[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Unlikely and worst case Melo trade options
Author Thread
jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
5/23/2017  7:57 PM
Know Melo wants to go to a winner - but the pickings are slim... if we can't get a reasonable deal with the Clippers, Cavs or Celts - what about trying to send Melo to the Nets or Sixers? He may accept it if it gets him away from Phil and still allows him to be close to his kid. For the record I'd prefer getting Crowder back in a Celts deal but not sure it can happen. I hate the idea of waiving him as he can still play - just seems it won't be for us... Assuming Melo would agree - would anybody do either of these deals if the only alternative was waive him or just sit him? I would consider the Nets deal purely for irony and future draft potential

Melo to Nets for Lin, Booker, KJ McDaniels, 22 pick and future #1 (protected most likely)

Melo to Sixers for G.Henderson, Bayless, resigned Sergio Rodriguez (reasonable/backup deal) and swap for #3 pick (they take 8)

AUTOADVERT
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

5/23/2017  8:58 PM
i think facilitating a bigger trade involving melo would be better cause we wont get much straight up for him
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/23/2017  9:08 PM
I think waiving him is a good option. Or taking back more tradeable contacts. Being married to the idea that we can get "value" for Melo will lead to disappointment. No team is going to trade anything of value for him, because he isn't very valuable.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

5/23/2017  9:35 PM
jskinny35 wrote:Know Melo wants to go to a winner - but the pickings are slim... if we can't get a reasonable deal with the Clippers, Cavs or Celts - what about trying to send Melo to the Nets or Sixers? He may accept it if it gets him away from Phil and still allows him to be close to his kid. For the record I'd prefer getting Crowder back in a Celts deal but not sure it can happen. I hate the idea of waiving him as he can still play - just seems it won't be for us... Assuming Melo would agree - would anybody do either of these deals if the only alternative was waive him or just sit him? I would consider the Nets deal purely for irony and future draft potential

Melo to Nets for Lin, Booker, KJ McDaniels, 22 pick and future #1 (protected most likely)

Melo to Sixers for G.Henderson, Bayless, resigned Sergio Rodriguez (reasonable/backup deal) and swap for #3 pick (they take 8)

The major problem besides the NTC is Melo simply does not appear to actually care about winning basketball games. He seems content to lose as long as he gets all his money and gets to play how he wants to play ( shotjacker/ballstopper/no defense/coach killer, etc)

The Nets is pretty interesting in that they want to move Brook Lopez and have some late 1st round draft picks. Do the Knicks need another high paid center?

The seeming plus is that Kenny Atkinson has history with the Knicks.

The seeming negative is that Jeremy Lin is on that team.

The other issue is the young GM in place for the Nets seems to want to move older heavy contracts out, not take them in to his team.

The Nets makes some actual sense, then they make no sense at the same time for a trade.

Hate to say it, Melo seems to content to dog it on this roster until he's waived with full salary. And I just don't see the Knicks doing that. This could be a LONG two years ahead.

knicks1248
Member: #582
5/23/2017  9:49 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:I think waiving him is a good option. Or taking back more tradeable contacts. Being married to the idea that we can get "value" for Melo will lead to disappointment. No team is going to trade anything of value for him, because he isn't very valuable.

dude do you really think anybody is going to take you serious with a name like meloshouldgo"on a topic of melo..Everyone knows where you stand, you couldn't give 2 shts about what they do to get him out of here, you would take on the worst contract in the nba as long as melo is off the knicks

ES
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
5/23/2017  10:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/23/2017  10:03 PM
Not sure why Knicks should even spend time on moving him.
If Melo wants to get somewhere his agent should work on some acceptable trade for the Knicks.
If he wants to stay let him play.
Knicks need some attraction to get Garden loaded while rebuilding and losing for another 2 years.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/23/2017  11:03 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:I think waiving him is a good option. Or taking back more tradeable contacts. Being married to the idea that we can get "value" for Melo will lead to disappointment. No team is going to trade anything of value for him, because he isn't very valuable.

A 54 million dollar cap hit over the next two yearsbecause Phil gave out an untradeable contract. And the money is spent so Phil can make things work with his next roster reset? Sounds like a sold plan.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
5/24/2017  10:36 AM
Surprised nobody's proposing Lin for Melo straight up. Or is it because Brooklyn would need at least 4 1st rounders as compensation?

Yeah, and i'm sure CampMelo is dying to move to Philly, to spend the last few years of his window as part of the "process"...

knicks1248
Member: #582
5/24/2017  10:56 AM
jrodmc wrote:Surprised nobody's proposing Lin for Melo straight up. Or is it because Brooklyn would need at least 4 1st rounders as compensation?

Yeah, and i'm sure CampMelo is dying to move to Philly, to spend the last few years of his window as part of the "process"...

lol

ES
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

5/24/2017  11:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2017  11:12 AM
jskinny35 wrote:Know Melo wants to go to a winner - but the pickings are slim... if we can't get a reasonable deal with the Clippers, Cavs or Celts - what about trying to send Melo to the Nets or Sixers? He may accept it if it gets him away from Phil and still allows him to be close to his kid. For the record I'd prefer getting Crowder back in a Celts deal but not sure it can happen. I hate the idea of waiving him as he can still play - just seems it won't be for us... Assuming Melo would agree - would anybody do either of these deals if the only alternative was waive him or just sit him? I would consider the Nets deal purely for irony and future draft potential

Melo will not waive his NTC ro go to either of those teams or any teams that isn't ready to win right away. He'll just stay with the Knicks if he can't get to a team he wants to go to. He doesn't have to deal with Phil really besides when he's sitting around at practice and i'm sure he'll find ways to deal with him at those times. I can absolutely see Melo in a Knicks uniform next season but for the record....i'd take either one of those deals and be very happy with either but i don't see either team doing those deals besides maybe Philly but definitely not the Nets.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/24/2017  11:22 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

dude do you really think anybody is going to take you serious with a name like meloshouldgo"on a topic of melo..Everyone knows where you stand, you couldn't give 2 shts about what they do to get him out of here, you would take on the worst contract in the nba as long as melo is off the knicks

When I read this impersonating Trump voice, it starts to make sense.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/24/2017  11:26 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

A 54 million dollar cap hit over the next two yearsbecause Phil gave out an untradeable contract. And the money is spent so Phil can make things work with his next roster reset? Sounds like a sold plan.

This...

Nalod
USA
5/24/2017  11:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2017  11:30 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

So basically your in the camp that

1. Layden is responsible for McDyess
2. Grunfeld for Houstans contract
3. ISiah for 2008 market cap of $119million
4. Walsh for Amare's contract
5. Walsh for Melo trade
6. Phil for Melo's NTC and contract........

And you don't see a pattern here beyond blame? What makes you think that PHil being gone would be an end to the maddness?
I don't think Noah's contract is a franchise killer. I believe Melo's deal was inherited by phil.
what is different now is we are keeping our picks. That is very big. Even bigger than Phils mistakes. Of course, there are some that think the Spurs assitant GM wunderkid would never do wrong.

17-32-31 wins over three years is not Nalod being happy.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/24/2017  11:35 AM
The problem with the Clippers is that outside of Griffin, Jordan and CP3, they don't have anything anybody else wants.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/24/2017  11:47 AM
Saw this story about how Russell liked a comment about not drafting Lonzo Ball, then unliked it. Wouldnt be surprised if he wants to bail if Ball is drafted.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-dangelo-russell-doesnt-want-l-a-to-draft-lonzo-ball/2017/05/23/?ref=yfp

I would offer Melo, the 8th pick, for Russell and filler, with hopefully some cap relief. Russell and KP would make a great tandem, eventually.

fwk00
Member: #6048

5/24/2017  11:52 AM
I don't think this trade will even be considered but if Anthony wanted to emulate the pattern that LeBron established with Cleveland which is to say go to a team with great young talent that is ready to blossom and that emphasizes defense in a way that will complement his shortcomings then Minnesota would be a great destination.

Thibodeau coaches and they're loaded with young talent that can play.

Melo and Plumlee for Rubio, Aldrich, and 7 could more or less work with a tweak or two. Melo would land on a great team, Knicks finally get Rubio and Aldrich already knows the system.

Win-Win assuming Minny would have interest.

Nalod
USA
5/24/2017  1:30 PM
fwk00 wrote:I don't think this trade will even be considered but if Anthony wanted to emulate the pattern that LeBron established with Cleveland which is to say go to a team with great young talent that is ready to blossom and that emphasizes defense in a way that will complement his shortcomings then Minnesota would be a great destination.

Melo and Plumlee for Rubio, Aldrich, and 7 could more or less work with a tweak or two. Melo would land on a great team, Knicks finally get Rubio and Aldrich already knows the system.

Melo has the coat and hat all ready!!

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

5/24/2017  1:59 PM
fwk00 wrote:I don't think this trade will even be considered but if Anthony wanted to emulate the pattern that LeBron established with Cleveland which is to say go to a team with great young talent that is ready to blossom and that emphasizes defense in a way that will complement his shortcomings then Minnesota would be a great destination.

Minny is not really loaded with young talent. If you take away Rubio they are left with one great offensive player and one player that showed great improvement but injured himself, and one vastly overrated young player who plays zero defense. They will look a little better if they can draft Isaac and he pans out though. Unless Minny can go out and get paul/Lowry to sign with them then that would be a silly move to go somewhere void of talent in the western conference.

fwk00
Member: #6048

5/24/2017  2:17 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:

Minny is not really loaded with young talent. If you take away Rubio they are left with one great offensive player and one player that showed great improvement but injured himself, and one vastly overrated young player who plays zero defense. They will look a little better if they can draft Isaac and he pans out though. Unless Minny can go out and get paul/Lowry to sign with them then that would be a silly move to go somewhere void of talent in the western conference.

Title of the thread is "unlikely". I happen to think its a practical deal for both teams. Minny loses nothing except a draft pick and gains an aging but useful star player.

Towns, Dunn, LaVine, Payne, Wiggins, and Dieng aren't chopped liver. If Towns is a keeper the rest are movable pieces just as Cleveland moved some bodies.

Not sure pick 7 moves the needle for them as much as adding a Melo would.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/24/2017  2:17 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Saw this story about how Russell liked a comment about not drafting Lonzo Ball, then unliked it. Wouldnt be surprised if he wants to bail if Ball is drafted.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-dangelo-russell-doesnt-want-l-a-to-draft-lonzo-ball/2017/05/23/?ref=yfp

I would offer Melo, the 8th pick, for Russell and filler, with hopefully some cap relief. Russell and KP would make a great tandem, eventually.

I think this is the best bet. We probably take a toxic contract like Deng back packaged with Russell for Melo. I think Knicks have to pull the trigger on that. Agree... I have not lost faith that Russell will be a top flight player.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Unlikely and worst case Melo trade options

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy