[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The case for Jeff Teague
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
6/29/2017  5:44 PM
Hornets are not resigning Ramon Sessions. That would be a good get/stop gap in my opinion.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
reub
Member: #6227

6/29/2017  6:31 PM
I remember Teague getting outplayed by Sasha one game so that has tainted my opinion of the man.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

6/29/2017  6:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2017  6:36 PM
Teague would make a difference. Some forget he is just one year removed from a very good year in which he was seen as one of the top PG's in the league. Taking away Rose and Phil will add to the team dynamic. Think players will step up their effort level and try to show that they were not as bad as last years record. Think it would translate to more wins. However, I dont see Melo coming back. Think that he is finally listening to everyone around him telling him he needs to be on a winning team. And if that is the case, think signing a small forward will be more of a need. Will be interesting to see how the team plays without Melo and if KP is up for the challenge.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Welpee
Member: #6239

6/29/2017  8:35 PM
My interest is Teague is totally dependent upon how much we would have to pay him. If we have to pay him Conley-like money...pass.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/29/2017  8:50 PM
Teague is 29. We sign him maybe we are a 40 win team maybe not. Would ruin our chances at a high lotto pick while not being good enough to really compete. By the time we are able to add enough talent to really compete Teague will be past prime and all he would have done was kill our shot at a high lotto pick. We need one more high lotto pick to add to this group before we attempt to sign guys like Teague.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/29/2017  9:14 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Teague is 29. We sign him maybe we are a 40 win team maybe not. Would ruin our chances at a high lotto pick while not being good enough to really compete. By the time we are able to add enough talent to really compete Teague will be past prime and all he would have done was kill our shot at a high lotto pick. We need one more high lotto pick to add to this group before we attempt to sign guys like Teague.

Heck, he is 29. Small point guards who rely on speed usually hit the wall after 30. There's no telling if his decline doesn't begin the moment he signs.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
6/29/2017  9:42 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Hornets are not resigning Ramon Sessions. That would be a good get/stop gap in my opinion.

Sessions is not good anymore, if he ever was, but I would not mind him on a one year deal to allow Frank to comeback alone slowly.

Trust the Process
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

6/30/2017  7:40 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:Does Jeff Teague move the needle? I'm not sure what the analytics suggest but if he wins us ball games, I'd pass. But I do think he'd be a nice little stop gap until Ntilikina can take the reigns.

I think Teague played all 82 games last season, that moves the needle somewhat. He would be a stop gap, but a decent one.

I'm just a little weary of taking on guys like that because their value seems to get undercut, not playing for a team that is playoff caliber. Look at what happened to our very own Courtney Lee. He went from a player that was key in a trade that fetch'd the Magic a still-very-good Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson during his roomie season, to a guy that was being basically dumped by non-playoff/middling teams like the Nets and Rockets after he was more appropriately paid. I think the market for soon-to-be-30 year old PGs that are relient on their speed- especially in a market unsaturated with PGs- is not very good.

So if we commit to Teague, we better make sure he is nothing more than a placeholder because if he helps to put us into playoff contention and we play ourselves out of the lottery, I don't think he'd be readily moved, at market value, to then help facilitate a tank.

NardDogNation

6/30/2017  7:54 AM
Welpee wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Honestly, we should be aiming for a top 5 pick next year, not a top 5 spot in the East.
We're not getting on Boston or Cleveland level with keeping Melo and adding Teague.

We need to rebuild and focus on young players getting better on both sides of the ball.

I'd start Ntilikina or Baker next year, if I can't get a young start at point guard.

If we want to keep KP, I believe the team has to make a good faith effort to make the playoffs. This team needs some winning badly to attract FAs as well. Teague for a couple of seasons would be around for the rest of KP's rookie deal.

Tanking makes sense on paper, but I believe this team needs a large dose of optimism to turn help turn things around, and make players more willing to play here, to stay here.

That's a very good point. All of these tank advocates seem to think our good young talent (i.e. KP) will just hang around during all of this losing and won't look elsewhere. I would rather have the team try to make some smart trades, try to acquire picks AND sign some quality free agent WHILE trying to be competitive. Tanking is very overrated in my opinion. We have our centerpiece in KP, now lets build around him.

How many seasons did any of the top teams this year tank? And the teams that's the poster child for tanking (Philly) has yet to see the results of their losing seasons. It still remains to be seen if their strategy will work so why emulate them?

Philly has three guys that either had been (Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz) or would have been (Joel Embiid) no.1 overall picks. I think their tanking was well worth it when you consider how talented those guys are when healthy.

As far as tanking is concerned, it has it's merits if properly executed especially when you are not a free agent destination like we are. Poorly run teams continually make the foolish decision to pivot away from investing in the lottery whenever they are able to identify a star-caliber team, which inevitably leads to that same star leaving. That list includes the likes of LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Dwight Howard (Magic) and soon enough Anthony Davis as well as Paul George.

If the Magic tanked the 2004-2005 season and gotten Deron Williams or Chris Paul instead of Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, does Dwight Howard want to leave Orlando? If the Pelicans managed to pair Anthony Davis with Giannias Antetokounmpo (instead of Jrue Holiday), wohld there be any murmurs of Davis leaving New Orleans?

We need to avoid being those teams are tank at least once more, to ensure we have a worthwhile core to satisfy all parties. It is a necessary evil that serves a long-term good.

NardDogNation

6/30/2017  7:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2017  8:04 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Hornets are not resigning Ramon Sessions. That would be a good get/stop gap in my opinion.

I was about to say that I like him but "he's not a triangle guy" before I caught myself and instantly felt better about the future, lol. I'd love to add Sessions and would rank him ahead of Teague since he'd be cheaper and is more interested in getting people the ball. That latter point would bode better for the development of our young players.

NardDogNation

6/30/2017  8:02 AM
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
Welpee wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Honestly, we should be aiming for a top 5 pick next year, not a top 5 spot in the East.
We're not getting on Boston or Cleveland level with keeping Melo and adding Teague.

We need to rebuild and focus on young players getting better on both sides of the ball.

I'd start Ntilikina or Baker next year, if I can't get a young start at point guard.

If we want to keep KP, I believe the team has to make a good faith effort to make the playoffs. This team needs some winning badly to attract FAs as well. Teague for a couple of seasons would be around for the rest of KP's rookie deal.

Tanking makes sense on paper, but I believe this team needs a large dose of optimism to turn help turn things around, and make players more willing to play here, to stay here.

That's a very good point. All of these tank advocates seem to think our good young talent (i.e. KP) will just hang around during all of this losing and won't look elsewhere. I would rather have the team try to make some smart trades, try to acquire picks AND sign some quality free agent WHILE trying to be competitive. Tanking is very overrated in my opinion. We have our centerpiece in KP, now lets build around him.

How many seasons did any of the top teams this year tank? And the teams that's the poster child for tanking (Philly) has yet to see the results of their losing seasons. It still remains to be seen if their strategy will work so why emulate them?

Now that one toxin has been removed, its time to remove the other (as well as Rose) and turn the page from making fake selfish stars the focal point of the roster to a team oriented culture that competes for a playoff spot with KP earning his first all star bid. Based on how things have been going with KP so far since the season ended, I don't think another losing season and the lottery will bode too well as much as I would love to keep adding young talent.

Young promising players like KP don't think like us fans. He'll take a 1st round sweep over another top 10 lottery pick. It's just how it goes.

Kristaps Porzingis leaving via free agency has been one of the more overhyped talking points of the media. If he did so, he'd forego tens of millions of dollars at a time when he has yet to receive the financial windfall NBA stars have had that normally do walk in free agency. Given the changes to the new CBA and Phil Jackson gone, I think it is safe to say that KP will be a Knick for a minimum of a decade. And if you want him here longer than that, you better make sure we draft another star to be his running mate with! So lets get our tank on for at least one more season.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

6/30/2017  8:13 AM
Porzingis isn't going to pass on an extension in a year. Mark my words, either his camp asks for a trade or he signs the extension. If they ask for a trade, Knicks deal him for two lottery level talents (maybe more) in a year. I can't see Porzingis passing on guaranteed money when he's the size he is with the injury risks.

I'm not worried about losing him if we lose, because the fact is he's got some running mates with Gomez and Ntilikina. Phil Jackson did amny things wrong, but the one thing he got right was drafting us some good talented young players who are all around the same age and can grow together. Don't lose eye on the rebuild.

Teague will only hinder Ntilikina's development. I think the type of veteran we need we already have in CLee. Good guy who won't play a high usage game but plays well off someone else creating. When pressured, can create his own shot as well.

I'm open to a veteran point guard, but someone that will be ok with coming off the bench eventually. There's no way that is Teague. Or Rose. Or anyone like that.

The case for Jeff Teague

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy