Can KP start at Center?
Author Thread
colorfl1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #731
Canada
6/28/2017  10:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2017  11:03 PM
Hornacek likes to play faster.
If KP plays center we can speed up our offence by moving Mello to the 4.
Kuzminskas, Thomas, Ndour and even Lee can play the 3 --- allowing us to focus on acquiring/ featuring 2 fast guards <who can play D>.
This would dramatically overall the defensive and offensive balance of the starting 5.
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/28/2017  10:42 PM
who knows what this roster will end up looking like come october
ES
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/28/2017  11:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2017  11:12 PM
I fully expect porzingis to move to center.
TLover
Member: #381
USA
6/28/2017  11:25 PM
In the type of offense Hornachek ran with the suns KP would be the perfect center. Remember he had Channing Frye looking like a star hitting all those threes. Whereas he had Markieff Morris at the 4 which is a poor mans Melo.

KP at 5 & Melo at 4 is the way to go. We need a defensive/rebounding machine at sf (like a Gerald Wallace type) Despite his age (31) I can see the Knicks making a run at Kyle Lowery but would rather a younger guy. D.Rose on a good deal might work after we renounce his rights. I'd still try to get Ricky Rubio for Courtney Lee and use free agent $ to get a shooter/defensive wing player. Hopefully this 2nd rounder Dotson can do something bc he's the protypixsl 3 & D SG.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/29/2017  7:36 AM
Just in the NBA in general, he is the perfect center for today's game.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
6/29/2017  7:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2017  7:46 AM
TLover wrote:In the type of offense Hornachek ran with the suns KP would be the perfect center. Remember he had Channing Frye looking like a star hitting all those threes. Whereas he had Markieff Morris at the 4 which is a poor mans Melo.

KP at 5 & Melo at 4 is the way to go. We need a defensive/rebounding machine at sf (like a Gerald Wallace type) Despite his age (31) I can see the Knicks making a run at Kyle Lowery but would rather a younger guy. D.Rose on a good deal might work after we renounce his rights. I'd still try to get Ricky Rubio for Courtney Lee and use free agent $ to get a shooter/defensive wing player. Hopefully this 2nd rounder Dotson can do something bc he's the protypixsl 3 & D SG.

Melo is awful. He cannot play D anymore. He takes possessions and games off. KP and Melo at the 5/4 is not good for D or offensive rebounding.

This team needs to improve defensively first and foremost. The offense will come with or without Melo.

Lowry is too old for this group. Rubio is a better choice but I would still prefer to stay with the rebuild and play Baker/Randle and Ntilikina. Let them learn on the job!

If you can keep Holiday, I would go with:

Willy
KP
Holiday
Lee
Baker

Kuz/Lance
Nitlikina/Randle
Dotson
KOQ
Noah

Chandler
Member: #6197

6/29/2017  7:52 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:
TLover wrote:In the type of offense Hornachek ran with the suns KP would be the perfect center. Remember he had Channing Frye looking like a star hitting all those threes. Whereas he had Markieff Morris at the 4 which is a poor mans Melo.

Melo is awful. He cannot play D anymore. He takes possessions and games off. KP and Melo at the 5/4 is not good for D or offensive rebounding.

This team needs to improve defensively first and foremost. The offense will come with or without Melo.

Lowry is too old for this group. Rubio is a better choice but I would still prefer to stay with the rebuild and play Baker/Randle and Ntilikina. Let them learn on the job!

Willy
KP
Holiday
Lee
Baker

Kuz/Lance
Nitlikina/Randle
Dotson
KOQ
Noah

I think pgs more than any other position need a mentor

I don't mind a FA pg as long as he can contribute on and off the court.

(5)(5)
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/29/2017  7:53 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

Willy
KP
Holiday
Lee
Baker

Kuz/Lance
Nitlikina/Randle
Dotson
KOQ
Noah

You started off talking about improving the defense, then you place Willy and KP in the same front court at the same time....Both struggled defensively when paired together...KP needs to be groomed as a center, as it would limit the times he would spend chasing quicker PF's on the perimeter. Until further notice, Melo is a Knick and and probably should spend at least half of his minutes playing PF. I agree that Melo isn't a good defensive player either but Melo had his best season in the league playing minutes at PF.

GoNyGoNyGo
USA
6/29/2017  7:56 AM
Chandler wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

Willy
KP
Holiday
Lee
Baker

Kuz/Lance
Nitlikina/Randle
Dotson
KOQ
Noah

I think pgs more than any other position need a mentor

I don't mind a FA pg as long as he can contribute on and off the court.

I can understand that. Then Rubio would be my choice over Lowry or Teague. Lowry is a win now type player. Teague never impressed, imo. Rubio fits much better.

Rubio costs you Lee most likely, so then the SG position would need attention. Holiday if he sticks could play there

Rubio
Holiday
Lance
KP
Willy

Rande/Nitlikina
Baker
Kuz
KOQ
NOah

GoNyGoNyGo
USA
6/29/2017  8:00 AM
Uptown wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

Willy
KP
Holiday
Lee
Baker

Kuz/Lance
Nitlikina/Randle
Dotson
KOQ
Noah

You started off talking about improving the defense, then you place Willy and KP in the same front court at the same time....Both struggled defensively when paired together...KP needs to be groomed as a center, as it would limit the times he would spend chasing quicker PF's on the perimeter. Until further notice, Melo is a Knick and and probably should spend at least half of his minutes playing PF. I agree that Melo isn't a good defensive player either but Melo had his best season in the league playing minutes at PF.

You may be right. The problem is that Willy is a 5. Kp is a hybrid 4/5. You could start KOQ as the 4 but he cant chase guys either.

I don't plan on Melo. Even if he is here, he should not be around the team.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

6/29/2017  8:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2017  8:06 AM
Yes I think for sure the longterm plan from KP's camp and the team is to move him to 5.
He's adding muscle and strength over this summer.
He doesn't seem like he wants to work in the post that much. While he wants to add some game he seems more in love with the idea of being that unique 7'3 guard out on the perimeter with shooting and driving skills.

Just from an attack guard perspective, off the dribble, pulling up for 3 pointers. Pick and pop or pick and roll with the point guard. Easier to do this as a 5 than 4.

Willy should focus on being the best 6th man in the league. With having Willy, we keep KP's minutes down which should be around 30 anyway. That C rotation is pretty special. One guy that beats you up from the outside, other comes in and beats you up from the inside.

Defensively I think even KP is an easier fit for 5.

I would have liked to have seen Willy and KP play together, but it definitely doesn't look like it will materialize now.

mlby1215
Member: #6486

6/29/2017  8:08 AM
How can he not play center now? Is Melo going to play center? Melo has to play a lot of mins and if he play PF then KP has to play C. It is only one way.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/29/2017  8:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2017  8:21 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

Willy
KP
Holiday
Lee
Baker

Kuz/Lance
Nitlikina/Randle
Dotson
KOQ
Noah

You may be right. The problem is that Willy is a 5. Kp is a hybrid 4/5. You could start KOQ as the 4 but he cant chase guys either.

I get that you don't like the guy, but we just got rid of Phil because he helped establish the toxic culture here. If Melo is still here, you do not bench your best player. If you do, it'll be another PR nightmare and his teammates will no stand for it. It could divide the team. I was one of the main posters here calling for the firing of phil months ago. With that said, I was never in the Either/Or camp. I've been Both/And for a while. I think the Knicks should still move Melo but that's easier said than done. If he's still here, you play him.

As for Willy, its okay to have him come off the bench...He can still get valuable minutes as the first big off the bench. As we are presently constructed, as bad as Melo may be defensively, he is still out best bet at the 4. We do not need to see KOQ chasing around pf's. That would be a night mare...

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/29/2017  9:56 AM
KP will decide if he wants to play center or not. Who are you guys to tell KP what to do.
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
6/29/2017  10:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2017  10:02 AM
I think it needs to happen. It moves Melo to the 4 where he is a matchup problem for other teams. Melo really can't guard 3s..he's better off against 4s defensively too. KP's quickness and handle would give him an offensive advantage at 5. We should have been running this for a while now.
Chandler

6/29/2017  10:08 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Yes I think for sure the longterm plan from KP's camp and the team is to move him to 5.
He's adding muscle and strength over this summer.
He doesn't seem like he wants to work in the post that much. While he wants to add some game he seems more in love with the idea of being that unique 7'3 guard out on the perimeter with shooting and driving skills.

Just from an attack guard perspective, off the dribble, pulling up for 3 pointers. Pick and pop or pick and roll with the point guard. Easier to do this as a 5 than 4.

Willy should focus on being the best 6th man in the league. With having Willy, we keep KP's minutes down which should be around 30 anyway. That C rotation is pretty special. One guy that beats you up from the outside, other comes in and beats you up from the inside.

Defensively I think even KP is an easier fit for 5.

I would have liked to have seen Willy and KP play together, but it definitely doesn't look like it will materialize now.

I get the KP/Willy tandem concern. Wondering however if things would be different with better perimeter defense from our guards and sf? KP's biggest criticism was on closeouts, and that may have been a result of him parking in the paint a little deeper than he would need to be with better defenders on the team. His opponent's fg% was stellar, and of course there's the shot blocking

In any event I wouldn't be so quick to give up on that tandem

(5)(5)
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

6/29/2017  10:22 AM
I was under the impression that KP was going to eventually become a center, after he matured a bit physically, Who knows what's going to happen now. I do agree that he is the perfect 5 for the NBA today
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/29/2017  10:27 AM
A good PG will make the most of KP at center, lots of easy flushes. Make Porzingis have to work less to get good looks. And KP needs some good post moves at the ready.
GoNyGoNyGo
USA
6/29/2017  11:47 AM
Uptown wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

Willy
KP
Holiday
Lee
Baker

Kuz/Lance
Nitlikina/Randle
Dotson
KOQ
Noah

I get that you don't like the guy, but we just got rid of Phil because he helped establish the toxic culture here. If Melo is still here, you do not bench your best player. If you do, it'll be another PR nightmare and his teammates will no stand for it. It could divide the team. I was one of the main posters here calling for the firing of phil months ago. With that said, I was never in the Either/Or camp. I've been Both/And for a while. I think the Knicks should still move Melo but that's easier said than done. If he's still here, you play him.

As for Willy, its okay to have him come off the bench...He can still get valuable minutes as the first big off the bench. As we are presently constructed, as bad as Melo may be defensively, he is still out best bet at the 4. We do not need to see KOQ chasing around pf's. That would be a night mare...

We will see if he is here. I guess they are still going to try and trade him.

I am hopeful they do. Hopefully, they can get a pick and a reasonably decent player out of it. Cap space would be a bonus.

I think Willy and KP can play together but they need a good perimeter Defenders with them. KP is a good rim protector and Willy can rebound well.

In any case, KP and Willy are a good problem to have. Talent and size.

Chandler

6/29/2017  2:27 PM
GustavBahler wrote:A good PG will make the most of KP at center, lots of easy flushes. Make Porzingis have to work less to get good looks. And KP needs some good post moves at the ready.

for the life of me I can't figure out why he hasn't already developed a little baby hook. He's got great touch -- should be a near layup quality shot for him

(5)(5)
Can KP start at Center?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy