[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marbary, finally playing defense!
Author Thread
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
8/23/2004  6:44 PM
i really like the way hes been playing for once. I know he can be an explosive scoere, but for once, i think hes playing his position PG, distributing the rock. He also is playing defense under larrys browns system. Hes no chauncy billups, not a great defender, but I see him giving effort and I appreciate that. Although he has been missing, he has been taking shots he should, He needs to take those shots to gain respect so the players dont cheat.
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/23/2004  7:46 PM
Marbury is a good defender.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/24/2004  2:36 AM
Marbury is a good defender when he wants.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/24/2004  5:29 AM
opposition was weak. don't forget that.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/24/2004  8:45 AM
From what I've seen, and moreso what I've heard, it sounds like as a whole, Marbury has been a weak link for this team. I hope he steps it up in the medal round.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/24/2004  8:56 AM
Posted by Solace:

From what I've seen, and moreso what I've heard, it sounds like as a whole, Marbury has been a weak link for this team. I hope he steps it up in the medal round.
His jump shot is off, but he's playing his role like Larry Brown asked him to. I think RJ and Carmelo have played worse than Marbury, although I wouldn't be concerned about those players if I were a Nets or Nuggetts fan
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/24/2004  9:02 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Solace:

His jump shot is off, but he's playing his role like Larry Brown asked him to. I think RJ and Carmelo have played worse than Marbury, although I wouldn't be concerned about those players if I were a Nets or Nuggetts fan

20% is worse than "off". His defense has also been putrid, as in most games, the guy he was defending went off for 20+ points. Let's just be honest and say that Marbury has stunk up the joint, at times, in the olympics. He's playing against the best players in the world, so it's not like we can't understand about him getting burned a few times. It's not a knock against Marbury, himself, but he needs to step it up, because we all know he's better than this.
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  9:27 AM
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Solace:

20% is worse than "off". His defense has also been putrid, as in most games, the guy he was defending went off for 20+ points. Let's just be honest and say that Marbury has stunk up the joint, at times, in the olympics. He's playing against the best players in the world, so it's not like we can't understand about him getting burned a few times. It's not a knock against Marbury, himself, but he needs to step it up, because we all know he's better than this.
Okay, Marbury's averaged 5 shots taken and one made per game. Of course that's bad, but I'd add Carmelo and RJ to the list of players shooting around 20%. I'd love to see all three step it up in the rest of the olympics, but I wouldn't be concerned about any of the three in the NBA next season
raven
Canada
8/24/2004  9:50 AM
As a European, used to watch both nba and euro basket, I'd agree that his D sucks, yet, it takes an enormous work to adapt to the game the way it is played in the Olympics.

Why are the US guards so bad on D and get torched by all the opposite guards ? simple, they just cannot read it. no anticipation as they don't know the systems, the players, what are their strengths and weaknesses. It is more glaring outside the paint, as euro offences are far more perimeter oriented.

marbury didn't play really well, but he at least try to play like a euro pg.

what makes me angry about, is how this guy is criticized for having a very low %fg. Look at the game vs Lithuania.
He had a very bad %. Why ? only cause he took a lot of shots NOBODY WANTED TO TAKE. The ball kept going from Jefferson to marb to AI to MARB to AI... with so many guys stacked in the paint, they have nothing to do BUT shooting the three ball.

you have to take what the defence gives you. They give you a 3ball, you sink it and they won't give it back again, clearing the lane and enabling single coverage in the paint.

Criticizing marb for not being a spot shooter is plain stupid, as it is not his game. at least he took the shots, and that's the reason why he's on the court. cause LB knows that the less they'll take the shots from downtown, the more they'll be people in the paint. and the less they'll be able to play. wade just run like a headless chicken, jump in the air while throwing ill advised passes. yet, this guy is praised while marb is buried.

marbury may not be the best player over there right now, but there are fans who should stop watching and1 tapes, and learn what real basketball is about. maybe then, they'd spare us their pointless posts.

peace.

Go France (but only in 4 yrs !)
raven
Canada
8/24/2004  9:52 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

but I wouldn't be concerned about any of the three in the NBA next season

for once, i disagree with you bonn. I'm affraid it may backfire and destroy marbury's confidence, or push him to score even more during the season to take his revenge. That would be the worst thing that could happen to our team.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/24/2004  10:32 AM
Posted by raven:

marbury may not be the best player over there right now, but there are fans who should stop watching and1 tapes, and learn what real basketball is about. maybe then, they'd spare us their pointless posts.

Maybe Marbury should stop watching and1 tapes and learn what real basketball is about since he's the one getting schooled in the Olympics. Maybe he can get some tapes of all the PG's who have torched him so far playing team basketball.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  10:36 AM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by raven:

Maybe Marbury should stop watching and1 tapes and learn what real basketball is about since he's the one getting schooled in the Olympics. Maybe he can get some tapes of all the PG's who have torched him so far playing team basketball.
LOL! I thought you'd find a way to be much harsher than that. You disappointed me.
islesfan
8/24/2004  10:49 AM
LOL! I thought you'd find a way to be much harsher than that. You disappointed me.

I'm getting more reserved as I get older. Until the regular season starts that is.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
raven
Canada
8/24/2004  10:49 AM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by raven:

Funny as hell, as I was sure that if there was a guy to quote that one, it would be you.

Man, can't you just surprise for once?

If you had ever watched the Olympics before, you'd know that other nba PGs underwent the same treatment.

Maybe if your memory was not so dysfunctional to the point that only think you can say or post is against Marbury or Thomas, you would remember how the team is Sidney had a very hard time in the finals. Maybe you would even remember how Team USA nearly lost last year against porto rico at MSG, but was saved by ray allen bombing from long range. You would maybe even remember that marbury was not there at that time and that his spot on team USA was filled by other PG that you seem to prefer. Those same PGs that decided to stay at home, afraid of loosing cause everybody knew what was coming, instead of coming to defend your flag.

The guy is moving his azs trying to change his game on the fly for the better off the team. Even necrophagous of your kind should see that.

Oh wait, maybe larry brown, one of the best basketball minds the league currently has has been brainwashed by IT. You may be right. And in that case, that would mean, wait, that chad ford is right too… And maybe Stephen Smith is also right…

If you don’t like the knicks anymore, go and cheer for the hawks. They’re so desperate for fans that they should even accept you.

[Edited by - raven on 08/24/2004 10:51:49]
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  11:04 AM
Posted by raven:
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by raven:

Funny as hell, as I was sure that if there was a guy to quote that one, it would be you.

Man, can't you just surprise for once?

If you had ever watched the Olympics before, you'd know that other nba PGs underwent the same treatment.

Maybe if your memory was not so dysfunctional to the point that only think you can say or post is against Marbury or Thomas, you would remember how the team is Sidney had a very hard time in the finals. Maybe you would even remember how Team USA nearly lost last year against porto rico at MSG, but was saved by ray allen bombing from long range. You would maybe even remember that marbury was not there at that time and that his spot on team USA was filled by other PG that you seem to prefer. Those same PGs that decided to stay at home, afraid of loosing cause everybody knew what was coming, instead of coming to defend your flag.

The guy is moving his azs trying to change his game on the fly for the better off the team. Even necrophagous of your kind should see that.

Oh wait, maybe larry brown, one of the best basketball minds the league currently has has been brainwashed by IT. You may be right. And in that case, that would mean, wait, that chad ford is right too… And maybe Stephen Smith is also right…

If you don’t like the knicks anymore, go and cheer for the hawks. They’re so desperate for fans that they should even accept you.

[Edited by - raven on 08/24/2004 10:51:49]
Isles/Layden is still upset Dolan fired him and replaced him with Isiah
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/24/2004  11:05 AM
no to mention USA beat Lithuania on a missed 3 pointer by the same guy that hit about 8 and single handedly won them the game last time.

Marbury has played poorly... he certainly hasnt contributed much on either side of the ball.

I'm not sure what the issue is... if they wanted a PG that only dribbled and shot open 3's why did they ask Marbury? Why not add Brent Barry or Derrick Fischer? Marbury has always been a streaky shooter at best and is used to taking 15-18 shots a game.

The NBA is a one on one and two man game. So now you have the best one on one players in the world and they are struggling. Shocker.

I dont understand why our offense doesnt have more motion and backdoor plays where our guys can get some more space... Marbury included.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
raven
Canada
8/24/2004  11:08 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

lol bonn, i love that one !
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  11:11 AM
Posted by fishmike:

no to mention USA beat Lithuania on a missed 3 pointer by the same guy that hit about 8 and single handedly won them the game last time.

Marbury has played poorly... he certainly hasnt contributed much on either side of the ball.

I'm not sure what the issue is... if they wanted a PG that only dribbled and shot open 3's why did they ask Marbury? Why not add Brent Barry or Derrick Fischer? Marbury has always been a streaky shooter at best and is used to taking 15-18 shots a game.

The NBA is a one on one and two man game. So now you have the best one on one players in the world and they are struggling. Shocker.

I dont understand why our offense doesnt have more motion and backdoor plays where our guys can get some more space... Marbury included.
I agree that Marbury and Iverson are not the right backcourt to have TOGETHER for this style of play. I still think Marbury's passing has been good though. (You can't go by assists per game because the stat is different in international rules. That's why most teams are getting like 8 assists total per game.)
islesfan
8/24/2004  11:14 AM
Posted by raven:

Ummm, what does any of that have to do with Marbury playing poorly in this Olympic tourney so far?

I still don't know what that means. Is that supposed to be some kind of putdown? I hated Layden and wanted him fired as much as anybody so I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  11:15 AM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by raven:

Ummm, what does any of that have to do with Marbury playing poorly in this Olympic tourney so far?

I still don't know what that means. Is that supposed to be some kind of putdown? I hated Layden and wanted him fired as much as anybody so I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.
Looks like Raven got it and no one else was confused. Ask Solace or another poster here to explain it to you if you need help
Marbary, finally playing defense!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy