[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

USA vs. Lithuania
Author Thread
mattinNH
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #695
8/21/2004  2:59 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Lithuania played better, can't get upset about this.

I couldn't keep track of all the names, but they all shot the lights out.
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
8/21/2004  3:04 PM
Lithuania was on its game. It was a well played game on both ends. We gotta learn to defend the 3.

Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/21/2004  3:06 PM
Why couldn't they find any players with an outside shot when assembling this team?

[Edited by - Rich on 08/21/2004 15:06:32]
rojasmas
Member: #639
8/21/2004  3:10 PM
The NBA guys have got to locate the opponents three point shooters better. The one guy killed them. Also, why does Larry Brown have Iverson and Marbury on the court together so much? Iverson actually had a good game, but usually neither one of them can be counted on to hit the outside shot. Lastly, Larry Brown has got to get over himself and let Carmelo play. The guy can shoot and Brown shouldn't play his headgames in this competition. Save it for the Pistons.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/21/2004  3:43 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Marbury was the worst player on the court!
Marbury was missing jump shot after jump shot. I don't know if he's putting too much pressure on himself, but he's too good a shooter for that to happen. If the US is gonna win the gold, we need Marbury, Wade, and RJ (it was a nice improvement for RJ) to hit their outside shots. Iverson's now our best 3 pt shooter, and he's barely at 30%
flyingvee
Member: #405
8/21/2004  6:02 PM
This was the reason the NBA was so hestitant to put in the zone defense that they allow in college, cause they knew they would stink up the place with lousy play, as witnessed at the last world championships and now the Olympics. The limited-zone defense they play in the NBA is a joke. Allow them to play a full zone defense and you'll see the scoring averages of McGrady and others fall in half.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/21/2004  6:33 PM
Why is the zone in effect? It makes basketball players one dimensional (all the guys can do is shoot the 3 and play their area, they can't handle and can't play zone D).

The NBA should've just gotten rid of the isolation. FIBA and the NBA need to make universal bball rules, and the extinction of the zone should be included. To me its on par with putting 3 players at each position in baseball. So instead of needing good defensive players with range and mobility all you'd need is a player who could field a pop up or grounder and throw. It limits the talent needed. The world has caught up, it's time to make the rules catch up too.
#Knickstaps
OldFan
Member: #446
8/21/2004  8:51 PM
I disagree about the zone. In almost every sport defense is a "Team" effort. Yes less athletic players can play in a zone and not be as exposed but I don't think thats a negative. Good athletes with good skills would still win. The problem is in the NBA you can be successful and not have good skills - note how many players there are in the NBA who have inferior shooting, off the ball, and passing skills and how many 4s and 5s have no post up game. The best players should have all the skills and be good athletes. Shooting is and always has been a basic skill in basketball - the fact that so many NBAers can't do it - indicates that the NBAs game has become skewed. If the NBA players had more of the fundamental skills they would still be dominant no matter whose rules the game was played under. From my prospective it is the NBA game that allows less skilled (but more athletic) players to succeed.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/21/2004  8:55 PM
We can't blame this all on the zone--- there are players in this tournament scoring at will and winning games (Pau Gasol) in spite of the rules...
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
lj02knicks
Member: #692

8/21/2004  10:22 PM
Posted by OldFan:

I disagree about the zone. In almost every sport defense is a "Team" effort. Yes less athletic players can play in a zone and not be as exposed but I don't think thats a negative. Good athletes with good skills would still win. The problem is in the NBA you can be successful and not have good skills - note how many players there are in the NBA who have inferior shooting, off the ball, and passing skills and how many 4s and 5s have no post up game. The best players should have all the skills and be good athletes. Shooting is and always has been a basic skill in basketball - the fact that so many NBAers can't do it - indicates that the NBAs game has become skewed. If the NBA players had more of the fundamental skills they would still be dominant no matter whose rules the game was played under. From my prospective it is the NBA game that allows less skilled (but more athletic) players to succeed.

good post... well said
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
8/21/2004  10:38 PM
..........(thinks that deserves a thousand words)
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/22/2004  12:29 AM
Posted by technomaster:

We can't blame this all on the zone--- there are players in this tournament scoring at will and winning games (Pau Gasol) in spite of the rules...
Yao Ming had a 39 point game too
USA vs. Lithuania

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy