[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah's Knicks Better, But Have a Long Way to Go.
Author Thread
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/23/2004  12:20 AM
Isiah's Knicks better, but have a way to go

Saturday, August 21, 2004

By AL IANNAZZONE
STAFF WRITER

Isiah Thomas didn't have the assets to achieve all of his off-season goals, but the summer has not been a waste for the Knicks' aggressive president.

After an early summer meeting with Kobe Bryant in California - at Bryant's behest when he was a free agent - Thomas set his more realistic sights on obtaining Jamal Crawford and Erick Dampier.

Dampier will be traded to Dallas in a five-player deal, but Thomas landed Crawford, shoring up what could be the best backcourt in the Eastern Conference, if not the whole NBA, provided Allan Houston is healthy.

The athletic and versatile Crawford gives the Knicks insurance at shooting guard if Houston's troublesome knees act up. Crawford, 24, adds another scorer to help Olympian Stephon Marbury, who needed an assist offensively in the playoffs against the Nets, and allows the Knicks to play a three-guard lineup.

So essentially, Thomas is shooting 50 percent this summer. We must exclude Bryant because he was staying with the Lakers all along. Either way, Thomas is having a better off-season than Rod Thorn and the Nets.

"The Knicks still aren't very good," one Eastern Conference executive said, "but they could be one of the top four or five teams in the conference."

That might be a little overzealous since the Shaquille O'Neal-led Heat, the Pistons, and the Pacers are the East's elite. The Knicks, despite a $102 million payroll, aren't close to that class yet. But they may have surpassed the Nets, who lost Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles. And Thomas isn't done dealing.

He would love to get Vince Carter, but a package including Kurt Thomas or Tim Thomas won't get it done right now. Still, Isiah wants to get younger and more athletic. He would trade Kurt Thomas, Shandon Anderson, and Moochie Norris in a heartbeat.

Kurt Thomas, a power forward, has value around the league. He just doesn't seem to have much on his own team.

Isiah Thomas and coach Lenny Wilkens said the Knicks want to get more athletic at power forward. Thomas even said he would consider playing Tim Thomas at power forward.

Picture Marbury, Crawford, Houston, Tim Thomas, and Nazr Mohammed on the floor at the same time, or replace Mohammed with newly re-signed Vin Baker. The Knicks also could use Jerome Williams, who came from Chicago with Crawford, at power forward.

"The more athleticism we could add to our team the better we'll be, particularly out on the perimeter," Isiah Thomas said. "We see [power forward] being an athletic position also.

"We want to have the ability to play big, and also small and be quick. I'd like to see a team at the Garden where we have the kind of athleticism and quick point guards and [shooters] that can shoot the ball and everything else. It would be an exciting style."

There aren't many free agents left. Rodney White, who Thomas had interest in, reportedly will re-sign with Denver. Marcus Fizer and Keon Clark, who met with Knick officials in New York, remain possibilities.

Thomas' best bet to improve seems to be more trades, but he gave up valuable assets for Crawford and Williams. Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, Frank Williams, and Cezary Trybanski were entering the final years of their contracts. Teams want players with short-term contracts because they provide salary-cap relief when they expire.

That should make Mohammed, Tim Thomas, and Penny Hardaway more valuable next summer, as they will be going into the last year of the deals.

"We'll always continue to try and upgrade our team," Isiah Thomas said. "The difficult process that we're trying to do is restructure our team and not necessarily lose for three years while trying to do it."

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY1NzI0ODQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

From yesturday.
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/23/2004  12:52 AM
jees not one mention of sweetney, ill say this the knicks will only be good IF mike sweetney plays 35 minutes and plays well.

on top of that how much latitude does isiah want to give himself. He has been allowed to spend as much as he wants + has essentially traded 5 number 1 picks.

he has brought in Marbury Crawford Tim Thomas Nazr JYD Penny Moochie Vin Baker and added a large financial package to KT. He has built this team--this is his team--this is how he wanted it. If they lose dont blame Layden. I personally think isiah has done a good job changing the ambiance and trying to get the team more athletic, but there are also many stealth negatives.
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/23/2004  1:29 AM
I think Clark would definitely be a big boost in terms of adding much needed athleticism and shot-blocking prowess on their front line.

5 number 1 picks Briggs? How do you figure? I know the two to Phoenix, plus I guess you're considering Lampe and Vujanic (though both went in the 2nd round) and Frank Williams. But if you're going to stretch the truth, they've basically gotten three lottery picks for them (Marbury, Penny, and Crawford).
#Knickstaps
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/23/2004  9:46 AM

He has built this team--this is his team--this is how he wanted it.

Briggs- how can you say this is the team Isiah wanted?

He's been playing the hand he picked up when he got to the table and he didn't come to a team with part of a flush or full house- he came to a team that had less than nothing- mediocre talent signed to big time contracts (Eisley, Weatherspoon, Anderson) and some very good talent signed to a deal that was maxed out (Houston) and some other halfway decent parts and then McDyss who cost a lot (Camby & #1) but was shot due to injuries.

There was garbage here when Isiah got here. Yes, Isiah can take back big ugly contracts like Hardaway and JYD- but there were few people on the roster that other teams wanted for who they were. In fact, I don't think there was anyone on this roster who other teams wanted- sure teams might have wanted Charlie Ward, but that was because of his contract.

Who did Layden turn down that called asking if Howard Eisley and Shandon Anderson and Clarence Weatherspoon were available?

I'm amazed at what Isiah has been able to do- there is no doubt this team has been upgraded and there is no doubt that this roster has been reshaped with moves that Isiah has made-
\
--BUT, you cannot say this is the team Isiah wanted.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/23/2004  10:13 AM
I still think getting rid of dice will back fire this season.

I'm really not sure, but he looks like he'll be very servicable with Ra, and ben at his side.
ES
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/23/2004  10:22 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

jees not one mention of sweetney, ill say this the knicks will only be good IF mike sweetney plays 35 minutes and plays well.

i wouldn't worry about it briggs. every interview isiah was asked about sweetney, he constantly says "i love mike sweetney." we all know aguirre loves him AND isiah took marbury AND him on those playoff games. sweets isn't going anywhere.

payroll is pretty huge BUT it looks good by h20's last year - a fact we all were resolved about when layden was still here.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/23/2004  2:51 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I think Clark would definitely be a big boost in terms of adding much needed athleticism and shot-blocking prowess on their front line.

5 number 1 picks Briggs? How do you figure? I know the two to Phoenix, plus I guess you're considering Lampe and Vujanic (though both went in the 2nd round) and Frank Williams. But if you're going to stretch the truth, they've basically gotten three lottery picks for them (Marbury, Penny, and Crawford).

excellent post smooth, briggs will always shift everything to the negative, when it comes to these knicks.... But will never accentuate the positives... Good stick...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/23/2004  3:37 PM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by BigSm00th:

excellent post smooth, briggs will always shift everything to the negative, when it comes to these knicks.... But will never accentuate the positives... Good stick...
Yeah, that is an excellent post. Briggs adjusts #s (draft picks, player's age, etc) just to make his arguments stronger.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/23/2004  5:47 PM
Isiah Thomas and coach Lenny Wilkens said the Knicks want to get more athletic at power forward. Thomas even said he would consider playing Tim Thomas at power forward.

If the writers interpretation of the facts is true, I don't see how this quote cannot be interpreted as an implicit non-endorsement of Sweetney
Bonn1997
USA
8/23/2004  10:11 PM
Posted by Rich:

If the writers interpretation of the facts is true, I don't see how this quote cannot be interpreted as an implicit non-endorsement of Sweetney
If it's not a quote, it's basically useless
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/24/2004  6:23 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

What if its not a direct quote? What if it is an accurate interpreation of the facts? You think its still useless?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
TRU
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #196
USA
8/24/2004  8:20 AM
Sweetney is still unproven.

Just because a guy loses some weight and does good things at a few summer league games, you shouldn't assume that he's better than veteran like Kurt.

Kurt's been knocked his entire career for being incapable of jumping, running or doing anything remotely athletic. But he's been getting the job done on a crappy team for a few years now. When's the last time Kurt played with a front line that anyone in their right mind would call formidable? Wherever he ends up, if he's paired with a decent center and doesn't have to play out of position, he'll thrive.

I'm not saying Sweetney's garbage. But you guys have been falling all over him for no reason for too long... and that's why he wasn't mentioned in the article.

[Edited by - TRU on 08/24/2004 08:22:21]
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/24/2004  8:42 AM
Somewhere between the Kool-Aid and Islesfan is reality.

Isiah turned the team over as much as possible, so its his baby now. If he blew it up, you can suck and still blame Laydog.

Thats not a bad statement by the way. The money added to payroll to acomplish that is how it happened. Isiah is good, but the money added made it happen. See it for what it is.

Crawford is still a risk to blend in. He could be a disaster, in fact this team can implode for many reasons. Or it can over achieve its individual talent to acheive somthing greater.

Sweet is unproven and will have to earn his way. There are not too many PF's and centers availbe by trade that are better than KT.

The grass is always greener. SOme have even been envious of the bobcats new uni's. ALway complaining.

THis team is interesting. THey have a tough start to the season and its not out of the question we will start slow. ITs how you finish that counts.

Sweets has to stay out of foul trouble to be effective!

It will all be settled on the court in due time.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/24/2004  8:44 AM
You can never read into KT #s, IMO he's expendable in every sense of the word. He's not an impact player, your either here or there with or with out him. In other words, if you can get some one solid for him, I would trade him in a heart beat. He's never been the deciding factor in a win.
ES
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  8:53 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Somewhere between the Kool-Aid and Islesfan is reality.

Isiah turned the team over as much as possible, so its his baby now. If he blew it up, you can suck and still blame Laydog.

Thats not a bad statement by the way. The money added to payroll to acomplish that is how it happened. Isiah is good, but the money added made it happen. See it for what it is.
Yeah, the team's payroll is about 10% higher this year than last year.
Bonn1997
USA
8/24/2004  8:55 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

What if its not a direct quote? What if it is an accurate interpreation of the facts? You think its still useless?
I wouldn't trust any interpretation to be accurate without a clear statement to back it up. I'm not interested in Iannazzone's personal speculation
Isiah's Knicks Better, But Have a Long Way to Go.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy