[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Off Topic: six months later, do people who voted for Trump still support this guy?
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

8/8/2017  2:13 PM
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:why does everything always have to be about race?

Affirmative action has put whites and asians at a disadvantage since its inception.

Some of the biggest schools have lower SAT requirements and application bonus points, just for being black or Hispanic. Eventually the equality lawsuits pile up and they'll force a rational debate.

it is impossible for whites to be at a disadvantage. b/c of the dominance of the race and the suppression of everyone non-white throughout most of civilization's history - it will take centuries to put folks on an equal level. that's why affirmative action and preference to non-whites (as well as females) must be in place to accelerate the process. it can't be looked in a bubble - we have to assess based on how we got to this point and how we can correct it as quick as possible.

At some point you have to decide if it's working and I think that's the point... Have we made progress and/or does the method need improvement/change? And are we making inroads at the expense of white and asian educations?

We're an evolving society, things change... People change. But it doesn't always have to be at the expense of our neighbors...

30 years ago women were home, raising kids and taking care of homes... Today, that's almost impossible. And looking at recent wage gap data, we've made great strides here.

i'm not sure what you mean by at the expense of asians. but "at the expense" of whites doesn't register with me. it will take decades/generations for it to even come close to "at the expense" of whites.

So you're not sure what it means that whites and asians have been displaced from certain schools by accepting lower scoring blacks and hispanics? How is this fair and why am I not surprised...

i am not aware of the asian displacement - can you post some articles on it?

is it fair that whites are being displaced? no. but i look at this as course correction and it's needed to eventually to put everyone on the same playing field.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/06/asian-americans-and-the-future-of-affirmative-action/489023/

AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/8/2017  2:23 PM
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

Affirmative action has put whites and asians at a disadvantage since its inception.

Some of the biggest schools have lower SAT requirements and application bonus points, just for being black or Hispanic. Eventually the equality lawsuits pile up and they'll force a rational debate.

it is impossible for whites to be at a disadvantage. b/c of the dominance of the race and the suppression of everyone non-white throughout most of civilization's history - it will take centuries to put folks on an equal level. that's why affirmative action and preference to non-whites (as well as females) must be in place to accelerate the process. it can't be looked in a bubble - we have to assess based on how we got to this point and how we can correct it as quick as possible.

At some point you have to decide if it's working and I think that's the point... Have we made progress and/or does the method need improvement/change? And are we making inroads at the expense of white and asian educations?

We're an evolving society, things change... People change. But it doesn't always have to be at the expense of our neighbors...

30 years ago women were home, raising kids and taking care of homes... Today, that's almost impossible. And looking at recent wage gap data, we've made great strides here.

i'm not sure what you mean by at the expense of asians. but "at the expense" of whites doesn't register with me. it will take decades/generations for it to even come close to "at the expense" of whites.

So you're not sure what it means that whites and asians have been displaced from certain schools by accepting lower scoring blacks and hispanics? How is this fair and why am I not surprised...

is it fair that whites are being displaced? no. but i look at this as course correction and it's needed to eventually to put everyone on the same playing field.

Its the trade off for refusing to offer wealth redistribution. African Americans wanted wealth redistribution, its what essentially got Marcus Garvey deported & MLK killed. And would have been the *fair* option directly post slavery. If these principals were put in place then everyone would have been able to start from the same ground level and there would be no need for the programs in place. Though i'm sure there would have been massive corruption regardless which lead to obstacles of equality for minority groups based on the mindset of those generations.

Either way there is no answer that won't effect another group of people one way or another. And the issues for African Americans in America run waaaaaay longer than just slavery. The decisions in as early as the 90s have set back today's parents of today's generation.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

8/8/2017  2:30 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

Its the trade off for refusing to offer wealth redistribution. African Americans wanted wealth redistribution, its what essentially got Marcus Garvey deported & MLK killed. And would have been the *fair* option directly post slavery. If these principals were put in place then everyone would have been able to start from the same ground level and there would be no need for the programs in place. Though i'm sure there would have been massive corruption regardless which lead to obstacles of equality for minority groups based on the mindset of those generations.

Either way there is no answer that won't effect another group of people one way or another. And the issues for African Americans in America run waaaaaay longer than just slavery. The decisions in as early as the 90s have set back today's parents of today's generation.

Ding.

Knickoftime

8/8/2017  3:00 PM
Rookie wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/06/asian-americans-and-the-future-of-affirmative-action/489023/

Clearly, Jeremy Lin isn't doing enough to solve this problem.

Rookie

8/8/2017  4:10 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

I hear The View is looking for a new co-host to replace Barbara Walters, you should apply. You and Whoopi can be besties.

Knickoftime

8/8/2017  4:26 PM
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

I hear The View is looking for a new co-host to replace Barbara Walters, you should apply. You and Whoopi can be besties.

So suggesting me and a black woman can be friends is some sort of dig?

Rookie

8/8/2017  4:28 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

do you really have so little to say that you can only answer every post with a question?

Knickoftime

8/8/2017  4:32 PM
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

do you really have so little to say that you can only answer every post with a question?

In the post where you declared you wouldn't respond to me anymore you complained that I had too much to say.

But no, I was giving you an opportunity to explain a very odd sentiment. You're under no obligation to explain it.

Rookie

8/8/2017  4:45 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

In the post where you declared you wouldn't respond to me anymore you complained that I had too much to say.

But no, I was giving you an opportunity to explain a very odd sentiment. You're under no obligation to explain it.

Why don't you clearly state your position on whatever topic it is that you are referring to. I have plenty of time to respond to you now since the fishing here is rained out

Knickoftime

8/8/2017  5:13 PM
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

Why don't you clearly state your position on whatever topic it is that you are referring to. I have plenty of time to respond to you now since the fishing here is rained out

Well there're plenty of posts from me to you to respond to the previous page if you're inclined. Assuming you meant specifically the affirmative action topic I did express my thoughts on the previous page as well.

Having read the Atlantic article you linked to I was simply making a joke (that's okay, right?) highlighting the flaw in what appeared to me and others as criticizing black athletes for not doing enough to address a shared societal burden.

Rookie

8/8/2017  6:10 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

Well there're plenty of posts from me to you to respond to the previous page if you're inclined. Assuming you meant specifically the affirmative action topic I did express my thoughts on the previous page as well.

Having read the Atlantic article you linked to I was simply making a joke (that's okay, right?) highlighting the flaw in what appeared to me and others as criticizing black athletes for not doing enough to address a shared societal burden.

Here's an interesting tid bit. There are only a handful of States that have laws banning discrimination in public accommodations based on gender identity. If you pull up a map of United States Governors by party affiliation, the maps are almost identical

Knickoftime

8/8/2017  6:19 PM
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Rookie wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gr33d wrote:

Here's an interesting tid bit. There are only a handful of States that have laws banning discrimination in public accommodations based on gender identity. If you pull up a map of United States Governors by party affiliation, the maps are almost identical

Okay, that's pretty expected. Don't you think?

Rookie

8/8/2017  6:19 PM
Here is a map of ideology by State. Again, the graphic images follow the same pattern

Knickoftime

8/8/2017  6:21 PM
Rookie wrote:Here is a map of ideology by State. Again, the graphic images follow the same pattern

Yup, again not surprising.

Rookie

8/8/2017  6:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/8/2017  6:26 PM
Here is an image of the electoral college by state. Again, same pattern. The majority of the country is Average to conservative while Liberal voters cluster in states with the most electoral college. The only point I am making is how liberal democrats need to realize that their views are different then the majority of the country. The emphasis being on different rather then who is right and who is wrong.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/8/2017  6:42 PM
Rookie wrote:Here is an image of the electoral college by state. Again, same pattern. The majority of the country is Average to conservative while Liberal voters cluster in states with the most electoral college. The only point I am making is how liberal democrats need to realize that their views are different then the majority of the country. The emphasis being on different rather then who is right and who is wrong.

didn't the majority of America vote for Hilary?

Also, liberal voters don't cluster in states with the most electoral college. It's the other way around.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Rookie

8/8/2017  6:43 PM
and here's some data on religion and party affiliation.

A majority of self-described atheists are politically liberal, while most Christians, including evangelicals and Protestants, are conservative, according to a new Pew Forum survey.

Some 51 percent of atheists and those described as agnostic told Pew that they are liberal, with 32 percent moderate and 13 percent conservative. Survey analysts said that the atheists lean Democratic because they are generally younger and agree with the party's embrace of sexual issues such as abortion, gay rights and same sex marriage. Not so with Protestants and Evangelicals. Some 48 percent of Protestants and 65 percent of evangelicals call themselves conservatives and don't support same sex marriage and abortion.

Catholics, however, break from evangelicals and Protestants in the Pew survey. They split politically, with the most, 42 percent, calling themselves moderate, and majorities supporting abortion, homosexuality, and same sex marriage.

Click this link and you will get a chart of political exit poll of party affiliation by religion http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/23/u-s-religious-groups-and-their-political-leanings/

Mormons are the most heavily Republican-leaning religious group in the U.S., while a pair of major historically black Protestant denominations – the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church and the National Baptist Convention – are two of the most reliably Democratic groups, according to data from Pew Research Center’s 2014 Religious Landscape Study.

Seven-in-ten U.S. Mormons identify with the Republican Party or say they lean toward the GOP, compared with 19% who identify as or lean Democratic – a difference of 51 percentage points. That’s the biggest gap in favor of the GOP out of 30 religious groups we analyzed, which include Protestant denominations, other religious groups and three categories of people who are religiously unaffiliated.

At the other end of the spectrum, an overwhelming majority of members of the AME Church (92%) identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party, while just 4% say they favor the Republican Party (an 88-point gap). Similarly, 87% of members of the National Baptist Convention and 75% of members of the Church of God in Christ (another historically black denomination) identify as Democrats.

These patterns largely reflect data from exit polls during the 2012 general election. In that year, 95% of black Protestants said they voted for Democrat Barack Obama, while 78% of Mormons said they voted for Republican Mitt Romney, who also is a Mormon.

White evangelical Protestants also voted heavily Republican in 2012 (79% for Romney), which mirrors the leanings of many of the largest evangelical denominations. Members of the Church of the Nazarene are overwhelmingly likely to favor the GOP (63% Republican vs. 24% Democrat), as are the Southern Baptist Convention (64% vs. 26%) and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (59% vs. 27%), among other evangelical churches. (In our survey, members of these groups can be of any race or ethnicity, while exit polls report totals for white evangelicals in particular.)

Catholics are divided politically in our survey, just as they were in the 2012 election. While 37% say they favor the GOP, 44% identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party (and 19% say they do not lean either way). In the 2012 election, 50% of Catholics said they voted for Obama, while 48% voted for Romney.

Members of mainline Protestant churches look similar to Catholics in this regard. For example, 44% of members of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) identify as or lean Republican in the survey, compared with 47% who are Democrats or Democratic-leaning. United Methodists and Anglicans are slightly more likely than other mainline groups to say they are Republicans, while members of the United Church of Christ are more likely to be Democrats.

About seven-in-ten religiously unaffiliated voters (70%) and Jews (69%) voted for Obama in 2012. A similar share of Jews in our survey (64%) say they are Democrats, while all three subsets of religious “nones” (atheists, agnostics and those who say their religion is “nothing in particular”) lean in that direction as well.

Jehovah’s Witnesses, who are taught to remain politically neutral and abstain from voting, stand out for their overwhelming identification as independents who do not lean toward either party. Three-quarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses put themselves in that category.

Rookie

8/8/2017  6:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/8/2017  7:15 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:Here is an image of the electoral college by state. Again, same pattern. The majority of the country is Average to conservative while Liberal voters cluster in states with the most electoral college. The only point I am making is how liberal democrats need to realize that their views are different then the majority of the country. The emphasis being on different rather then who is right and who is wrong.

didn't the majority of America vote for Hilary?

Also, liberal voters don't cluster in states with the most electoral college. It's the other way around.

That was worded weirdly. Here, go to this website. You can go state by state and see even within a state the voting patterns. Democratic voters tend to be in densely populated and urban areas while the vast majority less populated area of the states and the country voted republican. So even though Democrats populate a small area of a state, the densely populate that area and can carry the states electoral vote. Does that make more sense. Basically, outside of densely populated areas which are small geographically, everyone people are generally moderate to conservative. http://www.cnn.com/election/results/president

Knickoftime

8/8/2017  7:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/8/2017  7:51 PM

Rookie, there is a patronizing quality to assuming that "liberals" don't understand the demographics of this country. "Liberals"' awareness of these facts really is not the issue here.

Here's the thing - We are a nation of rights and laws not regional preferences. The very premise of our republic is self evident truths, not personal opinions. What you described in your last sentence is a further move towards a post-facts society, where there are no truths and only opinions and preferences.

I've made it clear to you on several occasions that what you practice in your home I will 100% percent support, but when it intersects with civic life it's a different story.

I asked you questions that offended you but it wasn't to accuse YOU of being a racist or sexist or ageist or whatever. If you remove "right and wrong" from the equation and place the emphasis on respecting "different," that position is more consistent with respecting the "different" views of a racist or sexist or ageist than not.

I believe it is a self evident truth that a gay man or a transgender person should enjoy the same civil rights I do. To me is not a matter of letting states decide for themselves any more than it was in 1963.

I think the analogy is perfectly obvious. So no, when a business owner wants the right to discriminate against a gay man, or when someone wants to write a law that dictates you can only use the bathroom according to your birth gender, I say not in this country.

Knickoftime

8/8/2017  7:50 PM

And not for nothing Rookie, but this broad theme has little to nothing to do with your post about Michael Jordan. I don't doubt for a minute you intended that to be the opening of what you consider it a "positive" conversation. But myself and others here have heard that kind of 'argument' before and recognize it. Whether you intended it or not it reads like the black community doesn't do enough help itself.

If you walk the walk about wanting to understand the views of people different than yourself, understand that's a very offensive, loaded notion to some. But nobody flew off the handle about it and actually tried you tried to engage in conversation about it.

Off Topic: six months later, do people who voted for Trump still support this guy?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy