

I am talking about Bill, but you always reply about John....
It is to late to break this short circuit in you brain.
Have a nice day!!!

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Off Topic: six months later, do people who voted for Trump still support this guy?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy