[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Oakley sides with Phil. Says KP was wrong.
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

6/24/2017  8:57 AM
Love Oak. Some great quotes.
He’s wrong for that. You can’t do that,” Oakley told the Daily News on Friday, two days before his debut as a player/coach with Ice Cube’s Big3 League at Barclays Center. “Not being two years in the league and you’ve been on the team two years and you won 32 games and 31 games. I mean, you don’t do that. Especially when you’re in town (at the same time the meeting was supposed to take place). You don’t do that. That’s wrong.”

“(Porzingis) should tell (Jackson) himself. That’s why you got a mouth,” Oakley said. “All they can do is trade you or keep you. But you got to realize that you have an opinion too. You can’t worry about what they will do. But all you can do is tell them to respect you. When they disrespect you, you have a right to say something to them. If you disrespect them, they have a right to say something to you. You can’t be sensitive. It’s a two-way street.”

Guys are sensitive these days. Yeah, (the team) demands a lot. They should demand a lot. They’re paying you a lot of money,” said Oakley, who called Jackson, ‘The Greatest Coach of All-time.’ “My thing is the guys should want to do something different. Learn the triangle. Learn the triangle and if doesn’t work, the coach gets fired or the president and the GM gets fired. Just try. You gotta try. Don’t say, ‘I don’t want to do this, because, whatever.’ Don’t give up on something. You got to work hard. It’s about work. These guys are just used to going out on the court and standing in one place all the time. With the triangle, you have to move.”

AUTOADVERT
Clean
Member: #743
6/24/2017  9:20 AM
I could not have said that any better.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/24/2017  9:22 AM
This is the Gospel according to Oak.... thanks be to God
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/24/2017  9:45 AM
Both sides have made mistakes here. How many players in Phil's 25-30 years in coaching did a player go AWOL on them before a game, and didnt give anyone a heads up about it? Phil was a hell of a lot more forgiving of Rose's transgression than KP's. Yes, Rose did apologize, the season was still going on, he wasn't going to be let back if he didn't. One player was a vet who should have known better, another one was a 21 year old kid who still has a lot to learn.

Legitimate emergency or not, not calling on gameday was a more serious offense, and Rose pretty much skated. Now Phil is talking about possibly giving the guy who spent most of the season freezing out KP, a new deal. On top of that, getting rid of his trainer so soon after skipping the exit meeting had the appearance of a "tit for tat". Things seem to escalate from there.

Again, KP shouldn't have blown off the exit meeting, should have returned the calls. Might have felt if Rose could get away with missing a game, he could get away with missing a meeting at the end of the season. He was wrong.

At this point I dont see any side coming out clean in this dustup. KP should fly to NYC (without his brother) and meet with Phil over dinner somewhere, and try to find some middle ground. And its time for GrandpaPhil to quietly bring KP back into the fold. Trading him isnt going to do anything good for the Knicks rep with players.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/24/2017  12:06 PM
More stuff in Berman's article about how concerned Knick management is about KP. From Posting and Toasting,
Here we can see the very essence of this franchise—both in the Phil Jackson Era, and even going back to James Dolan taking control at the turn of the century—the supposed “adults” in management positions are far less interested in fixing problems than they are in assigning blame. The 21-year-old player is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I, a 71-year-old man, need him to acknowledge how wrong he is, and how right I am! This organization will suffer until I am vindicated!

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2017/6/24/15867566/phil-jackson-reportedly-still-concerned-with-kristaps-porzingiss-long-term-viability-with-knicks
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

6/24/2017  12:33 PM
Difference in Rose's situation.
Rose came back, apologized. Got fined.
Since that time was on best behavior.
Finished season well from the team perspective.
Despite having bad results win-loss wise, wants to return as a FA.

There is a difference.

I saw an interview from Kyle O'Quinn who is good friends with KP.
Kyle said KP is a pro 100%. He was a pro for 2 years in the NBA and a few years in Europe. He's not some silly 21 year old who is immature. He meant to imply that KP did this with reason and with objective.

If KP is trying to force his way (or his brother's) to get his way, how can you not react? The Knicks have been a joke for 15 years under Dolan. I don't want the players to think they can run the asylum. They can not. KP's camp is playing a very shrewd game here. They say they want to be Knicks, yet don't want to communicate with the Knicks.

This is somewhat similar to what Kobe Bryant did in 2006 I think with the Lakers. I remember something along that lines. He wasn't happy with the management and asked for a trade and basically went AWOL. But even then, he spoke with some management. He directed his frustrations to the team and told them what they needed to do. Even though he was unhappy he reported to training camp.

KP's no where near a MVP level player (and all time great) like Kobe. He's not won anything at this level. He's not even made an all-star team. I'm one of his biggest fans on this board. But this was despicable. He's got to talk to management and tell them how they can fix this and what they need to do to get on the same page. Instead he's playing a dangerous game. He's neither showing that he really wants to be here nor is he really asking for a trade. We signed a guy in Kornet who can shoot 3 pointers and block some shots at 7 feet. He is not a superstar or even maybe a starting level player. He's a D league project. But the Knicks are acting as a team that is ready to move on from KP if he doesn't get his act together. They'll probably be able to do something where they can get out of the Noah contract, trade KP and also get some players in who can help longterm.

If I'm KP I make a call to Phil and talk to him man to man. Phil Jackson is the one who drafted the kid who supported him just the same way he is Ntilikina. I've seen countless videos, even this past season where after practice Phil is seen working and talking with Kris. I don't know why Kristaps is so upset at Phil Jackson, when Phil is the one who has brought him to NY, and given him a great opportunity to become both a star off the court and a star on the court. Many teams would have rushed Kristaps. The Knicks have protected him and brought him along great, atleast in terms of minutes and expectations. Yes the Rose/Melo/KP team was a mistake and it sucked. I'm sure Phil is going to make changes there. Kris is acting like a complete ass in this, in my opinion. The coaches from Rambis, Horny all the way to Phil are in love with this kid. I don't get why he's jumped on the Melo wagon. That is not what you do, dumbass. Melo's not going to care one iotta about you once he moves on from NY or you get traded. Melo's had this crap happen to him with George Karl, Mike D'Antoni and it will happen again to him with other coaches.

Ira
Member: #91
6/24/2017  12:36 PM
Oakley nailed it. It's just simple common sense and good manners.
Clean
Member: #743
6/24/2017  12:55 PM
I miss the simpler days when all KP wanted was a key to the gym. What happened?
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

6/24/2017  1:48 PM
CrushAlot wrote:More stuff in Berman's article about how concerned Knick management is about KP. From Posting and Toasting,
Here we can see the very essence of this franchise—both in the Phil Jackson Era, and even going back to James Dolan taking control at the turn of the century—the supposed “adults” in management positions are far less interested in fixing problems than they are in assigning blame. The 21-year-old player is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I, a 71-year-old man, need him to acknowledge how wrong he is, and how right I am! This organization will suffer until I am vindicated!

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2017/6/24/15867566/phil-jackson-reportedly-still-concerned-with-kristaps-porzingiss-long-term-viability-with-knicks

Let's just stop the noise at "wrong, wrong, wrong". Oakley is right. That's what you have a mouth for. If you're in, be in. Let your opinion count for something, as opposed to sulking and not communicating. One of the newer veterans( Melo or Noah) needed to say these things to KP. Shouldn't be left to Oak.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/24/2017  1:55 PM
Sangfroid wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:More stuff in Berman's article about how concerned Knick management is about KP. From Posting and Toasting,

Let's just stop the noise at "wrong, wrong, wrong". Oakley is right. That's what you have a mouth for. If you're in, be in. Let your opinion count for something, as opposed to sulking and not communicating. One of the newer veterans( Melo or Noah) needed to say these things to KP. Shouldn't be left to Oak.

Sure he should have gone to the meeting. Is it a reason to trade him? Bash him in the press? Put his name out there? Is this a big issue if Phil doesn't make it one? It certainly appears that Phil is going to make sure he has the last word whether it is good or bad for the franchise.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/25/2017  8:35 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Difference in Rose's situation.
Rose came back, apologized. Got fined.
Since that time was on best behavior.
Finished season well from the team perspective.
Despite having bad results win-loss wise, wants to return as a FA.

There is a difference.

I saw an interview from Kyle O'Quinn who is good friends with KP.
Kyle said KP is a pro 100%. He was a pro for 2 years in the NBA and a few years in Europe. He's not some silly 21 year old who is immature. He meant to imply that KP did this with reason and with objective.

If KP is trying to force his way (or his brother's) to get his way, how can you not react? The Knicks have been a joke for 15 years under Dolan. I don't want the players to think they can run the asylum. They can not. KP's camp is playing a very shrewd game here. They say they want to be Knicks, yet don't want to communicate with the Knicks.

This is somewhat similar to what Kobe Bryant did in 2006 I think with the Lakers. I remember something along that lines. He wasn't happy with the management and asked for a trade and basically went AWOL. But even then, he spoke with some management. He directed his frustrations to the team and told them what they needed to do. Even though he was unhappy he reported to training camp.

KP's no where near a MVP level player (and all time great) like Kobe. He's not won anything at this level. He's not even made an all-star team. I'm one of his biggest fans on this board. But this was despicable. He's got to talk to management and tell them how they can fix this and what they need to do to get on the same page. Instead he's playing a dangerous game. He's neither showing that he really wants to be here nor is he really asking for a trade. We signed a guy in Kornet who can shoot 3 pointers and block some shots at 7 feet. He is not a superstar or even maybe a starting level player. He's a D league project. But the Knicks are acting as a team that is ready to move on from KP if he doesn't get his act together. They'll probably be able to do something where they can get out of the Noah contract, trade KP and also get some players in who can help longterm.

If I'm KP I make a call to Phil and talk to him man to man. Phil Jackson is the one who drafted the kid who supported him just the same way he is Ntilikina. I've seen countless videos, even this past season where after practice Phil is seen working and talking with Kris. I don't know why Kristaps is so upset at Phil Jackson, when Phil is the one who has brought him to NY, and given him a great opportunity to become both a star off the court and a star on the court. Many teams would have rushed Kristaps. The Knicks have protected him and brought him along great, atleast in terms of minutes and expectations. Yes the Rose/Melo/KP team was a mistake and it sucked. I'm sure Phil is going to make changes there. Kris is acting like a complete ass in this, in my opinion. The coaches from Rambis, Horny all the way to Phil are in love with this kid. I don't get why he's jumped on the Melo wagon. That is not what you do, dumbass. Melo's not going to care one iotta about you once he moves on from NY or you get traded. Melo's had this crap happen to him with George Karl, Mike D'Antoni and it will happen again to him with other coaches.

Do you know that Jackson and KP never have talked about KP's concerns?
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

6/25/2017  11:03 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Sangfroid wrote:

Sure he should have gone to the meeting. Is it a reason to trade him? Bash him in the press? Put his name out there? Is this a big issue if Phil doesn't make it one? It certainly appears that Phil is going to make sure he has the last word whether it is good or bad for the franchise.

Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/26/2017  8:16 AM
Clean wrote:I miss the simpler days when all KP wanted was a key to the gym. What happened?
obviously Melo...
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/26/2017  8:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2017  8:35 AM
In this case KP was wrong to skip meeting. No defense of that. Personally I don't see where phil has "Bashed" him. He openly says great things about him but calls him out on the act of skipping.
Its like calling your kid out. You can tell him "Your an idiot", or tell him "your acting like an idiot".
Phil has not bashed the kid, he is not happy with his act.
Is that enough to trade him? Two schools of thought, if the kid don't want to be here, then you take calls. If your getting calls, then you return them with higher proposals. Im ok with that.
It would be wrong for phil to empower KP any more than "letting this go". I can agree that Phil should have been a bit quieter and let it go. When KP was on public display by his brother riding bikes in NYC the next day, it sort of was being "in your face about it" vs. him skipping then just jet out of town in frustration. Shaq did this and had his meeting two weeks later.

Did phil fire Longstreet in retaliation? If so its a bit petty. At the same time when your employer pays for a coach and you don't have the courtesy to even discuss the summer plan then is that a bit also on KP as well? Nobody seems to be calling for injustice about Longstreet not being renewed either. In my book, KP is in part responsible.

As for Drose, it was handled in house and perhaps we just don't know what happened with Drose regarding his reasons. In any event Rose seems cool with coach and wants to come back.

Looking for reasons to hate on phil seems to be a fun sport for some of you. Really, the wins and losses are plenty of reason. Simple, we want to win now and stay stay the youth course. We failed to win now last year but long term it has not really been detrimental.

Oak is not PHils problem, thats a MSG thing.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/26/2017  10:02 AM
fishmike wrote:
Clean wrote:I miss the simpler days when all KP wanted was a key to the gym. What happened?
obviously Melo...

And my Melolove is 17 times worse than what?
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/26/2017  10:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2017  10:08 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Love Oak. Some great quotes.

Yeah, I especially loved this one:

These guys are just used to going out on the court and standing in one place all the time. With the triangle, you have to move.”

That's why we read about how all rookies in the league are astounded by the increased speed of the NBA game. Because everyone is standing in one place all the time. I guess they stand still all the time alot slower in Euro then they do here.

Yet another genius lends his entirely credible opinion to this cluster dump of a topic. Oak really wants on the staff in some way, shape or form, huh?

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/26/2017  10:31 AM

He got "mentored" by the ultimateDiva herself.
Plus he himself probably has enough ego to think it's all about him. 21 years old and already broadcasting how stupid you are to the whole world, good looks.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/26/2017  11:30 AM
I'm guessing that talking to Phil is a waste of time b/c he's an old nutjob egomaniac.

I'm also guessing that KP talked to him face to face man to man about his concerns many times over before the exit meeting.

Sinix
Member: #7495

6/26/2017  12:24 PM
Everyone sides with Phil on this, even his haters.

There's no argument that what KP did was a good move for himself and the team. Even if KP was right about the Knicks dysfunction, he's wrong for her actions.

Oakley sides with Phil. Says KP was wrong.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy