Looking whats out there for Melo Port Detroit NY
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/15/2017  11:40 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:Or even OKC.
I was thinking OKC if he expanded his list. I think he really wants Houston and he has a NTC.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/15/2017  11:44 PM
RonRon wrote:A WHAT IF....

QUESTION

Anyone know??

IF CA waives his NO TRADE clause to Houston or Cleveland...
Can they turn around and trade him in a couple months without his consent?

Melo would retain his NTC if does waive it to go to any other team. I.E. the Rockets or Cavs would need his permission to trade him again during the life of this current contract.

This next part is what is going to drive some folks here insane. NTC's are eligible based on service time. If the Knicks had NOT traded for Melo originally, and simply signed him as a street free agent that offseason, he would have never garnered enough actual service time with the Knicks to qualify for the NTC he has now.

So, Yes, the Knicks would still have those assets and still had the best options on how to dump him later. A forward thinking GM like Morey would have considered that long term possibility, Duncecap Dolan likely did not.

The one thing that is in the Knicks favor here, is that Melo will likely, unless he suffers a major injury from now until next offseason, opt out to try to garner one last 4 year deal to skirt under the new Over 38 Rule. That means his window to try to get traded to a contention level team starts now and ends this postseason.

CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/15/2017  11:49 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
RonRon wrote:A WHAT IF....

QUESTION

Anyone know??

IF CA waives his NO TRADE clause to Houston or Cleveland...
Can they turn around and trade him in a couple months without his consent?

Melo would retain his NTC if does waive it to go to any other team. I.E. the Rockets or Cavs would need his permission to trade him again during the life of this current contract.

This next part is what is going to drive some folks here insane. NTC's are eligible based on service time. If the Knicks had NOT traded for Melo originally, and simply signed him as a street free agent that offseason, he would have never garnered enough actual service time with the Knicks to qualify for the NTC he has now.

So, Yes, the Knicks would still have those assets and still had the best options on how to dump him later. A forward thinking GM like Morey would have considered that long term possibility, Duncecap Dolan likely did not.

The one thing that is in the Knicks favor here, is that Melo will likely, unless he suffers a major injury from now until next offseason, opt out to try to garner one last 4 year deal to skirt under the new Over 38 Rule. That means his window to try to get traded to a contention level team starts now and ends this postseason.

Great point about the under 38 rule. I had forgotten about that. I think Melo was a net if the Knicks didn't make the trade.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Looking whats out there for Melo Port Detroit NY

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy