[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The case for Jeff Teague
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/28/2017  9:50 PM

https://dailyknicks.com/2017/06/28/knicks-rumors-pros-and-cons-of-pursuing-jeff-teague-in-free-agency/amp/6/

He's 29 now... the Knicks are trying to build through youth, but he's a perfect stopgap for whoever we decide to be the pg of the future. He could give us 3 years... I'm thinking a 2 year contract with a team option would be best for him. His style of play is perfect for the group we have and the style we want to play. I don't think you max him out though... but he only made 8 million last year. Maybe you give him the same contract Lee got... 12 mil per

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
6/29/2017  3:33 AM
We need to add 2 more high draft picks over the next 2 years and rebuild via smart drafting. How does Tea guests seriously help us? See the bigger picture
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
6/29/2017  5:42 AM
Just say NO. We need to preserve our cap space for next year. We should only look to sign players willing to accept a one year deal. We tank this season and then next year we have about $30-$40 million in cap space and another high first round draft pick.
Trust the Process
mlby1215
Member: #6486

6/29/2017  6:10 AM
Who dares to say no if sources close to KP or Melo say they need help now? If you works in Knicks and you want your job, you do what the players say.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/29/2017  8:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2017  8:19 AM
Teague will get a bigger offer than that and from a better team IMO. 2 guaranteed years, 24 mil? That's Aaron Afflalo money.
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

6/29/2017  8:23 AM
Honestly, we should be aiming for a top 5 pick next year, not a top 5 spot in the East.
We're not getting on Boston or Cleveland level with keeping Melo and adding Teague.

We need to rebuild and focus on young players getting better on both sides of the ball.

I'd start Ntilikina or Baker next year, if I can't get a young start at point guard.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/29/2017  8:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2017  8:50 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Honestly, we should be aiming for a top 5 pick next year, not a top 5 spot in the East.
We're not getting on Boston or Cleveland level with keeping Melo and adding Teague.

We need to rebuild and focus on young players getting better on both sides of the ball.

I'd start Ntilikina or Baker next year, if I can't get a young start at point guard.

If we want to keep KP, I believe the team has to make a good faith effort to make the playoffs. This team needs some winning badly to attract FAs as well. Teague for a couple of seasons would be around for the rest of KP's rookie deal.

Tanking makes sense on paper, but I believe this team needs a large dose of optimism to turn help turn things around, and make players more willing to play here, to stay here.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

6/29/2017  9:33 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:Teague will get a bigger offer than that and from a better team IMO. 2 guaranteed years, 24 mil? That's Aaron Afflalo money.

I see him in the 3yr for $45m - $60m range. This is a pg heavy FA on top of being a pg loaded draft.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

6/29/2017  9:35 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Honestly, we should be aiming for a top 5 pick next year, not a top 5 spot in the East.

If we want to keep KP, I believe the team has to make a good faith effort to make the playoffs. This team needs some winning badly to attract FAs as well. Teague for a couple of seasons would be around for the rest of KP's rookie deal.

Tanking makes sense on paper, but I believe this team needs a large dose of optimism to turn help turn things around, and make players more willing to play here, to stay here.

I think Phil being gone changes things a little.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/29/2017  9:49 AM

I'd start those guys later in the season. For now, I'd look to bring in a veteran like MCW, Collison, Ramon Sessions etc. Just so we don't give the appearance that we're tanking. Those guys are also decent enough from our young guys to learn from, but mediocre enough to ensure we still suck. This Michael Porter Jr. kid is getting rave reviews and we might have shot at him in next year's draft. We should try to be a serious threat to be a top 5 team...in the lottery.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

6/29/2017  10:30 AM
Does Jeff Teague move the needle? I'm not sure what the analytics suggest but if he wins us ball games, I'd pass. But I do think he'd be a nice little stop gap until Ntilikina can take the reigns.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/29/2017  10:32 AM
NardDogNation wrote:Does Jeff Teague move the needle? I'm not sure what the analytics suggest but if he wins us ball games, I'd pass. But I do think he'd be a nice little stop gap until Ntilikina can take the reigns.

I think Teague played all 82 games last season, that moves the needle somewhat. He would be a stop gap, but a decent one.

jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
6/29/2017  2:41 PM
well, he had his best season last year and his numbers compare favorably to jrue holiday who is considered the top second tier free agent. he is a good facilitator and once hornaceck's offense is implemented, which is pg reliant, he will flourish. the one thing I done like is that we will use most of our cap money if not all. George hill is a better option and cheaper so we can use the cap space for more pieces.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
6/29/2017  3:06 PM
Don't waste money and more importantly don't waste time.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/29/2017  3:13 PM
Teague is a good player. A very good player even. People are not wrong to want to collect high end lottery talent. However even after Melo goes this roster is not bad enough to merit a tank season.

I mean you figure we have in place something that will look like this:
C Noah/Willy/Plumlee
PF KP/NDour
SF Lance/Kuz
SG Lee/Ntilikina
PG Baker/Randle

The problem is that group could actually win some games. Not enough for anyone to care, but I expect Noah and Lance to have some kind of bounce back season and contribute more. With Melo out and other guys getting a chance the defense should improve over last year as well. I would expect Jeff to spread the floor more and see more offense.

I think if the Knicks play well next year they will see a small uptick in win total. That looks like a 30-35 win team. Maybe more. To be a top 5 pick next year we will need something things to go wrong and some guys to play very poorly.

I very much see Teague moving the needle, and that group above needs some scoring. Teague is a VERY EFF% and those #s show in his TS% and WS/48

You want to improve the team, get better players, get better period. The only time you dont is if it clearly compromises your future, and its hard to sell that right now.

If you do nothing because you dont want to add any players for stop gap improvements you probably still win 30ish games which really doesnt get you where you want to be from a draft standpoint. If Teague is signed to a reasonable deal he is a legit asset. Why would he want to come here?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

6/29/2017  3:17 PM
He will command a high salary but could be worth it for the Knicks in several different areas. Teague was incredibly efficient for Indiana last season, ranking in the top 16 percent in both PER (19.24) and Win Shares per 48 minutes (0.146). He also creates his own shot, has a strong assist rate (36.4 percent) and gets to the free-throw line -- all areas where New York struggled at times last season.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/29/2017  3:41 PM
fishmike wrote:Teague is a good player. A very good player even. People are not wrong to want to collect high end lottery talent. However even after Melo goes this roster is not bad enough to merit a tank season.

C Noah/Willy/Plumlee
PF KP/NDour
SF Lance/Kuz
SG Lee/Ntilikina
PG Baker/Randle

The problem is that group could actually win some games. Not enough for anyone to care, but I expect Noah and Lance to have some kind of bounce back season and contribute more. With Melo out and other guys getting a chance the defense should improve over last year as well. I would expect Jeff to spread the floor more and see more offense.

I think if the Knicks play well next year they will see a small uptick in win total. That looks like a 30-35 win team. Maybe more. To be a top 5 pick next year we will need something things to go wrong and some guys to play very poorly.

I very much see Teague moving the needle, and that group above needs some scoring. Teague is a VERY EFF% and those #s show in his TS% and WS/48

You want to improve the team, get better players, get better period. The only time you dont is if it clearly compromises your future, and its hard to sell that right now.

If you do nothing because you dont want to add any players for stop gap improvements you probably still win 30ish games which really doesnt get you where you want to be from a draft standpoint. If Teague is signed to a reasonable deal he is a legit asset. Why would he want to come here?

Great points. I don't think people realize that the Knicks are going to have internal growth in addition to adding more talent. Even with young guys coming in there's more returning players this year as well. There's no realistic path to being bad enough to make tanking practical. This team is going to be on the way up from here.

JrZyHuStLa

6/29/2017  3:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2017  3:52 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:Teague is a good player. A very good player even. People are not wrong to want to collect high end lottery talent. However even after Melo goes this roster is not bad enough to merit a tank season.

C Noah/Willy/Plumlee
PF KP/NDour
SF Lance/Kuz
SG Lee/Ntilikina
PG Baker/Randle

Great points. I don't think people realize that the Knicks are going to have internal growth in addition to adding more talent. Even with young guys coming in there's more returning players this year as well. There's no realistic path to being bad enough to make tanking practical. This team is going to be on the way up from here.

Noah/KP/Lance/Lee/Baker has still got to be one of the worst teams in the league and will net another lottery pick, tank or not. Add Teague and we may possibly have a slightly different story.

Welpee
Member: #6239

6/29/2017  4:48 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

That's a very good point. All of these tank advocates seem to think our good young talent (i.e. KP) will just hang around during all of this losing and won't look elsewhere. I would rather have the team try to make some smart trades, try to acquire picks AND sign some quality free agent WHILE trying to be competitive. Tanking is very overrated in my opinion. We have our centerpiece in KP, now lets build around him.

How many seasons did any of the top teams this year tank? And the teams that's the poster child for tanking (Philly) has yet to see the results of their losing seasons. It still remains to be seen if their strategy will work so why emulate them?

JrZyHuStLa

6/29/2017  4:55 PM
Welpee wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

That's a very good point. All of these tank advocates seem to think our good young talent (i.e. KP) will just hang around during all of this losing and won't look elsewhere. I would rather have the team try to make some smart trades, try to acquire picks AND sign some quality free agent WHILE trying to be competitive. Tanking is very overrated in my opinion. We have our centerpiece in KP, now lets build around him.

How many seasons did any of the top teams this year tank? And the teams that's the poster child for tanking (Philly) has yet to see the results of their losing seasons. It still remains to be seen if their strategy will work so why emulate them?

Now that one toxin has been removed, its time to remove the other (as well as Rose) and turn the page from making fake selfish stars the focal point of the roster to a team oriented culture that competes for a playoff spot with KP earning his first all star bid. Based on how things have been going with KP so far since the season ended, I don't think another losing season and the lottery will bode too well as much as I would love to keep adding young talent.

Young promising players like KP don't think like us fans. He'll take a 1st round sweep over another top 10 lottery pick. It's just how it goes.

The case for Jeff Teague

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy