[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sweetney for a defensive center with an upside?
Author Thread
colorfl1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #731
Canada
8/22/2004  1:22 PM
Would you trade Sweetney in order to aquire a defensive center with a semi-promising upside?
Clearly, Sweetney is going to be a valuable player for years to come. He has a inside post game, great work ethic, he is aggressive around the rim and has an uncanny ability of getting to the ball. He is going to be a great part of any team's success... and as he matures he will be that much more polished and stronger.

But, the way our Knicks are configured... we have plenty of players who can play the PF position.... we need a rebounding defensive center who can be a presence in the middle and make easy high percentage shots and putback baskets.

If you are Zeke, would you sacrifice Sweetney and and Tim Thomas type for such a player?
AUTOADVERT
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
8/22/2004  1:25 PM
no way, i keep sweetney and let him develop... IMO this guy will be a monster on the boards in years to come and hopefully he will develop a low post game sometime in the near future
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
colorfl1
Canada
8/22/2004  1:43 PM
That is exactly why he is a tradable asset.
Our team has at least 5 PFs that I can think of and not one real center you can plug in with confidence.

I am so tired of watching you guys propose these lopsided and absurd trade proposals... other teams are not stupid..you must give up something of real value in order to get something with real value...

Zeke is going to make some surprising manuvers, but he is not going to rob anyone, all the GMs aroung the league are sick of his KOOLAID. They know he is savvy and they are scared of getting burnt by him.

If your the Knicks you can live with Kurt, Baker and JYD at the 4... but you are not going anywhere w/o a defensive center with some skills.

Sweet seems like our only realistic key to obtaining that sort of player, pair him with one of our many SFs and tell Shaq... with his chronicaly fragile feet... to bring it on!!!
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/22/2004  1:51 PM
Kurt is a great defensive center he just can't block shots.

No way I trade Sweetney, he might be one of many PFs but he's the only one who can score w/ his back to the basket.
#Knickstaps
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
8/22/2004  1:59 PM
You don't trade a potential dominant post player away. It doesn't matter how many pf's we have. In order for a team to have success in this league you've got to have some inside play. We are a jump shooting team. We live by the jumper and die by the jumper. You'd like to give up our ONLY chance for REAL dominant post play? Kurt Thomas and Nazr have no post game. Vin Baker is a has been that we're all HOPING returns to form. Sweetney is our only hope at the moment to create double teams inside to free up our wing players. Post play is what Marbs, Craw, H20 and TT is dreaming about as we speak.

Of course, we also need a defensive center who can move his feet, block shots and grab rebounds. But unless that center has a post game as well, it'd be a waste of time. We still live and die by the jumper.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
colorfl1
Canada
8/22/2004  2:04 PM
Charles Smith...uh.. Kurt Thomas Is Not A Center!!!

In a playoff game he would foul out 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter...
If you are a Knick fan that is tired of sucking, you must consider obtaining a promising young defensive center who can score around the hoop, and round out this team. That is if you really want a chance at competing in the playoffs... where run and gun will not make up for size. To win in the post season you need to slug it out with the half court game.

[Edited by - colorfl1 on 08/22/2004 14:09:41]
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
8/22/2004  2:30 PM
And who exactly is this defensive center with a semi-promising upside and why is the team trading him interested in Mike Sweetney?

You win with talent and right now Sweetney has shown he could be the most talented of the PFs we have. I hope we can move Kurt Thomas for a Defensive center with no upside
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/22/2004  2:42 PM
I want to trade mike sweetney for who? personally id like to keep ike sweetney and give him 35 minutes. forget jamal crawford and marbury for this team to be good Mike Sweetney has to play somewhat close to his SL perfromance---that means he needs 35 minutes+
RIP Crushalot😞
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/22/2004  2:46 PM
Ship out Sweetney and import Chandler. Or keep Sweetney and offer other quality bait.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/22/2004  2:51 PM
Posted by codeunknown:

Ship out Sweetney and import Chandler. Or keep Sweetney and offer other quality bait.
I dont know about Chandler but I am not completely opposed to the idea of trading Sweetney.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
colorfl1
Canada
8/22/2004  2:55 PM
Look, Zeke inherited a team that was horrably configured.

There are other teams in the league equally imbalanced. We have 5 servicable PFs and a wonderful asset in Sweet.

Other teams see the same things you guys do, they know sweet is a player...
centers who can fill up the lane and ball are a rarity in this league...
if Sweet is our key to obtaining such a player... a player with potential who will round out our team, play big D, clean up some boards and get some easy putbacks... I say we have to consider pulling the trigger.
Sweet is a great asset... but he is a luxury... we have at least 5 PFs... our team needs a ligit center with upside...
I say, you need to consider a trade with a team with another ill concieved roster.

Do you package sweet with another player to obtain him in order to make us a repectable playoff threat?
BRIGGS
8/22/2004  3:05 PM
were not getting chandler + why would chicago trade him? he's back in very solid shape from what I have read. maybe without crawford hogging the ball, there will be more movement and more emphasis to go inside
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
8/22/2004  3:09 PM
what guy are you talking about dude? what C and not chandler? we need to keep mike sweetney and let him develop and play big minutes. we have to much unkown and older players on the frontline---if we find a C it should be through the draft. hey isiah couldve gotten that New Jersey pick for 3mm$ --then they couldve drafted David Harrison. We couldve kept Lampe and still completed the Marbury trade. Isiah is the guy who hyped Nazr ---thats his guy.
RIP Crushalot😞
colorfl1
Canada
8/22/2004  3:36 PM
Briggs, Would you include Sweet, a pick and a SF in a deal that would bring Curry from the Bulls?
colorfl1
Canada
8/22/2004  3:40 PM
would you ship Sweet and a pick for Dalambert?
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/22/2004  3:59 PM
The Knicks can't trade a first rounder until the contingency required to send a first round pick to Phoenix for Marbury is met.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
8/22/2004  4:01 PM
Posted by colorfl1:

would you ship Sweet and a pick for Dalambert?

Philly would never do that trade. You just don't give up a young center who has ton of potential like he has.

[Edited by - s3231 on 08/22/2004 16:01:57]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
colorfl1
Canada
8/22/2004  4:13 PM
We need a real center.
I believe Sweet, Nazir, and TT should all be packaged to get one.
If we need to take back a bad contract in the process, so be it.
If it can get us a Dalembert or Curry it is well with it.

And I have no problem sending away future first round picks with it if we get youth in return. First rounders are no sure thing any more (if they ever really were), they are usually really raw, young and the drop off after the fiirst 5 picks is usually huge.

Zeke has got to get us a young defensive center and use Sweet and Nazir and some picks to do it.

[Edited by - colorfl1 on 08/22/2004 16:16:10]
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/22/2004  4:26 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

I dont know about Chandler but I am not completely opposed to the idea of trading Sweetney.

Yeah, I figured some of you would say that. Look, Chandler is like one of those firecrackers that fizzles like a dud and then BAAMMM!!!! it just went off in your face and you're kicking and screaming and you can't see and your hair's on fire. Get him before he explodes.

Rip, Chandler is going to be next to impossible to get, but offer up Sweetney, Kurt, maybe a pick for Chandler and Pippen and fodder - there's a chance they'll bite. There are plenty of combinations. If Paxson declines, what can you do, offer something for Kwame.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/22/2004  4:35 PM
Give sweet time to reach that potential.

Let him do it here.

Give this thing time guys. We cannot become a complete team. In a short time we made great strides to be configured properly. JVG bolted becasue of our inability to field decent players at critical postitions.

Isiah is not a god for goodness sakes. He gets props for a good job but it will still take time. We are not desparate.
Sweetney for a defensive center with an upside?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy