[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Either MArbury sucks or the NBA is over-rated
Author Thread
flyingvee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #405
8/21/2004  3:07 PM
Sorry to say it guys, but face up to the facts. Marbury has looked like a jv player out there among the men. Here's a guy that can score 20 in the NBA, the premier league (Now becoming a myth) and he can't get a basket against the weak Olympic teams. What a slap in the face for the NBA. Should reconsider calling the NBA champs the World champs. I bet any of the final 4 teams would take the Pistons. Maybe it was Nike and the rest of the sneaker companies that really kept McGrady and O'Neal and Brynat and CArter out of the games. Can't have all these no-name loser Lithuanians dropping 26 points on their 10 million dollar endorsers. R.I.P NBA
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/21/2004  3:20 PM
Here's a guy that can score 20 in the NBA, the premier league (Now becoming a myth) and he can't get a basket against the weak Olympic teams.

Sure, today he missed some open jumpers, but he isn't playing his game out there. He's a guy who drives to the basket to get himself going. He's being asked to give that up to help set his team mates up.
Either way, 4 games of INTERNATIONAL style of play is not enough time to go out and say he sucks after he played so well for months before.

Other countries are just getting better.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/21/2004  3:45 PM
I might single out Marbury for playing poorly today, but in other games RJ, Carmelo, and others have been far worse. And if I were a fan of their teams, I wouldn't be concerned about how they were going to play when they returned to the NBA.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/21/2004  4:36 PM
Yeah right, all these teams would get demolished with NBA rules.

A bigger ball, crummy zone rules, crappy refs contribue more than poor play.
#Knickstaps
Bonn1997
USA
8/21/2004  5:39 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Yeah right, all these teams would get demolished with NBA rules.

A bigger ball, crummy zone rules, crappy refs contribue more than poor play.
Are they using bigger basketballs? I personally have small (though strong) hands and would hate to use an even bigger basketball!
flyingvee
8/21/2004  5:56 PM
Well that seems to be your excuse, different rules and blah blah blah. They are still playign basketball where the object of the game is to get the ball in the basket. It seems that not having the benfit of the NBA refs to not call the traveling violations is whats killing them. Or it's the refs fault that they can't hit OPEN Jumpers. What a bunch of bull that is. BUt you are correct is saying the lack of NBA rules is hurting them. AFter all, the NBA rules were put in place to make the game more exciting to the fans. Funny thing, team USA has always played under the rules since the inception of the games, I didn't see them complaing about international rules when were were undefeated all through 1972.
Bottom line is yes, LeBron can return to Denver and Cleveland and be stars again, but that equates to going back and being the best on YOUR BLOCK, isn't it. SO LeBron is going to be the next Jordan and the greatest player in the NBA, just as long he doesn't show up on any European court cause he'll be taken to school once again.
I'd love to see the NBA champ take on the FIBA champ each spring to see who the real world champ is.
BigSm00th
USA
8/21/2004  6:09 PM
Stop being such a wimp. The US is going to lose, the world has some great squads. Get over it.

The court is smaller, the key is wider, the ball is bigger, and the 3 point line and is shorter. The rules are made to hurt America's athleticism and acquaintance to NBA rules. Lithuania had an illegal ball screen on about 60% of the possessions today.

If the NBA and Euroleague champs squared off in the NBA's rules, NBA would win easily. Too bad they play this watered down basketball where talent and athleticism are overshadowed by one-dimensional talents who aren't good man-to-man defenders, arne't good athletes, and struggle in the NBA game.
#Knickstaps
flyingvee
8/21/2004  6:18 PM
The court is smaller, the key is wider, the ball is bigger, and the 3 point line and is shorter. The rules are made to hurt America's athleticism

Are you on drugs? The rules are made to hurt the US? These are the same rules they have been playing international ball since the 40's. The only change was to add the 'American' or old ABA 3 pointer. The squads are losing cause the NBA players are not as good as the FIBA players anymore. Just like the old WWF, it's all a show. And lets not forget the NBA refs, biased by Stern to make non-calls and let SHaq run over people but get no calls. It's finally caught up with the NBA and biting them in the butt right now.

Get some real jump-shooters on the squad, an Alan Houston types and some real point guards and then we'd win these games.

And another thing. The whole planet plays by these set of rules. Its the NBA that has to use these 'different' rules, not the Olympics or World Championships.

So rant all you want about the NBA being the greatest and players only being concerned about an NBA championship. Bottom line, team USA finsihed 6th in the Worlds, and will lose against either SPain, Argentina, or Serbia and not make the top 8.

[Edited by - flyingvee on 08/21/2004 18:24:16]
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
8/21/2004  6:20 PM
It just shows the Americans (Not the NBA) aren't very strong with fundamentals. The international game, as BigSmooth and others have said, plays under other rules and isn't the usual American thug-ball. The NBA will always be more successful because people don't come out to see jump shots like they did in the 50's, they come out to see LeBron James do his thing. Plus the NBA now has most of the best players in the world, it's really America and it's streetball rep that's being hurt. I was just in Europe and believe me, our basketball reputation around the world is the LAST thing we need to be worried about.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
BigSm00th
USA
8/21/2004  6:25 PM
"I bet any of the final 4 teams would take the Pistons"

I bet a team of Kidd, Bibby, Bryant, McGrady, Garnett, Rip Hamilton instead of the subs they had to call in would take all of these teams. Unfortunately, players withdraw and this happens (Serbia is 1-3, I bet they'd love Peja).

I didn't mean to imply the rules were made to hurt the Americans, but the rules FIBA has in place directly hurt what Americans do best. They can't fast break well b/c of the shorter court, international teams can hide their hideous individual defenders in gimmicky zones, and the US players, who are superior in breaking down defenses and athleticism, can't do this because they dribble into the zone. Not too mention Tim Duncan can't establish a post presence becuase of this hexagon. Maybe they should adapt the rules since the world is getting better and it's time they stop playing on a watered-down rules system where inferior players are on par as more talented players.
#Knickstaps
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/21/2004  6:47 PM
Marbury sucks
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/21/2004  7:04 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Marbury sucks

Ok...good enough for me....
~You can't run from who you are.~
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/21/2004  7:52 PM
All this the world is catching up is BS, I just don't think these guys care enough, that is it,the rules, refs and all the other crap does hurt the US team but by no means do I feel that these clowns like lithunia is catching up.... I just don't think the US players really care... at least not enough...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/21/2004  8:02 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Marbury sucks

Ya!!!! Bring back Eisley!!!
Bonn1997
USA
8/21/2004  8:10 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Marbury sucks

LOL!
OldFan
Member: #446
8/21/2004  8:53 PM
I'd say Marbury is over rated and the NBA sucks

Only half kidding.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/21/2004  9:15 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Marbury sucks

No thats ok I rather have Marbury go 0-7 lol
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/21/2004  9:31 PM
Posted by tkf:

by no means do I feel that these clowns like lithunia is catching up.... I just don't think the US players really care... at least not enough...
all true... if the americans cared more, we'd have a system and not choose the entire team at the last minute but get a 2 summer commitment at least to team USA - the players could get a tax write-off or something as an incentive
BigSm00th
USA
8/21/2004  9:42 PM
Kidd, McGrady, Allen, and Carter all gave a 2 summer committment to Team USA.

Only Iverson and Duncan honored it.
#Knickstaps
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/21/2004  10:04 PM
Posted by OldFan:

I'd say Marbury is over rated and the NBA sucks

Only half kidding.
full serious
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Either MArbury sucks or the NBA is over-rated

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy