OT : Welcome to the doghouse
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/20/2004  4:06 AM
Casual approach, shot selection land Anthony seat on Team USA bench

The question of what's up between coach Larry Brown and nailed-to-the-bench young forward Carmelo Anthony is not, to be sure, the most important one facing the United States men's basketball team. The team's poor shooting -- after going 3-for-17 in Thursday's 89-79 win over Australia, the Yanks are now 10-for-62 from 3-point range in three games -- and the unexplored issue of horrendous perimeter defense are much more significant issues that speak to America's chances of turning around a shaky Olympic tournament. But Larry vs. Carmelo is relevant. It defines the generation gap currently going on in pro hoops, and the differences between what a marketing-oriented selection committee is looking for and what a veteran coach is looking for.

Anthony says he can't understand why he is so deeply in the doghouse that Brown even summoned rookie-to-be Emeka Okafor for garbage time before he went to 'Melo. I think I believe him.

To most players' way of thinking (and that includes the 20-year-old Anthony), as long as you're not acting out overtly -- throwing tantrums, fighting, nodding off on the bench -- what's the problem? But Anthony is learning that being a teammate and representing your country is about many other things.

Brown has complained about Anthony's general comportment, his poor practice habits and his refusal to integrate himself with the team. And, oh yes, hoisting up a jump shot almost as soon as he gets his hands on the ball when he does get a chance to play hasn't helped either. Anthony just doesn't get it because he was never told he had to get it. He's been a superstar almost since he picked up a basketball, and the superstars of this generation adhere to the rules of a different culture.

If Anthony is legitimately at a loss to understand what he's doing wrong, let me call attention to his pregame "routine" on Thursday. I watched him for 20 minutes, never took my eyes off of him. Here's what I saw: He never -- repeat, never -- went under the basket to retrieve the ball and throw it back to a teammate. Instead, Tim Duncan, the best player on the team, a two-time NBA champion and a two-time MVP, threw it back to him. The only time 'Melo parted with the ball was when two of them bounced toward him at the same time. He never -- repeat, never -- worked on any particular move, never jab-stepped, never took a pull-up jumper, never got the ball and dribbled into an imaginary seam -- a situation he would find in a game. On three or four occasions, however, he did kind of sweep the ball toward the basket in the event the United States might need a 20-foot shovel shot at some point in the game.

After the game, in which he played about two minutes, he turned and abruptly headed for the locker room but happened to notice that his team was gathering at mid-court for the obligatory Olympian two-team handshake and wave to the crowd. 'Melo half-heartedly ambled over, shook a hand or two and turned away again. Simply put, he doesn't get it. He doesn't begin to get it.

There's no doubt that the situation has become difficult and embarrassing for Anthony, particularly since his close friend, LeBron James, with whom Brown has not been entirely enchanted during the last three weeks, is back with the in-crowd. James has actually learned, in contrast to most of America's team, that screens and give-and-go's not only can be run against zone defenses but should be run against them. James was the player chosen to go into the postgame press conference with Brown and talked about "buying into the system" and treating his Team USA time "as a learning experience."

But Anthony had his chance. He played well in America's first two exhibition games, and had he done the right things, he would no doubt be getting minutes now because he is somewhat of a perimeter threat, the term being used loosely in the case of this U.S. team.

For as far down the bench Anthony is now, it still might not be too late for him to make a contribution, but the clock is ticking.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/writers/08/19/carmelo/index.html
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/20/2004  10:33 AM
oh well... you would think when a guy has Larry B's reputation you would questions yourself and look in the mirror. Oh well... I remember when I was 20. Maturity wasnt a priority. Neither was self examination. Come to think of it the only thing I focused on at that time was breasts. That was about it... everything else was secondary. Maybe baseball was up there, but not by much.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/20/2004  10:45 AM
i'm 33 & i still pretty much only focus on breasts...well, that & my Yankees, Knicks & Giants.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/20/2004  10:47 AM
Carmello bitched and moaned about not getting on the team and Lebron getting all the hype. Now we know why.

This is not new to me as We have seeen carmello have his rookie hissy fit and show he is still immature. The thing is, this is PRime time.

I have long not been a carmello fan, and at the same time been blown away by Lebrons maturity and poise.

I am rooting for Larry Brown on this one. Carmello looks "soft"to me. A big fat 'Lil Bow Wow!

I once watched Ewing for 20 minutes before a game and was blown away by his work ethic in that short time before a game. HE was already dripping wet and very intense. He was going to war!

Nobody said being a pro is easy, but Carmello asked for this, and will look bad. I said months ago he was the second coming of glenn "big poop" robinson. He got game, but no heart!
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
8/20/2004  10:56 AM
I said months ago he was the second coming of glenn "big poop" robinson. He got game, but no heart!

I agree and Lebron has game AND heart, in the game against australia lebron was diving on the floor for loose balls and hustling his ass off, it amazes me how this guy is still a teenager
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
Nalod
USA
8/20/2004  11:01 AM
Posted by NYK3:

I said months ago he was the second coming of glenn "big poop" robinson. He got game, but no heart!

I agree and Lebron has game AND heart, in the game against australia lebron was diving on the floor for loose balls and hustling his ass off, it amazes me how this guy is still a teenager

Larry Brown called out his players and challenged them. his comments about 19 year olds are supposed to dive was a good line. "looking cool won't get the job done" was a classic.

Anybody think Carmello would not have been in Larrys rotation last season?

Think in a few years what kind of monster Darko will be with Larry tearing him apart and building him? In time the truth will present itself!
Nalod
USA
8/20/2004  11:02 AM

carmello is the love child from "Prediter" and Rosanne Arnold!
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/20/2004  11:03 AM
Posted by NYK3:

it amazes me how this guy is still a teenager

we still have a few years before the "jordan thing" starts all over again.

we'd better try to win soon, otherwise, when this guys is in his prime, we may have to forfeit the games.

[Edited by - raven on 08/20/2004 11:03:47]
NYK3
Member: #725
USA
8/20/2004  11:06 AM
yea and once he develops a consistent jump shot WATCH OUT, he'll be almost unstoppable
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
8/20/2004  11:21 AM
Posted by TMS:

i'm 33 & i still pretty much only focus on breasts...well, that & my Yankees, Knicks & Giants.

I am a butt and leg man myself. Ahhh, bubble butts! What? Carmelo? This is the problem with US basketball, everybody wants to be a SportCenter highlight. I play in a REC league, where my teammates are of the same age as myself (35). We play against 18-25 year old kids. You watch the layup line and these kids should be killing us. Throwing down dunks like it was going out of style. Then the game starts, my team plays like WNBA teams, under the rim. We are beating these guys by 10 pts before half time and they are throwing a tantrum. How can these old farts beat us? Easy, teamwork and play hard. Work ethic should not be a cliche, it should be a way of life.
Nalod
USA
8/20/2004  11:24 AM

Maybe we can trade Sweets and the expiring contracts for Lebron?

ANd we can throw in Frank Williams!

Hey, someone gonna say sooner or later!
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/20/2004  11:30 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Maybe we can trade Sweets and the expiring contracts for Lebron?

ANd we can throw in Frank Williams!

LOL! We're gonna have to find a new generic "throw in" player for all trades. Maybe it will become Ariza
OT : Welcome to the doghouse

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy