[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm
Author Thread
nykshaknbake
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #492
7/7/2017  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  1:45 PM
Andrew wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:Even if thj 2 month run wasn't a fluke, we still have a gaping hole at pg, which in not even sure we have enough cash to throw even at rindo now. Better than the Noah signing but still puzzling given Dotsobs strong performance and Courtney Lee's good play last year.

We only have a gaping hole at PG id you want to contend for a spot in the playoffs. Otherwise you have Ron Baker and the guy you just drafted at 8. We do need a vet PG to mentor, but that would be a nice to have at the moment. Not a priority right now.

What I worry about is if we don't have a ball distributor and playmaker, It'll be hard for kp and now thj and melo to really be anything but chuckers. Kp then either walks or we overpay him in the hope that he is more multifaceted than he shows. Frank will not be ready to start. PG should have been priority 1a and b in establishing a winning culture for the future.

AUTOADVERT
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/7/2017  1:55 PM
Caseloads wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I think i died a little

I'm hearing the contact also has a no trade clause

Bahaha! I sprayed my coffee all over my screen!

Sinix
Member: #7495

7/7/2017  1:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  1:57 PM
fishmike wrote:
Sinix wrote:This reminds of when the Knicks got Eddy Curry as well. Look at that over 50% FG%!!!!!!!!!! He must be a good productive young player with a high %!!!!

Oops, he's a black hole, doesn't rebound and really not half as good as offense as his #'s might look.

There's your Tim Hardaway. People making the same excuses for God knows what reason.

Curry cost like 3 draft picks and we traded other players to get him. So this is nothing like the Curry trade. NOTHING. You are just spouting at every chance and not saying much

Curry was also more talented that THjr will ever be. The similarities are that:

Both young
Both scorers
Both don't do much else
We're overpaying for both when we don't have the roster or leadership to cover their weaknesses

Typically when you have these guys with holes in their game, you have leadership in and out of the line up that help them work on or mask them.

When you have Knicks level leadership they never get worked on. THjr's weak points will become more glaring and worse.

Why should it be any different?

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/7/2017  1:57 PM
nixluva wrote:Don't mind the THJ signing. People are overreacting a bit. Knicks are still getting younger but still adding players with some maturity. THJ is ready to roll and hitting the start of his prime. MEH! Not that bad if the Melo Trade and CLee trades are happening.

I think I will bookmark this post.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/7/2017  2:11 PM
My only real issue with the signing is that I feel its a year to 2 to early for this type of signing. We should have been using our cap space to asset collect over the next 2 years. If we pilled up 3-4 future fist round draft picks by eating ugly contracts with 1-2 years left on them. Then we could have went into 2019 with nice collection of picks and cap space. To go with Frank, KP, Willy, Dotson. And another 2 lottery picks. Then we could trade one of those 1 lotto picks and the other future picks for a star. Still have cap space to sign some other players. Moves that could build a championship contender.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/7/2017  2:12 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:I'm pretty sure that being traded, then even being sent to the D League, made THj transform into a different player.
That is not what happened in NY.
We were right for trading the guy, we made the wrong choice with who we took (Grant) but we made the right call.

I don't know about this contract though. Seems too rich.
Much would prefer the type of contracts Mo Harkless, Leonard and 25 and under players have like that.

Hardaway may just lose that edge and motivation once he gets this money.
Thought the guy always had scoring ability which he has now proven. Defense seems better.
Will it be consistent? Will the same passion and pride be there now that he's being paid like a star?
Will his head get too big in NY, if Melo is traded, and now he's the best scoring wing on the team?

I don't know about this contract, but the type of player THj is, he is the right target. 25 and under. Athletic prime years ahead. Potential for two way. Fits into a Hornachek style offense. Just don't know if the contract is going to be worth it and if he keeps the same passion and dedication once being paid like this. I hope Atlanta matches.

Imo...the only way you give up on a first round draft pick in his 2nd year is if there are some huge red flags. There was nothing glaring about his last year here that raised major concerns. He was a very good contributor off the bench.

Phil was determined to prove that old man triangle basketball was the only way to go. And Tim dis not fit that mold. Same reason we don't have a better, younger, cheaper version of Tim, with a higher ceiling, in Dennis Smith Jr

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

7/7/2017  2:21 PM
smackeddog wrote:You're flattering the Knicks by presuming there is some sort of strategy behind their moves!

Get younger, play system ball, emphasize defense, keep future assets. Sounds like a good strategy to me.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
Sinix

7/7/2017  2:27 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:
smackeddog wrote:You're flattering the Knicks by presuming there is some sort of strategy behind their moves!

Get younger, play system ball, emphasize defense, keep future assets. Sounds like a good strategy to me.

2/5 of your starters are THjr and Melo. Those are going to be the leaders of the team. Are you really expecting decent shot selection, team ball movement and an emphasis on defense?

Don't get your hopes up....

stanleybostitch

7/7/2017  2:27 PM
Sinix wrote:

We're talking EDDIE Curry here, not Steph. THjr has more talent in his pinkie than Eddie Curry ever had.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/7/2017  2:30 PM
Sinix wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Sinix wrote:This reminds of when the Knicks got Eddy Curry as well. Look at that over 50% FG%!!!!!!!!!! He must be a good productive young player with a high %!!!!

Oops, he's a black hole, doesn't rebound and really not half as good as offense as his #'s might look.

There's your Tim Hardaway. People making the same excuses for God knows what reason.

Curry cost like 3 draft picks and we traded other players to get him. So this is nothing like the Curry trade. NOTHING. You are just spouting at every chance and not saying much

Both young
Both scorers
Both don't do much else
We're overpaying for both when we don't have the roster or leadership to cover their weaknesses

Typically when you have these guys with holes in their game, you have leadership in and out of the line up that help them work on or mask them.

When you have Knicks level leadership they never get worked on. THjr's weak points will become more glaring and worse.

Why should it be any different?

the problem is you lack any evidence to back up your points. I have provided several stats that show THjr does indeed to more and does indeed to do the little things that translate into winning.

You just keep saying the same thing with no evidence or backing. Its just your stinky opinion over and over again. You are wrong on most every point you try to make. That is a fact.

But yea... Keep talking about how talented Eddy Curry was. Thats helping you.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
stanleybostitch

7/7/2017  2:31 PM
Sinix wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:

2/5 of your starters are THjr and Melo. Those are going to be the leaders of the team. Are you really expecting decent shot selection, team ball movement and an emphasis on defense?

THjr showed significant growth as a defensive player, as others have pointed out and argued with stats. Melo may not be here. And we invested in a pass-first PG with #8 pick. So yes, we are getting younger, moving towards system ball, emphasizing defense, and have all our future assets (and may have more once the offseason concludes).

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/7/2017  2:37 PM
From everything I'm reading via atl media is that, Timmy is a knick that it is unlikely they will match the offer .
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

7/7/2017  3:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  3:25 PM
Atlanta won't match only because of Brazemore. If they can get someone to take on Brazemore, they would do this contract.
I mean of the two, right now they want to start and prefer THj.
If you go back a year ago, Brazemore's value was high.

The Knicks may not be as stupid as we think.
Phil Jackson, Mills, Gaines, Horny all have said their focus this summer would be on getting younger, trading Melo (well not all said that), adding guards and wings that can do BOTH defense and offense schemes.

I think Hardaway fits. If we signed this guy for 12$M we would all be happy. Or most would. The fact that we had to overpay, well the reason is quite obvious. We didn't have many other choices, we had to overpay to get Atlanta to think twice about matching.

Even now, I'm pretty sure Atlanta is thinking of dealing Brazemore so they can match this deal. They much prefer the shot creating and making ability of THj than Kent. They regret that Kent deal bad. They can't keep both Kent and THj at this kind of money. I think the Knicks have made a smart calculation here. They knew that Atlanta would struggle to match this offer. Lets say if we offered 60. Atlanta would match without hesitation. Even if it's 10M more than what Atlanta wants to pay. At this kind of deal, it's the only way Atlanta thinks twice about matching.

I'm just worried about Hardaway's head. He may get a huge ego if he does well in NY. A 15 points a night scorer in NY with Melo gone will be treated quite well. I don't want him coming in with that I got to prove I'm a star attitude. He needs to play the same way he did in Atlanta that made him go from a D League guy to a top 15 shooting guard last season.

Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
7/7/2017  3:24 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Even now, I'm pretty sure Atlanta is thinking of dealing Brazemore so they can match this deal. They much prefer the shot creating and making ability of THj than Kent.

Lost in the $$ numbers is the fact that THJ fills a need for the Knicks that you just mentioned....shot creating.

Still think Melo is going to be moved and that creates a nice spot for him to fill.

PURE KNICKS LOVE
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/7/2017  3:27 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:95% of Knicks fans thinks the deal was dumb 100% of Atlanta fans agree.

Dion Waiters got 50mm and Hardaway 71

No way to chew it--my bet is fans will have a quick buyers remorse and well be discussing how to get rid of Hardaways contract in 2 years.

Mills overpaid so Atlanta would not match.
He did it after Waiters rejected his offer.
They want a starting level 2 guard that can give 15 points a night to pair with Ntilikina in the backcourt longterm. 25 and younger is what they want.

After Waiters, next best option was Hardaway.

The money does suck. I agree. It's a huge risk. I hope Atlanta matches, but I like we went after a guy that is young on the upswing or upward slope of his career vs going for Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Courtney Lee, Brandon Jennings who are on the downward trend of their careers.

Same question I asked others, what was the burning need to do it this offseason? Will this add a few more wins? Will that help our hurt our chances in getting a better pick next year? Why is it that the Knicks always overpay for the table scraps after striking out on the players they really want? We wanted LeBron and ended up with Amare and MElo. This is the type of thinking that cost us 7 years of mediocrity.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
SocraticBallin22
Member: #6096

7/7/2017  3:27 PM
The point to bear in mind is that being a RFA on a team where they want to keep the player...you HAVE to OVERPAY to get the player. If the Knicks offered THJ his fair market value, around 11-12 million per year, Atlanta would have easily matched. They WANT TO KEEP HIM. So that's why you pay the extra 20 mill to turn them off and net the player. That's how it works.

Now...again, if he averages 18-20ppg on 45% shooting next year as our starting pg, no one will be talking about his contract. He had a breakout campaign last year and is trending up entering his prime years as a player. Mills is gambling that the upward trend continues or he at least sustains his production late last year. If that is the case, it's a win for the Knicks.

If he regresses back to the old THJ we know, it becomes an albatross of a contract everyone is talking about.

Time will tell.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

7/7/2017  3:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  3:33 PM
Andrew wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Even now, I'm pretty sure Atlanta is thinking of dealing Brazemore so they can match this deal. They much prefer the shot creating and making ability of THj than Kent.

Lost in the $$ numbers is the fact that THJ fills a need for the Knicks that you just mentioned....shot creating.

Still think Melo is going to be moved and that creates a nice spot for him to fill.

That's exactly it.
They went after shot creators at 2, because they have at point guard two players in Baker and Nti who will pass the ball and not always be good/great at creating off the dribble or a shot.

THj or Waiters would have given the Knicks a 15 points a night scoring threat, something important with Melo on his way out.

Like I said a few times, Phil Jackson made this clear about this summer. He, Gaines, Mills all were looking for athletic wings and guards who could defend.

Ntilikina - Guard that is an above average athlete who can defend
Dotson - Wing. NBA level athlete who can shoot the 3, defend.
Hardaway Jr - Wing. Starting level 2 guard who can create his own shot, shoot the ball and get into some explosive scoring stretches

Without even trading Melo yet, the Knicks suddenly would have 3 athletic players like Ntili, Dotson and THj to put around KP/Willy. Not bad in my opinion. With Hardaway's abilty to create off the dribble and break down a defense, the pressure is less on Framk to create. Frank just has to bring the ball up, make the right pass and spot up for 3 or look to get a open look in the offense. Dotson could even get minutes as he's a capable 3nD and fill the wings fast guy.

Hernangomez 22
Porzingis 21
Dotson 23
Hardaway 24
Ntilikina 18

Young at all 5 positions, athletic at 4 out of 5 positions. 4 out of 5 positions can spread the floor. It's not a bad lineup for a rebuild team that wants to run, gun and hustle back on D.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/7/2017  3:30 PM
Ira wrote:
Ira wrote:
Ira wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

Thompson's plus minus is 2.33 - 4th among shooting guards. Hardaway's is 0.82 - 15th among shooting guards.

Dion Waiter's plus minus is 0.05 - 25th among shooting guards.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/2

Thanks for posting this - I am still at the WTF reaction level with this trade, and see no reason to move to wait and see.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Sinix

7/7/2017  3:30 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:
Sinix wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:

THjr showed significant growth as a defensive player, as others have pointed out and argued with stats. Melo may not be here. And we invested in a pass-first PG with #8 pick. So yes, we are getting younger, moving towards system ball, emphasizing defense, and have all our future assets (and may have more once the offseason concludes).

I doubt Melo is going. Melo loved THjr and was pissed when he was traded away. This move appeases Melo just like firing Phil did as well.

There's no system ball with these guys. Melo and THjr play iso ball. They don't emphasize passing or rebounding. Sad to say but KP was starting to develop an iso ball mentality too.

You might think we have a young core that's about to grow together. I see a poisoned well that isn't going to work out because the culture and leadership is a negative with the Knicks.

Who is leading the ball movement? Frank Nilitinka or however you spell his name at 18 years old? Is 18 year old Frank going to tell Melo or TH or KP not to hold the ball? Melo will get him traded if that happens.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
7/7/2017  3:31 PM
the fact they put a trade kicker in there is so insane... scary how dumb they are.
lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy