[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

International rules
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/22/2004  11:58 AM
Its time for the NBA to switch over to international rule. I think its a better brand of basketball. Our national team can really use the change it would really help everyone. Except maybe the streeballer who play with out rules. Thats what the NBA is right now a league of rules set to make certain players superstars so they can sell products.
AUTOADVERT
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
8/22/2004  12:13 PM
The NBA actually have zone D which is big in international play. The difference I see is that most international players shoot the ball better than most NBA players. Sad but true.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/22/2004  12:16 PM
I disagree, I think the NBA and FIBA need to get together and make a universal set of rules so people throughout the world can play basketball the same way. I don't think it's a bad thing the US is losing, I love seeing basketball being the 2nd most popular sport in the world. How intense would it be if every 2 years (Olympics and World Championships) we got to see our best versus the World's best with universal rules.

Rules I would modify:
1) Use the NBA 3-point line. It's farther back, and more talent should be needed to hit that long shot than the shorter one.
2) Decide on which ball. The FIBA ball is an inch wider and weighs more, just decide which one you use so players can play with them all over.
3) Make the court bigger in FIBA rules. This enables fast breaks to start and makes it tougher for teams to get back on D.
4) Make the lane wider in the NBA. This is a great FIBA rule. The big men can't just camp out downlow. Now they'd need a nice mid-range game or they wouldn't be effective.
5) Longer quarters. Please, give us a 48-minute game. It's more exciting to have the longer game becuase you get to fit more basketball in it.
6) Make universal substitution and refereeing rules. FIBA has different than the NBA. I don't care which are picked, just make them the same all over.
7) I'd outlaw the zone. I think this is such a cheap way to defend other teams. Let players who have the ability to break down a guy on D do that. The zone is such a cop out. Someone mentioned in another thread how defense is about TEAM. It still would be without a zone. Help defense, defensive rotations, etc., these are all things that good defensive teams would do well. With the zone, the basic pick and roll can't even be used, it's a travashamockery. Along with the zone I'd outlaw the isolation up until the last 2:00 of each game. Then players can attempt to take games over, but until then, you need to play team-oriented offense with screens, rolls, give-and-gos, the whole 9 yards. I really compare the zone to playing 30 fielders in a bsaeball game. A shortstop wouldn't be able to show how good he was if there was a fielder between him and third base and him and second base. He'd need no range or mobility, just the ability to field the grounder and throw. I see the zone as the same way. Players athleticism, which is a huge part of basketball, is de-emphasized becuase less-athletic players play a good zone. Get rid of it, it'll make everybody become better defenders. International teams are hiding their best player (who double as hideous defenders) in a zone. That shouldn't happen, to play basketball you have to play both ways, that's what's so great about it.

I'd love to see a universal game throughout the world, then basketball would grow and I'd be an even bigger fan.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 08/22/2004 12:25:20]
#Knickstaps
Vmart
USA
8/22/2004  1:20 PM
Posted by KNICKSdom:

The NBA actually have zone D which is big in international play. The difference I see is that most international players shoot the ball better than most NBA players. Sad but true.

The NBA zone is very weak. The three point line is further which makes a compact zone difficult which international rules tend to promote. and another thing is that the big man has to make way for a defensive three second which results in the parting of the red sea. The international rules doesn't have a defensive three second call.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/22/2004  1:27 PM
We did not send our best players. I am pretty sure we would blow everyone out if we send
C Shaq
PF Duncan
SF Garnett
SG McGrady/Kobe
PG Kidd
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Vmart
USA
8/22/2004  5:55 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

We did not send our best players. I am pretty sure we would blow everyone out if we send
C Shaq
PF Duncan
SF Garnett
SG McGrady/Kobe
PG Kidd

I'm not to sure the NBA would blow anyone out. The last team was very strong and they just manage to get by Lituainia team 85-83. So I don't think sending Shaq a non-skill player to the game would have made much of a difference in these out comes maybe they win the two losses but I don't think it would be a blow out. I think the other teams are here to stay.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/22/2004  6:29 PM
I am sure other teams are imporving but I still think the NBA has so much talent we would destroy any opposition. I am almost convinced that a team of Shaq, Duncan, McGrady, Redd and Stephon would win every single game by a double digit lead.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
rojasmas
Member: #639
8/22/2004  9:52 PM
I don't know if the NBA stars- Shag, Kobe,Garnett,TMac would blow other teams out either. It is at least an All-NBA third team that is there now and they aren't looking real good. It is embarassing to say the least. The ball is still round and the basket is ten feet. No refs are out to get them, just not out to help our stars get to the foul line when someone breathes on them like in the NBA. So we have to stop making alibis and face the music. Our NBA champion is USA champion, not champions of the world until we regain our lost superiority.
While it isn't easy to form a cohesive unit in such a short time, these guys should be head and shoulders above the competition.
It also made me laugh in today's paper that the guy who scored 28 points wasn't even offered the NBA minumum for a contract. He said if 30 teams say you can't play then I guess you can't play. I think he said it with tongue firmly planted in cheek. NBA scouts who let the Fred Hoiberg types on a roster should rethink with that guy. I would give you his name but I am not by a paper and does it really matter.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
manilaballer
Member: #521
Philippines
8/22/2004  11:22 PM
I think his name is Sarunas Jasekavicius (sp?). He's the same guy who missed the final 3pt shot that could've won the game vs. USA in Sydney. He sure got his revenge this time, I think he scored 3 straight treys (one being a 4-pt play) in the 4th Q vs. USA.

KNICKS 2006
International rules

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy