[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/7/2017  8:54 AM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.
yea... his +/- are pretty fantastic also.

http://www.82games.com/1617/16ATL6.HTM

Almost every number both offensive and defensive improved with THjr on the floor for the Hawks.

I am moving my WTF to a wait and see. This was a player who's impact to the team shows in the numbers, on both sides. We have Lee here... lets see what happens.

This...More than the numbers, it showed in his play on the court and he def passed the eye test. I saw a ton of Hawks games and he was the best player on their team at times. They were looking to him down the stretch and he delivered at times. His game has evolved from just a 3 pt gunslinger to a guy who can take the ball to the rack and finish. He has a lot of bounce in in his game and finishes above the rim. What impressed me most was his confidence. 2nd half of last yr, he played not only like he belonged, but like he was among the best players on the court...

AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

7/7/2017  8:56 AM
Time to bring back Shved
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

Sinix wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Sinix wrote:Is it too late to nix this deal and ask Phil to come back?

These guys are going to try and out a team around melo. Smfh.

THj and Melo were very tight. I remember Melo feeling some type of way about the trade. I'm wondering if this was a way to also keep melo after his contract expires on a cheap deal as a mentor for this youth movement. I'm not sure but based on rumors they are trying to pick the best offer for melo and all the other vets of value. build a solid core around KP. then give KP melo money when his contract is up. hope THj will be close to a franchise player. He has the potential and pedigree.

I know my Knicks and melo and what is going to happen. They are playing a Pr game that's going to end up with melo staying. Melo too. They are going to say they tried to trade him but they couldn't get it done. They will try to get heat off themselves that way.

I wouldn't be surprised if Isiah is pulling the strings behind the scenes. Dolan always keeps his pets around way longer than they should be. He's kept Isiah around despite all the bull**** and he wants to do the same for melo.

Yep, it's Melo's fault. And if we trade him to Houston for Anderson, it's also Melo's fault. As is not hiring a GM and placing Mills in charge of deals. Come on wake up, Dolan is to blame for all.of it. This will always be a clown show. His IQ was on display the night Oakley got thrown out.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

HofstraBBall wrote:Lmao. The madness!!

Same people who thought it was okay for Phil to dump Thjr for Grant. Can someone please come up with a few billion to buy this fat bastard Dolan out.

Apparently, Steve Mills wasn't one of them...

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/7/2017  9:04 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

or Jimmy Butler considering he makes a million less

First, I didn't say it was a good contract. I understand the reasoning though and don't think it's terrible. Second, you really can only compare salaries when the players sign in the same off-season.

I think 4 years 50-60 million was right. My problem is we feel the need to overspend 3 or 4 million a year on every contract, or we throw in an extra year, Why is there a trade kicker? Why is Tim Hardaway Jr. absolutely vital to the Knicks having a chance to win? The fact is he isn't, but the Knicks paid him like he was. If we were a piece away I would get it. By why in the midst of a rebuild do we need to shackle ourselves with over inflated contracts. Now we are taking about taking on 4 year deals from Portland? Meyers sucks donkey balls at 10 million a year, thats another horrid contract. We are killing all flexibility and we won't even win 30 games. Why not just sign bums for a year or 2 and win 20 games.

Bonn - if you can't compare salaries across years then you shouldn't be comparing +/= across teams, divisions, conferences or years unless the formula adjusts for quality of opponent on each game and things like teams always bringing their A game when playing the Warriors while they lapse into over confidence when playing bottomfeeders. We can't adjust for everything out there so sometimes you use the best approximation you have. Salaries is a perfectly fair comparison.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/7/2017  9:05 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I can't believe the Knicks watched the playoffs and did this?
Hardaway is going to under immense pressure
To succeed which will tough. George Hill is making less -- a position of need?
We couldn't trade for a decent 2 guard?

Jerome James had a great post-season! You don't spend based on the playoffs. You're talking about just a couple of games.

Bonn the playoffs with Washington went 7 games

thj started only 30 reg season games-- it gives you a sense of what he can do on a bigger stage
He's not even a good 3 point shooter. He was able to capitalize on some easy baskets in a system that featured hardawy as the 4-5 option. When you have to rely on a jumpshot-- does tim hard away come to mind? What's his lifetime 3 pt%?

6 games 4 of which were bad. You can't judge a guy on 4 games. That's a terrible philosophy.

And your other question. Hardaway is basically an average 3 point shooter (35 or 36%). He hit 54% of his 2s the last two seasons though and has about a 2:1 assist turnover ratio and around 80% FT shooting. So that's pretty efficient overall on offense.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/7/2017  9:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  9:10 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

or Jimmy Butler considering he makes a million less

First, I didn't say it was a good contract. I understand the reasoning though and don't think it's terrible. Second, you really can only compare salaries when the players sign in the same off-season.

I think 4 years 50-60 million was right. My problem is we feel the need to overspend 3 or 4 million a year on every contract, or we throw in an extra year, Why is there a trade kicker? Why is Tim Hardaway Jr. absolutely vital to the Knicks having a chance to win? The fact is he isn't, but the Knicks paid him like he was. If we were a piece away I would get it. By why in the midst of a rebuild do we need to shackle ourselves with over inflated contracts. Now we are taking about taking on 4 year deals from Portland? Meyers sucks donkey balls at 10 million a year, thats another horrid contract. We are killing all flexibility and we won't even win 30 games. Why not just sign bums for a year or 2 and win 20 games.

Bonn - if you can't compare salaries across years then you shouldn't be comparing +/= across teams, divisions, conferences or years unless the formula adjusts for quality of opponent on each game and things like teams always bringing their A game when playing the Warriors while they lapse into over confidence when playing bottomfeeders. We can't adjust for everything out there so sometimes you use the best approximation you have. Salaries is a perfectly fair comparison.

The salary cap and thus player salaries drastically change every year. There isn't the same drastic change in any of the other stats you're talking about, though it is reasonable to look at quality of opponents. The defensive stats posted in another thread do that.
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

7/7/2017  9:20 AM
I'm pretty sure that being traded, then even being sent to the D League, made THj transform into a different player.
That is not what happened in NY.
We were right for trading the guy, we made the wrong choice with who we took (Grant) but we made the right call.

I don't know about this contract though. Seems too rich.
Much would prefer the type of contracts Mo Harkless, Leonard and 25 and under players have like that.

Hardaway may just lose that edge and motivation once he gets this money.
Thought the guy always had scoring ability which he has now proven. Defense seems better.
Will it be consistent? Will the same passion and pride be there now that he's being paid like a star?
Will his head get too big in NY, if Melo is traded, and now he's the best scoring wing on the team?

I don't know about this contract, but the type of player THj is, he is the right target. 25 and under. Athletic prime years ahead. Potential for two way. Fits into a Hornachek style offense. Just don't know if the contract is going to be worth it and if he keeps the same passion and dedication once being paid like this. I hope Atlanta matches.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/7/2017  9:24 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Jerome James had a great post-season! You don't spend based on the playoffs. You're talking about just a couple of games.

thj started only 30 reg season games-- it gives you a sense of what he can do on a bigger stage
He's not even a good 3 point shooter. He was able to capitalize on some easy baskets in a system that featured hardawy as the 4-5 option. When you have to rely on a jumpshot-- does tim hard away come to mind? What's his lifetime 3 pt%?

6 games 4 of which were bad. You can't judge a guy on 4 games. That's a terrible philosophy.

And your other question. Hardaway is basically an average 3 point shooter (35 or 36%). He hit 54% of his 2s the last two seasons though and has about a 2:1 assist turnover ratio and around 80% FT shooting. So that's pretty efficient overall on offense.
I was really impressed with Atl's shooting with him on floor vs. off. Defense also. They are simply much better on both sides with THjr.

I think they match.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nyknickzingis

7/7/2017  9:28 AM
With Ntilikina, Dotson, Hardaway ... all of a sudden we have 3 players at the perimeter that can defend and also shoot the 3. Big contrast from last year around Willy/KP. I also like the Harkless/Leonard for Melo trade rumor.

My only issue with this is Hardaway's contract will be virtually untradable if he does what many times happens in post-contract year situations. Player has an outstanding contract year. Then tends to go back to the mean, career averages. In THj case this is like 10-12 points, inconsistent scoring and decent but not great production. Look at Allen Crabbe for example. Now you paid for a guy that will be very very hard to move via trade.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/7/2017  9:35 AM
I will look at this with an open mind. The contract is huge but it really isn't in this new NBA landscape and it's 100M+ cap. Look at what olynik got in miami. THjr is a young, long player that can shoot. The type of player we are looking for to compliment KP and Willy. Trade Melo and we are good to go.
toodarkmark
Member: #515
USA
7/7/2017  9:45 AM
My God.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/7/2017  9:51 AM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

I was really impressed with Atl's shooting with him on floor vs. off. Defense also. They are simply much better on both sides with THjr.

I think they match.

I DON'T THINK THEY WILL, for the hawks to keep him at the price with no other scorer on the roster is ridiculous, atleast the knicks still have melo and kp, and wont be running the triangle.

As much as I hate mills, I think this is a decent move

ES
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/7/2017  9:58 AM
With millsap gone can't see Atlanta matching.
(5)(5)
Ira
Member: #91
7/7/2017  10:13 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:

Thompson's plus minus is 2.33 - 4th among shooting guards. Hardaway's is 0.82 - 15th among shooting guards.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/7/2017  10:13 AM
95% of Knicks fans thinks the deal was dumb 100% of Atlanta fans agree.

Dion Waiters got 50mm and Hardaway 71

No way to chew it--my bet is fans will have a quick buyers remorse and well be discussing how to get rid of Hardaways contract in 2 years.

RIP Crushalot😞
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
7/7/2017  10:19 AM
THJ was Melo's boy...

............................ is this to appease Melo?

nyknickzingis

BRIGGS wrote:95% of Knicks fans thinks the deal was dumb 100% of Atlanta fans agree.

Dion Waiters got 50mm and Hardaway 71

No way to chew it--my bet is fans will have a quick buyers remorse and well be discussing how to get rid of Hardaways contract in 2 years.

Mills overpaid so Atlanta would not match.
He did it after Waiters rejected his offer.
They want a starting level 2 guard that can give 15 points a night to pair with Ntilikina in the backcourt longterm. 25 and younger is what they want.

After Waiters, next best option was Hardaway.

The money does suck. I agree. It's a huge risk. I hope Atlanta matches, but I like we went after a guy that is young on the upswing or upward slope of his career vs going for Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Courtney Lee, Brandon Jennings who are on the downward trend of their careers.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
i wonder how involved Dolan was on this
Ira
Member: #91
7/7/2017  10:20 AM
Ira wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Thompson's plus minus is 2.33 - 4th among shooting guards. Hardaway's is 0.82 - 15th among shooting guards.

Dion Waiter's plus minus is 0.05 - 25th among shooting guards.

lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy