Author Thread
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
6/29/2017  12:42 PM
reub wrote:
Markji wrote:
mlby1215 wrote:Yes, he wanted to buyout Melo so he is fired.......then Knicks is going to buyout Melo? Are we idiots? or Media assume we are? The media think we can not think and they do it for us instead? Either Phil Jackson wanted to buyout Melo or not. If Knicks wants to do the same thing Phil wanted to do, why fired him now? It is pretty sure what Knicks is going to do is not what Phil wanted to do, otherwise he would still be here.

You are right. No good exec in their right mind would buy-out Melo. Phil publicly antagonized the Knicks 2 best players and there was a deep chasm. Phil had to go for that reason. Trade Melo - yes if that is the direction mgmt wants to go. Buy him out - never. Melo is still healthy; productive and a star. People come to MSG and pay good money to watch him and the team play. You don't just send him away for nothing and continue to pay him.

Why wouldn't you want to buy out an aging player making $26 million per who had a WS48 of 0.89, which is worse than an average NBA player?

I know there are a lot of Melo haters here but Melo is still an asset. He can still play high level basketball whether u like the way he plays or not. If u buy him out then Melo will sign a minimum contract with an already stacked team who will become even more impossible to beat when we play them. And we will be paying Melo to play against us. Why strengthen the competition? If we want to get rid of Melo then we trade him. If no team wants to give us anything for Melo then he stays.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
6/29/2017  12:46 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
6/29/2017  12:49 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/29/2017  1:09 PM
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
reub wrote:Since the Phil haters are convinced that all the players in the league love Melo and hated Phil let's see how many of them come over now in free agency and play for the minimum salary.
I think Even the bigtime Melo fans would probably admit that he isn't a draw in his career. I do believe that IF Phil was coaching he would have been more of a draw

If the Knicks had cap space when Melo first came and the team was making the playoffs maybe we would have seen this. The Knicks haven't had cap space during Melo's tenure except for the Rolo, Afflalo offseason and Phil wanted a couple of players.
Melo has never been a draw. I'm not hating on the guy I'm just being honest. Melo simply isn't a guy you can build around...he fits better as the 2nd or third guy on a contender
When have the Knicks had cap space during his tenure?
They had cap space 2 summers ago and free agents weren't exactly running to play with melo.

We signed Noah and Lee... the year before that we signed affalo, Robin, KOQ and Derrick Williams...

Every major free agent that loved Melo turned their back to playing with him

One of the reasons phil was brought in was to attract FA's. They didn't want to play for phil either...

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/29/2017  1:22 PM
Uptown wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
reub wrote:Since the Phil haters are convinced that all the players in the league love Melo and hated Phil let's see how many of them come over now in free agency and play for the minimum salary.
I think Even the bigtime Melo fans would probably admit that he isn't a draw in his career. I do believe that IF Phil was coaching he would have been more of a draw

If the Knicks had cap space when Melo first came and the team was making the playoffs maybe we would have seen this. The Knicks haven't had cap space during Melo's tenure except for the Rolo, Afflalo offseason and Phil wanted a couple of players.
Melo has never been a draw. I'm not hating on the guy I'm just being honest. Melo simply isn't a guy you can build around...he fits better as the 2nd or third guy on a contender
They had cap space 2 summers ago and free agents weren't exactly running to play with melo.

We signed Noah and Lee... the year before that we signed affalo, Robin, KOQ and Derrick Williams...

One of the reasons phil was brought in was to attract FA's. They didn't want to play for phil either...

They don't want to play in NY get with the facts. This has never been a destination for free agents. This will never be a destination for top line free agents. They come here only to raid the franchise. Or no one wants them.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/29/2017  1:29 PM
Vmart wrote:
Uptown wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

They don't want to play in NY get with the facts. This has never been a destination for free agents. This will never be a destination for top line free agents. They come here only to raid the franchise. Or no one wants them.

For the most part, you are correct that NY hasn't been an attractive destination for most players (Except for Melo who actually wanted to be here)...But the fact remains that one of the reasons phil was brought here was to attract FA's. Delusional thinking or not. With his winning background as a coach, he promised a winning culture, but see, what had happened was...

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

6/29/2017  1:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2017  6:42 PM
Rosen: Phil, sorry to hear you got let go...(Giggles)
Phil: Yeah man, it is a big sacrifice I am making..(laughter)
Rosen: True, what are you possibly going to do to overcome this? (Laughter)
Phil: I dont know but I have 24 Million things that will help put a bandaid on my pain. (screaming for joy)

The sacrifice some people make. Mother Teresa like.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

6/29/2017  6:42 PM
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/29/2017  6:48 PM
Phil had to sacrifice himself to get the Knicks out of the media's crosshairs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy