Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/19/2004  2:32 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/27116.htm

ISIAH MAY WANT CARTER TO TEAM UP WITH BAKER

By ANDREW MARCHAND

August 19, 2004 -- After officially announcing the Knicks' re-signing of Vin Baker, GM Isiah Thomas vowed yesterday that he would continue working to make the Knicks more athletic.

"We'll always continue to try and upgrade our team," Thomas said.

With the Knicks' salary cap lacking flexibility, Thomas' job is difficult. The most appealing name out there is Vince Carter's. Asked specifically about the chances of Carter becoming a Knick, Thomas declined to rule it out.

"We have a lot of players that are interested in playing for our team," Thomas said. "I am not in a position where I can discuss players on other teams. However, we are flattered and honored that they would want to play for our team."

Could the Knicks, with their tight salary cap, even put together a package for a high-profile player?

"I've been known to be creative," Thomas said. "We definitely can put together creative deals here. Our owner gives us the flexibility to do that here. If we need to get creative in a package, we do have the means."

Thomas reiterated that he would not trade Stephon Marbury in such a deal.

Thomas said the Knicks didn't have the salary-cap space to land Erick Dampier, who was traded from Golden State to Dallas.

"He is a player who is going to make 11 or 12 million bucks a year," Thomas said. "Dallas gave up an awful lot to get him. I think it is a win-win for Dallas and for Dampier."

Thomas said it said a lot about where the Knicks are headed that Dampier even considered coming to the Garden for less than $5 million. The Knicks did not announce terms of Baker's contract.

AUTOADVERT
Rich
USA
8/19/2004  2:33 AM
I'll believe it when it's done.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/19/2004  3:13 AM
believe what ? He just said something like "we're trying to imorve th team", and "can't talk about any other player".

He basically said nothing.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/19/2004  3:20 AM
there is no way the Knicks get Carter without trading Marbury!
Mac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #470
Japan
8/19/2004  3:32 AM
Here's a trade that works on paper: real gm 1872988
Rich
USA
8/19/2004  3:43 AM
Posted by raven:

believe what ? He just said something like "we're trying to imorve th team", and "can't talk about any other player".

He basically said nothing.

Carter
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/19/2004  7:46 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

there is no way the Knicks get Carter without trading Marbury!
There is no way I want Carter if we have to trade Marbury.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/19/2004  9:32 AM
I don't even think Toronto would want Marbury.

But, we have very few trade chips left.

How about Tim Thomas and Sweetney?

To me, that's not such a bad deal for Toronto.

Vince is hurt, getting slower and less of an all star- that might be the best deal they can ever hope to get for him.

One more injury and he looses another step and he becomes Penny Hardaway.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/19/2004  9:35 AM
Thomas said it said a lot about where the Knicks are headed that Dampier even considered coming to the Garden for less than $5 million. The Knicks did not announce terms of Baker's contract.

First of all, Isiah has been drinking a little too much of his own Kool-Aid if he really believes that Dampier had any intention of coming here for less than $5mm. Or maybe he just can't help trying to spin everything to make himself look good even though he did nothing to improve the Knicks frontcourt this summer.

Secondly, LESS than $5mm?? I guess Baker really did have a deal in place for part of the MLE before the Knicks knew where Dampier was going to sign.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/19/2004  9:39 AM
Isles... thats putting a new spin on things. I can believe this is what you thought.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/19/2004  9:39 AM
Posted by islesfan:

Secondly, LESS than $5mm?? I guess Baker really did have a deal in place for part of the MLE before the Knicks knew where Dampier was going to sign.

I think this is referring to the full value of the MLE....$4.9M
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/19/2004  9:48 AM
I would agree that Isiah is spinning it nice, but its his job to hype the team. Free advertising!

I cannot see us giving up any size to get Vince. We have little to begin with.

ITs nice Vince wants to play here, and Isiah can use it to keep a buzz about. Buzz=tix sales. Nothing evil here, just the way of the world!

I also think we have to look at chemistry as a big issue with a team of Vince, Steph an vince. I assume Allan would need to be moved if at all possible.

The sum of the pieces must be greater than the individual value. Detroits success and Team USA struggles are reminders.

With that in mind, other than Starphuching the hell out of us, I see no reason Vince needs to be here unless Isiah has other moves to address size. I don't see how we could get even smaller from here no matter how fast we are.
islesfan
8/19/2004  10:02 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Isles... thats putting a new spin on things. I can believe this is what you thought.

Actually I heard Joe Benigno say the same thing on the FAN last night including a couple of other Knicks fans. Oh well, I guess it's not just me like you'd prefer everybody here to believe.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
USA
8/19/2004  10:09 AM
no.. lots of people dont like Isiah and even more still hate the Knicks. Heck, one of the guys on ESPN radio yesterday said the Knicks wouldnt even be .500

Its just that every post you have ever made is to point out why Isiah is lousy, to prove why Isiah is lousy, to knock a player Isiah has brought in, or to agree with someone that doesnt like something Isiah has done, or to inform the forum that someone doesnt like something Isiah has done.

See the pattern?

On a side note I dont want Carter. His value is in selling tickets. I would rather see what we have in TT for a year then cash in chips trying to land Wince Carter.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/19/2004  10:13 AM
i don't understand how Isiah thinks the Knicks can get Vince Carter if they couldn't get Erick Dampier in a sign & trade either...unless he plans on taking on ALL of TOR's bad contracts? - Jalen Rose, Alvin Williams & Lamond Murray, along w/Vince Carter equate to ~$37 million in salary in '04 & $140 million in total salary, but then there's no way to match all that salary from the Knicks' end w/o trading Marbury unless they include Penny, TT, KT, Moochie & Sweetney's contracts ($97 million in total guaranteed value) along w/some serious draft picks & cash considerations, because TOR sure isn't going to take back Allan Houston's contract...that's a deal that would give the Raptors some good cap relief in the long run, but it would leave the Knicks' frontcourt completely barren, w/only Vin Baker, Nazr Mohammed & Jerome Williams left over.

C - Nazr / ???
PF - Baker / JYD
SF - Carter / Rose / Ariza
SG - Houston / Crawford
PG - Marbury / A Will
IR - Murray / Shandon

i just don't see any possibility of a trade there that makes sense for either team.

[Edited by - TMS on 08/19/2004 10:15:40]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
8/19/2004  10:18 AM
"i just don't see any possibility of a trade there that makes sense for either team."

Good news.

You think I dont like Keon Clark dont get me started on Jalen Rose.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/19/2004  10:22 AM
[b]
First of all, Isiah has been drinking a little too much of his own Kool-Aid if he really believes that Dampier had any intention of coming here for less than $5mm. Or maybe he just can't help trying to spin everything to make himself look good even though he did nothing to improve the Knicks frontcourt this summer.

would you rather him keep saying "we like our team" or "we're happy with our players" with a roster of 5 point guards and 10 power forwards?

FLUSH

you need to stop sweating everything isiah does so hard. who cares what he says. it's all about results and the jury is still out. 3 years is the typical timeframe where you can judge a GM or a coach. let's give him 3 years instead of ripping apart every single word he says.

and dude, when you post something about how beningo or other knicks fans agree with you on the radio, you're freakin' stroking your own ego.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 08/19/2004 10:25:39]
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/19/2004  10:25 AM
I agree with those who think that Isiah is just trying to keep the Knicks in the headlines.It wont get us Carter but trying to market the Knicks around the league as a "player" isnt a bad idea.Better that then Layden hiding from the press in his fortress of ineptitude.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/19/2004  10:35 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I agree with those who think that Isiah is just trying to keep the Knicks in the headlines.It wont get us Carter but trying to market the Knicks around the league as a "player" isnt a bad idea.Better that then Layden hiding from the press in his fortress of ineptitude.

I sort of disagree....I think the NY Post is trying to keep Carter in the headlines. Isiah cannot comment on Carter at all. The only thing keeping this story going is the papers constantly asking Isiah about Vince.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
islesfan
8/19/2004  10:45 AM
Posted by fishmike:

no.. lots of people dont like Isiah and even more still hate the Knicks. Heck, one of the guys on ESPN radio yesterday said the Knicks wouldnt even be .500

That's nice but Benigno and those callers said they liked what Isiah has done with the Knicks so far but thought he was being ridiculous to suggest that things are so much better here that top players are considering coming here for a lot less than market value.

and dude, when you post something about how beningo or other knicks fans agree with you on the radio, you're freakin' stroking your own ego.

No, just trying to show that I'm not alone in my opinion that Isiah is drinking too much of his own Kool-Aid or as Benigno said "thinks that Knicks fans are that stupid" to believe what he was saying there.
NY Post: ISIAH MAY WANT CARTER TO TEAM UP WITH BAKER

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy