[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What if Phil cuts Melo?

Author Poll
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

If this comes to pass, what's your take?
Addition by subtraction - get on with the youth movement
Fire Phil - this is an epic mistake
View Results

Author Thread
Sinix
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7495

6/26/2017  2:09 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:It would be a win for Melo and fail for Phil. The contract, the public criticism of Melo's play, all hampered any ability the Knicks had to get something for him. Melo holds the cards. It would have been hard to make this end with the Knicks getting anything positive from it. Phil made it harder.
there is one card he no longer holds. The support of NYC. The crowds and fans have been kind to him over the years. That will quickly change if/when fans decide to turn their ire in his direction. Melo is a guy who historically needs to be wanted to courted. He needs to be needed. If you think he guts out a couple years with the boos raining down on him you have no followed his career. We will see how it plays out.
He is wanted by his teammates. I don't see fans turning their ire on him. Phil didn't get a very good response after his presser. Fire Phil chants were happening at the Barkley Center not trade Melo. I don't think Phil has the juice to turn NYC against Melo.

I do think there is a good chance that he leaves. I just think he will get his money and the Knicks will get little or nothing out of his leaving in terms of the cap or an asset coming back.

Melo's popularity has declined big time and continues to do so. More people just need to become aware of what Melo is doing behind the scenes to undermine the Knicks front office.

Your average fan that doesn't read forums doesn't really understand that Melo has been making moves over the past couple years that have been Melo before the Knicks while Phil is trying to make moves that is Knicks before Melo.

Mostly your average NBA fan only sees 20-30 points Melo usually puts up and decides because of that he can't be the problem, because he's the only one putting up production like that. Then they look at all the losses, and while that does hurt Melo a bit, it puts the attention on management more.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/26/2017  2:22 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:It would be a win for Melo and fail for Phil. The contract, the public criticism of Melo's play, all hampered any ability the Knicks had to get something for him. Melo holds the cards. It would have been hard to make this end with the Knicks getting anything positive from it. Phil made it harder.
there is one card he no longer holds. The support of NYC. The crowds and fans have been kind to him over the years. That will quickly change if/when fans decide to turn their ire in his direction. Melo is a guy who historically needs to be wanted to courted. He needs to be needed. If you think he guts out a couple years with the boos raining down on him you have no followed his career. We will see how it plays out.
He is wanted by his teammates. I don't see fans turning their ire on him. Phil didn't get a very good response after his presser. Fire Phil chants were happening at the Barkley Center not trade Melo. I don't think Phil has the juice to turn NYC against Melo.

I do think there is a good chance that he leaves. I just think he will get his money and the Knicks will get little or nothing out of his leaving in terms of the cap or an asset coming back.

Melo's popularity with his teammates is overblown. He's clearly likable, he clearly is part of he league's fraternity and I believe the best FA any team of his has ever attracted is Kenyon Marten and that was after NJ didnt want to max him.

Every fan except JRod understands what is happening here. Teams that are focused on developing youth and team play dont keep vets who dont defend and hold the ball. You dont think he will be booed at the garden? He started hearing it last year... Phil may not be popular but once the games start fans call it like they see it.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/26/2017  2:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2017  2:38 PM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Melo's popularity with his teammates is overblown. He's clearly likable, he clearly is part of he league's fraternity and I believe the best FA any team of his has ever attracted is Kenyon Marten and that was after NJ didnt want to max him.

Every fan except JRod understands what is happening here. Teams that are focused on developing youth and team play dont keep vets who dont defend and hold the ball. You dont think he will be booed at the garden? He started hearing it last year... Phil may not be popular but once the games start fans call it like they see it.

I think you under estimating melo's desire to remain a knick, he demanded a trade here, he resigned with the knicks despite being a UFA, and he demanded a NTC..

why would he up and leave now, because grand pa phil say so, or thinks he's better suited for a contender.

Phils popularity amongst fans and media is at rock bottom

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/26/2017  2:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Dude is getting boo'ed at MSG. When he holds the ball.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/26/2017  3:30 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Dude is getting boo'ed at MSG. When he holds the ball.

this happened last year when nobody cared. This year he's essentially been asked to leave. If he stays he needs to show why. If he he stays and its same old hold the ball and get out of my way because here comes 4 jab steps than you can assure his time in NY will end with merciless booing.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/26/2017  3:39 PM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

The Knicks have not had cap space during his tenure in NY. The one time they did they got Rolo, DWill, Afflalo. Phil stated that he wanted to bring in a few players that off season. He brought in two starters. You can't do that and sign a max guy. The money hasn't been there. The Knicks have been poorly managed both in terms of draft assets and salary cap. That is on management.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
6/26/2017  3:56 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

The Knicks have not had cap space during his tenure in NY. The one time they did they got Rolo, DWill, Afflalo. Phil stated that he wanted to bring in a few players that off season. He brought in two starters. You can't do that and sign a max guy. The money hasn't been there. The Knicks have been poorly managed both in terms of draft assets and salary cap. That is on management.

Grunwald had zero cap space and draft picks, yet manage to build a 54 win team in 2 seasons

ES
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
6/26/2017  4:00 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Grunwald had zero cap space and draft picks, yet manage to build a 54 win team in 2 seasons

He sold his soul for those 54 wins. What happened the year after? He traded a first rounder for Bargnani. You guys conveniently forget these things. You forget he go Kidd who retired the next season. Where was the sustained winning.

Sinix

6/26/2017  4:01 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Metric shows that team wasn't as good as it's win total said. We heard it going into the playoffs that season and some dismissed the idea. Then we got bounced off early which gave it legitimacy.

Then we got another chance next season to show the 54 wins weren't a fluke. How'd we do there?

Knicks got lucky and wrongly assumed they were that good. That season was probably the worst thing that happened to the Knicks because it justified constantly targeting building a team that is good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to make it past the first round. This is limbo or purgatory. It keeps idiot fans quiet but the longer terms fans have to wait longer and longer for a team to be built long lasting with draft picks and young talent.

Dagger
Member: #4184

6/26/2017  4:58 PM
Where's the option to send melo down to the d-league where he can learn defense and team play?
knicks1248
6/26/2017  5:19 PM
Sinix wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Metric shows that team wasn't as good as it's win total said. We heard it going into the playoffs that season and some dismissed the idea. Then we got bounced off early which gave it legitimacy.

Then we got another chance next season to show the 54 wins weren't a fluke. How'd we do there?

Knicks got lucky and wrongly assumed they were that good. That season was probably the worst thing that happened to the Knicks because it justified constantly targeting building a team that is good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to make it past the first round. This is limbo or purgatory. It keeps idiot fans quiet but the longer terms fans have to wait longer and longer for a team to be built long lasting with draft picks and young talent.

It was a 2 to 3 yrs win now roster, he also signed short term contracts with the ability to have cap space after Tyson, melo, amre, jr's contract would expire in 2014, and phil took away 8 million of the cap space by adding calderon, but still had 30 mill to wrk with.

ES
knicks1248
6/26/2017  5:20 PM
Dagger wrote:Where's the option to send melo down to the d-league where he can learn defense and team play?

but if we traded for love, we would have to send him there as well right?

ES
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
6/26/2017  6:01 PM
Time for Melo to go...he wants a buyout. He's a 33/34 year old playing with kids when he should contribute to a team competing. I simply don't want Melo tainting the kids and I don't wanting him jacking up 8 3 pointers in the 4th qtr and shooting 20% in the 4th.
Sinix

6/26/2017  6:12 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Sinix wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

It was a 2 to 3 yrs win now roster, he also signed short term contracts with the ability to have cap space after Tyson, melo, amre, jr's contract would expire in 2014, and phil took away 8 million of the cap space by adding calderon, but still had 30 mill to wrk with.

So basically you are building Grumweld up for making win now moves on a team that wasn't ready to win by any stretch of the imagination. Real great job there.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

6/26/2017  6:43 PM
Would be a blessing for Melo. Phil and Knick fans get the ussual. But I am sure Jaramaz will fill in as a nice replacement.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/26/2017  7:08 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Yet if he waited one year to let Billups, Melo, Amare play out. Then let Billups walk and after 2 years of data come to the conclusion that Amare was damaged goods and amnestied him. He could have freed up 40mil to build around Carmelo Anthony. With young/in prime players that would have lasted for longer then one season.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
6/26/2017  7:13 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Every max free agent that year either resigned with their team that offered them the most money. Or signed with contenders. You think Phil Jackson preferred Aron Affalo and D.Williams over Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard??

newyorknewyork
6/26/2017  7:17 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Sinix wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

It wasn't a 2-3 win now roster because they won 37 games the next year. They had no draft pick and no cap space. So the same team would have went out on the floor the next year and won 30+ games again(missing out on KP). Melo even had knee issues that year and had to have surgery. Then who do we sign with the cap space? Jimmy Butler?

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/26/2017  7:55 PM
Who the fukk needs a replacement for a shot clock hogging, no defense chucker? Replace what? The high level production leading to 37 wins? Yeah I think Jaramaz can do just as well.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/26/2017  8:51 PM
Sinix wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Sinix wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

So basically you are building Grumweld up for making win now moves on a team that wasn't ready to win by any stretch of the imagination. Real great job there.

At the time the front court was Tyson, Stat and Melo. That team was supposed to win.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
What if Phil cuts Melo?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy