[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Off Topic: six months later, do people who voted for Trump still support this guy?
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
9/27/2017  1:43 PM
arkrud wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
djsunyc wrote:damn pop

Mad respect as usual. Thanks for speaking out on this.

Our country is such an embarrassment--so poorly run that you live in a ten million dollar home and tip people 10g's a sitting. Yep you could do that in any other country in the world. I think some people really have to move out if they dont like it. Actually if you spoke out like this on TV in China or Russia--you might not see tomorrow let alone live in luxury.

I didnt like what D Trump said on Friday either--I dont think a President needs to chide an athlete and certainly he had some F gaul swearing at them. Those owners who probably agreed with Trump MUCH more so than with the few players that knelt were personally assaulted by him Friday. Thats their billion $ business--wtf do you thin k they are going to do at that point???? That wasn't against anything other than their pocket books. Those guys are cut throat MFers--they are loyal to their pockets.

Go travelling, you'll find most people in the world either fear Trump's ineptitude or ridicule him- Pops was right. Trump is a joke to most people in the world, albeit a dangerous one

"Our country is an embarrassment to the world" Did I get the word wrong? In 10 months did Trump create the world's problems or did they already exist? If Pop was so concerned why didnt he take a knee 20 years ago?

Did you go check out everything Pop said? He made a lot of profound statements. I think you're focused on that one comment and missed the rest of his message which was right on. This isn't about leaving the country if you don't like some of the bad things about this country. You speak up and criticize cuz you want the country to be BETTER and to live up to its highest ideals. Why is it so many never seem to get this?

I think you and many others who share your opinion need to really open your mind and try to understand what this is all about. Stop being on the wrong side of History! These comments you made are the same that were said about Frederick Douglas, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King and Muhammed Ali. Think about that.

Yep Nixluva its called democracy--thats the US--nothing else.

64% of people believe players should stand Nixluva--tahts a VERY high number--you believe in Democracy right? So while we both agree that Trump came across poorly Friday--there are a LOT of people who agree with him. Where was Obama taking a knee from the highest platform? In Hawaii I guess.
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/26/new-survey-shows-64-of-americans-believe-players-should-stand-for-national-anthem/

I'm afraid you AND those Americans are on the WRONG SIDE OF HISTORY! This is no different than public opinion of Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement. At that time most Americans were against their movement but they kept up the fight and eventually Americans realized that King and the others in the Civil Rights Movement were RIGHT!!!

As I said you need to stop being on the wrong side of history.

64% do you understand what democracy means? This country was built a long time ago Nixluva and its a pretty darn good country all things considered. Its a meting pot of complexities--NEVER EVER EVR going to be perfect society. And 64% might be an artificially low number--its higher than that.

Nixluva you make a living that you probably wouldnt make in ANY other country in the world? You give your family a good life--have done positive things? Many countries people only dream of what you have Nixluva???????? You understand that right??

When you talk I must say it is very revealing of the very same sentiments that have been used for centuries to defend the indefensible. Do you know that Slave Owners claimed they were actually doing Slaves a favor by enslaving them?

You don't know how much better my life would be if this was a fair and equal society. If my ancestors weren't enslaved and later segregated and oppressed!!! To be honest there's never been a time when AA's have had fair treatment in this country. Not individuals but the entire race of AA's. For us there were no GOOD OLE DAYS!!! Do you understand that? I can go back to the 1700's before the founding of the United States and my ancestors were here getting worked like mules.

We fought in all the wars. Built this country's wealth and were deprived of our due share. To this very day things are not equal. Stop trying to tell us we should be greatful.

Man everything relates back to race for you--I wasnt even talking about race. Actually its people like you who are a big problem. You throw around the word "oppressed" instead of using examples of why anyone can be what they want to be in this country. You downplay the opportunity the uS gives EVERY single person and you bait it with racial disparity. Nixluva--you have ZERO appreciation for a country that made you a great life. You like to teach history but youre a BAD teacher my friend. If you want to do something teach and preach to people what they can be instead of picturing a blindly bleak face on things. Slavery occurred all over the world nixluva--thats history--nothing we can do about it now. But we can bring examples of what is good and what can be achieved. But you like hate more than you like optimism. Nixluva there are hundreds of millions--maybe billions of people oppressed around the world. People cant own a home many people dont even have rations of food for a day. You dont even understand what oppressed means--you were never oppressed for one minute of your life--Id bet on that. My bet is you have a nice home were afford more luxuries than 99% of the rest of the Earth--brought up good kidswho had a good education and you downplay the great opportunity the uS gave you by spewing gibberish nonsense. You're a problem--you are no solution--youre take is the embarrassing part. Everything you have you take for granted. Half my family was incinerated--every day I see my children Im happy. I started off behind the gun in this world when my dad died when I was 8(my mom pregnant with my little brother) This country gave me opportunity and ive done this best I could do--with some health issues at a young age to boot. I appreciate the flag and what it means--but UNLIKE TrUMP I accept thoughtful disagreement on issue. I do NOT agree with his bashing style--but as you tell me I am on the wrong side of history--my opinion of you is come into the year 2017 and appreciate the things the uS gave you and stop focusing on problem of the past. Guys like Popovich never gave Trump or democracy one minute of chance--he was obstructed and resisted from minute 1 because a large bunch of people didnt get what they wanted. He certainly isnt the nicest person but I believe 100% that he wants the greater good for everyone--still do and that Hillary Clinton was not a viable choice. Dont write me back a page long diatribe on why you believe you were oppressed when there are billions of people who really ARE oppressed in the world--give it a needed break.

America has been molded into America through Democracy that was forged through protest and war. Our level of Democracy is what has made other countries envious of America. Democracy is what opened up these opportunities. The standards have been set due to the lives lost and sacrifices made to make it this way. Going back on those standards and only claiming well at least we aren't as bad as some other country. Is more of a slap in the face to those that gave their lives and made those sacrifices to reach these standards of Democracy. And America through Democracy should continue to evolve and progress. Which won't happen by settling. But can only happen by challenging any area that isn't holding up to its standards.

Briggs you are rightfully thankful for the opportunity that America has given you do to your experience. But how about Kalief Browders American experience.

(May 25, 1993 – June 6, 2015) was an African American male who was arrested at the age of 16 for allegedly stealing a backpack. He was imprisoned for three years on Rikers Island without trial and spent most of this time in solitary confinement. Two years after his release, Browder died by suicide. His case is cited by activists who call for the reform of the New York City criminal justice system and is the subject of a six-part documentaries on Spike and Netflix entitled TIME: The Kalief Browder Story.

No conviction says to African Americans that our lives don't matter. These are the feelings that lead to people kneeling down during an National Anthem. I want you to ask yourself if it was the reverse. If all these African Americans ended up taking officers lives. And all of them were able to beat their cases. What would you opinion of these events be?

Slavery is the only knowledge you seem to be able to posses about African American history or even present. That's the level of effort you have put into trying to gain understanding. So thinking you can tell African Americans how they should feel isn't valid.

I do not think anyone is debating that police brutality and use of fatal force should be tolerated.
And no one here is under impression that the US law enforcement system and law itself is perfect and free of prejudice.
We all know that the problems are there and that they must be addressed.
The debate is about the method that athletes selected to bring the public attentions to this issues and if this will bring more good that bad.
Will this unite people of good will to solve the issues on hand or draw then even more apart to ultimately be a bigger block to resolve this problems.
Why athletes who want to put law enforcement reform at the forefront of national debate will not just stop playing altogether and go on strike until the issue is taken on by Congress and President?
Why to bring another divisive point of patriotism in play to make the issue even more problematic as it already is?

Kap when he started was sitting. It wasn't until he met with a Navy seal(I'm heading to work so can't fact check the title of serviceman) who told him that it would mean more to them if he knelt instead of sat. Kap complied said no problem. So a Navy seal is the one who influenced him to kneel through dialog created when Kap first started sitting which people weren't even aware of until a news reporter caught notice and asked him.

I have heard military people say they are disrespected. I have heard military people say that him exercising his right to do so is what they fight for.

These issues have gone on so long Arkud that there is no faith in the necessary progress being made without using methods which get people uncomfortable. To protest in a way where people are comfortable means these issues continue to get swept under the rug.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/27/2017  1:44 PM
nixluva wrote:White Society seems to always want to tell Minorities to protest in a manner that makes them feel comfortable. What they really want is for us to shut up 🤐

They used to say to Civil Rights activists that they too shouldn't be causing so much trouble.

What is "White Society" again?
I am 20 years in US and never sow one.
Is it located on the moon?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

9/27/2017  1:49 PM
arkrud wrote:
nixluva wrote:White Society seems to always want to tell Minorities to protest in a manner that makes them feel comfortable. What they really want is for us to shut up 🤐

They used to say to Civil Rights activists that they too shouldn't be causing so much trouble.

That's an intellectually empty response and I think you know it. You've ignored his idea based on his wording. People who are protesting the anthem protesting are largely white. That's accurate and all that matters for his point to be valid.

Elevate the discourse.

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/27/2017  1:52 PM
nyk4ever wrote:the only way ANYONE gets anything in this world is by hard work and perseverance, nobody owes anybody anything. im white, from a middle-class family, i (no one else) paid for my own college, no one gave me money to goto college, i didn't get any scholarships, stipends, or anything like that and my parents didn't have the money to send me. so i paid for it, all of it, and i'm STILL paying for it 10 years later. i dont have a grandparent that left me a wad of cash or anything like that, so, ive learned that the only way that i can make anything happen for myself is taking the bull by the horns and achieving it myself. growing up, while in highschool, i had to work 3 different jobs to make money. i worked with a carpenter, at a hardware store and at a drug store. i went to high-school and worked 6 days a week, sometimes 7, nobody gave me a job, i went out and looked for them.

you come in this world alone and you leave it alone, so why would i or anyone else expect to be given anything?

You didn't magically appear, you were born into the world via your parents who gave you life and raised you at great financial cost to themselves. Your entire development into adult hood was based on freebies. What you received for free was based on the financial position of your parents, their nature and caring abilities. We are relational beings. Most people spend their lives looking for love and friends. This individualistic nonsense is a myth- no one is an island. Everyone got where they are today thanks to the care and nurturing of others.

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/27/2017  1:55 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
djsunyc wrote:damn pop

Mad respect as usual. Thanks for speaking out on this.

Our country is such an embarrassment--so poorly run that you live in a ten million dollar home and tip people 10g's a sitting. Yep you could do that in any other country in the world. I think some people really have to move out if they dont like it. Actually if you spoke out like this on TV in China or Russia--you might not see tomorrow let alone live in luxury.

I didnt like what D Trump said on Friday either--I dont think a President needs to chide an athlete and certainly he had some F gaul swearing at them. Those owners who probably agreed with Trump MUCH more so than with the few players that knelt were personally assaulted by him Friday. Thats their billion $ business--wtf do you thin k they are going to do at that point???? That wasn't against anything other than their pocket books. Those guys are cut throat MFers--they are loyal to their pockets.

Go travelling, you'll find most people in the world either fear Trump's ineptitude or ridicule him- Pops was right. Trump is a joke to most people in the world, albeit a dangerous one

"Our country is an embarrassment to the world" Did I get the word wrong? In 10 months did Trump create the world's problems or did they already exist? If Pop was so concerned why didnt he take a knee 20 years ago?

Did you go check out everything Pop said? He made a lot of profound statements. I think you're focused on that one comment and missed the rest of his message which was right on. This isn't about leaving the country if you don't like some of the bad things about this country. You speak up and criticize cuz you want the country to be BETTER and to live up to its highest ideals. Why is it so many never seem to get this?

I think you and many others who share your opinion need to really open your mind and try to understand what this is all about. Stop being on the wrong side of History! These comments you made are the same that were said about Frederick Douglas, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King and Muhammed Ali. Think about that.

Yep Nixluva its called democracy--thats the US--nothing else.

64% of people believe players should stand Nixluva--tahts a VERY high number--you believe in Democracy right? So while we both agree that Trump came across poorly Friday--there are a LOT of people who agree with him. Where was Obama taking a knee from the highest platform? In Hawaii I guess.
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/26/new-survey-shows-64-of-americans-believe-players-should-stand-for-national-anthem/

I'm afraid you AND those Americans are on the WRONG SIDE OF HISTORY! This is no different than public opinion of Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement. At that time most Americans were against their movement but they kept up the fight and eventually Americans realized that King and the others in the Civil Rights Movement were RIGHT!!!

As I said you need to stop being on the wrong side of history.

64% do you understand what democracy means? This country was built a long time ago Nixluva and its a pretty darn good country all things considered. Its a meting pot of complexities--NEVER EVER EVR going to be perfect society. And 64% might be an artificially low number--its higher than that.

Nixluva you make a living that you probably wouldnt make in ANY other country in the world? You give your family a good life--have done positive things? Many countries people only dream of what you have Nixluva???????? You understand that right??

When you talk I must say it is very revealing of the very same sentiments that have been used for centuries to defend the indefensible. Do you know that Slave Owners claimed they were actually doing Slaves a favor by enslaving them?

You don't know how much better my life would be if this was a fair and equal society. If my ancestors weren't enslaved and later segregated and oppressed!!! To be honest there's never been a time when AA's have had fair treatment in this country. Not individuals but the entire race of AA's. For us there were no GOOD OLE DAYS!!! Do you understand that? I can go back to the 1700's before the founding of the United States and my ancestors were here getting worked like mules.

We fought in all the wars. Built this country's wealth and were deprived of our due share. To this very day things are not equal. Stop trying to tell us we should be greatful.

Man everything relates back to race for you--I wasnt even talking about race. Actually its people like you who are a big problem. You throw around the word "oppressed" instead of using examples of why anyone can be what they want to be in this country. You downplay the opportunity the uS gives EVERY single person and you bait it with racial disparity. Nixluva--you have ZERO appreciation for a country that made you a great life. You like to teach history but youre a BAD teacher my friend. If you want to do something teach and preach to people what they can be instead of picturing a blindly bleak face on things. Slavery occurred all over the world nixluva--thats history--nothing we can do about it now. But we can bring examples of what is good and what can be achieved. But you like hate more than you like optimism. Nixluva there are hundreds of millions--maybe billions of people oppressed around the world. People cant own a home many people dont even have rations of food for a day. You dont even understand what oppressed means--you were never oppressed for one minute of your life--Id bet on that. My bet is you have a nice home were afford more luxuries than 99% of the rest of the Earth--brought up good kidswho had a good education and you downplay the great opportunity the uS gave you by spewing gibberish nonsense. You're a problem--you are no solution--youre take is the embarrassing part. Everything you have you take for granted. Half my family was incinerated--every day I see my children Im happy. I started off behind the gun in this world when my dad died when I was 8(my mom pregnant with my little brother) This country gave me opportunity and ive done this best I could do--with some health issues at a young age to boot. I appreciate the flag and what it means--but UNLIKE TrUMP I accept thoughtful disagreement on issue. I do NOT agree with his bashing style--but as you tell me I am on the wrong side of history--my opinion of you is come into the year 2017 and appreciate the things the uS gave you and stop focusing on problem of the past. Guys like Popovich never gave Trump or democracy one minute of chance--he was obstructed and resisted from minute 1 because a large bunch of people didnt get what they wanted. He certainly isnt the nicest person but I believe 100% that he wants the greater good for everyone--still do and that Hillary Clinton was not a viable choice. Dont write me back a page long diatribe on why you believe you were oppressed when there are billions of people who really ARE oppressed in the world--give it a needed break.

People like nixluva are the problem? What absolute drivel.

Knickoftime

9/27/2017  1:57 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:These issues have gone on so long Arkud that there is no faith in the necessary progress being made without using methods which get people uncomfortable. To protest in a way where people are comfortable means these issues continue to get swept under the rug.

We don't have to leave our homes to see the dynamics at play here. We see a cross section right here - people who simultaneously reject the method of protest and ignorantly reject the premise of the protest in the first place and resent anybody with dark skin.

Arguing over way to appease these people sensibilities is a big ****ing waste of time.

nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
9/27/2017  1:58 PM
smackeddog wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:the only way ANYONE gets anything in this world is by hard work and perseverance, nobody owes anybody anything. im white, from a middle-class family, i (no one else) paid for my own college, no one gave me money to goto college, i didn't get any scholarships, stipends, or anything like that and my parents didn't have the money to send me. so i paid for it, all of it, and i'm STILL paying for it 10 years later. i dont have a grandparent that left me a wad of cash or anything like that, so, ive learned that the only way that i can make anything happen for myself is taking the bull by the horns and achieving it myself. growing up, while in highschool, i had to work 3 different jobs to make money. i worked with a carpenter, at a hardware store and at a drug store. i went to high-school and worked 6 days a week, sometimes 7, nobody gave me a job, i went out and looked for them.

you come in this world alone and you leave it alone, so why would i or anyone else expect to be given anything?

You didn't magically appear, you were born into the world via your parents who gave you life and raised you at great financial cost to themselves. Your entire development into adult hood was based on freebies. What you received for free was based on the financial position of your parents, their nature and caring abilities. We are relational beings. Most people spend their lives looking for love and friends. This individualistic nonsense is a myth- no one is an island. Everyone got where they are today thanks to the care and nurturing of others.

if it all relates to the nurturing of parents, then why isn't there more of a discussion and more of a personal responsibility from people who have children? most notably in many inner cities and surrounding areas?

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
arkrud
USA
9/27/2017  1:58 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
arkrud wrote:I do not think anyone is debating that police brutality and use of fatal force should be tolerated.

Someone has regularly argued that should be understood.

The debate is about the method that athletes selected to bring the public attentions to this issues and if this will bring more good that bad.
Will this unite people of good will to solve the issues on hand or draw then even more apart to ultimately be a bigger block to resolve this problems.

No, it isn't.

This isn't a dispassionate debate about the effectiveness of the chosen form of protest.

This is about people rejecting protesters and those people who support them as being people of good will.

To fix any problem it should be first understood.
People who question the method are NOT rejecting the protest nature itself.
This is what you think is going on. Why you think that only your vision about it is correct?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
arkrud
USA
9/27/2017  2:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/27/2017  2:02 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
arkrud wrote:

That's an intellectually empty response and I think you know it. You've ignored his idea based on his wording. People who are protesting the anthem protesting are largely white. That's accurate and all that matters for his point to be valid.

Elevate the discourse.

Intellectually empty response to intellectually empty statement.
America is not black and white any more and you know it to.
Both blacks and whites are minorities or close to became one.
If anything White Society is dead so is Black Society if it ever was one in US.

Knickoftime

9/27/2017  2:03 PM
arkrud wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
arkrud wrote:I do not think anyone is debating that police brutality and use of fatal force should be tolerated.

No, it isn't.

This isn't a dispassionate debate about the effectiveness of the chosen form of protest.

This is about people rejecting protesters and those people who support them as being people of good will.

Yes, which is a skill you need to develop.

What you read:

"People who question the method are NOT rejecting the protest nature itself."

What I actually wrote:

"This is about people rejecting protesters and those people who support them as being people of good will."

Knickoftime

9/27/2017  2:07 PM
arkrud wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Elevate the discourse.

America is not black and white any more and you know it to.
Both blacks and whites are minorities or close to became one.
If anything White Society is dead so is Black Society if it ever was one in US.

Who's largely rejecting the method of the protest?

You're so convinced no one sees society in its real form like you do it prevents you from discussing any issue but that one. Everything you post is filtered through that.

Your three sentences have absolutely nothing to do with what you responded to.

arkrud
USA
9/27/2017  2:10 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

No, it isn't.

Yes, which is a skill you need to develop.

What you read:

"People who question the method are NOT rejecting the protest nature itself."

What I actually wrote:

"This is about people rejecting protesters and those people who support them as being people of good will."

Lets not get into deficiency of my personality. Who cares how smart or stupid I am.
Just tell me:
Is the method that athletes selected to bring the public attentions to this issues will bring more good that bad?
Will this unite people of good will to solve the issues on hand or draw then even more apart to ultimately be a bigger block to resolve this problems?

Knickoftime

9/27/2017  2:12 PM
nyk4ever wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

if it all relates to the nurturing of parents, then why isn't there more of a discussion and more of a personal responsibility from people who have children? most notably in many inner cities and surrounding areas?

One of the reasons why is people like Briggs reject a holistic discussion. They want to ignore how cultures and societies move, which is slowly, and reject the origins of cultures and societies as having relevance, and want to limit the discussion to how people should just change, now. Which doesn't happen. Anywhere. Ever.

Knickoftime

9/27/2017  2:23 PM
arkrud wrote:Is the method that athletes selected to bring the public attentions to this issues will bring more good that bad?

I have no idea. Anyone that claims otherwise has no idea and no idea they have no idea.

This is been going on for 12 months, and is in fact gaining steam in month 12. How we look back at it in 3 years, 5, 10 years, in 50 years later remains to be seen.

What we can learn from history is protest, both ultimately effective and ineffective, is rarely pretty and polite and embraced.

Will this unite people of good will to solve the issues on hand or draw then even more apart to ultimately be a bigger block to resolve this problems?

See above. One thing that we know people lack is prospective. There is a human need to believe that what we're experiencing right now is all we need to know. This is particularly true of sports fans (the reason we're all here).

You seem to be trying to evaluate what will become of this issue historically in the moment. If you are as enlightened (or trying to be) as much as you make it clear to us all you are, you should realize trying to answer those questions right now is a fool's errand.

What we can see in the moment is this is not the only front this issue is being fought. Too think of this as the end-all-be-all form of protest is also lacking perspective.

So before you again accuse me of being a know it all, what I really am is 'I don't know **** and you don't either.'

arkrud
USA
9/27/2017  2:29 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

One of the reasons why is people like Briggs reject a holistic discussion. They want to ignore how cultures and societies move, which is slowly, and reject the origins of cultures and societies as having relevance, and want to limit the discussion to how people should just change, now. Which doesn't happen. Anywhere. Ever.

Very true. People are developed their culture in many generations.
Even if someone did not get material wealth from his family he can get wisdom nurtured by hundreds of generation which allows him to achieve every thing he/she wants.
And the wisdom which nyk4ever get from his family roots made him achieve every thing he has by hard work and dedication to better his life.
Not everyone is fortunate to have this wisdom developed as family histories and cultures are not at the same level of development for different people and not everyone is fortunate to be attached to it.
When family lines are broken and cultural development is replaced by gung culture of the streets it is getting hard to find the way.
Some cultures are coming to demise and whole countries are destroyed to ashes when this line on inheritance is broken.

arkrud
USA
9/27/2017  2:35 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
arkrud wrote:Is the method that athletes selected to bring the public attentions to this issues will bring more good that bad?

I have no idea. Anyone that claims otherwise has no idea and no idea they have no idea.

This is been going on for 12 months, and is in fact gaining steam in month 12. How we look back at it in 3 years, 5, 10 years, in 50 years later remains to be seen.

What we can learn from history is protest, both ultimately effective and ineffective, is rarely pretty and polite and embraced.

See above. One thing that we know people lack is prospective. There is a human need to believe that what we're experiencing right now is all we need to know. This is particularly true of sports fans (the reason we're all here).

You seem to be trying to evaluate what will become of this issue historically in the moment. If you are as enlightened (or trying to be) as much as you make it clear to us all you are, you should realize trying to answer those questions right now is a fool's errand.

What we can see in the moment is this is not the only front this issue is being fought. Too think of this as the end-all-be-all form of protest is also lacking perspective.

So before you again accuse me of being a know it all, what I really am is 'I don't know **** and you don't either.'

Yes. Fair enough.
I do not know the answer on how to resolve the issues with police killing people instead of detaining them alive as they should.
Take the guns from police in general (like in UK) and patrol the "bad" areas by SWAT units composed of ex-marines and ex-secret agents so they can shoot the criminals in the limbs and beat them down uncosious?
At lest I am proposing something. What naked protest can propose?

Knickoftime

9/27/2017  2:48 PM

I want to circle back to this because it feels familiar. I grew up on the lower end of a lower end of the middle-class community. I paid for my own college. I invented my own job after college college but that's a story for another day. I didn't take loans out for college, I took years off in between to pay for it.

Here's what I was gifted however, through no achievement or effort of my own. I was never told I would go to college or would be upwardly mobile. I never had to make a decision I would be. It was just the only thing I ever knew. My older siblings achieved in school (much more than I) and going to college was the only thing I knew. When I was a freshman graduating seniors went to college, that was my reality. When I was a sophomore and junior my friends begin thinking about and researching colleges.

This wasn't a choice we made that positively reflected on our character, this was just our personal reality.

I now live in an affluent community in which 97% of high school graduates go on to college, a majority of those very good schools. I don't know a kid in this town whose parents both didn't go to college. There's nothing in our water that makes these children exceptional relative to the mean. They're simply doing what they know and what is expected of them.

That is the biggest gift my child is being given - her normal is a gift.

My normal was a gift.

I strongly suspect your's was too.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/27/2017  2:49 PM
arkrud wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

No, it isn't.

People who question the method are NOT rejecting the protest nature itself.
This is what you think is going on. Why you think that only your vision about it is correct?

What form of protest do you think the Larger Society would be happy with? You seem to think that it's just about the manner in which this protest was made.

A silent protest parade in 1917 set the stage for civil rights marches
BY CHAD WILLIAMS
Brandeis University

JULY 28, 2017 12:44 AM

The only sounds were those of muffled drums, the shuffling of feet and the gentle sobs of some of the estimated 20,000 onlookers. The women and children wore all white. The men dressed in black.

On the afternoon of Saturday, July 28, 1917, nearly 10,000 African-Americans marched down Fifth Avenue, in silence, to protest racial violence and white supremacy in the United States.

New York City, and the nation, had never before witnessed such a remarkable scene.

The “Silent Protest Parade,” as it came to be known, was the first mass African-American demonstration of its kind and marked a watershed moment in the history of the civil rights movement.

As I have written in my book “Torchbearers of Democracy,” African-Americans during the World War I era challenged racism both abroad and at home. In taking to the streets to dramatize the brutal treatment of black people, the participants of the “Silent Protest Parade” indicted the United States as an unjust nation. This charge remains true today.

One hundred years later, as black people continue to insist that “Black Lives Matter,” the “Silent Protest Parade” offers a vivid reminder about the power of courageous leadership, grassroots mobilization, direct action and their collective necessity in the fight to end racial oppression.

One of the great accomplishments of the Black Lives Matter movement has been to demonstrate the continuum of racist violence against black people throughout American history and also the history of resistance against it. But as we continue to grapple with the hyper-visibility of black death, it is perhaps easy to forget just how truly horrific racial violence against black people was a century ago.

Prior to the “Silent Protest Parade,” mob violence and the lynching of African-Americans had grown even more gruesome. In Waco, a mob of 10,000 white Texans attended the May 15, 1916, lynching of a black farmer, Jesse Washington. One year later, on May 22, 1917, a black woodcutter, Ell Persons, died at the hands of over 5,000 vengeance-seeking whites in Memphis.

Even by these grisly standards, East St. Louis later that same summer was shocking. Simmering labor tensions between white and black workers exploded on the evening of July 2, 1917.

For 24 hours, white mobs indiscriminately stabbed, shot and lynched anyone with black skin. Men, women, children, the elderly, the disabled — no one was spared. Homes were torched and occupants shot down as they attempted to flee. The death toll likely ran as high as 200 people.

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article164116762.html

Seems to me that none of the forms of AA protest are acceptable to some.

BRIGGS
Member: #303
9/27/2017  3:01 PM
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Man everything relates back to race for you--I wasnt even talking about race. Actually its people like you who are a big problem. You throw around the word "oppressed" instead of using examples of why anyone can be what they want to be in this country. You downplay the opportunity the uS gives EVERY single person and you bait it with racial disparity.

Nixluva--you have ZERO appreciation for a country that made you a great life. You like to teach history but youre a BAD teacher my friend. If you want to do something teach and preach to people what they can be instead of picturing a blindly bleak face on things. Slavery occurred all over the world nixluva--thats history--nothing we can do about it now. But we can bring examples of what is good and what can be achieved. But you like hate more than you like optimism.

Nixluva there are hundreds of millions--maybe billions of people oppressed around the world. People cant own a home many people dont even have rations of food for a day. You dont even understand what oppressed means--you were never oppressed for one minute of your life--Id bet on that. My bet is you have a nice home were afford more luxuries than 99% of the rest of the Earth--brought up good kidswho had a good education and you downplay the great opportunity the uS gave you by spewing gibberish nonsense.

You're a problem--you are no solution--youre take is the embarrassing part. Everything you have you take for granted. Half my family was incinerated--every day I see my children Im happy. I started off behind the gun in this world when my dad died when I was 8(my mom pregnant with my little brother) This country gave me opportunity and ive done this best I could do--with some health issues at a young age to boot. I appreciate the flag and what it means--but UNLIKE TrUMP I accept thoughtful disagreement on issue. I do NOT agree with his bashing style--but as you tell me I am on the wrong side of history--my opinion of you is come into the year 2017 and appreciate the things the uS gave you and stop focusing on problem of the past. Guys like Popovich never gave Trump or democracy one minute of chance--he was obstructed and resisted from minute 1 because a large bunch of people didnt get what they wanted. He certainly isnt the nicest person but I believe 100% that he wants the greater good for everyone--still do and that Hillary Clinton was not a viable choice. Dont write me back a page long diatribe on why you believe you were oppressed when there are billions of people who really ARE oppressed in the world--give it a needed break.

BRIGGS there's just a fundamental level of ignorance to your world view. You and from what I can perceive MANY others in this country who think like you are basically unsympathetic to the plight of others in this country. You can't put yourself in someone else's shoes and try to understand what their situation is like.

For starters you want to pretend that history has no impact on the present. This is convenient for you and your argument. As i've spoken about often, my Grandmothers, Aunts, Uncles and Parents are still alive and ranging in ages from 60-95. Their lives MOST CERTAINLY have been impacted by OPPRESSION. I was born in the 60's and I can tell you that I most CERTAINLY experienced the disadvantages of OPPRESSION. I and others have been trying to point out to you that inequality and injustice in this country has never stopped being an issue for minorities!!! As I said there were no GOOD OLE DAYS for AA's and other Minorities in this country.

The SYSTEM that has been in place since the founding of this nation was built to be unequal. The Mentality of MANY of White Citizens towards AA's has been one of White Supremacy from the founding of this nation up to this very day. You want me to ignore the inequality and just be happy that i'm here in the U.S. cuz this country GAVE me and my people all this opportunity. WHY should we ignore the inequality and injustice that's been going on since 1619 to this very day?

Lastly NO ONE is "afforded luxuries" in this country. I'm not sure why you would say such a thing. Especially Minorities in this country. Given that you say that half your family was incinerated you should be more empathetic to those who are being oppressed.

These are my grandfathers who fought in WWII. They were in Segregated military units and after fighting they came home to Segregation and inequality. One of them was wounded in War and eventually died from complications. He never knew a world that was equal for AA's.
Both of them had Grandparents who were Slaves.

Things are not EQUAL in this country to this day.

Nixluva--You live in the greatest country in the world---feel lucky and stand tall when the anthem plays.

Bruh! THIS IS MY COUNTRY! We've been here since this was a group of Colonies. My ancestors died and were buried in unmarked graves and I'll never know their names because they didn't recognize Slaves as anything more than work animals. Don't F'n tell me to "FEEL LUCKY". This country grew rich and powerful off the backs of AA's. We fought in most all this country's wars despite being oppressed.

I'm my family historian and I have accounted for all my relatives and their spouses going back to the late 1700's to 1800's. I'm 10% European even tho none of my ancestors married a White person. Do you know how those genes got there? RAPE during Slavery. This country reneged on even the basic promise of 40 Acres and a Mule! Instead we got Jim Crow and Segregation for another 100 years! Lower quality schools. Lower employment. Forced to live bunched into Ghettos using Redlining. Predatory Policing. We've earned the right to protest.

No Nixluva--this is NOT your country its OURS All of us. You should be thankful to God you live here and not 95% of the rest of the world. Look around your house and at your kids. Reflect for a moment of what life has brought you. Stop making it racial--thats not even what we were talking about. With you everything is race---youre the biggest racist here by FAR. You turn simple discussions about the uS into race--everything to you is race. Think about what the uS has brought you--youre not thinking.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
Member: #303
9/27/2017  3:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/27/2017  3:07 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Nixluva--You live in the greatest country in the world---feel lucky and stand tall when the anthem plays.

The man you voted for doesn't believe so. He ran on the platform, and regularly wears on his head a declaration that America is no longer great, even while in office.

He also spent two years disparaging the military and its leaders, but that's neither here nor there.

He doesn't think America is great.

Well Im sure you do. You have absolutely nothing in common with anyone white black Hispanic who has experienced anytime of hardship at any point of their life. Your words are hollow and you showed in the last post from the other thread that was communistic and elitist in every way. Your opinion is better than mine!!! Go crawl back into your hole you egotistical BSer

RIP Crushalot😞
Off Topic: six months later, do people who voted for Trump still support this guy?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy