[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

this team is still very unbalnce
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/19/2004  3:19 PM
If your really paying attention to steph, you will relize he is not a fast break pg. Despite the fact tha he has great speed, he doesn't rebound the ball well, and he doesn't take off as soon as he gets it.

He simply walks the ball up court, then tries to use his quick first step to either break you down or go around you.

I stiil only see 2 uptempo athlectic players on this squad, and thats TT & JC, after that your in mud.

We still don't have any post up players, which will open things up for our perimeter.

We still have a soft squad capable of being man handle at any giving moment.

And we still lack any real individule defensive minded player other junk yard.

Yet people are getting really excited
ES
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/19/2004  3:26 PM
Unbalanced is when you have Othella Harrington, Clearance Weatherspoon, Michael Sweetney, Keith Van Horn, and Kurt Thomas all playing the same position, causing our lottery pick to rot on the IR.

What we have now is nice depth at positions 1 to 4. We have players whose skills compliment each other rather than being redundant with each other.

And Steph can push the ball up court if he's asked to. He's done that in Pheonix.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/19/2004  3:43 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

We have players whose skills compliment each other rather than being redundant with each other.

Oh man, thanks for the laugh. That was great.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
USA
8/19/2004  3:53 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:

We have players whose skills compliment each other rather than being redundant with each other.

No problem. For the last year, you've sounded like you could use anything possible to cheer you up. Glad to help.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/19/2004  3:58 PM
you forgot to add McDyess.

What we have is solid offense and rebounding. Marbury is a very good open court player. He's not Kidd but that walk it up style is a result of the personel around him. Several times last year you saw Tim Thomas get out ahead of people for some sick dunks.

The formula is to put 2-3 players on the floor that are athletic and thrive if given a little space. Marbury, TT and Crawford are perfect examples. Then you need to be strong on the defensive backboards. With KT, JYD (also good in the open court), Sweetney and Nazr we are very strong on the boards.

What we obviosly lack is back to basket scoring and an athletic frontcourt player on defense that can alter shots. We wil never be a contender without those elements, but we can be pretty good.

This trapping Marbury with doubles at half court will be a thing of the past. With TT (now healthy, we didnt see in the Nets series) and Crawford you have to FAST players that can go coast to coast on the open floor.

If you get anything from Houston the halfcourt game will be even stronger as defenses cant collapse on Marbury with that extra dead eye shooter on the floor.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/19/2004  4:33 PM
I think the Knicks look great....

They have alot of change of pace players and the bench could basically start.

Baker and Nazr at the 5 is decent....I Isiah has something else planned....he has a phase 2 and I think it's in effect as we speak.....
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
knicks1248
Member: #582
8/19/2004  5:43 PM
What we have is solid offense and rebounding. Marbury is a very good open court player. He's not Kidd but that walk it up style is a result of the personel around him. Several times last year you saw Tim Thomas get out ahead of people for some sick dunks.

I'm sorry to inform you fish, but steph had plenty of chances to run on several occassions and rufuse despite having TT and allan on the wing.

You watch him now during the olympics and it's the same thing.
Chris Childs ran more consistant then steph.

The 99 team had more balance then any knick roster has had in the last 15 years. Our starters were half court, and our bench consistantly ran.

I'm not down grading our roster because its a lot better then last year, but there are some glaring holes in our roster that makes us extremely vunerable.
I'm not going to sit here and predict whats going to happen this season, but if we start and finish with this roster the way it is now, and no one takes his game to the next level or sacrafices his game for his teammates,basically were going to be a .500 team
ES
Bonn1997
USA
8/19/2004  5:55 PM
Posted by knicks1248:

I'm sorry to inform you fish, but steph had plenty of chances to run on several occassions and rufuse despite having TT and allan on the wing.

You watch him now during the olympics and it's the same thing.
Chris Childs ran more consistant then steph.

The 99 team had more balance then any knick roster has had in the last 15 years. Our starters were half court, and our bench consistantly ran.

I'm not down grading our roster because its a lot better then last year, but there are some glaring holes in our roster that makes us extremely vunerable.
I'm not going to sit here and predict whats going to happen this season, but if we start and finish with this roster the way it is now, and no one takes his game to the next level or sacrafices his game for his teammates,basically were going to be a .500 team

But they were an above .500 team after Steph came here even though Houston was mostly out and we had no Crawford. And Sweetney's improved.

Also, I never saw Steph "rufuse" to run the fast break.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/19/2004  6:02 PM
what we did with stephon in the last 40 games doesnt matter this year. IMHO, the east has improved a LOT IMHO. Yes guys like mcgrady and Boozer are gone, but what I see are teams that added high quality depth and look more like teams. so as the knicks should be improved, many other teams have become much better. I can easily make a case for almost any team in the east except for charlotte to make the playoffs.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/19/2004  7:15 PM
Shaq came here, the rest of the Heat roster went to the Lakers. The only other good players were Jamison to Wash and Walker to Atl. Now if you believe those two teams are going to have a better record than the Knicks ok, but the Knicks are among the teams that drasticly improved, not to mention improve from within.

The East just got more balanced... not better.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Mac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #470
Japan
8/19/2004  7:26 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:

No problem. For the last year, you've sounded like you could use anything possible to cheer you up. Glad to help.

touchet!
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
8/19/2004  7:54 PM
Steph IS as good as anyone on the break. Look at the footage from when he was in Pheonix. I spent a lot of time back and forth to Pheonix over the past few years and when Steph has the players and he's asked to run...believe me, HE RUNS! You try running when you got a 2 guard who can't lay the ball up from point blank range (Anderson), Kurt at the 4 and Nazr at the C position. Those guys can't even catch quick passes. Did you see him in Minn with KG? Even when H20 was healthy, he was HEALTHY. Trust me, I've been watching Marbury for a long long time. If a coach wants him to run and he's given the tools he's going to run. Otherwise, you're right, he's going to use his first step and try to be deceptive instead of running.

Sheed would have been great for his game.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
this team is still very unbalnce

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy