[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks pick Frank N at #8
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/23/2017  9:09 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:Hopefully the NBA isn't too fast and physical for him. We aren't going to be good next year so he should get plenty of playing time to develop.

Was going to say that, needs to get faster. Thats the first thing most rookies say when they enter the league, how much faster the game is. This was one of my concerns with Frank, looked a step slower than the other picks. If he can form an effective tandem with KP, it will be a big step up from last season, and Ntilinka will have been worth the pick.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/23/2017  9:14 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote: w
I hope we don't rush this kid and don't go nuts with DSJ comparisons and just invest in him being the best Ntilikina he can be. But that's obviously too much to ask for from our fans.

Knicks won't rush Frank. They scout well and use the d league well since Phil has been pres.

I disagree about Knick fans. Look at how many guys are still all in with Phil. How do you defend a guy that falls asleep during workouts, 'forgets' about missed exit meetings, trashes guys e wants to trade before the trade and then takes pennies on the dollar for them, gives out ridicuolous contracts to old, declining, injured guys, won't make the guy he wants to coach the end coach but forces him onto the staff of his coaches, is not very engaged in the job most of the time etc..,guys are still all in with Phil.

who is this army you speak of? Who are these guys? This is a common theme to go off on imaginary adversaries... seriously who are these all in people?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

6/23/2017  9:27 AM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
I hope we don't rush this kid and don't go nuts with DSJ comparisons and just invest in him being the best Ntilikina he can be. But that's obviously too much to ask for from our fans.

Knicks won't rush Frank. They scout well and use the d league well since Phil has been pres.

I disagree about Knick fans. Look at how many guys are still all in with Phil. How do you defend a guy that falls asleep during workouts, 'forgets' about missed exit meetings, trashes guys e wants to trade before the trade and then takes pennies on the dollar for them, gives out ridicuolous contracts to old, declining, injured guys, won't make the guy he wants to coach the end coach but forces him onto the staff of his coaches, is not very engaged in the job most of the time etc..,guys are still all in with Phil.

who is this army you speak of? Who are these guys? This is a common theme to go off on imaginary adversaries... seriously who are these all in people?

He is just regurgitating ALL of Phil Jacksom's real and imaginary crimes against humanity (mostly imaginary and mostly made up by people like him). Let him be, he is the ToT.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/23/2017  9:35 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He is just regurgitating ALL of Phil Jacksom's real and imaginary crimes against humanity (mostly imaginary and mostly made up by people like him). Let him be, he is the ToT.

I think Crush (like crzy) brings up legitimate criticisms and even in this post he found a way to compliment the Knicks scouting and d league

But I agree lately he seems to gravitate to the worst possible interpretations of Phil, e.g., senile, whatever. I'm going to chalk it up to extreme frustration

Everyone will be nicer if we start winning, or at least showing progress with purpose

(5)(5)
fishmike
USA
6/23/2017  9:48 AM
Chandler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I think Crush (like crzy) brings up legitimate criticisms and even in this post he found a way to compliment the Knicks scouting and d league

But I agree lately he seems to gravitate to the worst possible interpretations of Phil, e.g., senile, whatever. I'm going to chalk it up to extreme frustration

Everyone will be nicer if we start winning, or at least showing progress with purpose

EVERYONE has legit concerns about Phil! Phil has done a good job drafting guys and developing some 2nd tier guys but most everything else has been a poop show. Really nobody here defends Phil (except one guy maybe). But if there isnt an army of "All in with Phil" it might hurt the cause...
Ilovestarks
Member: #6058

6/23/2017  9:59 AM
If you look at KP stats as a young player in Spain will be very impressed,
His NBA numbers the year after were incredible.
It hard to evaluate the transion of young EUs that alredy playing few years of pro ball before the go the the draft .
Hope he will transform well
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
6/23/2017  10:33 AM
Im fairly cool with the pick at #8.

Dislike the idea in some ways that Phil may have done it due to him being a "triangle" guard, but he does appear to provide us with skills that we have been lacking at the point guard position for years.

Reminds me a little bit of Derrick Harper a bit and Jrue Holiday (who I recall Phil may want to sign).

Dig the wingspan, and defense. Can shoot, and clearly has potential.

Weaknesses are concerning (off the dribble pace/seems quite deliberate, creativity, ball handling) and tend to indicate role player or worst case, bust, but the fact that he has improved a lot in the last year, has good work ethic and attitude and is not even 19 yet says he will get better in at least some of those areas.

I do kind of struggle to see how he can become an All-Star calibre player based on the videos I've seen, but I'm gathering due to his age and growth as a player the last year that this is where that comes from.

I don't think Phil really sees him as a likely star player anyway, and went for a hopefully solid rotation/starter level PG that fills needs most NBA teams look for in their guard rotation (outside shooting, defense, teamwork, BBIQ) accompanied with his length can pose real problems for guards.

Annoyed we were picking so low given how poor we were as a team really, and is why I really wish the NBA would change it's system for deciding the draft order that does not reward tanking nor punish bad teams that try to win games (like the one Knickerblogger suggested months ago).

At least KP is still here...for now.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
6/23/2017  11:33 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

Crush, I'm with you, but I sense that folks (I gather) come across as thinking that the long term need for the Knicks to "set the tone for a culture" that does not let players have so much power, as well as one that will eventually include Melo gone that we will somehow get better as then the triangle can then work (with more of the right players) and we become more desirable team to play for for free-agents.

I'm not so sold on that pitch, but I sense that's what it is about from what I read.

The sad part to contemplate is that this may very well all we can hope for. Maybe supporting it is a way to come to terms with this reality (i.e no longer in the anger nor denial phases.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/23/2017  11:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/23/2017  11:39 AM
Fran Fraschilla said that Fran is neither a pure pg nor a shooting guard. After watching more film on Frank, I think in order for him to reach his full potential and be a legit starter in this league, I think he needs to be groomed as a point. 6'5 is big for a pg, not so much as a shooting guard specially at 170...Below is a clip I found of him running the point and for the most part, running exclusive PNR...If he can play the point and more importantly defend pg's, he has a chance to be a starter in this league....

stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

6/23/2017  11:45 AM
Frank is 190lbs, not 170lbs.
The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
Uptown

6/23/2017  11:47 AM
stanleybostitch wrote:Frank is 190lbs, not 170lbs.

draftexpress has him listed at 170...who knows for sure?

fishmike
USA
6/23/2017  12:09 PM
Uptown wrote:Fran Fraschilla said that Fran is neither a pure pg nor a shooting guard. After watching more film on Frank, I think in order for him to reach his full potential and be a legit starter in this league, I think he needs to be groomed as a point. 6'5 is big for a pg, not so much as a shooting guard specially at 170...Below is a clip I found of him running the point and for the most part, running exclusive PNR...If he can play the point and more importantly defend pg's, he has a chance to be a starter in this league....

while this video is vs. his peers this shows a few things. 1) that athletically he is most certainly an NBA athlete and above average there at worst. 2) he most certainly can be a lead guard with a killer instinct. It was that which put him on the map in the first place 3) he's been playing among men and his job is to defend and play mistake free BB

This board is funny...

"Phil has drafted well... look at KP and Willy."
- those are Gaine's picks

"The same staff that scouted KP and Willy picked Ntilikina"
- Phil has phucked up this draft by not taking Dennis Smith

Uptown

6/23/2017  12:29 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:Fran Fraschilla said that Fran is neither a pure pg nor a shooting guard. After watching more film on Frank, I think in order for him to reach his full potential and be a legit starter in this league, I think he needs to be groomed as a point. 6'5 is big for a pg, not so much as a shooting guard specially at 170...Below is a clip I found of him running the point and for the most part, running exclusive PNR...If he can play the point and more importantly defend pg's, he has a chance to be a starter in this league....

while this video is vs. his peers this shows a few things. 1) that athletically he is most certainly an NBA athlete and above average there at worst. 2) he most certainly can be a lead guard with a killer instinct. It was that which put him on the map in the first place 3) he's been playing among men and his job is to defend and play mistake free BB

This board is funny...

Admittedly, I was one of the main ones venting about selecting Frank over Smith. I still feel like Smith is a better prospect and that if the Knicks were zeroing in on Frank, they probably could have traded back, picked up an asset and select Frank a few picks later. But, Frank is a Knick now, so its time to move forward and hope that he can flourish here.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/23/2017  12:44 PM
From just watching frank in the clips..my only concern is that he is not a quick twitch type athlete. His wingspan covers a lot of that so it might not be much of a problem.

I know we all like to compare and some of the comparisons I can see. However, I do see a lot of sleepy floyd in his game.

TPercy
Member: #5748

6/23/2017  12:55 PM
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This board is funny...

Admittedly, I was one of the main ones venting about selecting Frank over Smith. I still feel like Smith is a better prospect and that if the Knicks were zeroing in on Frank, they probably could have traded back, picked up an asset and select Frank a few picks later. But, Frank is a Knick now, so its time to move forward and hope that he can flourish here.

This. Phil has done well in the past but that doesn't make him or his scouting team God. I just hope Ntilikina can blossom soon and hopefully turn into George Hill.

The Future is Bright!
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/23/2017  1:13 PM
I don't know why I do this to myself. Screamin A is an *******.
fishmike
USA
6/23/2017  1:17 PM
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This board is funny...

This. Phil has done well in the past but that doesn't make him or his scouting team God. I just hope Ntilikina can blossom soon and hopefully turn into George Hill.

God.. no, but how about benefit of the doubt?

Frank is a gym rat, has a good family and support and is a winner. He's shown he can play with pros, fit in as an 18 year old and have an impact playing a role. Before playing that role he took over the U18 and established himself as the best prospect in EU. People act like Smith is a sure thing in Frank is a total mystery. Simply not the case.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/23/2017  1:19 PM
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This board is funny...

I take solace in the fact that Nitty has already improved considerably since those games in the videos. The kid has a great work ethic. No he's not the elite explosive player that others in the draft are but his IQ is higher and his D should be top of class. He's a perfect fit in the Triangle as well. Finally HE WILL LISTEN and not buck the system!!! That was likely a HUGE factor for Phil.

Welpee
Member: #6239

6/23/2017  1:32 PM
NYKBocker wrote:I don't know why I do this to myself. Screamin A is an *******.
Blast from the past (2015)
fishmike
USA
6/23/2017  1:34 PM
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This board is funny...

I take solace in the fact that Nitty has already improved considerably since those games in the videos. The kid has a great work ethic. No he's not the elite explosive player that others in the draft are but his IQ is higher and his D should be top of class. He's a perfect fit in the Triangle as well. Finally HE WILL LISTEN and not buck the system!!! That was likely a HUGE factor for Phil.

yea lets see on the bold. His challenges are athletic. He can do anything there he tries. I think his "lack of explosiveness" is way overblown. He plays tentative and considering his role that is not a negative. When the reigns are let loose a bit I am pretty sure there is another gear there. Keep looking...
Knicks pick Frank N at #8

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy