Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/24/2017  8:20 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
franco12 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:We need better players period... we need vets that can play on both ends just like some of you guys are saying.... but what i can't understand is who do the other half of you guys think we're going to sign next year? We're not gong to get Durant or Lebron... we are rebuilding. No superstars wants to be here... but we can sign guys that see the big picture and want the opportunity to play and mentor young guys.

Bottom line is we souls be interested inn good players. Tucker, cunningham and Simmons are good players.

How much did Tucker help Phx? How much did Cunningham help N.O.? DO you really want to bet on Cunningham coming off the best year he has ever had from three? These are average players that are okay when they are hidden by great players that can carry the load. When they have to play roles on bad teams they are not useful. On top of that you are giving money to two players above 30 who are more than likely are going to get worst. It makes zero sense to waste time on players like that.

Save the money for teams who are looking to dumb players like that and will give you a 1st rd pick to do it.

Folks need to be honest with themselves- we're 3-5 years away from being a real franchise again. KP is at least 2-3 years away from being strong enough to stand his ground.

we're adding an 8th pick & trying to dump Melo. We need to tank next year - because if KP doesn't become a franchise talent, we'll be stuck in a mediocre circle of hell - barely able to get to the play offs, first round exits.

Doesn't matter one way or the other who we sign.

Now if you want to get some vets on the minimum not named Sasha go right ahead.

We have 19 mil to spend... we have Courtney Lee 12 million. We aren't paying the 3 guys mentioned 12 mil.... but maybe 8 mil. It would be a nice addition to the roster. Doesn't have to be those 3.... just skilled 2 way players that give a damn. We need that.... we would have to wait for the contending teams to get their guys first. Hopefully we can snag another tough 2 way guy once the market settles.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/24/2017  8:21 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
franco12 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:We need better players period... we need vets that can play on both ends just like some of you guys are saying.... but what i can't understand is who do the other half of you guys think we're going to sign next year? We're not gong to get Durant or Lebron... we are rebuilding. No superstars wants to be here... but we can sign guys that see the big picture and want the opportunity to play and mentor young guys.

Bottom line is we souls be interested inn good players. Tucker, cunningham and Simmons are good players.

How much did Tucker help Phx? How much did Cunningham help N.O.? DO you really want to bet on Cunningham coming off the best year he has ever had from three? These are average players that are okay when they are hidden by great players that can carry the load. When they have to play roles on bad teams they are not useful. On top of that you are giving money to two players above 30 who are more than likely are going to get worst. It makes zero sense to waste time on players like that.

Save the money for teams who are looking to dumb players like that and will give you a 1st rd pick to do it.

Folks need to be honest with themselves- we're 3-5 years away from being a real franchise again. KP is at least 2-3 years away from being strong enough to stand his ground.

we're adding an 8th pick & trying to dump Melo. We need to tank next year - because if KP doesn't become a franchise talent, we'll be stuck in a mediocre circle of hell - barely able to get to the play offs, first round exits.

We have 19 mil to spend... we have Courtney Lee 12 million. We aren't paying the 3 guys mentioned 12 mil.... but maybe 8 mil. It would be a nice addition to the roster. Doesn't have to be those 3.... just skilled 2 way players that give a damn. We need that.... we would have to wait for the contending teams to get their guys first. Hopefully we can snag another tough 2 way guy once the market settles.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

5/24/2017  8:42 AM
My frustration with the Knicks is their inability to walk and chew gum at the same time. I understand the value in acquiring wise, gritty veterans but you can do that by using your cap space to acquire those same types of veterans that playoff teams can't afford or don't want WITH A FIRST ROUND PICK:

DeMarre Carroll is eligible to be traded with a first round pick.

Evan Turner is eligible to be traded with a first round pick.

Brandon Knight is eligible to be traded with a protected first round pick.

Omer Asik and Alexis Ajinca might be traded with a first round pick.

Pau Gasol (depending on what happens with CP3 and the Spurs this offseason) might be traded.

Chris Bosh is eligible to be traded with some type of draft compensation.

Why not target one of these guys who have a wealth of experience and bring back additional assets in the process as opposed to signing comparable players outright without the silver lining? The Knicks NEVER seem to make the kind of moves that consistently benefit the future, which is why we always find ourselves in a bad predicament and strapped for assets.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

5/24/2017  8:47 AM
nixluva wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

They want Melo to stay, Phil to be fired, Woodson to be coach and whatever manner starfukk possible to "win now". Oh and throw in 54 wins and blah blah blah..

The internet is FULL of this kind of thinking SMDH! It's like they never saw anything that happened over the last few years. There aren't any SAVIORS coming to the Knicks! We have to grow our own stars!!! Put quality role players around them and see how it develops.

Dude, cut the ****. You were the same dude hyping up every win-now acquisition as recently as this offseason while MOST of the posters on this board were advocating a tank/shift exclusively to Porzingis and his development. You are re-writing history.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/24/2017  8:59 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:Lee is adequate. He's Phil's least bad large contract. He's definitely not something to aspire to, though. You can't use the space of half of a max contract on a player like him. You need veteran role players on a rebuilding team, yes, but you shouldn't have to spend 8 figures per year on that unless the player is very good. You want something to aspire to? How about $7 mil a season on Jae Crowder? How about watching the teams still in the playoffs and learning from them in general? If you want something to aspire to, you're not going to find it on our current roster.

I saw this article yesterday and my first thought was "gee, I really hope Bonn doesn't see this"... I was worried for your health lol

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

5/24/2017  9:21 AM
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

They want Melo to stay, Phil to be fired, Woodson to be coach and whatever manner starfukk possible to "win now". Oh and throw in 54 wins and blah blah blah..

Exaggerate much?!

Actually no, I dont think I do.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
meloshouldgo

5/24/2017  9:25 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:Lee is adequate. He's Phil's least bad large contract. He's definitely not something to aspire to, though. You can't use the space of half of a max contract on a player like him. You need veteran role players on a rebuilding team, yes, but you shouldn't have to spend 8 figures per year on that unless the player is very good. You want something to aspire to? How about $7 mil a season on Jae Crowder? How about watching the teams still in the playoffs and learning from them in general? If you want something to aspire to, you're not going to find it on our current roster.

So this I agree with. I thought what was being debated is the type of player and not the price. We do need multiple two way team first players at all positions. And ideally we would want them at a decent price. But I am willing to pay a premium for players with the right mindset as opposed to paying a premium for players with just one skill and a lot of baggage. Our dearth of first round picks leading up to this year is taking its toll on the roster.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/24/2017  9:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2017  9:38 AM
EnySpree wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
franco12 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

19 million now, but deals might be made over the summer to give the Knicks more cap room. I agree with those who say we need more veterans on the bench, we played more rookies than any other team I believe. That's good to a point. Just dont want to see Phil go on a binge if he manages to increase the Knicks cap space.

Hopefully KP is around to renew his contract in a couple of seasons, and having the cap room to go after top tier free agents or quality role players will be important. Don't want to see any more deals like Noah got between now and then.

wargames
Member: #6053

5/24/2017  9:48 AM
NardDogNation wrote:My frustration with the Knicks is their inability to walk and chew gum at the same time. I understand the value in acquiring wise, gritty veterans but you can do that by using your cap space to acquire those same types of veterans that playoff teams can't afford or don't want WITH A FIRST ROUND PICK:

Pau Gasol (depending on what happens with CP3 and the Spurs this offseason) might be traded.

Why not target one of these guys who have a wealth of experience and bring back additional assets in the process as opposed to signing comparable players outright without the silver lining? The Knicks NEVER seem to make the kind of moves that consistently benefit the future, which is why we always find ourselves in a bad predicament and strapped for assets.

Because as you said the Knicks FO can't walk and chew gum at the same time unfortunately......

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/24/2017  11:23 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Exaggerate much?!

I guess I would be considered a part of the dark side since I mos def dont have any confidence in phil at all...However, I'm in the full-rebuild camp not this half-ass, one foot in one foot out, rebuild or not to rebuild, mode that phil is in tinkering with while he changes direction every year ...if it were up to me, I would push the reset button and get rid of phil, Melo, and the entire coaching staff...

So speaking for myself, firing phil does not equal we are in the Melo camp and want to star-fl***!

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

5/24/2017  11:35 AM
fishmike wrote:
reub wrote:I don't think that we should just throw away next season already. Acquiring Rubio, PJ Tucker and say, drafting OG (if healthy) and Thornwell would make us a tough, defensive minded team.
it would certainly put us closer to a real identity. I think the idea is what I mentioned above. We draft an impact player. Maybe a guy like Dennis Smith who was really the best player in the draft but coming off an ACL so he drops to 8. We get 65-70 healthy games from Lance and Noah. We sign a guy like Tucker. Baker takes a step forward as a nice 3&D guy in the rotation, KP and Willy takes steps forward... we get balance from a Melo trade. Maybe even a decent player. Who knows... off season hasnt started yet. People are going bat**** crazy if KP's toilet get clogged.

Wait a minute...............................KP's toilet got clogged and nobody made a thread about it?? People are slacking around here.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/24/2017  3:59 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
fishmike wrote:
reub wrote:I don't think that we should just throw away next season already. Acquiring Rubio, PJ Tucker and say, drafting OG (if healthy) and Thornwell would make us a tough, defensive minded team.
it would certainly put us closer to a real identity. I think the idea is what I mentioned above. We draft an impact player. Maybe a guy like Dennis Smith who was really the best player in the draft but coming off an ACL so he drops to 8. We get 65-70 healthy games from Lance and Noah. We sign a guy like Tucker. Baker takes a step forward as a nice 3&D guy in the rotation, KP and Willy takes steps forward... we get balance from a Melo trade. Maybe even a decent player. Who knows... off season hasnt started yet. People are going bat**** crazy if KP's toilet get clogged.

Wait a minute...............................KP's toilet got clogged and nobody made a thread about it?? People are slacking around here.

they did actually http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=56454
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/24/2017  4:31 PM
NardDogNation wrote:My frustration with the Knicks is their inability to walk and chew gum at the same time. I understand the value in acquiring wise, gritty veterans but you can do that by using your cap space to acquire those same types of veterans that playoff teams can't afford or don't want WITH A FIRST ROUND PICK:

I agree 100% and is the route to go. Wesley Mathews and Demarre Carroll packaged with picks. Turner and Knight run to long for me. But Matthews and Carroll have 2 yrs left which we can request pick now and future pick. Or 2 future picks from Dallas if they won't come off #9. Give us hard working lunch pale vets and picks to build with.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/24/2017  5:02 PM
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Exaggerate much?!

I guess I would be considered a part of the dark side since I mos def dont have any confidence in phil at all...However, I'm in the full-rebuild camp not this half-ass, one foot in one foot out, rebuild or not to rebuild, mode that phil is in tinkering with while he changes direction every year ...if it were up to me, I would push the reset button and get rid of phil, Melo, and the entire coaching staff...

So speaking for myself, firing phil does not equal we are in the Melo camp and want to star-fl***!

Well said. I agree with this as well.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

5/24/2017  5:31 PM
franco12 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

This. Stay the course and hope you draft a player that can make a difference in the next 3 years. Its are only shot at becoming meaningful. It sure wont be through free agency. Agree that these tyoe of players are solid and may add to a young players development but who cares? We are 3 to 5 years away from needing good character role players. Unless you believe we have a terrible coaching staff? Wait...ok, get them in right away. The thing I get a kick out of is how anyone really thinks these guys would want to sign here unless we, once again, overpay. Has anyone followed this **** show and realize what a joke we are? The only FA's coming are Noah/Over the hill type's that are looking for their last big retirement pay check from someone stupid enough to pay it......Knicks? You get rid of Melo you have to go with true rebuild and tank next 2 years. These role players will jsut take playing time away from the young guys your trying to develop.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
knicks1248
Member: #582
5/24/2017  5:52 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Exaggerate much?!

Well said. I agree with this as well.

I also agree...people take me for being anti phil,but im just basing my feelings on the out come of the last 3 season, which has been depressing to say the least, and the drama is isaiah like all day, minus the sexual harassment.

ES
knicks1248
Member: #582
5/24/2017  5:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2017  6:00 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
franco12 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

This. Stay the course and hope you draft a player that can make a difference in the next 3 years. Its are only shot at becoming meaningful. It sure wont be through free agency. Agree that these tyoe of players are solid and may add to a young players development but who cares? We are 3 to 5 years away from needing good character role players. Unless you believe we have a terrible coaching staff? Wait...ok, get them in right away. The thing I get a kick out of is how anyone really thinks these guys would want to sign here unless we, once again, overpay. Has anyone followed this **** show and realize what a joke we are? The only FA's coming are Noah/Over the hill type's that are looking for their last big retirement pay check from someone stupid enough to pay it......Knicks? You get rid of Melo you have to go with true rebuild and tank next 2 years. These role players will jsut take playing time away from the young guys your trying to develop.

the celtics won 24 games in the 06/07 season, made one trade to get KG, signed ray allan, and won 66 games and a championship the very next yr. So it's all about smart trading, and FA signings, and obvious coaching..

ES
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

5/24/2017  6:55 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
franco12 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

the celtics won 24 games in the 06/07 season, made one trade to get KG, signed ray allan, and won 66 games and a championship the very next yr. So it's all about smart trading, and FA signings, and obvious coaching..

ainge and mchale making deals, who likes phil that much

meloshouldgo

5/24/2017  7:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2017  7:56 PM
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Exaggerate much?!

Ok fair enough, I honestly don't remember what if any your positions were about the rebuild the last couple of years. But some of the Melo crowd have been intentionally disingenuous about it. They talk rebuild as a way to blame Phil and deflect blame from Melo. Just look at the number of anti Phil articles posted here plus whole threads started based on a single tweet from some noname dumb hick because he was willing to take a dump on Phil. Phils made some big mistakes and he may never deliver us to a elite team status, but I think despite not having any picks and Melos NTC he is trying to move in the right direction.

Melo has never tried to play defense or buy into the team concept. Yet post after post his fans give him a pass to dump on Phil. Agenda driven posting that changes subjects and steers clear of holding Melo accountable for anything doesn't impress me.

I have been wanting us to get rid of Melo from the point of time where he clearly put himself and his personal interests ahead of the team in the D'Antoni era. Once a player does that to the Knicks they are dead to me. I don't care how many MVP awards and scoring titles they win. I need players that are proud to be Knicks and will leave everything on the floor. I need John Starks and Oakley. Players who think they are making a "sacrifice" to play for the Knicks can go fukk themselves.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/24/2017  8:41 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

The internet is FULL of this kind of thinking SMDH! It's like they never saw anything that happened over the last few years. There aren't any SAVIORS coming to the Knicks! We have to grow our own stars!!! Put quality role players around them and see how it develops.

Dude, cut the ****. You were the same dude hyping up every win-now acquisition as recently as this offseason while MOST of the posters on this board were advocating a tank/shift exclusively to Porzingis and his development. You are re-writing history.

GTFOH! I always mentioned that the moves were worth a shot because they weren't locked into Rose or Jennings and we had 3 Picks. It wasn't an ALL IN set of moves. NOW we no longer have to worry about trying to do something along Melo's timeline.

ESPN: Knicks looking for more players like Courtney Lee in free agency

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy