Marbary, finally playing defense!
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/24/2004  11:19 AM
Posted by fishmike:

I'm not sure what the issue is... if they wanted a PG that only dribbled and shot open 3's why did they ask Marbury?

you nail it fish.

most of people scream and whine about the consequences, not about the causes. The cause of the struggles is how the team has been made, not how the guy are playing right now.
AUTOADVERT
raven
Canada
8/24/2004  11:21 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Looks like Raven got it and no one else was confused. Ask Solace or another poster here to explain it to you if you need help

I could explain it and would be glad to do it again but I'd need to be able to draw things to make it less complex.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/24/2004  11:21 AM
look.. I cant really applaud Marbury for doing one thing positive when his overall performance has been dismal to say the least.

The difference between myself and *others* is I know Marbury isnt a bad player because he's having a bad tourney, for the same reason I know RJ isnt a bad player or Carmello isnt a bad player for that matter. Every guy on this roster is a tremendous player in the rules they have played in since they played the game.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
raven
Canada
8/24/2004  11:26 AM
Posted by fishmike:

look.. I cant really applaud Marbury for doing one thing positive when his overall performance has been dismal to say the least.

The difference between myself and *others* is I know Marbury isnt a bad player because he's having a bad tourney, for the same reason I know RJ isnt a bad player or Carmello isnt a bad player for that matter. Every guy on this roster is a tremendous player in the rules they have played in since they played the game.

You read my mind fish, cause that's also what I think.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/24/2004  12:22 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Solace:

From what I've seen, and moreso what I've heard, it sounds like as a whole, Marbury has been a weak link for this team. I hope he steps it up in the medal round.
His jump shot is off, but he's playing his role like Larry Brown asked him to. I think RJ and Carmelo have played worse than Marbury, although I wouldn't be concerned about those players if I were a Nets or Nuggetts fan

20% is worse than "off". His defense has also been putrid, as in most games, the guy he was defending went off for 20+ points. Let's just be honest and say that Marbury has stunk up the joint, at times, in the olympics. He's playing against the best players in the world, so it's not like we can't understand about him getting burned a few times. It's not a knock against Marbury, himself, but he needs to step it up, because we all know he's better than this.
Okay, Marbury's averaged 5 shots taken and one made per game. Of course that's bad, but I'd add Carmelo and RJ to the list of players shooting around 20%. I'd love to see all three step it up in the rest of the olympics, but I wouldn't be concerned about any of the three in the NBA next season

Can you show me where I said any implication about Marbury's play on the upcoming NBA season? Can you show me where I mentioned Carmello or RJ? I didn't. There's a reason. I'm talking about Marbury's OLYMPIC play. He's playing below his level, plain and simple. I don't know why you're so defensive of him that you can't accept *any* criticism. Anyone could easily criticize any player in this tourney, Duncan, AI, Odom, etc... We're talking about Marbury, because he's a Knick, and at times, he's been the worst player on the court in the olympics. In the NBA, he's towards the upper half of the list, so it came up because it's *unusual* to see Marbury playing so poorly. Get it?

[Edited by - Solace on 08/24/2004 12:23:13]
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/24/2004  12:40 PM
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Solace:

From what I've seen, and moreso what I've heard, it sounds like as a whole, Marbury has been a weak link for this team. I hope he steps it up in the medal round.
His jump shot is off, but he's playing his role like Larry Brown asked him to. I think RJ and Carmelo have played worse than Marbury, although I wouldn't be concerned about those players if I were a Nets or Nuggetts fan

20% is worse than "off". His defense has also been putrid, as in most games, the guy he was defending went off for 20+ points. Let's just be honest and say that Marbury has stunk up the joint, at times, in the olympics. He's playing against the best players in the world, so it's not like we can't understand about him getting burned a few times. It's not a knock against Marbury, himself, but he needs to step it up, because we all know he's better than this.
Okay, Marbury's averaged 5 shots taken and one made per game. Of course that's bad, but I'd add Carmelo and RJ to the list of players shooting around 20%. I'd love to see all three step it up in the rest of the olympics, but I wouldn't be concerned about any of the three in the NBA next season

Can you show me where I said any implication about Marbury's play on the upcoming NBA season? Can you show me where I mentioned Carmello or RJ? I didn't. There's a reason. I'm talking about Marbury's OLYMPIC play. He's playing below his level, plain and simple. I don't know why you're so defensive of him that you can't accept *any* criticism. Anyone could easily criticize any player in this tourney, Duncan, AI, Odom, etc... We're talking about Marbury, because he's a Knick, and at times, he's been the worst player on the court in the olympics. In the NBA, he's towards the upper half of the list, so it came up because it's *unusual* to see Marbury playing so poorly. Get it?

[Edited by - Solace on 08/24/2004 12:23:13]
What's your problem man? I wasn't defending Marbury. I agree that his shooting has been awful. There's nothing for me to defend about his shooting or RJ's or Carmelo's. Please show me where I said YOU WERE talking about RJ or Carmelo since you somehow think I thought you were or please show me where I said you thought it had any implications for next season.

All I did was say that he's one of several players (none of whom deserve my defense) shooting terribly and you seem to have freaked out
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  12:45 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Yup, that was my point too and it seems to have caused a few people to freak out
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/24/2004  12:47 PM
Then what was the point in bringing up RJ or Melo when the conversation was about Marbury? The only reason I can think of is to deflect criticism and blame from Marbury.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  12:50 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Then what was the point in bringing up RJ or Melo when the conversation was about Marbury? The only reason I can think of is to deflect criticism and blame from Marbury.
Sorry, Scott; ask Fish why he brought those players up too then if you still need help figuring it out

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/24/2004 12:50:33]
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/24/2004  12:53 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Thanks for the backup, IF. That's what I felt he was saying, too. Again, no offense, Bonn, but that's what it seemed like. I'll elaborate below.
What's your problem man? I wasn't defending Marbury. I agree that his shooting has been awful. There's nothing for me to defend about his shooting or RJ's or Carmelo's. Please show me where I said YOU WERE talking about RJ or Carmelo since you somehow think I thought you were or please show me where I said you thought it had any implications for next season.
All I did was say that he's one of several players (none of whom deserve my defense) shooting terribly and you seem to have freaked out

I didn't freak out. Bonn, if you were responding to me in your prior response, I never mentioned those guys, so it sure seemed like it was excuses for Marbury's play, since others may have played poorly too. I also didn't mention anything about the implications on the upcoming NBA season, so I didn't get why you brought it up. If it was just a general comment, that's fine, but maybe you should've made it clearer that it was a general comment. That's all I'm saying. No offense taken and I intended none, myself.

[Edited by - Solace on 08/24/2004 12:54:19]
islesfan
8/24/2004  12:58 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:

Sorry, Scott; ask Fish why he brought those players up too then if you still need help figuring it out

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/24/2004 12:50:33]

I'm sure you can speak for yourself since you were the one who said it.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
USA
8/24/2004  12:59 PM
I brought those guys up to make my point. Marbury is having a bad tourney... plain and simple. It does nothing to damage my opinion of him in terms of his talent or the kind of NBA player he his.

This isnt just because he's a Knick. I feel the same way about Melo and RJ and they ARENT Knicks.

Contrary to your belief its possible to mention other players for other reasons than deflecting the blame you so earnestly seek to place.
fishmike
USA
8/24/2004  1:01 PM
on a side note I'm not concerned about Marbury at all. I didnt see Ben Wallace, Baron Davis or Paul Pierce suddenly break down in tears unable to play at a high NBA level because THEIR USA team finished 6th.

I would like to see him do well as a Knick fan's rooting interest. I would MUCH rather see the USA win the gold and Marbury contribute nothing then see him play well in a losing effort.
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  1:04 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I brought those guys up to make my point. Marbury is having a bad tourney... plain and simple. It does nothing to damage my opinion of him in terms of his talent or the kind of NBA player he his.

This isnt just because he's a Knick. I feel the same way about Melo and RJ and they ARENT Knicks.

Contrary to your belief its possible to mention other players for other reasons than deflecting the blame you so earnestly seek to place.
I don't expect Isles/Layden to understand that; his response didn't surprise me. It's not worth trying. You're never gonna get him to speak optimistically about the organization that fired him.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/24/2004 13:05:01]
islesfan
8/24/2004  1:13 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by fishmike:

I don't expect Isles/Layden to understand that; his response didn't surprise me. It's not worth trying. You're never gonna get him to speak optimistically about the organization that fired him.

LOL You still think that that makes any sense calling me Layden? Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, it's possible to bring up other players for other reasons than to deflect blame and criticism but that wasn't one of them.
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  1:16 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by fishmike:

LOL You still think that that makes any sense calling me Layden? Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, it's possible to bring up other players for other reasons than to deflect blame and criticism but that wasn't one of them.
Thanks for the permission to call you by your true name, Scott. You're obviously the only one who thinks it doesn't make any sense, BTW. No one else has expressed any confusion

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/24/2004 13:17:45]
fishmike
USA
8/24/2004  1:17 PM
you right... you know I thought it was a fair point to use other players, but clearly I was wrong and it was just another feeble attempt to protect the perception that Marbury can do no wrong. I was thwarted again. Man your smart. Islesfan wins again.
islesfan
8/24/2004  1:24 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by fishmike:

Thanks for the permission to call you by your true name, Scott.

Huh? Umm ok.

You're obviously the only one who thinks it doesn't make any sense, BTW. No one else has expressed any confusion

Actually Solace thought the same thing and called you out on it first.
islesfan
8/24/2004  1:28 PM
Posted by fishmike:

you right... you know I thought it was a fair point to use other players, but clearly I was wrong and it was just another feeble attempt to protect the perception that Marbury can do no wrong. I was thwarted again. Man your smart. Islesfan wins again.

Thank you, thank you. Now was that so hard.

I'm glad you've switched to Islesfan flavored Kool-Aid.
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  1:29 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by fishmike:

Thanks for the permission to call you by your true name, Scott.

Huh? Umm ok.

You're obviously the only one who thinks it doesn't make any sense, BTW. No one else has expressed any confusion

Actually Solace thought the same thing and called you out on it first.
I must have missed Solace's quote about calling you by your name. Maybe you can show me it
Marbary, finally playing defense!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy