[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo rumors heating up?
Author Thread
reub
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6227

7/25/2017  3:36 AM
I would take Ariza and Anderson right now for Melo although I'd still prefer getting Harkless.
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/25/2017  4:55 AM
reub wrote:I would take Ariza and Anderson right now for Melo although I'd still prefer getting Harkless.

Why? Then you're stuck with Andersons £20mil per salary for THREE years! (at a position where KP AND Willy play). I would rather buy Melo out than accept that crap. how does Ariza sweeten the pot?!

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/25/2017  7:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/25/2017  7:13 AM
smackeddog wrote:
reub wrote:I would take Ariza and Anderson right now for Melo although I'd still prefer getting Harkless.

Why? Then you're stuck with Andersons £20mil per salary for THREE years! (at a position where KP AND Willy play). I would rather buy Melo out than accept that crap. how does Ariza sweeten the pot?!

I was willing to take Anderson with two first round picks, I will take him with Ariza and one pick as well. The math you provide is not the ONLY version of the truth.

We owe Melo 54MM over two years, if we don't trsde him to Houston he will be pissed and probably won't take a buyout, Houston also can't pay him a lot unless they don't dump RA. Let's assume Melo agrees to buyouts at 50 MM

We would owe RA 60MM over 3 years, he can probably still make 10MM per in the FA market and his value is probably decent around 30MM for 3 years. Now maybe we pay him an extra 10MM and buy him out at 60-30+10= 40MM then by itself that's cheaper than Melo. We can buy him out up to 50MM of this contract and still be a wash.

Ariza and draft picks would be gravy, yes I made up those numbers (hint @Bonnie) but it's the premise I am trying to communicate. Melo only wants to play at Houston so we can only buy him out for what they can pay without making any changes. RA doesn't have that disadvantage.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/25/2017  9:32 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I was willing to take Anderson with two first round picks, I will take him with Ariza and one pick as well. The math you provide is not the ONLY version of the truth.

We owe Melo 54MM over two years, if we don't trsde him to Houston he will be pissed and probably won't take a buyout, Houston also can't pay him a lot unless they don't dump RA. Let's assume Melo agrees to buyouts at 50 MM

We would owe RA 60MM over 3 years, he can probably still make 10MM per in the FA market and his value is probably decent around 30MM for 3 years. Now maybe we pay him an extra 10MM and buy him out at 60-30+10= 40MM then by itself that's cheaper than Melo. We can buy him out up to 50MM of this contract and still be a wash.

Ariza and draft picks would be gravy, yes I made up those numbers (hint @Bonnie) but it's the premise I am trying to communicate. Melo only wants to play at Houston so we can only buy him out for what they can pay without making any changes. RA doesn't have that disadvantage.

Big assumption that I don't think happens. If Knicks don't trade Melo this year, I doubt he opts to stay in for another.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/25/2017  9:50 AM
martin wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Big assumption that I don't think happens. If Knicks don't trade Melo this year, I doubt he opts to stay in for another.

Depends on what's most importsnt to him. So far, it appears his top 2 priorities in life are his money and then playing with his friends. Not his family and not winning a championship. He's putting himself in a pickle because the Knicks can simply refuse to play him for 2 straight years and even tell him to stay home, if he doesn't budge on his trade demands while being trouble in the lockerroom. Would you be entirely shocked if he opted to just sit home (while wasting his career away as the Knicks rebuild) and collect that money? I wouldn't. All of these signs are starting to point towards basketball not being his top priority.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/25/2017  9:53 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Depends on what's most importsnt to him. So far, it appears his top 2 priorities in life are his money and then playing with his friends. Not his family and not winning a championship. He's putting himself in a pickle because the Knicks can simply refuse to play him for 2 straight years and even tell him to stay home, if he doesn't budge on his trade demands while being trouble in the lockerroom. Would you be entirely shocked if he opted to just sit home (while wasting his career away as the Knicks rebuild) and collect that money? I wouldn't. All of these signs are starting to point towards basketball not being his top priority.

Even if his priority is money, he may choose to opt out because of the over 38 rule. I think this next offseason will be his last opportunity to sign a 4 year deal.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/25/2017  9:57 AM
Right but who is going to give him a 4 year deal at his age?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/25/2017  10:46 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:Right but who is going to give him a 4 year deal at his age?

Knicks?

meloshouldgo

7/25/2017  10:48 AM
Rookie wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:Right but who is going to give him a 4 year deal at his age?

Knicks?

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

7/25/2017  11:10 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Ariza has no use to the 2016-17 Knicks.

As to Anderson, "if we don't trsde him to Houston he will be pissed and probably.." isn't a "version of the truth", it's speculation.

Your math is solid enough, RA's $62.2m isn't that much different that Melo's presumed $54.2m in the context of a buyout. It's a $27.9m ETtO in which you make a personal intuitive assumption.

That said, another assumption is Anderson's FA value and overlooking the fact nobody has any cap room left to give him $10m this year.

meloshouldgo

7/25/2017  11:26 AM
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Ariza has no use to the 2016-17 Knicks.

As to Anderson, "if we don't trsde him to Houston he will be pissed and probably.." isn't a "version of the truth", it's speculation.

Your math is solid enough, RA's $62.2m isn't that much different that Melo's presumed $54.2m in the context of a buyout. It's a $27.9m ETtO in which you make a personal intuitive assumption.

That said, another assumption is Anderson's FA value and overlooking the fact nobody has any cap room left to give him $10m this year.

LOL - I made up numbers to explain the premise. People just get so hung up on numbers. Can you clarify how the TO would apply? Would we pay for it or will Houston?

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/25/2017  11:34 AM
smackeddog wrote:

The only way we should agree with Anderson coming back with Ariza is if they include 3 1st round picks.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/25/2017  11:39 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

The only way we should agree with Anderson coming back with Ariza is if they include 3 1st round picks.

No one's giving up that much to get rid of Anderson, and I wouldn't need that much anyway. Frankly, I don't think Houston should be trying so hard to get rid of him. He's a 40+% 3 point shooter and he had the best on/off differential on the team (better than Harden!). I'm not saying he's actually a better player than Harden but I think he has a very good impact on the court. The prior year, he had the best on/off differential on the Pelicans.
CrushAlot
USA
7/25/2017  11:40 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Coud Arza be moved for a first like Lou Williams? He has a good contract and has value. Rumors are that Portland is back in as the third team. Knicks might end up with Harkless, Leonard and a pick.Leonard's contract isn't nearly as bad as Andesons.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/25/2017  11:44 AM
I'll say;

Melo and Lance to HOU
Anderson and Ariza to Portland
Harkless, Crabbe, non-guarentees from HOU and 2020 1st from HOU to NY

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/25/2017  11:55 AM
Knixkik wrote:I'll say;

Melo and Lance to HOU

problem is Crabbe is another guy signed forever. We end up with THjr, Lee and Crabbe all signed for 3 more years. We have a lot of guys on the roster.... I might actually prefer Anderson to Crabbe. Anderson is an incredible floor spacer and would be a nice bench player
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
USA
7/25/2017  12:12 PM
fishmike wrote:

Melo and Lance to HOU

problem is Crabbe is another guy signed forever. We end up with THjr, Lee and Crabbe all signed for 3 more years. We have a lot of guys on the roster.... I might actually prefer Anderson to Crabbe. Anderson is an incredible floor spacer and would be a nice bench player

Also, I think Crabbe has some poison pill aspects to his contract that would make it very hard to move him.
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/25/2017  12:15 PM
fishmike wrote:

Melo and Lance to HOU

I agree. Once we signed Hardaway that takes Crabbe off the table.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/25/2017  12:25 PM
I seriously think Portland is out of the trade possiblities because of the way Lillard and CJ were going after Melo. Besides do you see the return we get in Harkless and the rest? I don't care what draft picks we get back. I think this Kyrie deal is the only one to make right now. I don't want to talk about anything else. It's not worth the trouble aquiring players we basically already have on the roster. Kyrie is worth the trouble.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/25/2017  12:27 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

No one's giving up that much to get rid of Anderson, and I wouldn't need that much anyway. Frankly, I don't think Houston should be trying so hard to get rid of him. He's a 40+% 3 point shooter and he had the best on/off differential on the team (better than Harden!). I'm not saying he's actually a better player than Harden but I think he has a very good impact on the court. The prior year, he had the best on/off differential on the Pelicans.
Bonn we agree here. Anderson's contract is bad but it comes with a pretty good player who would play a nice role here. I have wavered on him a bit but I dont see a better market for Melo (or willingness) so its more about what comes back with Anderson. Maybe Capella (who we maybe flip) a future #1 and Anderson for Melo. That kills our future cap but does give us more assets to build with.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Melo rumors heating up?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy