[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We should just do the trade with Houston - Melo for Ryan Anderson and two first round picks
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

7/17/2017  7:46 AM
EnySpree wrote:I think the Knicks need to stand their ground. If we dont like any deals Houston is throwing at is we should no have to take them. Melo has to expand his list or honor his contact. If he Comes back disgruntled then we banish him. A stand needs to be taken. Melo is just a player and we owe him nothing. It's embarrassing that the organization and players all assume the Knicks are just going to take anything back. Melo was house hunting before a deal could be made? Now he's reportedly "heated". Oh well... expand your list or honor your contract. Play another year and opt out or waitto see what teams are willing to do at the deadline. The Knicks are in the driver's seat.

I agree. And w regard to Andersen that's not our problem to move. It's houston's.

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/17/2017  8:19 AM
Chandler wrote:
EnySpree wrote:I think the Knicks need to stand their ground. If we dont like any deals Houston is throwing at is we should no have to take them. Melo has to expand his list or honor his contact. If he Comes back disgruntled then we banish him. A stand needs to be taken. Melo is just a player and we owe him nothing. It's embarrassing that the organization and players all assume the Knicks are just going to take anything back. Melo was house hunting before a deal could be made? Now he's reportedly "heated". Oh well... expand your list or honor your contract. Play another year and opt out or waitto see what teams are willing to do at the deadline. The Knicks are in the driver's seat.

I agree. And w regard to Andersen that's not our problem to move. It's houston's.

agree with you guys and Bonn.. I want no part of Anderson. This doesnt help us and having $20mm tied the summer we are resigning Willy/KP and probably trying to add max FA around them Anderson is a poison pill. Pass. He's the Rockets problem and he doesnt help us at all. If we didnt just sign for Timmy I would have considered on the the Portland guards... pass on that also.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/17/2017  8:40 AM
I like Anderson.
On the Rockets!
I thought MDA did a great job last year and he was a big part of it.
But we are not them and while we'll want to move on, I like the patience Mills is showing.
I hope Knicks can stay on task and fulfill their goals.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/17/2017  8:43 AM
The rest of this really is an exercise in dry humor, I suppose.

The Melohaters, whose battle cry is always "knicks Knicks KNICKS!" for why they can't stand melo on the team, are willing to
1) trade him for someone even more inept at defense, has an even worse contract (except no NTC), and does less of everything
2) continually make the brilliant suggestion that Melo should be paid to stay home. To the tune of 27 million dollars.

I guess this is why there are sports boards to post on. Drunks wouldn't even listen to crap like this.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/17/2017  8:58 AM
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:

agree with you guys and Bonn.. I want no part of Anderson. This doesnt help us and having $20mm tied the summer we are resigning Willy/KP and probably trying to add max FA around them Anderson is a poison pill. Pass. He's the Rockets problem and he doesnt help us at all. If we didnt just sign for Timmy I would have considered on the the Portland guards... pass on that also.

Also, I'm sure Houston would still do this trade in October. They're not going to suddenly prefer Anderson over Melo. So there's zero reason to do it now.
Bonn1997
USA
7/17/2017  8:59 AM
jrodmc wrote:The rest of this really is an exercise in dry humor, I suppose.

The Melohaters, whose battle cry is always "knicks Knicks KNICKS!" for why they can't stand melo on the team, are willing to
1) trade him for someone even more inept at defense, has an even worse contract (except no NTC), and does less of everything
2) continually make the brilliant suggestion that Melo should be paid to stay home. To the tune of 27 million dollars.

I guess this is why there are sports boards to post on. Drunks wouldn't even listen to crap like this.

You realize most of the people critical of Melo have been arguing against taking back Anderson?
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
7/17/2017  9:31 AM
why should we take back a horrible contract just to move melo? we're not going anywhere with or without melo, so im not moving melo just to make him happy. he had his chances to be moved and he declined. he can opt-out after next if we can't move him for a deal we like and that's fine with me.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/17/2017  9:35 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
TheGame wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:We have little use for Anderson. We're basically paying $60 mil for 2 distant 1st round picks. No GM will do that. Those picks are 3 and 5 years away. That means probably 5 to 8 years before the players are peaking. If Dolan would give me an 8 year guarantee, I'd consider the deal, but I think it's too much to pay for the picks anyway. Cleveland's distant picks don't work either.

2017/18 2018/19 2019/20
Ryan Anderson $19,578,455 $20,421,546 $21,264,635
Carmelo Anthony $26,243,760 $27,928,140

Under the NBA trade rules, Houston would have to include one other minor expiring contract to make the deal work. We would save about $2 mill in year one (with the added expiring contract of another player), and $5-$7 mill in year two. In year three, we would have to pay $21,264,635. So we would essentially be paying about $11 million for two future draft picks, or about $5.5 million per pick. That is not a huge costs for the picks. In fact, depending on where the picks fall, that would be fair compensation for those picks. Plus, we would get those picks at a time when KP and Frank might be earning near max salary. Thus, we will need cheap labor to fill in the roster. We would get five first round picks over a three year period to restock our roster. So I disagree with the argument that the costs is too much. Both Noah and Ryan's deals will expire the same year, which will likely give us one, and possible two max salary spots that year with two first round draft picks and KP and Frank ready to really compete. To me, it makes sense. Is it the best deal, no? But given that Melo controls all the cards, it is the best deal we are likely to get in the foreseeable future.

First, Melo may opt out. Second, despite the difficulties, I believe we can trade him for players that fit our roster rather than doing this trade. It will just require a lot of patience. So your trade would be $60 mil wasted compared to the option of trading for players who fit our team. And it's way too early to give up on that option. Your trade is a decent idea and this is a good thread though. I had thought about this option. I'm not trying to just trash your thread.

What players can we trade for that fit our roster?
It's not 60 million wasted, it's 60 million minus the 50 owed to Melo wasted. Because we are going to waste that 50 million no matter what.

We are not trading for Ryan Anderson, we are trading for draft picks(in the scenario that was presented in this thread), we are accepting Anderson to make it worth it for Houston. One extra year of 17 million cap hold is fine for two first round picks. Anderson maybe Houston's problem but Melo is ours. Can't keep him on this team otherwise all this is just theoretical.

Keeping Melo = bad draft pick, 37 wins, more negativity around KP, Billy and Frank

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/17/2017  9:44 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Also, I'm sure Houston would still do this trade in October. They're not going to suddenly prefer Anderson over Melo. So there's zero reason to do it now.
exactly... I agree. Until the package is one that clearly works for the Knicks pass. Price is supposedly going to chat up with Melo for what its worth. Melo expires when Willy and KP are due for their big extensions. Thats the time line Im working on. No interest in Anderson.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
meloshouldgo

7/17/2017  9:44 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
TheGame wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:We have little use for Anderson. We're basically paying $60 mil for 2 distant 1st round picks. No GM will do that. Those picks are 3 and 5 years away. That means probably 5 to 8 years before the players are peaking. If Dolan would give me an 8 year guarantee, I'd consider the deal, but I think it's too much to pay for the picks anyway. Cleveland's distant picks don't work either.

2017/18 2018/19 2019/20

Under the NBA trade rules, Houston would have to include one other minor expiring contract to make the deal work. We would save about $2 mill in year one (with the added expiring contract of another player), and $5-$7 mill in year two. In year three, we would have to pay $21,264,635. So we would essentially be paying about $11 million for two future draft picks, or about $5.5 million per pick. That is not a huge costs for the picks. In fact, depending on where the picks fall, that would be fair compensation for those picks. Plus, we would get those picks at a time when KP and Frank might be earning near max salary. Thus, we will need cheap labor to fill in the roster. We would get five first round picks over a three year period to restock our roster. So I disagree with the argument that the costs is too much. Both Noah and Ryan's deals will expire the same year, which will likely give us one, and possible two max salary spots that year with two first round draft picks and KP and Frank ready to really compete. To me, it makes sense. Is it the best deal, no? But given that Melo controls all the cards, it is the best deal we are likely to get in the foreseeable future.

First, Melo may opt out. Second, despite the difficulties, I believe we can trade him for players that fit our roster rather than doing this trade. It will just require a lot of patience. So your trade would be $60 mil wasted compared to the option of trading for players who fit our team. And it's way too early to give up on that option. Your trade is a decent idea and this is a good thread though. I had thought about this option. I'm not trying to just trash your thread.

It's not 60 million wasted, it's 60 million minus the 50 owed to Melo wasted. Because we are going to waste that 50 million no matter what.

We are not trading for Ryan Anderson, we are trading for draft picks(in the scenario that was presented in this thread), we are accepting Anderson to make it worth it for Houston. One extra year of 17 million cap hold is fine for two first round picks. Anderson maybe Houston's problem but Melo is ours. Can't keep him on this team otherwise all this is just theoretical.

Keeping Melo = bad draft pick, 37 wins, more negativity around KP, Billy and Frank

jrodmc
USA
7/17/2017  10:03 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:

You realize most of the people critical of Melo have been arguing against taking back Anderson?

Would that include most of the people in the three other Houston trade threads? I stopped counting at 8 different posters...
Bonn1997
USA
7/17/2017  10:05 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Would that include most of the people in the three other Houston trade threads? I stopped counting at 8 different posters...

Which posters said we should trade for Anderson? Maybe I just missed this but I didn't see it. I know I floated the idea at one point but then said it would be a bad trade.
Bonn1997
USA
7/17/2017  10:09 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
TheGame wrote:

2017/18 2018/19 2019/20

Sure, if you start from the assumption that Melo is $50 mil wasted and is guaranteed to result in a trade with at least $50 mil wasted coming back to us, then the proposal is just another $10 mil wasted. If you start with that mindset, you're almost guaranteed to make a bad trade though. There's no reason to think that way now. There's still 3 months left in the off-season. I do think Melo has enough trade value that we can pull off something much better but neither of us has any idea. You want me to list the players we'd get in a better trade? I have no idea who the 3rd and possibly 4th teams will be a trade. I haven't been on the phones talking with team's GMs. Worst case scenario, I'm wrong and we could discuss doing this trade in October.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/17/2017  10:13 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
TheGame wrote:

2017/18 2018/19 2019/20

if we don't trade Melo, I bet he does opt out. If Melo really wants to move on, he should offer a slight discount on this year and opt out of year 2. But he loves him some money so that won't happen

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
meloshouldgo

7/17/2017  10:15 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
TheGame wrote:

2017/18 2018/19 2019/20

Sure, if you start from the assumption that Melo is $50 mil wasted and is guaranteed to result in a trade with at least $50 mil wasted coming back to us, then the proposal is just another $10 mil wasted. If you start with that mindset, you're almost guaranteed to make a bad trade though. There's no reason to think that way now. There's still 3 months left in the off-season. I do think Melo has enough trade value that we can pull off something much better but neither of us has any idea. You want me to list the players we'd get in a better trade? I have no idea who the 3rd and possibly 4th teams will be a trade. I haven't been on the phones talking with team's GMs. Worst case scenario, I'm wrong and we could discuss doing this trade in October.

Not trying to force you into a corner, but Melo wants to go to two teams only, they won't give up their better players that scenario won't change if they really want to win it all. And yeah I looked at Melo's entire second contract as dead weight from day 1 and as far as I can tell there's no reason for me to reconsider that.

jrodmc
USA
7/17/2017  10:21 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Would that include most of the people in the threetwo other Houston trade threads? I stopped counting at 8 different posters...

Which posters said we should trade for Anderson? Maybe I just missed this but I didn't see it. I know I floated the idea at one point but then said it would be a bad trade.

http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=57037&page=1
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=57025&page=8

Bonn1997
USA
7/17/2017  10:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  10:27 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Would that include most of the people in the threetwo other Houston trade threads? I stopped counting at 8 different posters...

http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=57037&page=1
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=57025&page=8

Again, who said they wanted to trade Melo for Anderson?! I don't see that in those threads. The mere fact that both players were mentioned in the thread doesn't mean posters want to do the deal.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/17/2017  11:05 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:

Think the pause showed some prudent thinking. Taking back Anderson or buying out Melo is just a biased driven mistake. As is the rant to bench him if he doesnt agree to a trade. That may be the type of action taken by a crazed fanatic, who considers Uber as his prime source of income but not an NBA exec. Reason why Phil was fired. Never realized an executive's job is not to push a personal agenda. It's to be respected by players and agents, be professional, have a realistic long term plan, maximize his assets.

The way to approach Melo is to be up front and honest. Tell him that we want to get him to his desired destination, if he wishes. But currently, the return offered does not make sense for us. If he is to open up trade destinations, we feel we can add value and create a situation where both sides get what they want. But that would be professional and what a respected executive would do. Something that has been missing from this organazatiin for quite some time. Hopefully Perry agrees.

Melo will not be here much longer. He is tired if the clown show. Question is what method will we choose that dictates the return.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/17/2017  11:10 AM
I think the rockets will try to get this trade going again and this time Gordon or Ariza will become a part of a package. I didn't think Morey would move Ariza in part because he helped recruit Paul but.I think with the pause he would consider moving him to get the deal done.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/17/2017  11:31 AM
It would't be terrible if Melo opts out after this season. It would open up cap room not having taken on anymore bad contracts and we would likely be adding another lottery selection to the roster to build on continuing with the youth movement. If Melo really wants out, he will opt out. There is the risk that he is morey interested in his paycheck then his playing situation but it is still the best option as cap flexibilty is critical with a rebuilding team and we don't have that
We should just do the trade with Houston - Melo for Ryan Anderson and two first round picks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy