[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/7/2017  12:27 PM
Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports / Action Images

The New York Knicks, in typical New York Knicks fashion, appear to have bid against themselves in the Tim Hardaway Jr. sweepstakes.

The Knicks lavished the 25-year-old restricted free agent - whom they drafted 24th overall in 2013 - with a four-year, $71-million offer sheet. The Atlanta Hawks now have the right to match it, but almost certainly will not.

The Hawks were prepared to offer Hardaway a four-year deal in the range of $48 million, sources told ESPN's Zach Lowe. Even at the risk of losing him for nothing, it's tough to envision Atlanta ponying up an additional $23 million.

The Knicks traded Hardaway to the Hawks on draft night in 2015, in exchange for the pick that became point guard Jerian Grant. Last summer, they traded Grant as part of a package for Derrick Rose. Now, with Rose coming off the books, they're attempting to use their newfound cap space to bring back Hardaway on an above-market deal.

In Knicks land, time really is a flat circle.

WTF

ES
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
7/7/2017  12:30 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Andrew wrote:
JabStepDagger7 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:35% of our cap is Noah and THJ.

BRIGGS statements is just silly. Why not just post THJ % of cap....why include Noah?

THJ....16% of cap.

Those are our 2 last big contracts given in free agency. If you want to add Lee that nearly half the cap on Lee THJ and Noah--think about it. Id rather give Holiday 4mm or last year Seth Curry 3-4mm--why do we always pay so much??? Then the players sck and we have trouble moving them. There is no change here.

Briggs and TH JR together make 16% of the cap. And Briggs can't even play. WTF were they thinking?

I've said this before....NY doesn't tank.....Can't tank....Wont tank. The only way the knicks get a high draft pick is by sucking real bad or trading for a 1st rounder and get lucky like Boston.

Otherwise, the show must go on. Dolan doesn't get paid for tanking, he gets paid for entertainment. And THj will bring some entertainment.....Now we just need Jamal Crawford to add some highlight flare, and the broadway show will be back on the road. Unless Melo sees Houston or Cleveland beating GS, I don't think he leaves or we trade him. Dolan needs Melo and KP to sell tickets. The show must go on!

Has anybody written a book on the life of a knick fan? Might be a best seller. Have Dolan provide the funds to promote it.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/7/2017  12:34 PM
Uptown wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I just looked at the defensive tracking data. Amazingly, TH JR held his man to just 40.7% shooting. Maybe he's a lot better on defense than his reputation? I see his on/off plus minus was +9.5 which is outstanding.

What's Klay Thompson's plus minus? Now that THJR is going to make more money than Klay it should be a good yardstick of measurement.

or Jimmy Butler considering he makes a million less

First, I didn't say it was a good contract. I understand the reasoning though and don't think it's terrible. Second, you really can only compare salaries when the players sign in the same off-season.

I think 4 years 50-60 million was right. My problem is we feel the need to overspend 3 or 4 million a year on every contract, or we throw in an extra year, Why is there a trade kicker? Why is Tim Hardaway Jr. absolutely vital to the Knicks having a chance to win? The fact is he isn't, but the Knicks paid him like he was. If we were a piece away I would get it. By why in the midst of a rebuild do we need to shackle ourselves with over inflated contracts. Now we are taking about taking on 4 year deals from Portland? Meyers sucks donkey balls at 10 million a year, thats another horrid contract. We are killing all flexibility and we won't even win 30 games. Why not just sign bums for a year or 2 and win 20 games.

Give him the right contract and Hawks match without question...You overpay for the guy you really want and hope the other team doesn't match. Bad business, perhaps but its NBA business...Lets not act like most NBA teams overpay for guys they want as a way to outbid the home team. The great Morey did the same with Lin, etc...

First off you don't "really want" someone so you can get marginal improvement especially when you need to "hope" about what another team will do. Try and answer the question what burning need we had that this overspending helped us meet.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/7/2017  12:34 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

The New York Knicks, in typical New York Knicks fashion, appear to have bid against themselves in the Tim Hardaway Jr. sweepstakes.

The Knicks lavished the 25-year-old restricted free agent - whom they drafted 24th overall in 2013 - with a four-year, $71-million offer sheet. The Atlanta Hawks now have the right to match it, but almost certainly will not.

The Hawks were prepared to offer Hardaway a four-year deal in the range of $48 million, sources told ESPN's Zach Lowe. Even at the risk of losing him for nothing, it's tough to envision Atlanta ponying up an additional $23 million.

The Knicks traded Hardaway to the Hawks on draft night in 2015, in exchange for the pick that became point guard Jerian Grant. Last summer, they traded Grant as part of a package for Derrick Rose. Now, with Rose coming off the books, they're attempting to use their newfound cap space to bring back Hardaway on an above-market deal.

WTF

Yes!!! Sounds good to me ! Timmy was one of the best 2 guards in the second half of the season. This kid has really turned the corner. He also gets to play with a talent like KP making the game even easier for him. I think in a year from now everyone will be talking about what a player thjr is .

Sinix
Member: #7495

7/7/2017  12:35 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

WTF

Yes!!! Sounds good to me ! Timmy was one of the best 2 guards in the second half of the season. This kid has really turned the corner. He also gets to play with a talent like KP making the game even easier for him. I think in a year from now everyone will be talking about what a player thjr is .

Fan boy alert.

For however much you like thjr how can you justify the Knicks outbidding themselves in this nonsensical situation?

knicks1248
7/7/2017  12:39 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

WTF

I agree, honesty, I can go all the way back to his finally yr in college, I posted a poll about who would you want CURRY or THJ...the only thing I didn't like about THJ, was his JR SMITH like streaks. this goes all the way back to Michigan.....hot and cold in a heart beat

ES
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/7/2017  12:40 PM
Sinix wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

WTF

Fan boy alert.

For however much you like thjr how can you justify the Knicks outbidding themselves in this nonsensical situation?

I don't think we are over paying that much for Timmy. The guy was the best player on the floor for atl and stole minutes from bazmore who makes 16-17 mil a year .

Swishfm3
Member: #392
7/7/2017  12:41 PM
Forget about the money

This is a good upgrade at the 2 guard position and I have to believe that a deal for Lee is in the works. Makes no sense having TWO SG on the roster making, roughly, 30 mil total.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/7/2017  12:42 PM
Sinix wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

WTF

Fan boy alert.

It's not my money. He doesn't suck. We liked him enough to draft him, now we are bringing him back. It really isn't the end of the world. Knicks aren't going to attract FA's to spend cap on until they build up the core. Looks to me like there is a plan - add good young players that compliment the coaches style of play. Screw the dollars, no-one better was walking through that door.

Sinix
Member: #7495

7/7/2017  12:45 PM
This reminds of when the Knicks got Eddy Curry as well. Look at that over 50% FG%!!!!!!!!!! He must be a good productive young player with a high %!!!!

Oops, he's a black hole, doesn't rebound and really not half as good as offense as his #'s might look.

There's your Tim Hardaway. People making the same excuses for God knows what reason.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/7/2017  12:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

WTF

what is your issue? Do you know how RFA works?

Atl wants him back. They were going to start with an offer at $12mm. Knicks want him. They need to offer enough to force Atl to not match. The $18mm from the KNicks vs. the $12mm offered by the Hawks represents the cost of pilfering talent from another team's roster. Agree with the cost or dont but this pretty easy to understand.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
7/7/2017  12:47 PM
Sinix wrote:This reminds of when the Knicks got Eddy Curry as well. Look at that over 50% FG%!!!!!!!!!! He must be a good productive young player with a high %!!!!

Oops, he's a black hole, doesn't rebound and really not half as good as offense as his #'s might look.

There's your Tim Hardaway. People making the same excuses for God knows what reason.

Curry cost like 3 draft picks and we traded other players to get him. So this is nothing like the Curry trade. NOTHING. You are just spouting at every chance and not saying much
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/7/2017  12:52 PM
blkexec wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Andrew wrote:
JabStepDagger7 wrote:

BRIGGS statements is just silly. Why not just post THJ % of cap....why include Noah?

THJ....16% of cap.

Those are our 2 last big contracts given in free agency. If you want to add Lee that nearly half the cap on Lee THJ and Noah--think about it. Id rather give Holiday 4mm or last year Seth Curry 3-4mm--why do we always pay so much??? Then the players sck and we have trouble moving them. There is no change here.

Briggs and TH JR together make 16% of the cap. And Briggs can't even play. WTF were they thinking?

I've said this before....NY doesn't tank.....Can't tank....Wont tank. The only way the knicks get a high draft pick is by sucking real bad or trading for a 1st rounder and get lucky like Boston.

Otherwise, the show must go on. Dolan doesn't get paid for tanking, he gets paid for entertainment. And THj will bring some entertainment.....Now we just need Jamal Crawford to add some highlight flare, and the broadway show will be back on the road. Unless Melo sees Houston or Cleveland beating GS, I don't think he leaves or we trade him. Dolan needs Melo and KP to sell tickets. The show must go on!

Has anybody written a book on the life of a knick fan? Might be a best seller. Have Dolan provide the funds to promote it.

If we wanted to tank, all we needed to do was tell Phil to try to build a winning team!
knicks1248
7/7/2017  1:22 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Andrew wrote:
JabStepDagger7 wrote:

THJ....16% of cap.

If we wanted to tank, all we needed to do was tell Phil to try to build a winning team!

lol

ES
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/7/2017  1:22 PM
What does this signing of THJ tell you guys it means Knicks are making offers and are being turned down. I'm telling you guys that there are a lot of players that want very little to do with NY. If you guys think players are going to do friendly deals with NYK you have another thing coming. The players want to be compensated for one playing basketball and having to deal with constant media scrutiny.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
7/7/2017  1:27 PM
Vmart wrote:What does this signing of THJ tell you guys it means Knicks are making offers and are being turned down. I'm telling you guys that there are a lot of players that want very little to do with NY. If you guys think players are going to do friendly deals with NYK you have another thing coming. The players want to be compensated for one playing basketball and having to deal with constant media scrutiny.

Who else did they make an offer to? I have not heard anything.
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
7/7/2017  1:28 PM
Even if thj 2 month run wasn't a fluke, we still have a gaping hole at pg, which in not even sure we have enough cash to throw even at rindo now. Better than the Noah signing but still puzzling given Dotsobs strong performance and Courtney Lee's good play last year.
knicks1248
7/7/2017  1:30 PM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

WTF

Atl wants him back. They were going to start with an offer at $12mm. Knicks want him. They need to offer enough to force Atl to not match. The $18mm from the KNicks vs. the $12mm offered by the Hawks represents the cost of pilfering talent from another team's roster. Agree with the cost or dont but this pretty easy to understand.

I like the player, just not the deal. I do get what they tried to do, its still a lot of $$ regardless. Not a problem, more than half the league is over paid

ES
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
7/7/2017  1:31 PM
nykshaknbake wrote:Even if thj 2 month run wasn't a fluke, we still have a gaping hole at pg, which in not even sure we have enough cash to throw even at rindo now. Better than the Noah signing but still puzzling given Dotsobs strong performance and Courtney Lee's good play last year.

We only have a gaping hole at PG id you want to contend for a spot in the playoffs. Otherwise you have Ron Baker and the guy you just drafted at 8. We do need a vet PG to mentor, but that would be a nice to have at the moment. Not a priority right now.

PURE KNICKS LOVE
fishmike
USA
7/7/2017  1:37 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

WTF

I like the player, just not the deal. I do get what they tried to do, its still a lot of $$ regardless. Not a problem, more than half the league is over paid

its impossible to like the deal. Thats how RFA works. If you liked the deal the other team would match. It has to be a price that the other cant stomach. There is no way NOT to overpay.

What you look for in RFA is a player either trending upward or is in a role that can be expanded thus justifying the extra money. Thats the risk.

Myself I would prefer to do nothing and wait for opportunity, but that doesnt mean THIS move is bad or wrong. Knicks got a talented young player who was also a good player on a winning team. They gave up nothing but cap space to acquire this player. Thats the game.

I do think all this is premature as Hawks will match, but we will see.

lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy