[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo rumors heating up?
Author Thread
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

7/19/2017  12:32 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:The solution is for Melo to accept a deal to another team.

The Knicks are going to be hard pressed to trade him.

They are going to be hard pressed to suspend him or bench him, if he's healthy.

The only solution is two fold

A) Hammer him in the press. He only responds when his "brand" is under assault or his public perception. Hammer him over and over and eventually he'll crack. Do you think all these anti-Phil articles came from nowhere recently ( I'm not saying Jackson is blameless either) Melo is using this tactic to get what he wants, the Knicks can too. Melo got a stripper pregnant. Fine. Send a Knicks internal security guy to pay her off a little, she goes to the press, shows the baby, cries on camera, and denounces Melo as a person. How long is he gonna stay in NY then?

B) Play him 48 minutes a game. Play him every minute of every game he stays on this roster. Grind him into the ground. Someone will say that's unreasonable. Say it simple, we don't have more talent, he is our "Olympian" and the team needs his scoring. Just keep running him out there. The point where he refuses to go into a game, suspend him. The narrative is simple, Melo doesn't want to play. Grind him down, over and over again, then say "We aren't going to trade him period" and then publicly open up contract negotiations ( from the Vivek Ranadive playbook here) and say the Knicks want Melo here for the next four years after ( they don't really, but this position would box Melo into a corner) Give him the assignment to defend the best offensive player on the other team, all the time. No matter what. He refuses. Suspend him. Watch him get torched on YouTube night after night and get posterized, let's see how that helps his brand.

And that's it, that's all the Knicks can reasonably do to increase their leverage here.

I'm no sure if you're serious here. I hope you're not.

Knicks leverage is pretty simple.

They can say no.

People who say the Knicks can't say no or it will be the ruination of the team are being overly dramatic.

I support the Knicks starting the season without Melo on the roster, but it isn't a matter of life or death.

AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/19/2017  1:12 AM
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:The solution is for Melo to accept a deal to another team. Opt out next off season and sign with Houston as a FA. Or maybe an even better opportunity presents itself when the banana boat all are available.

Melo was fine with staying in NY as far as we knew until Paul went totally unexpectedly to Houston.

He's playing it to his advantage to get where he wants to go most. But I think people need to consider that Melo staying in NY may not actually the apocalypse. He may not want to leave as badly as all that.

btw, if he opts out next year to sign with Houston as a FA he opts out of $28m to sign for their MLE.

Houston of course would have to find a way to dump Anderson which may be easier next off season when he has 2 yrs left instead of 3.
He should accept a deal to Portland with 2 elite playmakers. Play out the year on a good team that he could maybe help with some good pieces. Then pick his team.

A deal with OKC may make some sense. They may want to unload Kanter for better spacing. He can be moved in a 3 team deal. Nicer player to get something back for then Anderson.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knickoftime

7/19/2017  1:48 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:The solution is for Melo to accept a deal to another team. Opt out next off season and sign with Houston as a FA. Or maybe an even better opportunity presents itself when the banana boat all are available.

Melo was fine with staying in NY as far as we knew until Paul went totally unexpectedly to Houston.

He's playing it to his advantage to get where he wants to go most. But I think people need to consider that Melo staying in NY may not actually the apocalypse. He may not want to leave as badly as all that.

btw, if he opts out next year to sign with Houston as a FA he opts out of $28m to sign for their MLE.

Houston of course would have to find a way to dump Anderson which may be easier next off season when he has 2 yrs left instead of 3.
He should accept a deal to Portland with 2 elite playmakers. Play out the year on a good team that he could maybe help with some good pieces. Then pick his team.

A deal with OKC may make some sense. They may want to unload Kanter for better spacing. He can be moved in a 3 team deal. Nicer player to get something back for then Anderson.

He's trying to pick his team now so his first choice will also have his bird rights.

Accepting any other team other than his first choices just doesn't offer him any upside.

And I don't see any Portland package that's any more attractive than Anderson.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/19/2017  6:42 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

A) Hammer him in the press. He only responds when his "brand" is under assault or his public perception. Hammer him over and over and eventually he'll crack. Do you think all these anti-Phil articles came from nowhere recently ( I'm not saying Jackson is blameless either) Melo is using this tactic to get what he wants, the Knicks can too. Melo got a stripper pregnant. Fine. Send a Knicks internal security guy to pay her off a little, she goes to the press, shows the baby, cries on camera, and denounces Melo as a person. How long is he gonna stay in NY then?

B) Play him 48 minutes a game. Play him every minute of every game he stays on this roster. Grind him into the ground. Someone will say that's unreasonable. Say it simple, we don't have more talent, he is our "Olympian" and the team needs his scoring. Just keep running him out there. The point where he refuses to go into a game, suspend him. The narrative is simple, Melo doesn't want to play. Grind him down, over and over again, then say "We aren't going to trade him period" and then publicly open up contract negotiations ( from the Vivek Ranadive playbook here) and say the Knicks want Melo here for the next four years after ( they don't really, but this position would box Melo into a corner) Give him the assignment to defend the best offensive player on the other team, all the time. No matter what. He refuses. Suspend him. Watch him get torched on YouTube night after night and get posterized, let's see how that helps his brand.

And that's it, that's all the Knicks can reasonably do to increase their leverage here.

I like your postsand you write well. But the above is not a solution. It may feel right, but as an organization you can't afford to play dirty it will come back and destroy you. If no other solution works we can cut him or bench him. If we bench him it will still cause animosity around the league, if we cut him it's 54 million on the books. That's why I think Ryan Anderson at 6 million more isn't horrible. Still paying a load of money for an overrated player but at least it's not for someone who makes the whole work environment toxic by his mere presence. Add ineffective coaching and front office and we see why we are where we are. Any Ryan Anderson deal has to bring us Two first round picks. At this point given the choices, I would take the picks and let Ryan Anderson backup KP and Billy. It's a bad fit for a team with this many 4s and 5s but let's use this year and the next to really focus on building up our youth. That feels like the right thing to do.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/19/2017  6:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/19/2017  6:54 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

I like your postsand you write well. But the above is not a solution. It may feel right, but as an organization you can't afford to play dirty it will come back and destroy you. If no other solution works we can cut him or bench him. If we bench him it will still cause animosity around the league, if we cut him it's 54 million on the books. That's why I think Ryan Anderson at 6 million more isn't horrible. Still paying a load of money for an overrated player but at least it's not for someone who makes the whole work environment toxic by his mere presence. Add ineffective coaching and front office and we see why we are where we are. Any Ryan Anderson deal has to bring us Two first round picks. At this point given the choices, I would take the picks and let Ryan Anderson backup KP and Billy. It's a bad fit for a team with this many 4s and 5s but let's use this year and the next to really focus on building up our youth. That feels like the right thing to do.

But the season doesn't begin tomorrow. The Knicks have time on their side. We're not set up to win big anytime soon. Houston (and Melo for that matter) has a tight window to make it happen. If they really think Melo takes them to another level the pressure is on them to make it happen. And don't forget, Cleveland is still out there. Who is to say they can't bring another team in for a three-way involving Thompson if they're determined not to trade Love.

We are under no obligation to take a bad deal just to pacify Melo. And they are under no obligation to do this quickly to pacify the fans. If Melo wants out so badly then broaden this NTC waiver and agree to be traded to more than two teams. Otherwise he'll just have to suck it up and accept his fate.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/19/2017  7:48 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Guys onnClutchFans are speculating that Capella might be added to the deal. Tweets aren't loading n their site with my wifi so I am not sure if it is just speculation.

I'd like to get him but not sure how his $2m salary makes much of a difference. Also, he is there starting C, so it would be a bad move on their part to trade him for a no rebounding, no defense, no hops Melo.

If I am the Knicks, then I'd consider Anderson, Capella and the #1 in 2021 no restrictions. Capella would be a good fit next to KP for the next 10 years, he is only 23 years old. Use Anderson as a shooter off the bench. A Steve Novak type...yes its expensive but you get rid of Melo. The team benefit of that cannot be measured in dollars!

Houston will be good for 2 more years and then they will bottom out in 4 years, NY will have a lottery pick.

Although I really like the idea of keeping him and making his life miserable too!

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/19/2017  7:55 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Guys onnClutchFans are speculating that Capella might be added to the deal. Tweets aren't loading n their site with my wifi so I am not sure if it is just speculation.

I'd like to get him but not sure how his $2m salary makes much of a difference. Also, he is there starting C, so it would be a bad move on their part to trade him for a no rebounding, no defense, no hops Melo.

If I am the Knicks, then I'd consider Anderson, Capella and the #1 in 2021 no restrictions. Capella would be a good fit next to KP for the next 10 years, he is only 23 years old. Use Anderson as a shooter off the bench. A Steve Novak type...yes its expensive but you get rid of Melo. The team benefit of that cannot be measured in dollars!

Houston will be good for 2 more years and then they will bottom out in 4 years, NY will have a lottery pick.

Although I really like the idea of keeping him and making his life miserable too!

I'd be more interested in unloading Noah and getting Capella than getting the 2020 and 2022 draft picks since we have no idea how good those picks will be. I'd be willing to take back Anderson in this case. It would have to be part of a multi-team deal since we'd be sending Houston so much money in salaries.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/19/2017  8:39 AM
Capella was a big part of their success last season. The are in win now mode.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/19/2017  8:59 AM
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

He's trying to pick his team now so his first choice will also have his bird rights.

Accepting any other team other than his first choices just doesn't offer him any upside.

Harkless and Leanard are close money wise. I would do it if we take back Harkless and a pick and some other team takes Leanard. Portland will have to offer something to that other team (see Nets/Carrol trade) but thats still a big plus for Portland. Knicks get a good athletic defender in Harkless, a pick (probably not very good) and while Harkless runs 3 more years (vs. Melo's 2) Knicks more on from Melo, dont take bad contracts... clean break.

Time will tell but I think that is far more desirable than ANY scenario that ends with Ryan Anderson being a Knick

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
7/19/2017  9:16 AM
Nalod wrote:Capella was a big part of their success last season. The are in win now mode.

Do they want Melo or not? Sorry but they don't get him for free. If they want a center, I'm OK with Melo, Noah, and KOQ for Anderson, Airza, and Capella. They'd have to find a 3rd team to take Gordon but that should be more doable than finding a 3rd team to take Anderson.
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/19/2017  9:38 AM
Houston wants Melo (plus for them) and to unload Anderson (plus for them). So what's the benefit to us again? Houston (and Melo's reps) needs to step up and find a way to make this deal beneficial to us. Otherwise I say just wait it out. No rush on our part.
Nalod
USA
7/19/2017  9:59 AM
Knickoftime wrote:
Nalod wrote:Melo wanted NY and didn't care what was left on the team. he was 27.

Knicks were on pace to qualify for the postseason THAT year.

To suggest he should have waited until the offseason because it somehow would put the Knicks in some much superior long-term position is wrongheaded.

And as it turns out, wrong.

Im thinking Morey has to act quick before team is sold, but at the same time he can't leverage up the cap too bad leaving a mess for the new owner in Two years.

The issue is, he just doesn't have that many options.

Nalod totally gets it that he was never coming here as a free agent.
Looming strike, he was having surgery, and opting out would be stupid for him. I don't blame him at all.
I just find it ironic, thats all.

Nalod
USA
7/19/2017  10:11 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:Capella was a big part of their success last season. The are in win now mode.

Do they want Melo or not? Sorry but they don't get him for free. If they want a center, I'm OK with Melo, Noah, and KOQ for Anderson, Airza, and Capella. They'd have to find a 3rd team to take Gordon but that should be more doable than finding a 3rd team to take Anderson.

Im with you, but the reality is Melo, Harden and Paul still need a team around them. Giving Noah and taking Anderson creates another vacuum for a third team. Reezy is needed on that team.
Nalod likes to look at both sides and see what they need to succeed and make that trade work. If not, why bother? Knicks perspective is one part. Personally I'd love to see Capella, but we do have Willy. Its a good asset as Capella is a good player with upside.

Knicks new regime is not rolling over and making a stupid deal. Its not even that we are acting badly, its also holding Melo to his word and he too has to be reasonable. He is applying his leverage, we are applying ours. Nothing personal in between, this is just business. I don't have the solution. Morey Im sure his staring at a board with names on it figuring out a blend of players to succeed. Im sure he is bothering MDA many times a day "what about......this, or that".

Knicks took Rockets down the path and likley too far to turn around. I think Phil was too emotional and mucked it all up. When "buy out" became a topic it was the wroing path. Melo is not damaged goods. He is an allstar player and a dangerous threat on the court.

Bonn1997
USA
7/19/2017  11:05 AM
Nalod wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Im with you, but the reality is Melo, Harden and Paul still need a team around them. Giving Noah and taking Anderson creates another vacuum for a third team. Reezy is needed on that team.
Nalod likes to look at both sides and see what they need to succeed and make that trade work. If not, why bother? Knicks perspective is one part. Personally I'd love to see Capella, but we do have Willy. Its a good asset as Capella is a good player with upside.

Knicks new regime is not rolling over and making a stupid deal. Its not even that we are acting badly, its also holding Melo to his word and he too has to be reasonable. He is applying his leverage, we are applying ours. Nothing personal in between, this is just business. I don't have the solution. Morey Im sure his staring at a board with names on it figuring out a blend of players to succeed. Im sure he is bothering MDA many times a day "what about......this, or that".

Knicks took Rockets down the path and likley too far to turn around. I think Phil was too emotional and mucked it all up. When "buy out" became a topic it was the wroing path. Melo is not damaged goods. He is an allstar player and a dangerous threat on the court.

Yeah I agree. It's not easy to make the deal. If they insisted on keeping Ariza but would do the deal where they throw in all those players making $1.3 mil on their roster, I'd probably still do that.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/19/2017  11:20 AM
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

At this stage of the game does bird rights mean anything though? His next contract will probably be his last. Will he make more then 20 mil per year on his next contract?

Houston doesn't have the pieces to trade for him. There isn't any upside for the Knicks to make that deal. Knicks don't have to trade him. Playing for Portland for one year would be better then playing for the Knicks this coming yr.

I would take back Harkless, Aminu, Ed Davis, Noah Vonleh, Napier and a draft pick or 2.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knickoftime

7/19/2017  11:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/19/2017  11:33 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

At this stage of the game does bird rights mean anything though? His next contract will probably be his last. Will he make more then 20 mil per year on his next contract?

Of course it does. Bird Rights isn't just for getting THE max, its for getting YOUR max at whatever stage in your career you are.

A team with his Bird Rights would be in position to give him his maximum effective value, more perhaps than he can get from a team with cap space in the open market.

It's not about Houston (for example) giving him $30m per year his next contract, but they don't have to create cap space to give him $17m or whatever he'd be worth in 1 or 2 seasons.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/19/2017  11:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/19/2017  11:57 AM
Welpee wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

But the season doesn't begin tomorrow. The Knicks have time on their side. We're not set up to win big anytime soon. Houston (and Melo for that matter) has a tight window to make it happen. If they really think Melo takes them to another level the pressure is on them to make it happen. And don't forget, Cleveland is still out there. Who is to say they can't bring another team in for a three-way involving Thompson if they're determined not to trade Love.

We are under no obligation to take a bad deal just to pacify Melo. And they are under no obligation to do this quickly to pacify the fans. If Melo wants out so badly then broaden this NTC waiver and agree to be traded to more than two teams. Otherwise he'll just have to suck it up and accept his fate.

Agree with all that. There is good time to hold your ground and a not so good time. There are too many negative variables in this scenario.
1. NTC
2. Melo may change his mind and refuse trade later
3. Houston may deal Ryan A to somewhere else for something else, evening include their picks with that
4. Our BATNA is cutting Melo - 54MM dead weight on cap
5. The probability of getting real value back is not very high (my opinion)

I really don't think we should use this trade to make our stand.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/19/2017  11:40 AM
Welpee wrote:Houston wants Melo (plus for them) and to unload Anderson (plus for them). So what's the benefit to us again? Houston (and Melo's reps) needs to step up and find a way to make this deal beneficial to us. Otherwise I say just wait it out. No rush on our part.

If Capela was included, i would gladly take Anderson. Would be a big get for this team. A young, up and coming player. I would give them back O'Quinn to replace their center depth. Melo and KOQ for Anderson, Capela, 2020 1st, and their non-guaranteed contracts to make it work. If Houston wants to get Melo while trading Anderson, then Capela and a future 1st is a fair price. They will still have KOQ, Nene, and T Black at center, so it leaves them plenty of depth.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/19/2017  11:48 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Welpee wrote:Houston wants Melo (plus for them) and to unload Anderson (plus for them). So what's the benefit to us again? Houston (and Melo's reps) needs to step up and find a way to make this deal beneficial to us. Otherwise I say just wait it out. No rush on our part.

If Capela was included, i would gladly take Anderson. Would be a big get for this team. A young, up and coming player. I would give them back O'Quinn to replace their center depth. Melo and KOQ for Anderson, Capela, 2020 1st, and their non-guaranteed contracts to make it work. If Houston wants to get Melo while trading Anderson, then Capela and a future 1st is a fair price. They will still have KOQ, Nene, and T Black at center, so it leaves them plenty of depth.

That deal makes a lot of sense and also removes the complications of a three team deal. Is Capela a free agent after this year? It might be another incentive for Houston to move him.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/19/2017  11:52 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

That deal makes a lot of sense and also removes the complications of a three team deal. Is Capela a free agent after this year? It might be another incentive for Houston to move him.

That deal makes sense for NY. Capela and the pick make it worh it. No protection on the pick and I would ask for the 2021 pick instead...they will be bad the year before that.

I think Capela is a good fit next to KP.

Melo rumors heating up?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy