[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm
Author Thread
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/7/2017  8:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  8:19 AM
One thing to note about the contract: While NY does have a history of overpaying and this seems to be another case, this is a restricted Fs young player. A reasonable contract gets easily matched. This is a poison pill. If you want TH Jr. you do this.
Knicks_Fan
AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

7/7/2017  8:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  8:13 AM
fitzfarm wrote:
blkexec wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
blkexec wrote:I did some research and didn't realize he averaged 14points last year.....only 12 in the playoffs, but sounds like he was balling. I'm also told ATL might match.

I will admit that I was a fan during college. Because a friend of mine was a michigan fan, so I started watching him. He reminded me of a young JR Smith.....High gunner, but inconsistent and lacks defense. But that was 3-4 years ago. He's now in his prime at 25 and fits the young movement.

I have always liked timmys game ! Seems to have worked hard to become a ok defender . I don't think atl matches. They are in full tank mode,why pay the money when your going for number one pick.

I will say this is a win win deal for the knicks. 1 if atl dose not match Timmy gives is a up and coming sg to match up with our core. This also gives Dotson a chance to come off the bench and relax.

2. If atl matches, oh well that contract sucks for there rebuild . Esp with Kent on there roster.

Again with the last year player option and the 15% trade kicker I don't see a team more in the hole then we our biting on that contract.

KP,oquin
Willy,kuz
?, lance
Timmy, lee
Baker frank

Marc Berman: His father Tim Hardaway Sr. told me at summer league his son harbored no “bad blood” with Knicks. The guy that traded him was gone. 3 hours ago – via Twitter NYPost_Berman

Looks like Steve Mills never wanted Hardaway traded in the first place. And looks like Hardaway went down south and discovered how to be a lead guard....On top of that, I'm hearing rumors of trading KOQ....as well as Melo.....Mills is really going full force with this youth movement. Reminds me of how GS kept their core tallent all around the same age. Helps them grow together as a team.

Yes it dose look like mills never wanted him gone, neither did I I've always liked timmys athletic ability he was a poor defender but the ability was always there. He was just a kid when we had him. I felt it was a typical ny knick move of giving up on talent before it matured.

Exciting that Oquinn is being shopped, I like Oquinn but we might score something really good for him . Again I think the ball is in our court with KOQ, we can take the best offer or keep him if we feel it isn't bettering the club. He's a good bench guy! So I would hope a pick and a capable
Role player comes our way in any deal for KOQ.

Fingers crossed we get set up for the future with melo, picks and young guys to fill the bench with good talent! For some reason I trust mills will do what's best for the knicks ! He might be our very own Danny Angie!

I said it many times that it was a mistake to trade him. And it is now a mistake to sign him for 18m per. Specially when you just let Holiday go for so little and you thought he was not worth a late round pick 3 years ago.

Mills has only been good at being a back stabbing, ass kissing, yes man exec. Main curriculum at Princeton. Fits right in with Dolan and in NY. Smfh

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Paris907
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6099
USA
7/7/2017  8:17 AM
Money is flying In the league ... as much as didn't like him previously, he's matured. Does he play D? His 14.5ppg will improve. At 25 he's prime and that's the price of rice. Ask Otto Porter or JJ reddick who got $23mm for 1 year.
HofstraBBall

7/7/2017  8:18 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

Can you please give us your type of math?

I hate to say it but I may agree with it.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/7/2017  8:19 AM
BRIGGS wrote:I can't believe the Knicks watched the playoffs and did this?
Hardaway is going to under immense pressure
To succeed which will tough. George Hill is making less -- a position of need?
We couldn't trade for a decent 2 guard?

Jerome James had a great post-season! You don't spend based on the playoffs. You're talking about just a couple of games.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/7/2017  8:20 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

or Jimmy Butler considering he makes a million less

First, I didn't say it was a good contract. Second, you really can only compare salaries when the players sign in the same off-season.

I know the Knicks just make me so irate, I just want to go back to our competitive basketball in the 90's. I just don't see anyway we will get there. The front office just doesn't get it

I'm not nearly as upset as most people over this. It's a big gamble but I understand the thinking. I'm willing to wait and see how it plays out.

I'm in this boat...Hardaway has a ton of potential....Also, other moves have to be on the horizon...

Uptown

7/7/2017  8:23 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

or Jimmy Butler considering he makes a million less

First, I didn't say it was a good contract. I understand the reasoning though and don't think it's terrible. Second, you really can only compare salaries when the players sign in the same off-season.

I think 4 years 50-60 million was right. My problem is we feel the need to overspend 3 or 4 million a year on every contract, or we throw in an extra year, Why is there a trade kicker? Why is Tim Hardaway Jr. absolutely vital to the Knicks having a chance to win? The fact is he isn't, but the Knicks paid him like he was. If we were a piece away I would get it. By why in the midst of a rebuild do we need to shackle ourselves with over inflated contracts. Now we are taking about taking on 4 year deals from Portland? Meyers sucks donkey balls at 10 million a year, thats another horrid contract. We are killing all flexibility and we won't even win 30 games. Why not just sign bums for a year or 2 and win 20 games.

Give him the right contract and Hawks match without question...You overpay for the guy you really want and hope the other team doesn't match. Bad business, perhaps but its NBA business...Lets not act like most NBA teams overpay for guys they want as a way to outbid the home team. The great Morey did the same with Lin, etc...

Uptown

7/7/2017  8:27 AM
Knicksfan wrote:One thing to note about the contract: While NY does have a history of overpaying and this seems to be another case, this is a restricted Fs young player. A reasonable contract gets easily matched. This is a poison pill. If you want TH Jr. you do this.

The NBA has a history of overpaying...

knicks1248
Member: #582
7/7/2017  8:30 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Uptown wrote:I'm n the A and watched a bunch of Hawks games and I can assure anyone that this is not the same Hardaway we saw wearing a Knicks uniform. He took over games for them last season and during the second half of the season, his confidence continued to grow. With 30+ minutes, he can average about 18pts per next year and will have some games where he puts 30 on the board. His defense has improved aswell...He is a much better player than Lee at this point and anyone who compares the two did not see Hardaway last yr.

With that said, the contract is a bit much...but instead of me flying off the deep end like most of you guys are, we need to wait and see how this pans out. None of us can see the big picture. I'm sure there's a plan in place, this was just the first move that may not look good in a vacuum but can make more sense when/if follow up moves are made. Word from the Knicks is that they want to rebuild with youth. This move does nothing to contradict that theme. Hardaway is similar in age to KP and Willy and is entering his prime years. Hardawys game and development is trending up and I'm not mad at the signing.

In order for this move to really work, however, Lee and Melo need to be moved.....

Thanks for sharing your observations. They're pretty consistent with what the numbers I posted were suggesting. I'm in the same camp as you. I'd much rather overspend on a healthy 24 year old than injured/overrated guys in their 30s (Phil's moves).

Wasn't I the first to label MIlls and idiot, I would have rather given hill this money for a yr less

I also watched a few hawks games and this contract (going fwd) will be the average for 2nd tier talent. He has the ability to be a 20-5-4 player. I knew he would be a late bloomer since watching him in college

ES
Uptown

7/7/2017  8:31 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mlby1215 wrote:Because Phil was the only guy who tried to stop Knicks being Knicks. He had many flaws, but we really needed him.

The idea is that he was not here to bring us a champion, he was here to fix the problem. I mean, at the end, I'd rather be worried what he is going to tweet than trading away picks or giving THjr 71/4 or something. Again I know I have to mention Noah. Yeah, he is bad too but at least I understand why. Centers tend to be overpaid and he was DPOY and we were bidding against other teams. But THjr? The money are drying up now so we really don't have a reason to overpay him that much IF atl only was thinking about 45mil.

Anyway, we need a lot of luck. THjr is better because he has learned his lesson. He changed because Atl was not afraid of sending him to D-league to teach him something. There is no way to happen here. We would call the management arrogant or having ego, and media would again blow this up.

We now really need to hope THjr is a changed man. He may be different now.

At the end, we should have expected it must happen. It was bound to happen. Knicks was desperate to sign someone and every better FA rejected us. THjr or someone worse, it has to happen.

CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:BLOODY HAAIL???
The idiots that wanted to fire Phil should be jumping up and and down. We are back to "37 wins now with Melo". WHOOOOOO - talk about making a splash! HEE HAAW!!

Can we please get Marbury back from China?

This is awesome @#**(@$$

------IF STEVE MILLS GETS HIT BY A BUS, I WON'T CRY

CAN'T FIX STUPID.

Firing Phil doesn't mean you hire dumb @ss. Why couldn't the Knicks just go for the scraps after the Nets search and hire that guy from the Rockets?

Phil would have spent the same money on a player who was 10 years older! This is still a bad signing - like a C. Phil's signings were closer to an F. It's progress!

I just don't get the spend at all cost mentality , especially now. This team needs to tank, we have 2 years to add players before Porzingis gets paid. If we don't have a core in place by then, the window to win closes. Thats why trading Porzingis was the right thing to do. We would of had 4 picks in 2 years could of had a collection of 6 high picks before having to pay any of them. If a few are good you sign FA's, you then use bird rights to sign your lottery picks and boom championship contender. The Knicks with Noah's and Hardaway JR's deals make it impossible to attract FA's. Now if Porzingis turns into a star, we will be frickin to capped out to offer 2 max deals and then use bird rights to sign Porzingis. The Knicks had to maintain flexibility over the next 2 years. I really can't take this crap anymore, the level of incompetence in the garden has no bounds, I am convinced I will die without ever seeing a Knicks championship.

How does signing Hardaway interrupt the tank process? He is a nice young piece to add to KP/Willy etc...

There is no reason to kill your flexibility when you have no chance to win. Having deals run into Porzingis and Willy's FA's years hurts potential cap room for star FA's. Say Porzingis becomes a 22 and 10 player , Willy 18 and 10, Porzingis becomes a FA, plenty of stars want to sign here but guess what, we have no cap room to sign them because of Noah and Hardaway Jr's deals. Once we sign Porzingis to a max deal our chance of having any cap room the next decade is shot. Players need to come that offseason or before. We basically killed Porzingis FA season with this deal.

Top FA's have avoided the Knicks like the plague for decades and now all of sudden you think they will line up to come here because of Willy? They didn't want to come here when we had Ewing...Our best shot at a star payer is through the draft and signing Hardaway does not hurt our prospects of landing a top 5 pick next yr....

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/7/2017  8:35 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:

Jerome James had a great post-season! You don't spend based on the playoffs. You're talking about just a couple of games.

Bonn the playoffs with Washington went 7 games

thj started only 30 reg season games-- it gives you a sense of what he can do on a bigger stage
He's not even a good 3 point shooter. He was able to capitalize on some easy baskets in a system that featured hardawy as the 4-5 option. When you have to rely on a jumpshot-- does tim hard away come to mind? What's his lifetime 3 pt%?

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
7/7/2017  8:35 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Uptown wrote:I'm n the A and watched a bunch of Hawks games and I can assure anyone that this is not the same Hardaway we saw wearing a Knicks uniform. He took over games for them last season and during the second half of the season, his confidence continued to grow. With 30+ minutes, he can average about 18pts per next year and will have some games where he puts 30 on the board. His defense has improved aswell...He is a much better player than Lee at this point and anyone who compares the two did not see Hardaway last yr.

With that said, the contract is a bit much...but instead of me flying off the deep end like most of you guys are, we need to wait and see how this pans out. None of us can see the big picture. I'm sure there's a plan in place, this was just the first move that may not look good in a vacuum but can make more sense when/if follow up moves are made. Word from the Knicks is that they want to rebuild with youth. This move does nothing to contradict that theme. Hardaway is similar in age to KP and Willy and is entering his prime years. Hardawys game and development is trending up and I'm not mad at the signing.

In order for this move to really work, however, Lee and Melo need to be moved.....

Thanks for sharing your observations. They're pretty consistent with what the numbers I posted were suggesting. I'm in the same camp as you. I'd much rather overspend on a healthy 24 year old than injured/overrated guys in their 30s (Phil's moves).

Wasn't I the first to label MIlls and idiot, I would have rather given hill this money for a yr less

I also watched a few hawks games and this contract (going fwd) will be the average for 2nd tier talent. He has the ability to be a 20-5-4 player. I knew he would be a late bloomer since watching him in college

I like Hill but he doesn't fit our timeline and we don't even know that he wanted to come here anyway.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/7/2017  8:38 AM
yea... his +/- are pretty fantastic also.

http://www.82games.com/1617/16ATL6.HTM

Almost every number both offensive and defensive improved with THjr on the floor for the Hawks.

I am moving my WTF to a wait and see. This was a player who's impact to the team shows in the numbers, on both sides. We have Lee here... lets see what happens.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/7/2017  8:39 AM
THJ is 25 on an upward trajectory and thus fits the KP Timeline. People are overdoing the negativity a bit. This is not a make or break move.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/7/2017  8:39 AM
No doubt it's an overpay, which is necessary for a RFA. But adding a young player to build with moving forward is the right approach. We are betting that he's the long term SG and fits nicely with a core of porzingis, willy, and future backcourt partner ntilikina. He could be a great blend with his outside shooting and overall offense.
Bonn1997
USA
7/7/2017  8:42 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

thj started only 30 reg season games-- it gives you a sense of what he can do on a bigger stage
He's not even a good 3 point shooter. He was able to capitalize on some easy baskets in a system that featured hardawy as the 4-5 option. When you have to rely on a jumpshot-- does tim hard away come to mind? What's his lifetime 3 pt%?

6 games 4 of which were bad. You can't judge a guy on 4 games. That's a terrible philosophy.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/7/2017  8:45 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

6 games 4 of which were bad. You can't judge a guy on 4 games. That's a terrible philosophy.
for Briggs 4 games is a sample size. Usually a good qtr of NCAA ball will spawn at least 25 "we must draft this player" threads.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Gudris
Member: #6213

7/7/2017  8:46 AM
When fans and media all the time sings a song how ****ty franchise this is, You cant expect better than this
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/7/2017  8:49 AM
Fwiw thj playing sf gives us more flexibility to play melo less, if he's still with team

Last year we only had kuz or c.lee playing slightly out of position as a 3

Also let's us more easily play melo at4 and KP at 5 and c.lee at 2.

Still shocked by the number but hey lead-foot olynk got 12 mill

And still think/hope there will be other moves hopefully involving moving melo

(5)(5)
HofstraBBall

7/7/2017  8:50 AM
Lmao. The madness!!

Same people who thought it was okay for Phil to dump Thjr for Grant. Can someone please come up with a few billion to buy this fat bastard Dolan out.

lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy