[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/7/2017  6:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  7:04 AM
mlby1215 wrote:Because Phil was the only guy who tried to stop Knicks being Knicks. He had many flaws, but we really needed him.

The idea is that he was not here to bring us a champion, he was here to fix the problem. I mean, at the end, I'd rather be worried what he is going to tweet than trading away picks or giving THjr 71/4 or something. Again I know I have to mention Noah. Yeah, he is bad too but at least I understand why. Centers tend to be overpaid and he was DPOY and we were bidding against other teams. But THjr? The money are drying up now so we really don't have a reason to overpay him that much IF atl only was thinking about 45mil.

Anyway, we need a lot of luck. THjr is better because he has learned his lesson. He changed because Atl was not afraid of sending him to D-league to teach him something. There is no way to happen here. We would call the management arrogant or having ego, and media would again blow this up.

We now really need to hope THjr is a changed man. He may be different now.

At the end, we should have expected it must happen. It was bound to happen. Knicks was desperate to sign someone and every better FA rejected us. THjr or someone worse, it has to happen.

CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:BLOODY HAAIL???
The idiots that wanted to fire Phil should be jumping up and and down. We are back to "37 wins now with Melo". WHOOOOOO - talk about making a splash! HEE HAAW!!

Can we please get Marbury back from China?

This is awesome @#**(@$$

------IF STEVE MILLS GETS HIT BY A BUS, I WON'T CRY

CAN'T FIX STUPID.

Firing Phil doesn't mean you hire dumb @ss. Why couldn't the Knicks just go for the scraps after the Nets search and hire that guy from the Rockets?

Phil would have spent the same money on a player who was 10 years older! This is still a bad signing - like a C. Phil's signings were closer to an F. It's progress!
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
USA
7/7/2017  7:09 AM
I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

7/7/2017  7:15 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/7/2017  7:22 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
mlby1215 wrote:Because Phil was the only guy who tried to stop Knicks being Knicks. He had many flaws, but we really needed him.

The idea is that he was not here to bring us a champion, he was here to fix the problem. I mean, at the end, I'd rather be worried what he is going to tweet than trading away picks or giving THjr 71/4 or something. Again I know I have to mention Noah. Yeah, he is bad too but at least I understand why. Centers tend to be overpaid and he was DPOY and we were bidding against other teams. But THjr? The money are drying up now so we really don't have a reason to overpay him that much IF atl only was thinking about 45mil.

Anyway, we need a lot of luck. THjr is better because he has learned his lesson. He changed because Atl was not afraid of sending him to D-league to teach him something. There is no way to happen here. We would call the management arrogant or having ego, and media would again blow this up.

At the end, we should have expected it must happen. It was bound to happen. Knicks was desperate to sign someone and every better FA rejected us. THjr or someone worse, it has to happen.

CrushAlot wrote:
The idiots that wanted to fire Phil should be jumping up and and down. We are back to "37 wins now with Melo". WHOOOOOO - talk about making a splash! HEE HAAW!!

This is awesome @#**(@$$

CAN'T FIX STUPID.

Firing Phil doesn't mean you hire dumb @ss. Why couldn't the Knicks just go for the scraps after the Nets search and hire that guy from the Rockets?

Phil would have spent the same money on a player who was 10 years older! This is still a bad signing - like a C. Phil's signings were closer to an F. It's progress!

I just don't get the spend at all cost mentality , especially now. This team needs to tank, we have 2 years to add players before Porzingis gets paid. If we don't have a core in place by then, the window to win closes. Thats why trading Porzingis was the right thing to do. We would of had 4 picks in 2 years could of had a collection of 6 high picks before having to pay any of them. If a few are good you sign FA's, you then use bird rights to sign your lottery picks and boom championship contender. The Knicks with Noah's and Hardaway JR's deals make it impossible to attract FA's. Now if Porzingis turns into a star, we will be frickin to capped out to offer 2 max deals and then use bird rights to sign Porzingis. The Knicks had to maintain flexibility over the next 2 years. I really can't take this crap anymore, the level of incompetence in the garden has no bounds, I am convinced I will die without ever seeing a Knicks championship.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq

7/7/2017  7:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  7:25 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

or Jimmy Butler considering Hardaway Jr makes a million less

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Bonn1997
USA
7/7/2017  7:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  7:26 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

or Jimmy Butler considering he makes a million less

First, I didn't say it was a good contract. I understand the reasoning though and don't think it's terrible. Second, you really can only compare salaries when the players sign in the same off-season.
Jmpasq

7/7/2017  7:27 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

First, I didn't say it was a good contract. Second, you really can only compare salaries when the players sign in the same off-season.

I know the Knicks just make me so irate, I just want to go back to our competitive basketball in the 90's. I just don't see anyway we will get there. The front office just doesn't get it

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/7/2017  7:27 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

CrushAlot wrote:

This is awesome @#**(@$$

CAN'T FIX STUPID.

I just don't get the spend at all cost mentality , especially now. This team needs to tank, we have 2 years to add players before Porzingis gets paid. If we don't have a core in place by then, the window to win closes. Thats why trading Porzingis was the right thing to do. We would of had 4 picks in 2 years could of had a collection of 6 high picks before having to pay any of them. If a few are good you sign FA's, you then use bird rights to sign your lottery picks and boom championship contender. The Knicks with Noah's and Hardaway JR's deals make it impossible to attract FA's. Now if Porzingis turns into a star, we will be frickin to capped out to offer 2 max deals and then use bird rights to sign Porzingis. The Knicks had to maintain flexibility over the next 2 years. I really can't take this crap anymore, the level of incompetence in the garden has no bounds, I am convinced I will die without ever seeing a Knicks championship.

How does signing Hardaway interrupt the tank process? He is a nice young piece to add to KP/Willy etc...

Bonn1997
USA
7/7/2017  7:29 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

First, I didn't say it was a good contract. Second, you really can only compare salaries when the players sign in the same off-season.

I know the Knicks just make me so irate, I just want to go back to our competitive basketball in the 90's. I just don't see anyway we will get there. The front office just doesn't get it

I'm not nearly as upset as most people over this. It's a big gamble but I understand the thinking. I'm willing to wait and see how it plays out.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/7/2017  7:31 AM
First reaction: This is it for me as a Knicks fan.

After reading all the details: Yep, same old Knicks. Still quitting.

After reading your reactions: Yeah, lets quit together.

After reading Hawks fans reactions: Not even they want him at that price.

After thinking more about it: They overpaid because he is a restricted FA. Some say he has improved and is close to his prime, but is his prime of a top guy SG for years to come? A possible future star who will make his contract look like a bargain? Has his defense improved?

I haven't followed his career after NY, so I wouldn't know. If it was a sure thing he would become that, Atlanta would match. Maybe they do and we are left wondering if we were wrong with our hatred for the offer. But since we traded him away and now we bring him back on such an overpay and he still hasn't established his improvements, this feels wrong and a typical Knicks move, only that the guy is young.

At best, this is a gamble. A huge gamble that coming from our pessimism, feels headed for a disaster. But it does have a possible good outcome of Hardaway is really ready for primetime...

Knicks_Fan
Jmpasq

7/7/2017  7:33 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

First, I didn't say it was a good contract. I understand the reasoning though and don't think it's terrible. Second, you really can only compare salaries when the players sign in the same off-season.

I think 4 years 50-60 million was right. My problem is we feel the need to overspend 3 or 4 million a year on every contract, or we throw in an extra year, Why is there a trade kicker? Why is Tim Hardaway Jr. absolutely vital to the Knicks having a chance to win? The fact is he isn't, but the Knicks paid him like he was. If we were a piece away I would get it. By why in the midst of a rebuild do we need to shackle ourselves with over inflated contracts. Now we are taking about taking on 4 year deals from Portland? Meyers sucks donkey balls at 10 million a year, thats another horrid contract. We are killing all flexibility and we won't even win 30 games. Why not just sign bums for a year or 2 and win 20 games.
SkyWalker
Member: #814
7/7/2017  7:38 AM
Can Hardaway start at SF? He looks much stronger than when he was on the Knicks. Maybe the knicks see lineups of frank,dotson,hardaway,wily and kp.
Kenny SkyWalker
Jmpasq

7/7/2017  7:41 AM
Uptown wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

CrushAlot wrote:

This is awesome @#**(@$$

CAN'T FIX STUPID.

How does signing Hardaway interrupt the tank process? He is a nice young piece to add to KP/Willy etc...

There is no reason to kill your flexibility when you have no chance to win. Having deals run into Porzingis and Willy's FA's years hurts potential cap room for star FA's. Say Porzingis becomes a 22 and 10 player , Willy 18 and 10, Porzingis becomes a FA, plenty of stars want to sign here but guess what, we have no cap room to sign them because of Noah and Hardaway Jr's deals. Once we sign Porzingis to a max deal our chance of having any cap room the next decade is shot. Players need to come that offseason or before. We basically killed Porzingis FA season with this deal.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/7/2017  7:42 AM
I'm n the A and watched a bunch of Hawks games and I can assure anyone that this is not the same Hardaway we saw wearing a Knicks uniform. He took over games for them last season and during the second half of the season, his confidence continued to grow. With 30+ minutes, he can average about 18pts per next year and will have some games where he puts 30 on the board. His defense has improved aswell...He is a much better player than Lee at this point and anyone who compares the two did not see Hardaway last yr.

With that said, the contract is a bit much...but instead of me flying off the deep end like most of you guys are, we need to wait and see how this pans out. None of us can see the big picture. I'm sure there's a plan in place, this was just the first move that may not look good in a vacuum but can make more sense when/if follow up moves are made. Word from the Knicks is that they want to rebuild with youth. This move does nothing to contradict that theme. Hardaway is similar in age to KP and Willy and is entering his prime years. Hardawys game and development is trending up and I'm not mad at the signing.

In order for this move to really work, however, Lee and Melo need to be moved.....

Bonn1997
USA
7/7/2017  7:43 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

I think 4 years 50-60 million was right. My problem is we feel the need to overspend 3 or 4 million a year on every contract, or we throw in an extra year, Why is there a trade kicker? Why is Tim Hardaway Jr. absolutely vital to the Knicks having a chance to win? The fact is he isn't, but the Knicks paid him like he was. If we were a piece away I would get it. By why in the midst of a rebuild do we need to shackle ourselves with over inflated contracts. Now we are taking about taking on 4 year deals from Portland? Meyers sucks donkey balls at 10 million a year, thats another horrid contract. We are killing all flexibility and we won't even win 30 games. Why not just sign bums for a year or 2 and win 20 games.

I think they want to win as many games as they can now, not just long-term, in hopes that they can attract more FAs. I also think the plan is to just sign FAs with upside who fit in the team's time-frame and to use draft picks to get guys on bargain contracts.
Bonn1997
USA
7/7/2017  7:47 AM
Uptown wrote:I'm n the A and watched a bunch of Hawks games and I can assure anyone that this is not the same Hardaway we saw wearing a Knicks uniform. He took over games for them last season and during the second half of the season, his confidence continued to grow. With 30+ minutes, he can average about 18pts per next year and will have some games where he puts 30 on the board. His defense has improved aswell...He is a much better player than Lee at this point and anyone who compares the two did not see Hardaway last yr.

With that said, the contract is a bit much...but instead of me flying off the deep end like most of you guys are, we need to wait and see how this pans out. None of us can see the big picture. I'm sure there's a plan in place, this was just the first move that may not look good in a vacuum but can make more sense when/if follow up moves are made. Word from the Knicks is that they want to rebuild with youth. This move does nothing to contradict that theme. Hardaway is similar in age to KP and Willy and is entering his prime years. Hardawys game and development is trending up and I'm not mad at the signing.

In order for this move to really work, however, Lee and Melo need to be moved.....

Thanks for sharing your observations. They're pretty consistent with what the numbers I posted were suggesting. I'm in the same camp as you. I'd much rather overspend on a healthy 24 year old than injured/overrated guys in their 30s (Phil's moves).
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/7/2017  7:52 AM
I can't believe the Knicks watched the playoffs and did this?
Hardaway is going to under immense pressure
To succeed which will tough. George Hill is making less -- a position of need?
We couldn't trade for a decent 2 guard?
RIP Crushalot😞
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/7/2017  8:05 AM
So much for standing still until we get gm/prez stabilized

This is either a genius move that only true basketball minds get or another in a long line of mistakes

Personally I think the team has demonstrated better judgment in drafting than in trades and FAs. And for that reason would have preferred they use space to absorb some bad contracts to get more picks

I know expect we sign someone like Simmons or trade for smart

(5)(5)
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/7/2017  8:06 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

CrushAlot wrote:

This is awesome @#**(@$$

CAN'T FIX STUPID.

There is no reason to kill your flexibility when you have no chance to win. Having deals run into Porzingis and Willy's FA's years hurts potential cap room for star FA's. Say Porzingis becomes a 22 and 10 player , Willy 18 and 10, Porzingis becomes a FA, plenty of stars want to sign here but guess what, we have no cap room to sign them because of Noah and Hardaway Jr's deals. Once we sign Porzingis to a max deal our chance of having any cap room the next decade is shot. Players need to come that offseason or before. We basically killed Porzingis FA season with this deal.

I agree 1000%.

If we didn't have Noah, and we stood a chance of being able to move him, maybe this deal makes sense.

My hope going in to this season was Noah would be health, play wonderfully and we'd stand a chance of moving him.

Why shoot our load this year, when we need to be thinking 3-5 years down the line, and this move isn't that. Not at the $ and years and trade kicker and everything else.

I'm getting ready to cut the cord, and I was thinking about the one thing that I watch on TV is sports- but no need for MSG at this point...

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/7/2017  8:09 AM
As a comp Miami just signed olynk for 12/year. Which I think is 11 too much

But he plays dirty and Riley likes that

(5)(5)
lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy