[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Best case scenario
Author Thread
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/19/2004  11:01 AM
Ok,lets say that we really luck out and Houston comes back close to 100%.TT comes back on a mission to shake the bad rep he got last season.Baker's surgery and sobriety breathes new life into his game,Crawford picks up his FG pct,Sweetney comes back and starts playing like a monster,JYD sets the tone with his all out style of play,Nazr has a 9\9 season.

With this scenario,however far fetched(I dont believe it is,unlikely maybe) how far do you think the Knicks could go?
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/19/2004  11:08 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Ok,lets say that we really luck out and Houston comes back close to 100%.
luck out?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Kwazimodal
8/19/2004  11:12 AM
Why would getting back a healthy Houston not be good luck?
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
8/19/2004  11:38 AM
Houston going is only going downhill from here on
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/19/2004  11:40 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Ok,lets say that we really luck out and Houston comes back close to 100%.TT comes back on a mission to shake the bad rep he got last season.Baker's surgery and sobriety breathes new life into his game,Crawford picks up his FG pct,Sweetney comes back and starts playing like a monster,JYD sets the tone with his all out style of play,Nazr has a 9\9 season.

With this scenario,however far fetched(I dont believe it is,unlikely maybe) how far do you think the Knicks could go?

i'd say the absolute highest they could go if EVERY chip fell in place & they all had a great season next year is to the Eastern Conference Finals...even then, i don't think they would be a better team than DET or IND, or even MIA...the Knicks just don't have the players to win a title just yet...but it's a work in progress...everyone needs to realize that & be patient.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
deebo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #740
8/19/2004  11:44 AM
With that scenerio, I think NYK could make some noise next year. Starbury is getting the right explosure over in Athens. He's becoming more of a PG instead of a scoring guard. Besides Det I don't think any other team has the depth that the NYK have in the East.
Don''t sleep!
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
8/19/2004  11:58 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

i'd say the absolute highest they could go if EVERY chip fell in place & they all had a great season next year is to the Eastern Conference Finals...even then, i don't think they would be a better team than DET or IND, or even MIA...the Knicks just don't have the players to win a title just yet...but it's a work in progress...everyone needs to realize that & be patient.

I agree. We'll be better but not better than those 3 teams
Kwazimodal
8/19/2004  12:06 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I agree with that assessment except for Miami.You are right about Detroit and Indy,they are just too loaded.Miami seems to be "just" the Shaq/Wade show for now and if the Knicks are clicking,I believe they have more firepower than the Heat.Either way it should be the fun seeing that rivalry mean something again.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/19/2004  12:10 PM
I agree with that assessment except for Miami.You are right about Detroit and Indy,they are just too loaded.Miami seems to be "just" the Shaq/Wade show for now and if the Knicks are clicking,I believe they have more firepower than the Heat.Either way it should be the fun seeing that rivalry mean something again.
Agreed. Any team with Shaq should be taken seriously, but he isn't superman anymore. The man of steel is getting a little rusty. For a club that was really focusing on the "team" concept, I'm not sure gutting out 3 big pieces to bring in Shaq was the best way to go.
I guess we will all see next year.

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 08/19/2004 12:11:02]
NineMike2Whiskey
Member: #732
8/19/2004  12:14 PM
Everybody seems to be discounting the Nets :). But seriously I think a healthy Jason Kidd can take them past the first round and challenge for 4th seed
deebo
Member: #740
8/19/2004  12:21 PM
Posted by NineMike2Whiskey:

Everybody seems to be discounting the Nets :). But seriously I think a healthy Jason Kidd can take them past the first round and challenge for 4th seed
The Nets don't have a chance. Their starting line-up looks like: 1. Kidd, 2. Mercer, 3. Jefferson, 4. Eric Williams, and 5. Collins. Sound like the old Nets when that had Starbury. I give them the 8th seed in the playoffs, and that's if Boston doesn't make a turn around.
Don''t sleep!
MaTT4281
USA
8/19/2004  12:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if NJ ended up trading Kidd.(if they're following the pattern, it will be for future first rounders)
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/19/2004  12:47 PM
if Kidd is healthy I would make them the favorite to win the East. We will know in October. Eric Williams isnt Kmart but he's a good defender and all around player. Mercer can score, they arent as deep, but they do add the Yugo 7 footer thats supposed to be very ready. If Kidd is healthy from the start I still think they win 45-48 games because their system gets them a lot of wins in the regular season.

I dont like them come playoff time.

With Crawford and TT we will match up much better with them speed wise, but I have a feeling we will be slow out of the game... something like 8-7 or 7-8 through 15 (god can you imagine the daily Islesfan posts). Once these guys get more and more comfy in the their roles I think we can start winning a lot of games.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
bernard
Member: #475
8/19/2004  1:10 PM
"they (Nets) arent as deep" -- that's like saying, "Islesfan seems a little bitter." Nets are about as deep as Jessica Simpson. Here's how I look at that team.

J.Kidd/Planinic -- question mark because of health/attitude/will he even be on team. Still, benefit of doubt says JKidd's an all-star/Planinic showed nothing last year. I don't think he's got what it takes
RJ/? -- think RJ'll be an all-star, but sure isn't inspiring much confidence in Greece/who's backing him up?
Mercer/Harris -- two backups, one who's coming off terrible season, other who's having trouble staying in the league
Collins/Atrain/Yugo -- two backups and one high mpg question mark
Williams/Scalabrine -- one backup/one should-be 12th man.

This team is trying to lose. If they have a better record than the Knicks, something's gone very wrong.
rojasmas
Member: #639
8/20/2004  10:53 PM
Who knows how the East will shake out with injuries. Shaq usually doesn't play about 30 regular season games, Kidd isn't the same healthwise anymore and Indiana is always combustible with Artest. Ditto for Detroit with Rasheed. If,if,if.... Houston is back and healthy, TT doesn't miss every fifth game with some mysterious back, knee, groin injury, and Crawford falls into his role... Hey 50 wins isn't out of the question.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
MaTT4281
USA
8/20/2004  11:07 PM
If Houston comes back 100%? Ya, I'll agree with roja, 50 wins is right there.
My prediction right now, 47-35. Going further into my prediction, we win 2 rounds in in the playoffs, and lose in the ECF to Indiana 4 games to 1. (Just a little back round on the history of my predictions, I'm either EXACTLY right, or not even close).

Ehh...it's the offseason, I'll probably come up with some more predictions before September.

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 08/20/2004 23:08:10]
Nixhead
Member: #711
8/21/2004  1:19 AM
The best case scenario would also include season ending injuries to Shaq and Jermain O'Neal and Ben Wallace. Then if everything goes right for the Knicks like Baker back to his old 20-10 form, Houston explosive once again, Penny playing like he was 23, Crawford averaging 20ppg off the bench, Sweetney with a league high 11 boards off the bench and Kurt Thomas playing like he did in college - leading the league in points and boards then the Knicks might get past the 1st round.
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
8/21/2004  1:38 AM
I personally feel Indiana is on shakey ground. Ron Artest was such an important part to the team, but they tried so hard to move him. He will, I gurantee, hit a glitch in his head this year and the team could implode. They are one bad Jermaine O Neil back spasm from being a middle of the road team.

Miami will be great I feel during the regular season, but I see Shaq running out of fuel by the playoffs. I still think in a 7 game series they could beat the Knicks, but we could also beat them.

Detroit will be super dominant this year. 60 wins at least.

Every other team is so so. If the psychology is right (they drink that god aweful kool-aid of a winning attitude) then we could win 50 games.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/21/2004  4:14 AM
I agree with Mark, I don't see the Pacers improving at all. Their PG is still real shaky, Artest is insane, and JO doesn't strike me as being on the same ground as the other great forwards in the NBA.

To me, the NBA plays out like this:
1 seed: Pistons (win Midwest)
2 seed: Knicks (only 48 wins, but don't see Shaq staying healthy and Miami having great regular season success)
3 seed: Heat (win the South, a few over .500)
4 seed: Pacers (better record than the Knicks)
5 seed: Philadelphia (good depth, new coaching philosophy)
6 seed: Cavs (LeBron looks good in Olympics; Gooden could be a sleeper)
7 seed: Milwaukee (Ford is hurt coming into the season)
8 seed: toss-up b/w Wizards, Hawks, Celtics, and Nets.

I think the Knicks can steamroll a real weak conference. Raptors are fragile (with Vince), Nets are fragile (with Kidd), and Boston could be OK, depending on the rooks.

Sweetney will be a major player this year, and the Knicks will have depth. I just feel real confident looking at the squad.

Pistons over 8 seed
Knicks over Bucks
Heat over Cavs (Wade vs LBJ would be interesting)
Philly over Pacers (Pacers implode again)

Pistons over Philly (Larry Brown vs Iverson)
Heat over Knicks

Who knows after that, I've gotten way too ahead of myself.
#Knickstaps
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/21/2004  8:14 AM
Posted by MaTT4281:

If Houston comes back 100%? Ya, I'll agree with roja, 50 wins is right there.
My prediction right now, 47-35.
The crack you guys are smoking, is it from Columbia?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Best case scenario

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy