Author Thread
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
7/7/2017  10:20 AM
Ira wrote:
Ira wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

Thompson's plus minus is 2.33 - 4th among shooting guards. Hardaway's is 0.82 - 15th among shooting guards.

Dion Waiter's plus minus is 0.05 - 25th among shooting guards.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/2

AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

7/7/2017  10:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  10:23 AM
anrst wrote:THJ was Melo's boy...

............................ is this to appease Melo?

I thought about that right away, but it's clear Melo is open to staying but the Knicks want to trade him. If there is someone they want to appease it's KP. They seem to have no issues with Melo now that Phil is out of the picture. Melo knows Knicks are rebuilding, NY wants to trade Melo and Melo's given them two teams - CLE and Houston.

But yes worse case if Melo is back, it helps that you have some players he likes to play with in Kristaps, THj. On paper, a team with Porzingis, Melo and THj, would and should make the playoffs. It's not a bad team, it just won't go anywhere but stuck as a lower playoff seed. That's the best case in keeping Melo. You are a lower playoff seed that's bounced in round 1, and then he opts out in a year and goes to a contender or better playoff team for nothing. Best move is to trade him now and get some longterm assets back.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/7/2017  10:24 AM

I wasn't aware of that. I recall THJ a couple of times mouthing off to Melo about not getting back on D, and Melo not liking that

(5)(5)
Chandler

7/7/2017  10:25 AM
Ira wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

Thompson's plus minus is 2.33 - 4th among shooting guards. Hardaway's is 0.82 - 15th among shooting guards.

thanks. SHows two things, THJ's salary is somewhat in line with his +/-

And that GSW fairly consistently get great value -- when there's a cap it's all about how much value you get

(5)(5)
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/7/2017  10:26 AM
BRIGGS wrote:95% of Knicks fans thinks the deal was dumb 100% of Atlanta fans agree.

Dion Waiters got 50mm and Hardaway 71

No way to chew it--my bet is fans will have a quick buyers remorse and well be discussing how to get rid of Hardaways contract in 2 years.

and 95% of Knick fans have seen THjr play exactly as much as you have... a few playoff games last year and probably the bad ones.

If we signed the player that finished the year than this is actually not a bad add. That of course is the big risk.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Chandler

7/7/2017  10:27 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:95% of Knicks fans thinks the deal was dumb 100% of Atlanta fans agree.

No way to chew it--my bet is fans will have a quick buyers remorse and well be discussing how to get rid of Hardaways contract in 2 years.

Mills overpaid so Atlanta would not match.
He did it after Waiters rejected his offer.
They want a starting level 2 guard that can give 15 points a night to pair with Ntilikina in the backcourt longterm. 25 and younger is what they want.

After Waiters, next best option was Hardaway.

The money does suck. I agree. It's a huge risk. I hope Atlanta matches, but I like we went after a guy that is young on the upswing or upward slope of his career vs going for Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Courtney Lee, Brandon Jennings who are on the downward trend of their careers.

i'm glad we didn't get Waiters. I'm happy for Dion but he's been on several teams and sucked. Maybe he found a home in Miami and good for him. Here I thing he'd be Melo-lite, holding the ball etc

THJ has played in NYC and liked it; He competes. I am shocked at the money, but I have been shocked by probably 20 or 30 contracts in the last 2 years alone

I will hope for the best

(5)(5)
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/7/2017  10:32 AM
My takeaway - Knicks are moving away from triangle and more towards the modern NBA pace and space offense. THJ was the best player available 'that the Knicks could actually get now' that fits with the youth movement and style of play under Jeff going forward. I'm not going to cry over the dollars, the player fits the team and the coach.

The Knicks will be a better team with athletic wings then they would be with aging slower wings (Lee). Even the two dudes rumored from Portland will be a better team fit going forward even though they are not exactly world beaters. The team itself is shaping up to be more athletic with higher motor geared towards playing at a faster pace.

It short, I won't cry over a haul of THJ, Mo and Leonard. It will help the coach establish a style of play that will be in line with the direction the entire NBA is moving in. I am going to stay focused on team make up and not hyper focus on one player or deal.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/7/2017  10:37 AM
Timmys really blossomed into a real player .1 he became the hawks best player in the second half of the season. There were games where Timmy just took over looking like a young Kobe. I have my fingers crossed that the hawks don't match, I don't think they will that's a lot of money for a team that is definitely in tank mode. Timmy will become part of the core future the kid is a baller . Also this move brings lee off the bench where he belongs and has thrived in the past.
JabStepDagger7
Member: #7497

7/7/2017  10:41 AM
BRIGGS wrote:35% of our cap is Noah and THJ.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/7/2017  10:43 AM
Chandler wrote:
Ira wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

thanks. SHows two things, THJ's salary is somewhat in line with his +/-

And that GSW fairly consistently get great value -- when there's a cap it's all about how much value you get

Why are we comparing THJ to Thompson?!? Thompson is in the middle of contract that he signed yrs ago so this is an unfair comparison. If Thompson were a Fa, you think he's signing 4 for 71 mil?!?!

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/7/2017  10:45 AM
fishmike wrote:

and 95% of Knick fans have seen THjr play exactly as much as you have... a few playoff games last year and probably the bad ones.

If we signed the player that finished the year than this is actually not a bad add. That of course is the big risk.

I am of the 5%...I saw Hardaway quite a bit last yr..There were many games down the stretch of the season where he was the best player on the Hawks team...This is a good signing. Granted, more moves need to be made but this signing does nothing to go against the rebuild with youth theme...

Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
7/7/2017  10:46 AM
JabStepDagger7 wrote:

BRIGGS statements is just silly. Why not just post THJ % of cap....why include Noah?

THJ....16% of cap.

PURE KNICKS LOVE
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/7/2017  10:51 AM
Chandler wrote:As a comp Miami just signed olynk for 12/year. Which I think is 11 too much

But he plays dirty and Riley likes that

For context, I think the MLE is $8mil next year, so use that as a barometer to calculate salaries.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/7/2017  10:51 AM
Andrew wrote:
JabStepDagger7 wrote:

BRIGGS statements is just silly. Why not just post THJ % of cap....why include Noah?

THJ....16% of cap.

Thank you and a 25 year old who has potential to be a all star next to KP and Willy , shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Noah .

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/7/2017  10:53 AM

You're flattering the Knicks by presuming there is some sort of strategy behind their moves!

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/7/2017  10:58 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:BLOODY HAAIL???
The idiots that wanted to fire Phil should be jumping up and and down. We are back to "37 wins now with Melo". WHOOOOOO - talk about making a splash! HEE HAAW!!

Can we please get Marbury back from China?

This is awesome @#**(@$$

------IF STEVE MILLS GETS HIT BY A BUS, I WON'T CRY

CAN'T FIX STUPID.

Firing Phil doesn't mean you hire dumb @ss. Why couldn't the Knicks just go for the scraps after the Nets search and hire that guy from the Rockets?

Firing Phil means getting rid of the only person with the stones to actually attempt a rebuild while letting his stellar resume take the hit. People who couldn't wait to get rid of him deserve this outcome. The Knicks don't need to hire dumbass, beteween owner, "star player", front office yes men, beat writers and "fans" they've got all the bases covered. Continue to pretend that we will hire smart people who will magically put together a winning roster by signing FAs or rebuild the "right way" instead of actually investing in a process so it can succeed.

Phil gave out two of the worst contracts in the league. One deal appears to have been more relationship based then for basketball skills and team building. Phil was really bad. Nothing he did or was doing was hinting at succeeding. Moving on was the right thing to do. But Mills already has a bad resume with the Knicks. He should not be the guy again. This didn't come close to working the first time. Damn it! Even Vlade seems to be getting the running a team thing now.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/7/2017  11:29 AM
Andrew wrote:
JabStepDagger7 wrote:

THJ....16% of cap.

Those are our 2 last big contracts given in free agency. If you want to add Lee that nearly half the cap on Lee THJ and Noah--think about it. Id rather give Holiday 4mm or last year Seth Curry 3-4mm--why do we always pay so much??? Then the players sck and we have trouble moving them. There is no change here.

RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/7/2017  11:42 AM
Butler and Klay will be getting substantial raises, so to use them as the bellweather is short sighted.
25 year old THjr is worth more than Jr Smith who makes 15 plus. NTC? Thats what you have to do with a restricted kid.
Courtney Lee is expendible, and you talking only 5mil difference in pay.
Lets see what the finished roster is.
Sinix
Member: #7495

7/7/2017  12:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  12:04 PM
Chandler wrote:

I wasn't aware of that. I recall THJ a couple of times mouthing off to Melo about not getting back on D, and Melo not liking that

Melo threw a diva fit and shade towards Phil when THjr was traded.

Bringing THjr back was to placate Melo.

You people need to start thinking between the lines. Dropping Phil was a Melo power play. He's not going anywhere.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/7/2017  12:05 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Andrew wrote:
JabStepDagger7 wrote:

THJ....16% of cap.

Those are our 2 last big contracts given in free agency. If you want to add Lee that nearly half the cap on Lee THJ and Noah--think about it. Id rather give Holiday 4mm or last year Seth Curry 3-4mm--why do we always pay so much??? Then the players sck and we have trouble moving them. There is no change here.

Briggs and TH JR together make 16% of the cap. And Briggs can't even play. WTF were they thinking?
lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy