[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sweetney for a defensive center with an upside?
Author Thread
colorfl1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #731
Canada
8/22/2004  4:45 PM
Nalod: "We cannot become a complete team. In a short time we made great strides to be configured properly."

We have Kurt and JYD locked up for a while, we cannot wait 5 years to move these contracts. so PF is overstocked with compitent talent.
therefore sweet= expendable tradebait

we need to make this team better and round out the roster. That means that although Sweet is ripe and a fan favorite, he also plays our most stocked position and is highly desirable. TT also plays a position that is over stocked, Nazir would be a nice add in for anyone who is going to trade a promising defensive center to us.

Zeke needs to consider this scenario...
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/22/2004  5:18 PM
Isiah made the decision to give KT 4 more years

Isiah made the call to sign Baker back 2 more years

Isiah made the decision to get Nazr for Doleac

Isiah made the decision to acquire JYD

Isiah made the decision to add Lampe into the deal

Scott Layden drafted both Sweetney and Lampe

I think Isiah likes Sweetney and *HOPEFULLY* will mandate that he gets 35 minutes.
Lets let Isiah's frontline that he has established perform-- it's not terrible--it sjust lacks D---were not getting Eddie Curry or Dalembart--it's a dumb suggestion. The way you get those guys is in the draft.
RIP Crushalot😞
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/22/2004  5:31 PM
Posted by codeunknown:
Posted by Silverfuel:

I dont know about Chandler but I am not completely opposed to the idea of trading Sweetney.

Yeah, I figured some of you would say that. Look, Chandler is like one of those firecrackers that fizzles like a dud and then BAAMMM!!!! it just went off in your face and you're kicking and screaming and you can't see and your hair's on fire. Get him before he explodes.

Rip, Chandler is going to be next to impossible to get, but offer up Sweetney, Kurt, maybe a pick for Chandler and Pippen and fodder - there's a chance they'll bite. There are plenty of combinations. If Paxson declines, what can you do, offer something for Kwame.
Ok so Chandler is about to explode. But then if you know that then obviously Bulls management knows that too. What kind of an offer can you make? They will not take Sweets, Nazr and a pick or Sweets, Nazr and TT.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Knick2001
Member: #83
8/22/2004  5:59 PM
Chandler is NOT a center. He's a PF in a center's body. He would get killed if he played exclusively in the 5 position. He gets pushed around too much as he only weighs about 235-245 lbs.
colorfl1
Canada
I love Sweet, but we have several adequite PFs that are on our team and are impossible to move unless you give them away. Sweet is out ticket out of this cycle.
We are not trading our future if we get youth in return...

Who here thinks we can't get Dalembart for Sweet, Nazir and TT or future picks?
We should be ready to take back a rotten contract if we can sure up this kid.

Then we will have a defensive center to compliment our overstocked, but compitent PFs.

This would actually give us a prayer in the post season.

[Edited by - colorfl1 on 08/22/2004 18:01:57]
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
Posted by Knick2001:

Chandler is NOT a center. He's a PF in a center's body. He would get killed if he played exclusively in the 5 position. He gets pushed around too much as he only weighs about 235-245 lbs.
That can change if he has talent but if he has talent and any promise, I dont see Chicago trading him for our front line.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
8/22/2004  8:01 PM
we all knew losing to spurs in championship drive without aging pat ewing prompted spree in saying get me some size with pat heading out the door. sweetney is part of that size, and nzar needs to be the man at
5. trading sweetney would be a mistake. remember, bulls had a three
headed dragon
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/22/2004  8:14 PM
Posted by colorfl1:

would you ship Sweet and a pick for Dalambert?

Hell yes but the Sixers have Kenny Thomas.....

Dalembert is a young athletic defensive center who can finish well inside. Why would the sixers trade him or let him walk?

I think Isiah should have taken a look at Steven Hunter....I think he might suprise some of us.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/22/2004  8:19 PM
Ahm, the only problem is, what center are you talking about? Delambert is a project, def not worth trading away a lottery pick wigh huge potential for. Chandler and Curry are not getting traded for anything other then established stars, and besides, you would have to develop either one of them, why not develop Sweetney? Show some patience, this team is not a title contender, for now it is just a fun team to watch. I will personally enjoy rooting for a young guy to develop while at the same we have a fighting chance in every game.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/22/2004  8:41 PM
color, you seem like you won't take no for an answer. To me, Sweets is as untounchable as Marbury is. I see him as the next Elton Brand, and when you have him, you DON'T trade him away (or atleast you shouldn't as the bulls have shown us).
I'm not sure other teams see what we see in Sweet, they don't watch him 82 games a year.
As far as our center goes, Kurt is an above average defender and can pass off as a 5. Nazr is still young and atleast deserves a chance. I don't know of many centers out there that are available. So for now we are gonna have to deal with this team, atleast until next year when TT + Penny's contracts will be expiring and drawing interest.

Just one more thing...SF is not a position we have surplus at. TT and Ariza (who most likely won't get much playing time) are our only true SFs. Penny can pull it off there but is really a SG, and Shandon (who is also a SG) shouldn't even be getting minutes.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/22/2004  8:46 PM
Nazr averaged 9 pts,7 rebs, .93 blks in 24 mins.....

If given 30-34 mins is it safe to say that he could possibly get 12/10 and 1.5?

I think Nazr is as solid as we're gonna get at Center.....

There's Shaq, Brad Miller, Eddie Curry, Magloire, Dalembert, Ratliff, Big Z, Mark Blount, Dampier, Ben Wallace, Yao Ming, Lorenzen, Kaman, Nester.......

This is just an example....are any of these guys available for trade? Nope!

Nazr Mohammed was once a highly sought after free agent after he got traded to Atlanta....Nazr is not a big shot blocker but who is?

Nazr is going to be fine. Knicks just need a full training camp to really see what they have.....

Knicks have KT, Nazr, and Baker to man the 5....They also have JYD, KT, Sweets, and Baker to play the 4.....there aren't much minutes to go around....maybe Isiah might try to consolidate by doing a 2 for one trade.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/22/2004  10:06 PM
you see Enyspree,

that's exactly what I'd thought we'd be getting when Nazr came over from Atlanta. I looked at his numbers with the Hawks and thought man if given 30min a night he's get us a double-double for sure! But then you see him play and you realize he's nothing more than a solid backup center. He has too many holes in his game to be a starter. Huis defense stinks, can't block shots and has no offensive game other than the putbacks. At least Camby had quickness, defense and block shots. Nazr does nothing well but rebound. A good rebounder is only valuable when he can defend as well.
colorfl1
Canada
8/22/2004  10:24 PM
I don't care if Sweet is the next Barkley....
Barkley never one a championship (he never had a true center).
Our team has 5 PF and no centers. (several of them are unmovable for years to come.)
Sweet is valuable for his upside and his game.
You must give something of value to get something of value in return.

There is no way we can play all our PFs, so why not include Sweet, Nazir and future picks to snatch a defensive oriented center with potential like Dalembert.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/22/2004  11:50 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Those were all good decisions as were the decisions to get Marbury and Crawford and to take Sweetney off the IR and play him
MaTT4281
USA
8/22/2004  11:53 PM
We aren't serious contenders right now anyway, so what difference does it make if we take another year and either trade expiring contracts for a good center, or trade for a higher draft pick (if not just use our own) and draft a promising center.

It's absurd to have a guy like Sweetney, who could be a monster in the post, and go and trade him after only his rookie year. I still regret trading Lampe, no need to trade another young prospect who could end up haunting us later in his career.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/22/2004  11:56 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

The only decision that concerns me at this point is giving KT 4 years.
Bonn1997
USA
8/23/2004  12:00 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by BRIGGS:

The only decision that concerns me at this point is giving KT 4 years.
I'd rather have his contract have only two years left, but at least Isiah did re-sign him. It would have neen a mistake to lose him for nothing
MaTT4281
USA
8/23/2004  12:01 AM
KT for 4 years is not bad at all...especially for the price we got him at. You can only guess what he would be getting if Zeke had waited until the off season to sign him.

Barkley never one a championship

Just reread that post...are you gonna use that arguement on a knicks board? The team who drafted Patrick Ewing?
colorfl1
Canada
8/23/2004  12:14 AM
...(corrected)....Barkly never came close to a championship...(Ewing, at least was a Starks 3 away).
And so my point, maybe it is worth trading Sweet to obtain a young defensive oriented center.
Bonn1997
USA
8/23/2004  12:29 AM
Posted by colorfl1:

...(corrected)....Barkly never came close to a championship...(Ewing, at least was a Starks 3 away).
What? Did you forget that Barkley made it to the NBA finals??
Sweetney for a defensive center with an upside?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy