[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I really don't think Marbury played bad against Lithuania:
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/21/2004  11:54 PM
His job was to distribute to teammates, and I thought he did a pretty good job doing that, and setting up the ball movement (Which I thought was pretty good today.) I don't think it was totally his fault, when he got caught in that screen and roll either. That was a huge screen, and Duncan didn't step up to challenge the shot.

Granted, he did miss a few shots, but that is what will happen to a player, who is primarily a scorer, when he is deprived of so many shots. He will be taken out of his rhythm at times. Sometimes, you just can't find the hoop. I thought he did a good job being the PG though.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/22/2004  12:04 AM
good point...he seems very uncomfortable in that system
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/22/2004  12:34 AM
His jump shot was obviously bad, but I think his approach to the game was exactly what you'd want. (I only saw the second half, BTW.) He tried to get teammates involved and the shots he did take were good, open shots; he just couldn't hit them. The decision making was good.
Bonn1997
USA
8/22/2004  12:35 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

good point...he seems very uncomfortable in that system
He does seem uncomfortable being asked to be the team's 9th best scorer. That's not a role he'll ever come close to having in the NBA.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/22/2004 00:42:27]
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/22/2004  12:54 AM
mike Bibby would have been the better selection for this team. his style of play is more conducive than marbury's for interntaional ball. Hes a better shooter from the outside and is adept at being a team player in this style. Marbury is hesitant and seems off-balance alot. It's likely that Brown has had something to do with it, but Marbury has ben very dissapointing in these games. If you are a Knick fan or not, you have to be critical of his play. His counter parts are controlling games and scoring in the 20s. His defense has been porous. Marbury is just made for the nBA game--thats why I dont agree with some people comparing his play here to his NBA game. This is a different game and the taller guards from other teams are able to really shoot right over the top of him.

I think if this team had Bibby instead of Marbury, we would definitely win. Bibby was the third leading scorer in the qualifying phase at the PG.
RIP Crushalot😞
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
8/22/2004  1:30 AM
Hmm... Didn't Bibby decline the spot?

I think Marbury is doing okay--- I'm not sure what the role of Dwayne Wade is on the team, cuz he's not really a PG at all-- it's like having another Iverson with less game.

Having Iverson on the team at SG really jumbles up our size--- given that, maybe Lebron should be playing PG when Iverson is on the floor. Or ideally, any number of our wing players should be playing bigger minutes at SG.

The small backcourt puts a lot of strain on the defense of the team. I'm still amazed at how many 3's we allow our opponents to take, given that they're making them at an outlandish clip. Guard the guys outside, and take your chances with Boozer/Duncan/Okafor/Odom blocking their men inside. I don't know...

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Bonn1997
USA
8/22/2004  8:44 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

mike Bibby would have been the better selection for this team.
He was selected. He accepted and then chickened out later.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/22/2004  9:05 AM
I agree w/ Briggs but Marbs has sucked plain and simple. That being said (like Jefferson did yesterday) I still look for him to break out. He's got too much talent NOT to be able to adjust
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
8/22/2004  9:42 AM
Posted by fishmike:

I agree w/ Briggs but Marbs has sucked plain and simple. That being said (like Jefferson did yesterday) I still look for him to break out. He's got too much talent NOT to be able to adjust
His shooting has sucked plain and simple, but I don't have a problem with his decision making. I think he's taking good shots; he's just getting bad results.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/22/2004  10:54 AM
In the 1st half Marbury was looking for his own shot and taking some questionable shots before looking to set up the offense. I remember Doug Collins questioning him at least once for that.

Marbury took 14 shots, and missed 12 of them, so how can people say that he's just adjusting to playing team ball and setting up his teammates instead of looking for his own shot?

Does anybody else find it problematic that he's having this much trouble "adjusting" to being a team first PG, especially with all this talent around him? Isn't that what a point guard is supposed to be?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/22/2004  11:13 AM
It's not adjusting to being a team first PG, it's adjusting to the international style of rules with the zone. Being a PG against a zone is much more difficult than the style he plays at in the NBA.

He had 3 assists, there were 3 plays were he led a great fastbreak and Jefferson got fouled and didn't connect. He should've had 6 assists, RJ just screwed them up.

Of the 14 shots he took, I'd say at least 5 or 6 of them were the ball being passed to him with a second left on the clock and him having to throw up a prayer.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/22/2004  11:13 AM
i dont see it as problematic because the international game is different. Everyone shoots and passes.. thats the game. There is no dribble penetration, which is clearly Marbury's greatest skill.

In HS Marbury took his team to a title by elevating his team off of his one on one play. He was unstoppable in one year in school doing the same thing. Only one other player in the history of the NBA has averaged 20/8. He's been playing a certain way for more than 10 years and doing it at a high level. I dont see why struggling to be a completely differnt type of player after 3 weeks of practice is problematic.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
8/22/2004  11:23 AM
I think Fish and Bigsmooth hit the nail on the head. Marbury hasn't had any trouble over the last few years in the NBA being a team first, pass first PG and I don't think that's going to start now just because he, along with many other NBA stars, is struggling in Athens.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/22/2004  1:36 PM
Posted by islesfan:

In the 1st half Marbury was looking for his own shot and taking some questionable shots before looking to set up the offense. I remember Doug Collins questioning him at least once for that.

Marbury took 14 shots, and missed 12 of them, so how can people say that he's just adjusting to playing team ball and setting up his teammates instead of looking for his own shot?

Does anybody else find it problematic that he's having this much trouble "adjusting" to being a team first PG, especially with all this talent around him? Isn't that what a point guard is supposed to be?

Dude, who cares about the stats? He was STILL setting up teammates. And for most of the game, team USA was winning, b/c of his team ball. But b/c even though RJ got hot, it was evident the needed another shooter, and they needed to improve the defense on the 3 ball. Plus, the defense of Lithuania became really tight. I don't really blame this loss on Marbury. This gsme is not a cause for concern. If you are concerned from this game, you need to change your thinking. Marbury is as good a PG we can get. Be thankful.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/22/2004  1:41 PM
forget bibby or any other point guard. the only reason we're losing these games is b/c we have NO outside threat. two players that would've solved this is micheal redd or wally sczerbiak. having one or both, these games would'nt even be close.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/22/2004  3:27 PM
Id rather have my shooter as the PG. While it is important he sets up plays and moves the team--he also has the ball the most. The PG hitting shots is very important. Look at all the good teams in the Olympics--all of their PG are scoring big points. It would be nice to have a ray Allen a Kobe etc...thats for sure, but right now Mike Bibby would make a world of difference. The USA team isnt getting anything from Marbury which has been dissapointing--hes getting killed by his counter parts.
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/23/2004  12:37 AM
fair enough. marbury has been pretty bad and i don't think he's getting anything isiah hoped he would out of this experience. i'm hoping he comes back strong in the next game, for usa's sake.
I really don't think Marbury played bad against Lithuania:

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy