[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Power Ranking Time
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/23/2004  6:30 PM
Philadelphia is definitely going to be an improved, esp. with O'Brien.

The Knicks were .500 with Marbury, they've gotten healthy and added better players.

How you figure they'll be less than .500 is beyond me.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/23/2004  7:02 PM
1 game under? thats not a big stretch the more i thought about our defense both on the perimeter and in the middle made me drop my number of 43 wins down to 40.

I have the Celtics at 42, but the number is still subject to drop. I didnt like the Mihm deal which made me drop their win total from 44 to 42 and I only kept them above .500 with payton coming and playing well for 25 minutes+Lafrentz as well.

If we look at
C- Blount 7-0 255
PF Jefferson 6-10 265
SF Pierce 6-6 240
SG Davis 6-7 200
PG Payton 6-4 200
C Lafrentz 6-11 250
PF Gugliotta 6-10 250
SF Welsch 6-7 210
SG Allen 6-4 215
PG Banks or West

that s a pretty good team with more defense rebounding and size than us.
RIP Crushalot😞
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
8/23/2004  7:31 PM
the one team i fear the most in our division is philly, they added quality players without losing their core. AI looked pretty healthy to me, but we would still be 6 or 7 if we lose our division
mintyfreshness33
USA
8/23/2004  7:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BRIGGS:

1. Indiana
2. Philidelphia
3. Wizards
4. Detroit
5. Cleveland
6. Miami
7. Boston
8 Magic

LOL! The Knicks are out of the playoff picture Briggs?? Are you drinking hatorade from the same glass as Islefan?

LOL, wizards are pretty strong tho.
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
8/23/2004  7:40 PM
Washington IS NOT going to be the third seed. They had a talented core last year, too, and I know the excuse is injuries. However, I have yet to see such a young team like them with unproven pieces play up to the expectations. I would neve question anything BRIGGS says again for the rest of my life if Washington gets 3rd seed next season.
http://allknicks.com
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/23/2004  7:43 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Silverfuel:

Most people on this thread ranked NYK in the top 4 but I dont think thats going to happen. I think we will be closer to a 6,7 or 8 seed.
We were 7th with Eisley starting at PG for a third of the season, Shandon Anderson as the starting SG for almost half the season, and Weatherspoon as the first frontcourt player off the bench for about a third of the season. We should be much better than last year just because We have Marbury, Crawford, and an improved Sweetney for a full season
Most other teams in the East improved as well and our lineup did improve but not dramatically enough to catapult us from number 7 to number 2,3,4. No arguing that our lineup is much better revolving around Stephon and Crawford instead of Eisley and Houston.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 08/23/2004 19:43:47]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/23/2004  7:58 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Silverfuel:

Most people on this thread ranked NYK in the top 4 but I dont think thats going to happen. I think we will be closer to a 6,7 or 8 seed.
We were 7th with Eisley starting at PG for a third of the season, Shandon Anderson as the starting SG for almost half the season, and Weatherspoon as the first frontcourt player off the bench for about a third of the season. We should be much better than last year just because We have Marbury, Crawford, and an improved Sweetney for a full season
Most other teams in the East improved as well and our lineup did improve but not dramatically enough to catapult us from number 7 to number 2,3,4. No arguing that our lineup is much better revolving around Stephon and Crawford instead of Eisley and Houston.

Well its not just that we got better, we also got put into a weaker division, while our main competition for the division grew significantly weaker. We don't need to be a top 3 or 4 team in the east, but just better than jersey, boston, philly, and toronto. We couldn't have asked for an easier division.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/23/2004  8:18 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Silverfuel:

Well its not just that we got better, we also got put into a weaker division, while our main competition for the division grew significantly weaker. We don't need to be a top 3 or 4 team in the east, but just better than jersey, boston, philly, and toronto. We couldn't have asked for an easier division.
Yep, thats exactly what we need to do. We cannot be a Top 4 team but we can definately be 5,6,7 or 8 without a problem.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 08/23/2004 20:19:12]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/23/2004  8:19 PM
Whatever man, just watch them win the the division, and name one outside shooter on Philly outside of that white kid who can't do anything else and is a huge liablity on the defense. And Payton said he arent playin for Boston. Putting Wizards in the top 3??? You have got to be kidding me. You are just to pessimistic. Can the Knicks finish with a 40-42 record? Yes. Will they? Unlikely. 43 wins is def a fare prognosis. If you go below that you are just being anal.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
BigSm00th
USA
8/23/2004  8:24 PM
I know you like to consider the best for other teams and the worst for the Knicks, but one thing struck me as odd:

"PG Payton 6-4 200" showed up under the Celtics.

According to Payton, he will "quit" before he plays for Boston. They're PGs will be either West or Allen, two rookies, neither of whom played PG in college (West had Nelson; Allen had Lucas). That, in itself, is a problem.

Second, you are assuming Jefferson will put up the same numbers he put up in summer league. That's fine, I see him in the same mold as Amare. But if you're going to do that, why wouldn't Sweetney and Ariza play as well?

KT 6'9"
Sweetney 6'8"
TT 6'10"
Crawford 6'5"
Marbury 6'2"

Mohammed 6'10"
Baker 6'11"
Ariza 6'8"
Houston 6'6"
Penny 6'7"

I'm not going to write weights, I don't know them and don't find them relevant.

With Houston and TT injured and all the players' changing teams, they go .500. Now with player's healthy and an offseason and training camp together, they won't improve. I can't follow this logic at all.

The Wizards will be OK, but I'm not sure about the 3rd seed.

I don't see any team other than Phily in the Atlantic beating the Knicks:
Boston: Has no legitimate point guard without Payton, extremely young
Toronto: Fragile team with two young big men (Bosh was awful in SL) and Carter will cash it in in December.
Philadelphia: Great young squad they've assembled, with the most up front by far. Iverson's becoming a leader and Dalembert's a beast.
New Jersey: How this team get's thrown into the playoffs is unreal. UNREAL.

PG: Kidd (coming off knee surgery), Planinic (this guy stunk last year, plain and simple)
SG: Eric Williams (decent, not better than Houston or Crawford)
SF: Jefferson (very overrated), Ron Mercer (past his prime when he was with the Bulls)
PF: Aaron Williams (this guy is a bum, KT's better)
C: Nenad Kristic (has been horrible at the Olympics)

How does anybody think this squad will do well??? HOW?? Kidd is coming off KNEE SURGERY, him coming back at 100% is enough to bump them out of the top 8. If he is at 100%, who's he passing it to???? You cannot tell me this is a beter team than the Knicks, you just can't.

Detroit and Indiana are easily the top two. Miami or Washington out of the Southeast or whatever it is. NY and Philly clear-cut talent-wise above everybody else in the Atlatnic (can't wait for the Starbury/Answer battles that will mean something). That is 6 teams. I'd throw Cleveland in there, they've made some nice additions and LeBron is the man.

The 8th team could be anyone. If Milwaukee plays well (though no real PG until Ford gets back), they could be alright, I don't see what everyone else sees in Orlando (basically Francis, Mobley, Turkoglu with zero up front and if you're banking on Grant Hill then you're saying Houston's going to score 20 a game b/c Hill's coming back from an injury much worse than Houston's bone bruise. His ankle has been reconstructed like 5 times). Boston could be a good team if the rookies play well.

So that's my reasoning, can I get the reasoning from everyone else on the rankings?:
1: Detroit
2: NY/Philly
3: Washington/Miami
4: Indiana
5: NY/Philly
6: Washington/Miami
7: Cleveland
8: Boston, Milwaukee, possibly Orlando, possibly Toronto if all are healthy

West is such a crapshoot, who knows?

Minnesota, San Antonio are definitely the top two.

After that, it'll be between Sacramento, Houston, Denver, Utah, LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Memphis, and Portland. My god...
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/23/2004  9:48 PM
C- Kwame Brown 6-11 260
PF Etan Thomas 6-9 260
SF Antwan Jamison 6-9 245
SG Larry Hughes 6-5 200
PG Gilbert Arenas 6-3 200
C Brendan Haywood 7-0 270
PF Jared Jefferies 6-11 240
SF Jarvis Hayes 6-7 220
SG Anthony Peeler 6-4 210
PG Steve Blake 6-3 190

dixon walker ruffin ramos

this team to me in the east is going to make noise and hurt other teasm despite being a younger team. When you add a 20-10 player in Jamison, the best 3 pt shooting G in the league last year who happens to be a mean defender as well in Peeler--you get a year of maturity in all of the young guys--with all of the size athletiscm and skill on this team with the newly founded depth--this team is going places. Miami will make it to the playoffs, but Shaq+Dwayne Wade both get hurt to much for this team to win the division.

Were not really talking so much about potential here--we know what these guys can do. Its a scary team that will have highs and lows, but the talent and size in the east will keep them on the high side.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/23/2004  10:16 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Silverfuel:

What teams improved a lot other than the Heat?
Bonn1997
USA
8/23/2004  10:17 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

C- Kwame Brown 6-11 260
PF Etan Thomas 6-9 260
SG Larry Hughes 6-5 200
SF Jarvis Hayes 6-7 220
PG Steve Blake 6-3 190

this team to me in the east is going to make noise and hurt other teasm despite being a younger team. When you add a 20-10 player in Jamison, the best 3 pt shooting G in the league last year who happens to be a mean defender as well in Peeler--you get a year of maturity in all of the young guys--with all of the size athletiscm and skill on this team with the newly founded depth--this team is going places. Miami will make it to the playoffs, but Shaq+Dwayne Wade both get hurt to much for this team to win the division.

Were not really talking so much about potential here--we know what these guys can do. Its a scary team that will have highs and lows, but the talent and size in the east will keep them on the high side.
It all revolves around the health of Hughes and Arenas and the development of Kwame. If everything works out perfectly, I could see them making the sixth or seventh seed. But I wouldn't bet on them making the playoffs

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/23/2004 22:18:08]
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/23/2004  10:26 PM
Posted by simrud:

Whatever man ... If you go below that you are just being anal.

rofl
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
8/23/2004  10:37 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

C- Kwame Brown 6-11 260
PF Etan Thomas 6-9 260
SG Larry Hughes 6-5 200
SF Jarvis Hayes 6-7 220
PG Steve Blake 6-3 190

We ARE talking potential here. This team is dependant on guys who have been so-so so far in their young careers, or have a reputation based on their previous success in less than ideal situations. Jamison -> averaged good numbers on bad teams, proved he is a good teammate in Dallas. He is not a franchise player, people. Arenas -> posted good numbers in GS, obviously a great talent but has a huge contract to backup + he didn't exactly show his best stuff last year. The talent level drop-off of the reserves after the starting 5 + haywood or thomas (who I think would come off the bench) is STEEP STEEP STEEP. It doesn't matter anyway you look at it, the Wizards do not have a solid core of guys who you can depend on night in and night out, they need leadership and experience. Another potential factor is defense; some of the guys might give it some good effort but I think this team will give up a lot of points per game next year. They could be a good team this year potentially, but 3rd seed? You've gotta be kidding me.
http://allknicks.com
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/23/2004  10:45 PM
haha, I did not even mean it be that funny lol.

Once again BRIGGS, Wizardsa are a HORRIBLE shooting team that will turn the ball over a lot. Arenas, Hughes, Jamison, Kwame, Etan, not a single decent outside shooter. Play zone and pack it in, grab the clankers and run them to death as they are also slow if you play Jamison at the 3 and Kwame AND Etan upfront. Not to mention the fact that Hughes is a headcase ala Ricky Davis, and that Arenas is not even a real PG. Oh, and don't forget Jamison being what he is, a guy who puts up good numbers but does not make an impact. He a super Juwan Howard as far as I see.

Boston is horrible w/out Payton. Who is going to run the offense, Doc will come back and be playe/coach? Outside of Pearce what do they have? Ricky Davis is a problem in itself, not a solutoin to anything. Blount is no better then Mohammed, mabye a better defender. You are counting on LaFrentz to come back and take Walker place on the team in throwing up useless treys? Cause thats all he did in Dallas the last time he actually played.

Sixers also can't shoot. Iverson is the only guy you need to worry about making a jumper on that team. Iguadola can't shoot, he is just a dunker right now. You gonna put it all on Green and Salmons to turn Philly into a powerhouse? Big Dog is not even done, he is overdone. Think Glen Rice year after we traded for him. Kenny Thomas is there PF? The dude is like 6 7 and is not all he is crakced up to be. Delambert is a good shotblocker/rebounder. Thats it. He is very raw. Kinda like a poor man's Camby, but not even close. It is still just AI and a bunch of role players. Williamson if you saw him play recently is also close to the end of the road. Ollie is garbage. They lost Snow who was rock solid for them. Who is gonna do the dirty work for AI in the backcourt now? Snow guarded all the 2's before you know.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Bonn1997
USA
8/23/2004  11:04 PM
Boston is horrible w/out Payton. Who is going to run the offense, Doc will come back and be player/coach?
LOL!
mintyfreshness33
USA
8/23/2004  11:13 PM
Once again BRIGGS, Wizardsa are a HORRIBLE shooting team that will turn the ball over a lot. Arenas, Hughes, Jamison, Kwame, Etan, not a single decent outside shooter.

they are not a horrible shooting team, arenas, hughes and jamison can shoot from the outside. Its just arenas and hughes take a lot of bad shots. They have peeler coming off the bench, who is a great shooter, i think they have a chance at the 5 spot.
BigSm00th
USA
8/24/2004  12:34 AM
BRIGGS is relying on the assertion that Washington stays healthy and Miami doesn't. They could finish .500 and have a 3 seed because of the way the playoffs are shaped this year. They have the potential to be dangerous, but so did the Warriors three seasons ago (when they started Arenas, Jamison, and Hughes) and they finished 21-61.

Arenas could become a real good PG. He's only 22 and last year averaged 20 points 5 assists, not bad numbers.

Philly will be the Knicks competition in the East. That's a solid, young team. New coach, new defensive philosophy. Dalembert's a big-time shot blocker and rebounder, Korver shoots the lights out, Igoudala can dunk on anyone, Salmons and Green do a little of everything, Williamson is a good player. Don't write them off, they're very similar to the Knicks in some ways and different in others.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 08/24/2004 00:35:47]
#Knickstaps
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/24/2004  1:16 AM
I see a lot of if's here being presented by briggs, and all the positive if's are not in the knicks favor of course, but if briggs is counting on Igudola contributing for the wizards then why can't the knicks count on Ariza, I mean ariza shut this kid down in college when UClA played Arizona.... Sweetney has shown what he can do on this level and crawford is a huge upgrade for the knicks off the bench and a great addition if he starts....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Power Ranking Time

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy