[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Woj: Knicks have paused Melo trade talks.
Author Thread
Sinix
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7495

7/14/2017  7:35 AM
Ira wrote:My problems with keeping Melo are first, he's not a great player anymore and will get worse. Second, he's not a great fit. On offense, he plays isolation basketball and slows the teams ball movement whenever the ball comes to him. On defense - well he doesn't play much defense.

Every gm knows this and is ahead of the curve.

That why it was beyond stupid to take the position that if Phil talked Melo up, somehow it would fool some other GM to believe Melo isn't what he is.

Knicks fans think they are the smartest people in the room. They often prove to be the dumbest.

AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/14/2017  7:37 AM
Honestly I don't know what to make of this as a tactic

One thing for sure though: right out of the gate this will define mills/Perry as smart or dumb-dumbs

We shall see. Hoping for the former

(5)(5)
Ira
Member: #91
7/14/2017  7:39 AM
Chandler wrote:Honestly I don't know what to make of this as a tactic

One thing for sure though: right out of the gate this will define mills/Perry as smart or dumb-dumbs

I don't think it's a tactic. I think he wants to keep Melo.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

7/14/2017  7:39 AM
If we were taking on bad contracts, there would be no reason for the 3rd and 4th teams.
I think this is simply giving the new guy a full strength team with his own evaluation to be brought in.
I'd bet that Perry even suggested to Mills to not trade Melo, until he is fully insertd as the GM.

Perry may have a sense of how to build a good team around Melo/KP. My main problem with this is that you already (thanks to Mills) signed Hardaway to a 71$M contract to replace much of what Melo does. Now you keep Melo, Hardaway's value shrinks. That contract will be very hard to move. You won't get value on the contract yourself as instead of being able to use Hardaway as a 2nd option who gets 12-15 shots off, he's relegated to more of a JR Smuth Cavs role where he takes 3 point shots and some plays like that. He's fine in that role, but not for 71$M.

They made an investment in Ntilikina, Hardaway, Porzingis and Willy. Good or bad they should ride it out. I don't think Melo fits with that group and Melo knows it. If this is a ploy to get more out of Houston/Cleveland in the future, great. If this is a move to get Melo to play with those 4 guys, I don't think Melo will do much good for them. He won't make us better on defense and he won't really make us that good a team on offense where they can be competing with the top teams in the East. The best and wisest move is to trade him, given you already invested 71$ M in Hardaway and you've told Krostaps it's your turn.

This is the difference in Phil Jacksn leading a team and Mills. Mills is wishy washy. No consistency, easily swayed. Just one week ago Begley reported "Under no circumstance do the Knicks envision Hardaway and Melo sharing the court together". A week later. Melo is being asked to come back and play with the Knicks. Unbelievable inconsistency. That's why I liked Phil. He had a plan, he stuck to it and he was willing to take the heat that comes with trading star players or not drafting popular names established in NCAA.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/14/2017  7:45 AM
Ira wrote:

You think Mills would hire someone who's not on the same page as him? That doesn't seem likely. They may have both agreed that the offer wasn't good enough though. Obviously either Mills or someone else from the four teams involved thought the deal wasn't good enough even before Perry came.
Chandler

7/14/2017  7:45 AM
Ira wrote:

Same thing though

They're going "all in" on their reputation

(5)(5)
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/14/2017  7:49 AM
Ira wrote:

It isn't personal anymore with Phil gone amd Mills stepping back. Now it is just business and doing what is best for the Knicks. Maybe this means Melo negotiates a buyout where he agrees to opt out of his player option year. Maybe the list of teams he will accept expands. Maybe he is back for a year and then opts out. Putting the Knicks in a position where they take on bad, longer contracts just to move Melo makes no sense.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler

7/14/2017  7:56 AM
My best guess is that the deal was truly stuck and had us stuck w Myers or Ryno

And this tactic is NYK telling Houston that's a problem they, not us, need to fix if they want melo

I also think there is legitimate leverage. Houston does not want to wait until a trade deadline or next year

If they want melo they want him now and they want the rest of the summer and preseason to integrate him and Paul into whatever crazy/genius schemes dantoni conjures

I can't remember the last time a mid season trade worked??

Can't imagine they want to wait a year for an older melo and paul

My only hesitation is whether dantoni really wants melo back

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/14/2017  8:12 AM
First off it don't matter what any of us think. Bottom line is every GM got tape on Melo and advanced scouted our games last year, just like any other team does to prepare. so lets not bit the ignorant Isola rants that Phil somehow devalued melo with is words.
If anything devalued him it was the NTC and his salary, but that's water under the bridge.
As for Melo of the past flexing his juice card and ridding of coaches to fulfill his HOF quest and get paid that is also in the past. He accomplished this. What's left is how he wants to finish his career.
He said when the writing is on the wall he' d leave. But his NTC dictates his terms.
If we going to take back a bad contract well why not keep him then?
If we froze this roster now and traded Lee for a vet pg we willl be ok. Kids get lots of shots no growth and we get a lotto pick. Melo as 6th man could work. Oh, that don't suit him? OK, go home, stay in shape at the gym and home School Kiyan and phuch all the strippers you want in NYC. At some point someone will rid us of him and not give us bad contracts. Meanwhile nothing kills. Brand like putting a towel on your head and moping. NTC can earn you some bad stuff too.
Or, Melo can come meet with renewed spirit and be a professional and play, be happy, and perhaps a trade would come along that makes everyone happy. Melo is like most NBA divas and has the words and smile to be agreeable. Before ending the meeting I'd give him a towel and remind him that if he does not live up to those words, he can cover up on the bench or go home. We moved on from Phil, the triangle is not the directive but Melo not the future and he goes ISO when the coach says go ISO.
Knicks can still be fun this year, make some joyful noise in the Garden and all the while he can know Morey will be lurking to make it work if he can and move him.
Not terrible in any form. Unless it gets ugly, and that's always possible and even likely.
Sinix

7/14/2017  8:15 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Ira wrote:

It isn't personal anymore with Phil gone amd Mills stepping back. Now it is just business and doing what is best for the Knicks. Maybe this means Melo negotiates a buyout where he agrees to opt out of his player option year. Maybe the list of teams he will accept expands. Maybe he is back for a year and then opts out. Putting the Knicks in a position where they take on bad, longer contracts just to move Melo makes no sense.

It was always business. Getting rid of Melo is the best business for the team. He takes up shots. He yells at our young players for talking positively about the game plan. He doesn't believe in ball movement. He doesn't believe in effort on defense.

The personal aspect came when Melo started calling shots management wise.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
7/14/2017  8:25 AM
Uptown wrote:
Vmart wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Vmart wrote:This is a good good move by the Knicks. But only good if the real intent is to move him. Bringing him back is absolutely disaster for the future of the Knicks.

Did you use the word "Knicks" and "good move" in the same sentence lol No way by knows what they're doing here. This is the Chauncey Billups amnesty all over again. Don't try to connect any dots. It's like trying to make sense of a paranoid schizophrenic's journal.

Melo is already in Houston and the Rockets player say all the right things about Melo but secretly I'm sure they don't want him. I know for a fact MDA definitely doesn't want him. Next still up Cleveland.

You know MDA personally? I'm pretty sure Chris Paul wants to play ball with him...

I do not know him personally but reports are out there that are saying MDA isn't on board with Melo being a rocket. Besides he has coached Melo and knows all he needs to know. Chris Paul might want to play with him, ante up for his boy.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
7/14/2017  8:30 AM
Perry comes in to lick boots for Mills and Dolan. Terrific Tom in Minnesota knew better as did Griffin that the fix is in to maintain mediocrity. I mean it's a 3.7 B franchise so who needs to win and who needs to push out Steve Mills who caters to Dolan and anyone else. This is Dolans show folks and neither Perry nor Jackson or anyone else is tell him how to spend his money other than foolishly. Melo? Dolan may want him back and again make the carnal mistake of not rebuilding w you. Timmy/Melo/vet PG. I smell it and it means enough wins to not secure a decent lottery pick.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/14/2017  8:37 AM
Sinix wrote:Didn't think the Knicks were going to trade him after he got Phil fired. Knicks bringing back THjr was a big sign they are going to build this team around Melo. Melo was pissed when Phil traded him the first time.

Melo is basically our GM and has the power to make front office decisions. This no defense no ball movement wonder somehow got all this power and influence.

your still here?

A lot of people here are 90% certain with 8% of the information. As usual. Maybe new GM wants a second look? Maybe Perry has some contacts that Steve Mills isnt looped in with. There are a 100 good reasons to put this on "pause" most of which we have no clue about.

There is no blue print for dealing with the Melo situation. Every scenario has an up and down. One would think this guy had a thought on this and it was mentioned during the interview process... People act like he shows up on day one surprised we are trading Melo and is like you are? No lets wait...

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

7/14/2017  9:08 AM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:Nice first move Scott Perry. What does this accomplish?

1. Establishes Perry's authority
2. Gives Melo a chance to come back - on the Knicks' team-first terms
3. Shows KP that they're trying to work with his buddy Melo
4. Makes HOU sweat it out so they sweeten the pot
5. Begins to shift the narrative of Knicks-as-laughingstock

Zero downside. Well played sir!

HELL YEAH!!!!

This.

+1

Welpee
Member: #6239

7/14/2017  9:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/14/2017  9:22 AM
Sinix wrote:
Ira wrote:My problems with keeping Melo are first, he's not a great player anymore and will get worse. Second, he's not a great fit. On offense, he plays isolation basketball and slows the teams ball movement whenever the ball comes to him. On defense - well he doesn't play much defense.

That why it was beyond stupid to take the position that if Phil talked Melo up, somehow it would fool some other GM to believe Melo isn't what he is.

Knicks fans think they are the smartest people in the room. They often prove to be the dumbest.

No, Phil couldn't talk up Melo to improve his trade value, but he certainly can talk him down to further decrease it. And when you put it out there that you want to trade Melo you further erode the lack of leverage you're already dealing with. It's like buying a car. If the dealer knows 100% you need to walk off the lot with a vehicle you're not getting anywhere near a decent deal.
Sinix

7/14/2017  9:24 AM
Welpee wrote:
Sinix wrote:

No, Phil couldn't talk up Melo to improve his trade value, but he certainly can talk him down to further decrease it. And when you put it out there that you want to trade Melo you further erode the lack of leverage you're already dealing with. It's like buying a car. If the dealer knows 100% you need to walk off the lot with a vehicle you're not getting anywhere near a decent deal.

What world do you live in where all other GM's don't get access to the same 82 games we just saw Melo play, the advanced metric stats and it's not a job they are getting paid multi millions to understand who and what Melo is more than you.

Knicks fans think they are the smartest in room. NY arrogance? We consistently prove we are the dumbest.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/14/2017  9:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/14/2017  9:43 AM
Welpee wrote:
Sinix wrote:

+1

GMs from other teams who bring in expensive players like Melo have to sell it to their fan base as well. Publicly airing this team's dirty laundry doesn't make it any easier for another team to justify the expense of trading for Melo at this stage in his career.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/14/2017  9:32 AM
Sinix wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Sinix wrote:

What world do you live in where all other GM's don't get access to the same 82 games we just saw Melo play, the advanced metric stats and it's not a job they are getting paid multi millions to understand who and what Melo is more than you.

Knicks fans think they are the smartest in room. NY arrogance? We consistently prove we are the dumbest.

Your so right. This proves it.

https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/jeremy-lin-jimmy-neutron-hair-style-photo-amazing/amp

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/14/2017  9:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/14/2017  9:52 AM
Sinix wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Sinix wrote:

And what world do you live in where GMs know 100% of what goes on in every organization? Of course everybody has access to video and stats. But if Phil (through his mouthpiece Charlie Rosen) starts floating negative behind the scenes narratives about their player what do you think that does to his already compromised trade value? It sure as heck doesn't improve it.
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
7/14/2017  10:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/14/2017  10:59 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:I suspect we were going to be taking long bad contracts and or surrendering picks. Good on Perry if he stopped this.

Yes, keep making stuff up to create a position.

The whole thread is speculating what's going on. For the record, I want melo traded but I don't want the people who have been around the last Knick trades doing it. You are so obsessed with melo I doubt you'll be around after he's gone.

Aren't you the poster who keeps posting about melos thoughts and motivations and personal life even though you have zero insight into any if it?

Woj: Knicks have paused Melo trade talks.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy