[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks should continue talks with Pheonix
Author Thread
Sinix
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7495

6/24/2017  8:31 PM
I stick to KP for Booker/Jackson.

Leaves the Knicks with Frank/Booker/Jackson/Melo/Willy. Thats a lot of young talent. Hopefully unload Melo and line up to get a top 3 pick next draft while we field the youngest team in the league and grow.

AUTOADVERT
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

6/24/2017  9:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/24/2017  10:01 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:KP price is not going down...
When u have a commodity that people want the price never goes down unless you accept a lower price..

Zinger says, if you trade me to team's X, Y and Z, I won't sign any extension with them, I'll opt out the first chance I get when my rookie contract is done and after my one RFA year. Then I'll test FA and see what is out there and give only certain teams a chance to sign me.

Any team interested will consider Zinger is only a rental. Maybe a 1 or 2 or 1 and a half year rental, but a rental nonetheless.

The teams where Zinger would not be a rental, would say, we'll I'm not giving you all the assets you want, I'm going to lowball you, because clearly this guy doesn't want to be on your team and you have to move on from him at some point or lose him for nothing.

Jimmy Butler got traded for really not that much. Why? All he has to say is, if you trade me to a team I don't want, I'll walk as a FA and go where I want ( back to Thibs) Those teams opt out of the chase because the risk/reward is too damn high and removing other bidders from the equation changes the leverage point for the team the player desires to be with long term.

If Zinger truly wants out, the price is going to have to come down, the longer Jackson waits to trade him, the less value he will have as a trade asset. Denver faced this same problem with Melo wanting to leave for NY ( and if Dolan had not taken over the negotiations, maybe Donnie Walsh could have just waited out the Nuggets for a better deal, the original offer for Melo was Wilson Chandler and a first round pick. Trade him here, or lose him for nothing)

Dwight Howard when he was out of Orlando, will he sign an extension? Changed his trade scenario.

Kevin Love when he was out of Minnesota, will he sign an extension? Changed his trade scenario.

James Harden when he was out of OKC, will he sign an extension? Changed his trade scenario.

And on and on and on and on.

You say most players on their rookie deals take the most money to stay with their drafting team for their 2nd contract. This is true. Most players also don't go AWOL on their team runner and refuse to speak to him. This is not most rookie players in most rookie situations. It's just not.

Here are other considerations. If Zinger gets past his 4th year, he can sign a 1 year tender during his 5th year in the league. The Knicks can hold onto him that one extra year, but THEY CAN'T TRADE HIM. This was the problem with Greg Monroe and the Pistons. That means if he's gonna get traded, it's going to have to be with enough clearance time where the true desperation clock doesn't set in. The other factor is injury. If Zinger gets hurt, and he's a thin big man, no team is going to go for him, or won't at any functional price. The longer you hold onto him, the bigger the chance he gets hurt and possibly hurt long term where his value sinks to nothing. If Zinger blew out his ACL today, that's basically a two year injury. Where does that leave his trade value then?

The price is going to have to come down. Doesn't matter how you feel, doesn't matter how I feel. It's a function of the actual NBA marketplace at work.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

6/24/2017  10:04 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:I don't agree with Briggs that J-Jackson is = or > than KP BUT I agree 100% we should keep talks open because I LOVE J-Jackson and I love that PHX 2018 draft pick just as much as the 2018 Net or Laker picks the Celtics own.

PHX picked 3rd this year --- why wouldn't their pick be a potentially high pick next year -- especially if potentially we got back say Jackson/TJ Warren/Bledsoe plus next years pick unprotected?

Phoenix could keep Booker and add KP for a BIG 2 -- maybe we add in a C-Lee to make #s work.

I think that is solid value both ways.

If adding Porzingis in that package is going to result in Phoenix being worse than last year, why would they give up next year's pick, unprotected?

That makes no sense.

Phoenix won't think they are going to be bad -- we would be betting that they won't be as good as they think they will.

Teams trade picks all the time and they don't usually do it thinking they are going to be worse or that they are giving up a great pick.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/24/2017  11:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/24/2017  11:27 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
When u have a commodity that people want the price never goes down unless you accept a lower price..

Zinger says, if you trade me to team's X, Y and Z, I won't sign any extension with them, I'll opt out the first chance I get when my rookie contract is done and after my one RFA year. Then I'll test FA and see what is out there and give only certain teams a chance to sign me.

Any team interested will consider Zinger is only a rental. Maybe a 1 or 2 or 1 and a half year rental, but a rental nonetheless.

The teams where Zinger would not be a rental, would say, we'll I'm not giving you all the assets you want, I'm going to lowball you, because clearly this guy doesn't want to be on your team and you have to move on from him at some point or lose him for nothing.

Jimmy Butler got traded for really not that much. Why? All he has to say is, if you trade me to a team I don't want, I'll walk as a FA and go where I want ( back to Thibs) Those teams opt out of the chase because the risk/reward is too damn high and removing other bidders from the equation changes the leverage point for the team the player desires to be with long term.

If Zinger truly wants out, the price is going to have to come down, the longer Jackson waits to trade him, the less value he will have as a trade asset. Denver faced this same problem with Melo wanting to leave for NY ( and if Dolan had not taken over the negotiations, maybe Donnie Walsh could have just waited out the Nuggets for a better deal, the original offer for Melo was Wilson Chandler and a first round pick. Trade him here, or lose him for nothing)

Dwight Howard when he was out of Orlando, will he sign an extension? Changed his trade scenario.

Kevin Love when he was out of Minnesota, will he sign an extension? Changed his trade scenario.

James Harden when he was out of OKC, will he sign an extension? Changed his trade scenario.

You say most players on their rookie deals take the most money to stay with their drafting team for their 2nd contract. This is true. Most players also don't go AWOL on their team runner and refuse to speak to him. This is not most rookie players in most rookie situations. It's just not.

Here are other considerations. If Zinger gets past his 4th year, he can sign a 1 year tender during his 5th year in the league. The Knicks can hold onto him that one extra year, but THEY CAN'T TRADE HIM. This was the problem with Greg Monroe and the Pistons. That means if he's gonna get traded, it's going to have to be with enough clearance time where the true desperation clock doesn't set in. The other factor is injury. If Zinger gets hurt, and he's a thin big man, no team is going to go for him, or won't at any functional price. The longer you hold onto him, the bigger the chance he gets hurt and possibly hurt long term where his value sinks to nothing. If Zinger blew out his ACL today, that's basically a two year injury. Where does that leave his trade value then?

The price is going to have to come down. Doesn't matter how you feel, doesn't matter how I feel. It's a function of the actual NBA marketplace at work.

I take it that you believe KPs brother...they are blowing smoke up your skirt...unless KP is earning a helluva lot off the court...his agent would be negligent in telling him to turn down that 5th yr...with 2 yrs under control that is not a rental....otherwise why did every team line up to put a package together...Jimmy Butler deal is Jimmy Butler.....I believe CHI could have gotten more but they took the deal that was presented...not saying Phil will get dollar for dollar but he damn sure ain't getting less than 80...

Can't talk about injuries and if we wait etc....that is part of the game...which is ruled by sell high....we need to get this impasse with him and the team settled if not I say trade him before the season starts....

If Kp has another strong year the package will get better ...$hit KP been hurt at seasons end both years and Ainge was hunting for another pick to meet Phils demands...PHX was going to give us a first and two players drafted last year in Benedict and Chris's....

Players like KP do not hit the trade market on their rookie deal.....unless they are busts like dangelo Russell...

Do you realize the entire draft day was dominated by the KP trade talk and everything grinder to a halt until Phil said the deals on the table are not enough.....

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

6/24/2017  11:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/24/2017  11:33 PM
Here's the problem with your theory.

TripleThreat wrote:You say most players on their rookie deals take the most money to stay with their drafting team for their 2nd contract. This is true. Most players also don't go AWOL on their team runner and refuse to speak to him. This is not most rookie players in most rookie situations. It's just not.

Now read this:

The other factor is injury. If Zinger gets hurt, and he's a thin big man, no team is going to go for him, or won't at any functional price. The longer you hold onto him, the bigger the chance he gets hurt and possibly hurt long term where his value sinks to nothing. If Zinger blew out his ACL today, that's basically a two year injury. Where does that leave his trade value then?

You've describe a situation in which Porzigis has ALL the leverage because he can pick and choose and apparently is so disgruntled he might play for his 5th year QO offer of $7.8m, but in the very next paragraph describe 140 million reasons why that'd be a big risk on his part.

This is the reason why 3 of your examples, Howard, Butler and Love ALL signed max rookie extensions and were THEN traded after. Harden was traded BECASE the Thunder couldn't afford one and Monroe took his QO offer because the Pistons weren't offering the max extension he wanted.

NONE of these players, not one, turned down a max rookie extension, which by today's cap is about $145m and could go higher in 3 years, because they were unsatisfied with their team.

For his risk, KP would play for $7.8m instead of $25m and the guarantee of $120m more in order to sign for $25m-27m less than that with another team.

Some fans are obviously very (very) anxious over KP skipping a meeting, but to suggest, as you have, the Knicks don't have a lOT of leverage (that again, you yourself describe as a significant factor) is somehow missing the obvious.

2-3 years/seasons is an eternity from now, particularly in regards to a 21 year old. You absolutely play the odds that either the situation will improve AND/OR KP wants his max rookie extension like ALL rookies do, if you're not getting the trade return you want.

You're reasoning and suggesting the Knicks negotiate from a position of fear and ignorance of their own leverage. And that's a losing hand every time.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/24/2017  11:34 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Also teams take chances....teams are trying trade for Paul George thinking that they can convince him.....however KP will be a restricted FA ...so u believe that he will sign the tender and go into free agency....no way....no one is risking that unles KP is balling out on the court....players want security....it is difficult for a rookie to go down the path to FA....they want that 5th yr...KP won't be no different unless the team he gets traded to has even more dysfunction.

Knickoftime

6/24/2017  11:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/24/2017  11:35 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:I don't agree with Briggs that J-Jackson is = or > than KP BUT I agree 100% we should keep talks open because I LOVE J-Jackson and I love that PHX 2018 draft pick just as much as the 2018 Net or Laker picks the Celtics own.

PHX picked 3rd this year --- why wouldn't their pick be a potentially high pick next year -- especially if potentially we got back say Jackson/TJ Warren/Bledsoe plus next years pick unprotected?

Phoenix could keep Booker and add KP for a BIG 2 -- maybe we add in a C-Lee to make #s work.

I think that is solid value both ways.

If adding Porzingis in that package is going to result in Phoenix being worse than last year, why would they give up next year's pick, unprotected?

That makes no sense.

Phoenix won't think they are going to be bad -- we would be betting that they won't be as good as they think they will.

Teams trade picks all the time and they don't usually do it thinking they are going to be worse or that they are giving up a great pick.

So the premise of the trade is ripping off stupid Phoenix?

Check.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/25/2017  12:35 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

The Knicks should not trade Porzingis. But if they were to trade him his value would be much higher in my opinion than what you suggest. He has three years on his deal so he isn't a one year rental. He also gets paid more to stay then leave. I would assume that he is going to a more competitive and better run organization if a trade happened. The only thing that would make me pause in terms of his value is how badly Phil has done when he has traded a player.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/25/2017  12:35 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

The Knicks should not trade Porzingis. But if they were to trade him his value would be much higher in my opinion than what you suggest. He has three years on his deal so he isn't a one year rental. He also gets paid more to stay then leave. I would assume that he is going to a more competitive and better run organization if a trade happened. The only thing that would make me pause in terms of his value is how badly Phil has done when he has traded a player.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/25/2017  8:28 AM
If the Knicks got any combination of Josh Jackson Bledsoe Derrick Jonrs and a pick for Porzingis and Kuz-- were big winners. I never said in any of my posts Josh Jackson and 9 other assets. I was realistic. I think Jackson Bledsoe Jones future pick( even lottery protected) is fine by me. I really like Jackson who would balance our team much better than KP. Some guy was saying KP is going to be the next Patrick Ewing-- I say no way. He's going to get hurt than we'll be out a beautiful package of team building assets. I didn't ask to be greedy on draft night and I believe strongly that our greed held up s deal-- a deal that would've been more than sufficient
RIP Crushalot😞
Knickoftime

6/25/2017  10:38 AM
BRIGGS wrote:I was realistic.

No.

and I believe strongly that our greed held up s deal-- a deal that would've been more than sufficient

You have absolutely nothing to base this "belief" on other than your desire.

Since draft night the consensus has been the Knicks weren't really serious about trading him and that media reports about their discussions wih other teams were overblown.

To suggest ANY deal involving anyone was doable is pure fantasy. That is the opposite of "realistic."

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
6/25/2017  1:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/25/2017  1:27 PM
If the Suns offered Chriss and Josh Jackson and a protected 1st rounder for say KP and Lance Thomas, I would do that trade in a hot second. With Nitti, Jackson, and Chriss we would have one of the toughest defensive teams in the league. You then hope that they can develop their offensive skills but I think NItti is a 20 pt scorer and Jackson can be the same if his jumpshot develops. Plus all of those guys would be on rookie deals. We could then add free agents in 2018.
Trust the Process
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/25/2017  4:00 PM
I would do Booker and Jackson and nothing less. I wouldn't move KP otherwise. He won't leave ny. He will resign the minute Phil leaves at the end of his deal. Book it.
Knicks should continue talks with Pheonix

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy