[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

the islesfan's plan...
Author Thread
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/20/2004  11:11 AM
I don't mind the differences of opinions either, but I think the consensus is that the snide remarks during pro-knicks post and basically every post that usually interrupts the flow of a good converstion is what sometimes gets to people, I mean this is a knicks forum, if you don't like IT's moves then fine but when we are talking about Trevor Ariza or Dermarr johnson is it necessary to throw the conversation for a loop by circling the conversation back to IT and his moves?

I will say this, it is easy to come in here and be the Anti knick or anti thomas, you get the best of both worlds. first of all if the knicks fail you somehow in your mind look like a genius, with the "See I told you so" comments.. Or if the knicks succeeed you can go "Great, I didn't have faith in IT but it worked out" and as a fan isn't that all that matters? winning? so either way you seem to win.. It is like betting against your favorite team, if they lose, you win the money, if they win, you lose the money but your team wins(emotional victory)... All I am saying is that if this team is successful, don't hide, come in here and own up to your comments, just like most us will do if the knicks fail.....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/20/2004  11:28 AM
Posted by Nalod:

I don't have a problem with other opinions, so Isles is ok by me.
The issue is not whether we have a problem with Isles opinions. We're just curious what he would do differently and if he can be more specific than saying that he would just pile up picks and clear up cap room (which occasionally works but usually fails). Of course, it's a free country and he has every right to just be critical without even having (or at least offering) a clear, specific alternative. But when you're so critical of someone, it's only natural for other people to wonder what, specifically, you would do differently.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/20/2004 11:43:08]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/20/2004  11:34 AM
good point. I am so broken by this franchise for so many years it hurts. Im not talking about the last 10 years, im talking Post championship era. Im talking not taking Dr J instead of money for the nets to join the NBA, Spencer haywood, Bob Mcadoo,the 80s (save bernard king), the close calls of the 1990's, and then even believing Laydog was gonna work it out! I got to believe!

While I am still very suspicious of Isiah, I sip the kool aid and continue to believe.

Go t my High Def TV on order, Get me an NBA pass, and root for the knicks, Jeer Carmello, and whoa the Darkman! Whoa the Darkman! (Darko). Im know johnny come lately, as a kid I went to a camp that had larry brown, followed him in the ABA, and So happy to see him win finally! I want him to get a gold metal, and take a Vacation!
Why he work so much with his Honey of a wife! Ok, she is not Brittny spears, but larrys like 65 yrs old!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/20/2004  11:34 AM
Posted by tkf:

I don't mind the differences of opinions either, but I think the consensus is that the snide remarks during pro-knicks post and basically every post that usually interrupts the flow of a good converstion is what sometimes gets to people, I mean this is a knicks forum, if you don't like IT's moves then fine but when we are talking about Trevor Ariza or Dermarr johnson is it necessary to throw the conversation for a loop by circling the conversation back to IT and his moves?

that i agree with...i find it annoying as well...but that's isles for ya.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
8/20/2004  11:35 AM
Opinions are everyone's right to express it. But for every critic, someone throws a tomato at you.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/20/2004  11:41 AM
Posted by Nalod:

good point. I am so broken by this franchise for so many years it hurts. Im not talking about the last 10 years, im talking Post championship era. Im talking not taking Dr J instead of money for the nets to join the NBA, Spencer haywood, Bob Mcadoo,the 80s (save bernard king), the close calls of the 1990's, and then even believing Laydog was gonna work it out! I got to believe!

While I am still very suspicious of Isiah, I sip the kool aid and continue to believe.

Go t my High Def TV on order, Get me an NBA pass, and root for the knicks, Jeer Carmello, and whoa the Darkman! Whoa the Darkman! (Darko). Im know johnny come lately, as a kid I went to a camp that had larry brown, followed him in the ABA, and So happy to see him win finally! I want him to get a gold metal, and take a Vacation!
Why he work so much with his Honey of a wife! Ok, she is not Brittny spears, but larrys like 65 yrs old!
I know you talk about winning the championship a lot, but I would consider this season a success if the Knicks showed strong improvement from last year, even if they don't win the championship. Winning the championship is obviously the ultimate goal, but one step at a time.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/20/2004  11:46 AM
Posted by tkf:

I will say this, it is easy to come in here and be the Anti knick or anti thomas, you get the best of both worlds. first of all if the knicks fail you somehow in your mind look like a genius, with the "See I told you so" comments.. Or if the knicks succeeed you can go "Great, I didn't have faith in IT but it worked out" and as a fan isn't that all that matters? winning? so either way you seem to win.. It is like betting against your favorite team, if they lose, you win the money, if they win, you lose the money but your team wins(emotional victory)... All I am saying is that if this team is successful, don't hide, come in here and own up to your comments, just like most us will do if the knicks fail.....

Actually last year I said that I expected the Knicks to get as high as the 4th or 5th seed after the trade deadline. Was that rooting for them to fail when they were hovering around the 8 and 9 position at the time? Is that being Anti-Knick?

If people want to label me, at least get it right and be consistent. There's nothing wrong with playing Devil's Advocate either in some of these discussions.

Bonn, give it up with the specific alternative already. Everyone here knows how unreasonable that is. Like I'm supposed to know what other GM's would give up in a trade. It's one huge hypothetical where one transaction directly affects every other transaction, so it's ridiculous to even discuss.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/20/2004  11:55 AM
Posted by islesfan:

There's nothing wrong with playing Devil's Advocate either in some of these discussions.

Bonn, give it up with the specific alternative already. Everyone here knows how unreasonable that is. Like I'm supposed to know what other GM's would give up in a trade. It's one huge hypothetical where one transaction directly affects every other transaction, so it's ridiculous to even discuss.

Look Isles, I don't even care about what you would have done back then. I'm more intrigued by what you would specifically do now and why you think we need to jump ship to get 1 final piece, a defensive athletic center?

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/20/2004  12:14 PM
Tell me again why I should try to have any type of serious discussion on this thread anymore?

you're 100% right, when are you leaving?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/20/2004  12:26 PM
it's all in good fun isles. you have your views and it looks like i'll probably never agree with them but what are these boards for. none of my doubts have been answered but that's my problem.

anyway, let's get this season started already - i'm dying here watching freakin' vasquez, mussina, and lieber giving up 10 runs a night.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/20/2004  12:36 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by tkf:

Actually last year I said that I expected the Knicks to get as high as the 4th or 5th seed after the trade deadline. Was that rooting for them to fail when they were hovering around the 8 and 9 position at the time? Is that being Anti-Knick?

If people want to label me, at least get it right and be consistent. There's nothing wrong with playing Devil's Advocate either in some of these discussions.

Devils advocate is fine with me, but is just seems(at least to me) that you have taken a bitter stance VS IT and the knicks and it is odd because the knicks clearly have gotten better talent and gotten much younger since last years squad.. It just seems odd, that is all..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
codeunknown
8/20/2004  1:02 PM
Islesfan, don't be such a koolaid teetotaler. You're ruining it for the rest of us. We don't check ID, its okay.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
codeunknown
8/20/2004  1:22 PM
Posted by codeunknown:

Attention all posters, veterans and rookies, Islesfan has a plan and it involves definite sucking. And that sucking, mind you, is for years to come. Now, most of the posters here and I don't view sucking as a very appetizing proposition. But, you see, sucking is something Islesfan believes very strongly in - he prefers biting the bullet, grabbing the short end of the stick, bending over backwards even - to get some real bang for his buck.

For whatever reason, Isles thinks that going under the salary cap, a 4 year ordeal in itself, playing the NBA lottery, and begging premier free agents to sign with us is the strategy of choice. But, despite Isles's palpable command of economics, gambling and begging doesn't work.

The NBA is a competition to improve - every team is trying to do it and fast. Now, Ive heard of 1 year plans, 3 year plans - heck even the Human Genome Project had a starting 5 year plan. But, to settle for a 25 year rebuilding plan with no guarantees is sheer buffoonery. What it boils down to, Isles, is the exact same stumbling block from our previous discussion - can you make the argument that an extended sacrifice period is necessary or can improvement be accomplished with intelligent trades and scouting? Looking at our team, we are 1 defensive, athletic center away from being major contenders. Stripping the club to the minimum is not necessary for obtaining that final piece.

As DJ said, its all in good fun. Hope you don't take my posts personally.

[Edited by - codeunknown on 08/20/2004 13:23:54]
islesfan
8/20/2004  1:37 PM
No, I don't take anything personally but let's not kid ourselves and suggest that this is all in good fun without any malice intended.

Now who's drinking the Hatorade?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
codeunknown
8/20/2004  1:42 PM
Malice!?? All the bang for your buck stuff was in jest. C'mon Isles, you know you're my dawg.
codeunknown
8/20/2004  1:44 PM
Now who's drinking the hatorade?

Sorry, still you.
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
8/20/2004  2:28 PM
I refuse to use the term "Kool-Aide" when talking about my support for whatever issue I may support. Hatorade? Yes, b/c there are sooo many haters out there! But Kool-Aide....nah! Didn't all the people who drank that Kool-Aide die? I mean, if people who are intruiged or even optimistic about the direction the team is going in, what does drinking "the Kool-Aide" have to do with it? Yes, I'm very aware of the Jim Jones pun. But, all that has happened in the past several months is just the opposite of death. LIFE!!!!! Life has come back to my team. Life is what has been driving these forums to start moving at a more rapid rate when talking about ALL OF THE POSSIBLITIES that can now be had since this new era has begun. "Drinking the Kool-Aide" is just the opposite of what a lot of us have been doing. The old Knick heart is pumping again. The Garden has a pulse again and the streets have come alive when talking about this franchise.

No disrespect to Codeunknown, because I know you use that term in your signature as do a few other people. But that's different because it's more a rebutal and a play on words that is based on people accusing us who support the moves made by the Knicks. This is directed at those say we're "drinking the kool-aide" if we like something Isiah Thomas has done. So it's all good!
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
islesfan
8/20/2004  2:40 PM
I'm sure Jim Jones' disciples thought the same way before partaking in the Kool-Aid. Also something about a space ship but I don't think that applies to the Knicks situation.
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
8/20/2004  2:41 PM
You take your vengace against Isiah Thomas too seriously. Look at you! You're talking about a cult lol. Damn, that's sad man
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
8/20/2004  2:42 PM
all right.... I'm officially confused
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
the islesfan's plan...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy