[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who would you add to our olympic team?
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
8/22/2004  8:43 PM
On the 2002 USA World Championship team (the "dream team" that lost 3 games), we had reigning defensive POTY Ben Wallace, along with tough-guy big men Brand and Antonio Davis. We had the shot-blocking Jermaine O'Neal. We had some players considered tough defenders like Finley and Marion... at least 1 REAL PG in Andre Miller, and a Marbury equivalent in Baron Davis... plus the young (healthy) Jay Williams. Davis, Miller, and Pierce are certainly guys accustomed to shooting from outside.

It didn't work then either.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
manilaballer
Member: #521
Philippines
8/22/2004  11:26 PM
Paul Pierce
KNICKS 2006
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/23/2004  8:44 AM
Uday, Saddams son.

He can be the trainer. They can play with cement basketballs. LOL

Freakin Iraq soccer team mouthing off they don't want to be promoted by Bush admin. One guy even said his brother is a militia and he would be too if not playing soccer. Maybe they forgot "Uday" so fast or miss his daddy. THey don't have to kiss our butts, but a little gratidude even in private would be nice. Uday used to throw guys off bridges and make them kick a cement ball when they lost.

ANd we thought bobby knight was bad???

TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/23/2004  10:33 AM
Tim Duncan is being triple teamed down low as it is...w/o any outside shooters to keep the defenses honest, teams will collapse & clog the lane on every set...so having another big guy or another penetrating slasher type player doesn't really do much of anything...they need a shooter 1st & foremost...& contrary to those who want a Michael Redd or Brent Barry, i think a bigman who can shoot from the outside would be MUCH more valuable because he would draw his man to the perimeter & help open up the lanes for guys like Marbury, Iverson, Wade & Lebron to do their thing by penetrating & creating scoring opportunities for everyone else.

a veteran bigman like Karl Malone who can provide veteran leadership to these young guys, a consistent midrange perimeter shooting threat (the international 3 point line is w/in his range), a physical defensive presence down low, & a respected figure throughout the world of basketball internationally as well, would be an invaluable addition to this team imho.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/23/2004  11:22 AM
Posted by TMS:

Tim Duncan is being triple teamed down low as it is...w/o any outside shooters to keep the defenses honest, teams will collapse & clog the lane on every set...so having another big guy or another penetrating slasher type player doesn't really do much of anything...they need a shooter 1st & foremost...& contrary to those who want a Michael Redd or Brent Barry, i think a bigman who can shoot from the outside would be MUCH more valuable because he would draw his man to the perimeter & help open up the lanes for guys like Marbury, Iverson, Wade & Lebron to do their thing by penetrating & creating scoring opportunities for everyone else.

a veteran bigman like Karl Malone who can provide veteran leadership to these young guys, a consistent midrange perimeter shooting threat (the international 3 point line is w/in his range), a physical defensive presence down low, & a respected figure throughout the world of basketball internationally as well, would be an invaluable addition to this team imho.
Where's Wallace?!
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/23/2004  12:55 PM
1) Ray Allen
2) Michael Redd
3) Richard Hamilton
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/23/2004  12:59 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by TMS:

Where's Wallace?!

Rasheed would have been a good choice as well, but for his temperament...the US is so paranoid about not giving off the wrong image...you don't want Rasheed's bad temper to rear its ugly head in a Gold Medal game...i think Malone would have been a better choice because he was a part of the original Dream Team & has respect from players all over the world...he'd be a better leader as well.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/23/2004  1:57 PM
up until 6 mos ago RashWeed was still a nut job.

Someone say Mashburn? Dude can't even run with his knees.

Another pick doing very well overseas is the Alaskan Assasian, Trajen Langdon. Can shoot the daylights out.

ITs Team USA, not Team NBA!

rain
Member: #353
USA
8/23/2004  2:17 PM
Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton would be Ideal with Redd a close third.
rojasmas
Member: #639
8/23/2004  11:07 PM
Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton both turned down invitations, so you can't blame the committee for their absence. But Redd and Paul Pierce might have been good.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/23/2004  11:31 PM
As much as this team needs shooters, I'd have a hard time not picking Shaq. I think even if he were double or tripple teamed down low, he could overpower these thin international players and score a ton of points, block a lot of shots, grab a ton of rebound, and get everyone on the opposing team in foul trouble.
Actually, now that I think about, I think Shaq's shooting might help this team
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/24/2004  6:22 AM
If the defense collapses on Duncan, he does not have to kick it out to a shooter. He could kick it out to a slasher who could drive closer to the hoop.

THe US team is just not playing hard right now. I personally dislike players like Allen Iverson and don't think he should be on the team. Lebron and Carmello should play more.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/24/2004  9:06 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
As much as this team needs shooters, I'd have a hard time not picking Shaq. I think even if he were double or tripple teamed down low, he could overpower these thin international players and score a ton of points, block a lot of shots, grab a ton of rebound, and get everyone on the opposing team in foul trouble.

You know what... that's an interesting point. Even without great shooters, having Shaq and Duncan on at the same time, as it would create a ton of open shots, and then our shooting would've looked pretty good.

I actually kind of like it as-is, though. The games are actually exciting, and we actually have a chance to lose. The competition is nice.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/24/2004  9:29 AM
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:

You know what... that's an interesting point. Even without great shooters, having Shaq and Duncan on at the same time, as it would create a ton of open shots, and then our shooting would've looked pretty good.

I actually kind of like it as-is, though. The games are actually exciting, and we actually have a chance to lose. The competition is nice.
Just a personal preference I guess, but unlike most people, I enjoy--actually I love--seeing the team I'm rooting for in sports blow out the opponent. I would love to see this year's team playing as well as the original dream team.
Who would you add to our olympic team?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy