[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

MARBURY'S FINALLY GETTING THE POINT (ny post)
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/20/2004  3:17 AM
MARBURY'S FINALLY GETTING THE POINT

http://nypost.com/sports/18818.htm

August 20, 2004 -- ATHENS — Slowly, you can see the light come back to Stephon Marbury's eyes. You can see the swagger return to his step, the confidence return to his body language. Of all the puzzlements that afflicted the United States during the first few days of the Olympic basketball tournament, this was the one that shocked as much as any:
Steph looked stiff. Disjointed. Out of place.

That's never happened before, not when he was a brash kid with the Timberwolves, not when he was the only drawing card on some positively woeful Nets teams, not last winter upon his return to the Knicks. Always, Marbury carried himself like a star.

"At this level," he said, "you have to believe you know what you're doing, that you're doing the right things for your team. I'm a scoring point guard in the NBA, but that won't work here. We all make sacrifices. But it takes time."

Marbury scored one point yesterday and took four shots as the United States rallied to beat Australia, 89-79, in a preliminary-round Group B game at Helliniko Indoor Arena, and yet there were times, wide swatches of the game, when it looked as if he finally got it, when you could see something click in his eyes and in his game.

For years, coaches have been telling Marbury he doesn't have to score to dominate a game. For years, Marbury has nodded his head in agreement, sworn that he's heard what they're saying.

The problem has been, a point guard needs to get the ball in the hands of his team's best players. Marbury almost always has been his team's best player. You can't pass it to yourself. The refs will call that every time.

"Here," Marbury said, "it's like, you take your pick. You've got great players all around you."

The fact is, for all the criticism the Americans have absorbed in this first few days of the Olympics, they still have more great players than anyone else.

They still could win the gold medal. If they can somehow package the second half they played yesterday against the Aussies for future distribution, they should win the gold medal.

And if Marbury continues to embrace his current role as a pass-first playmaker, continues to grow into that job, proving that 27 is not too late to learn a few new things, they will win it.

"A point guard's education is never finished," Marbury's Olympic coach, Larry Brown, said a few months ago, during the NBA playoffs.

"The day you stop learning how to play the position is the day you stop being able to play the position."

The lessons have not been easy for Marbury. Carlos Arroyo abused him for 40 long minutes last Sunday, during Puerto Rico's 19-point thrashing of the Americans.

He looked slow-footed and uncomfortable in the early going against the Greeks, too, and somehow managed to keep the ball out of Tim Duncan's hands for the entire first half of that game. That's inexcusable, and Marbury knew it.

"If I can't get the best player in the world involved in our offense," Marbury said, "then what am I doing here?"

Slowly, he's starting to get it. All these Americans seem to be. They are playing better. They are playing with familiarity, even if their coach, Brown, still sees only gloom and clouds on the horizon.

"It's not easy for these guys," Brown said yesterday. "A lot of these young people have never been coached, never sat on the bench, never assumed a role on a team other than the guy that scores the ball and gets the shots. It can be an education for a lot of people."

Never more than the point guard. Slowly, steadily, the game is coming back to Marbury.

He had five assists. He ran the offense deftly. He got out on Aussie shooters. For one of the first times, it seems, Marbury understands: He doesn't have to score to dominate a game.

Now we see if the lesson finally sticks.

AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/20/2004  9:10 AM
The problem has been, a point guard needs to get the ball in the hands of his team's best players. Marbury almost always has been his team's best player. You can't pass it to yourself. The refs will call that every time.

that's hilarious!
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/20/2004  9:59 AM
Posted by TMS:

that's hilarious!
That is a funny line.

To stick to the point, though, we've seen from Magic and Isiah's playing days that a PG who is a great scorer can lead a team to championships.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/20/2004  10:00 AM
but so true. This guy is said to be a looser and a ball hog, yet, the only time he had a team (marion + amare), they made the playoffs and the spurs sweat some knives. Hadn't he hurt his shoulder, the suns were 2-1 playing at home for the fourth game, maybe there would have been a huge upset.

would he be a looser then ?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/20/2004  10:58 AM
Posted by raven:

but so true. This guy is said to be a looser and a ball hog, yet, the only time he had a team (marion + amare), they made the playoffs and the spurs sweat some knives. Hadn't he hurt his shoulder, the suns were 2-1 playing at home for the fourth game, maybe there would have been a huge upset.

would he be a looser then ?

Would a, could a, should a!

Maybe no trade if he no hurt him chicken wing?

I hope Steph embraces the "holy grail" that Coach "Obi One Kanobi" Brown has hath bestowed upon him.

"Luke, use the force!"
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
8/20/2004  11:07 AM
Hopefully, he brings this attitude and play back to NYC. We have shooters.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/20/2004  12:00 PM
Well, when he comes back to the Knicks and the entire team's healthy, hopefully we can expect more play like this.

People to pass to last year: TT and KT

People to pass to this year: TT, KT, Houston, Crawford, Sweetney

Let's hope he takes advantage of all the pieces Isiah's assembled.
#Knickstaps
mattinNH
Member: #695
8/20/2004  1:20 PM
I'm just glad a writer has finally said something positive about Marbs. Someone who looked deeper into the gameplay other than the boxscore.
It's refreshing.
Nalod
USA
8/20/2004  1:27 PM
Actually its the best thing I seen written about Marbs.

Steph has been one of the poster children for what might be wrong witht the NBA.

WE all agree we looked forward to the "Isiahination" of marbs to find the true meaning of team game. If this is one of the steps he must take, so be it.

It can only increase his career longevity and value. Jason Kidd on paper is not as impressive as how he makes the team better with his pushing the ball up.

All hail the rebirth of Steph!

diderotn
Member: #650
USA
8/20/2004  1:32 PM
Marburry will be the man come next season.

Posted by mattinNH:

I'm just glad a writer has finally said something positive about Marbs. Someone who looked deeper into the gameplay other than the boxscore.
It's refreshing.
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/20/2004  2:00 PM
when guys have the talent Marbury has its more interesting to write about what they cant do.

For 10 years Ewing was dogged for not winning a title, not being able to beat Jordan, not outplaying Hakeem... all of these things are fair but if you read the papers every day you might have missed he was one of the NBAs 50 all time greatest players.

Until Marbury leads this Knick team deap into the playoffs and takes over and hits big shots he will continue to be the Starbury that wasnt.

Thats all ok... its NY media, but that doesnt mean I'm not going to enjoy the games. I thought that was part of the excitement.. rooting for your favorite players to come up big when the games on the line.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
USA
8/20/2004  3:39 PM
don't worry my friends, this team will be performing like a machine. We were missing character last season, and we have that now with the addition of JYD. He was the missing link. As for finding a big man, it will come.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/20/2004  4:00 PM
I think Marbury never had to actually be a point guard....he always has been the most talented player on the court even when he was playing with KG......Why should he pass if dude is better then the guys he's passing to?

That's why Isiah pushing for Marbury to be in the olympics is pure genious. Marbs for once has too many options and he has no choice but to figure out how to get everyone involved at the same time....when to score and when to break the play and create.

Isiah is slowly but surely putting the talent around Marbs.

What is scary about Marbs is if he can focus on his teamates from the get go then he would be unspoppable because if the play is screwed up or if the defense is locking down his teamates......look who has the ball....Marbs. That's why you never trade Marbury.....I think he will lead the Knicks to the championship.

[Edited by - enyspree on 08/20/2004 16:02:02]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
USA
8/20/2004  4:22 PM
Posted by fishmike:

when guys have the talent Marbury has its more interesting to write about what they cant do.
That's a great point.
diderotn
USA
8/20/2004  6:28 PM
I totally agree with you. I noticed that in his game last season. Despite the fact that he had a pretty good stats, but there were times when he was unsure of what to do with the rock. Granted the talent around him didn't complement his abilities, but as a PG it is his duty to pull out the best out of his people. If I were Marburry, last year I would have gone to TT, Vinny, and Sweetney a lot more. Instead he gave the ball to Anderson and Kurt whom were definitely incapable of performing. We all know what Marb can do when he trusts his team-mates, he did just that with Amare and Marion surrounding him.

Posted by EnySpree:

I think Marbury never had to actually be a point guard....he always has been the most talented player on the court even when he was playing with KG......Why should he pass if dude is better then the guys he's passing to?

That's why Isiah pushing for Marbury to be in the olympics is pure genious. Marbs for once has too many options and he has no choice but to figure out how to get everyone involved at the same time....when to score and when to break the play and create.

Isiah is slowly but surely putting the talent around Marbs.

What is scary about Marbs is if he can focus on his teamates from the get go then he would be unspoppable because if the play is screwed up or if the defense is locking down his teamates......look who has the ball....Marbs. That's why you never trade Marbury.....I think he will lead the Knicks to the championship.

[Edited by - enyspree on 08/20/2004 16:02:02]
Bonn1997
USA
8/20/2004  7:02 PM
Posted by diderotn:

I totally agree with you. I noticed that in his game last season. Despite the fact that he had a pretty good stats, but there were times when he was unsure of what to do with the rock. Granted the talent around him didn't complement his abilities, but as a PG it is his duty to pull out the best out of his people. If I were Marburry, last year I would have gone to TT, Vinny, and Sweetney a lot more.
Please; obviously he knew who to pass the ball to last year. If he didn't, he wouldn't have gotten more assists than any other player in the league.
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
8/20/2004  8:08 PM
yeah and Marbury ranked 2nd in assists per game just .3 behind Kidd. I think he has a good chance of becoming #1 with Kidd aging.
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/20/2004  11:46 PM
I honestly think Tim Thomas will be the best player on the Knicks next year. He's gonna average at least 19pts. He had some huge games for the Knicks last year. He just needed out of laid back Milwalkee. He was bored there
Nalod
USA
8/21/2004  12:43 AM
AAH, the kool- Aid, She is sweet and plentiful. It is Free, full of color and strong. Stick your tongue out, it is the color of the Kool-Aid.

THe river, she flows of the kool-aid!
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
8/21/2004  1:05 AM
The Kool-Aid jokes are getting a little played out. Maybe you should stop mistaking enthusiasm for a Knick franchise interested in creating a winning atmosphere for some sort of propaganda plot to lead all the naive fans into believing we might have a good season.

Professional sports is 10% athletics and 90% mental. Jordan drank the "Kool-Aid" and so have all the greats. Isiah Rider was a far better player than Micheal Jordan ever was. But didn't have anywhere near the mind.

Isiah is trying to create an environment conducive to winning, and not out to have everyone accept some sort of evil mission of acceptance that the Knicks are some super team. Dont you want Tim Thomas to have a good year? Dont you want to see this team succeed or will it hinder your senseless complaining about what we have.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
MARBURY'S FINALLY GETTING THE POINT (ny post)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy