Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/18/2004  7:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/knicks/inthepaint/vinbakerqa_040818.html
Baker looks forward to a big role with Knicks next season
Vin Baker Q & A
by Sam Schalman-Bergen

NEW YORK, NY, August 18, 2004 -- Knicks forward Vin Baker re-signed with the team Wednesday. Baker joined the team last season on March 12 and played 17 games for the Knicks, averaging 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds per game and helped the Knicks make the playoffs. Vin sat down with NYKnicks.com to talk about his off-season as well as his goals for the upcoming season.
Q: How has the off-season been for you?
A: It's been great. I have been able to train and work out. I’ve been playing a lot of basketball, trying to get my rhythm back. I had the heart procedure that really got my into a better frame of mind, knowing that I can put my finger onto what was going on. I’m excited about my health. It’s great. I got my energy level. I’m at 245 and I’m ready to go.

Q: Did being close to home impact your decision to staying on the East Coast?
A: Definitely. My children. My family. I'm really close to my family. I'm really close to everyone in the state of Connecticut. Obviously, no knock against Boston, because Boston was a great experience and a great city, but playing in the Mecca of basketball is really exciting for my family.

Q: You have played with the Bucks, Sonics, and Celtics? Do you hope to finish your career with the Knicks?
A: I would love to. That was a big part of my decision of not really looking at other ideas as far as going other places. I wanted to stay close to home. The opportunity came at the end of the season in a different way but God works in mysterious ways. I’d love to finish my career here and I’m excited about having this contract with New York because it’s a great place to play. Plus we have got a chance to win.

Q: Do you have any favorite restaurants or places to go in the city?
A: There are so many places to go. I just like the fact that there’s a deli everywhere, with fresh fruit, fresh everything on every block. There is no city that has that.

Q: What work has your charities been involved with lately?
A: The Stand-Tall Foundation, my foundation, we have a Cancer Society. We have a YMCA Boys and Girls Club. We do events every year for those. We have a scholarship fund at the University of Hartford that we give out to an inner-city kid to go to school at the University of Hartford for four years, so we work hard every year.

Q: You had your number retired at Hartford, played in four all-star games, won a gold medal in the 2000 Olympics, hit some game-winning shots. What is the best moment of your career?
A: There have been so many moments. I think it is probably winning the gold medal, with my parents and my son there. It was just a huge moment. You never really realize how important basketball is. You go out and play and you get paid for it, but to do it for something patriotic is great. It’s like going to basketball camp and you're a kid again, and all the gloves are off. It’s about something more pure and something much more serious.

Q: Is there anything left that you want to accomplish?
A: Honestly, at this point of my career, it’s to be on a team with an opportunity to win, and I think New York has a chance to win a championship. I think winning a championship and not just making the playoffs, but actually winning and being on a championship run would pretty much the biggest accomplishment of my career.

Q: What kind of role do you see yourself playing on the team this year?
A: Of course I’d love to start. I’ve been a starter the majority of my career and it would be great to be on the floor. I’m gonna work hard. I think my significance on this team is to be productive. You can’t label it as a starter, non-starter. A lot of people get to a certain stage in their career, it’s "I’ve got to start," but for me, it’s coming in and being productive. If I’m productive, my biggest thought process is about being productive, and the rest of it will take care of itself. And if I’m productive, I can give this team a chance to win and that is the most important thing. Whether that means coming off the bench or starting, I think I’ll give this team a chance a win.

Q: From a defensive standpoint, what position do you feel most comfortable with?
A: I can play both the 4 and the 5. I’ve played the 5 position the last three or four years of my career. But I think I can play the 4. I am much more comfortable there, but I can also play the 5. Until we play Miami (laughs) and then I’ll be a forward.

Q: What do you think about Shaquille O’Neal returning to the Eastern Conference?
A: I think its great for Miami and great for the Eastern Conference. It obviously puts Miami in a different stage of their young team. They'll be contenders and they'll be in the fight, just like we will. Detroit showed there is a way to beat Shaquille. And now, he doesn’t have 3 other Hall-of-Famers around him down there, so I think it's great for the league. I think it shifts the balance now. It’s gonna be really neat to watch, especially for the fans here in the Garden. But I think Detroit showed a lot of people a lot of things about how to beat teams with stars. It’s not just about having the best star or the best group of stars.

Q: What do you think about the Jerome Williams and Jamal Crawford acquisition?
A: I'm excited about having Jerome and Jamal here. Junk Yard Dog is gonna work hard every night. He’s just a hard worker. I’ve had a lot of wars with him and he’s not gonna stop and that’s great for this team. All the players that this team has had in the past, Oakley, Anthony Mason, John Starks. I think he fits in that same mold, where he is just a hard worker, and the fans will really appreciate him and I know as a teammate, I’ll appreciate him. Jamal is one of the top young talents in the league. He’s the And-1 tape, he’s everything. He’s an excellent player. The Garden is in for a huge treat. I don’t think people realize understand, but fortunately our President (Isiah Thomas) understood how valuable this kid is gonna be in the next five or six years.
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/18/2004  8:39 PM
Good read.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/18/2004  9:57 PM
Vin will start, avg 12 and 8, and be the comeback player of the year.

Isiah will look like a genious on this one!

The Garden will stop selling beer and mixed drinks!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/18/2004  11:12 PM
At first I liked the idea of starting KT and Sweetney but now that I think about it KT & Baker might be better because they give us both offense and defense whereas Sweetney's game problably isn't polished yet but he can be a great spark off the bench. As for Nazr...he's good insurance. You never have enough big men. Naz can get 8-10min a night.
Bonn1997
USA
8/18/2004  11:17 PM
If after heart surgery Baker is the same player he was 10 months ago with Boston, it's hard not to put him in the starting lineup.
NineMike2Whiskey
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #732
8/18/2004  11:56 PM
I really hope he stays off the booze, its not just his career on the line but his life as well. If he plays well and ends his career on a high he'll have restored his pride (which I think is the only reason he is still playing) and might never relapse again. If he hits the booze and stinks up the Knicks, there will be no second chance and he'll just drown his sorrows away in scotch for the rest of his life.......
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/19/2004  12:04 AM
this is a double-edged sword. yeah vin baker is still a good player--and by the way in his prime he makes Dampier look like a chump---he used to deal on Patrick when Patrick was still good. but :>) what is the plan?

now we have

5 players for two positions and Mike Sweetney needs to get 35 minutes. where is vin playing where is nazr KT JYD etc... I dont want a 33 year old player taking minutes away from sweetney--that includes both KT and Baker. and others want Keon Clark???? why? what is the plan with this team-i still dont get it--we dont have 1! wait make the playoffs and hope for a run!

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
8/19/2004  12:33 AM
Play 6'11" Baker at C and have him take zero minutes away from Sweetney
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/19/2004  1:41 AM
i forgot about Junkyard
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
8/19/2004  1:49 AM
Nice interview--- it sounds like Baker has his life back together. He said he's down to 245-- around what he weighed early in his NBA career! I remember when he blew up in Seattle; there were rumors he weighed around 300 for a while. I wonder if he's regained some of his old game. He used to be killer.

I forgot about this--- Baker and Houston were teammates on the 2000 Olympic team.
I'm expecting Baker, Sweetney, and KT40 to get major minutes at the 4/5 slots. KT has played well at the center position, and he's always been willing to bang with the big boys. I think there's enough playing time to get each of these guys about 30mpg. Of the 3, KT is the most proven as a Knick... so you'd expect him to get his fair share.

KT 30
Sweetney 28
Baker 25
Nazr 15

I'm not sure where JYD fits in--- doesn't he play some SF too? This position is where Penny, Anderson, and perhaps Ariza will also be squeezing in.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Baker Q & A (Aug 18)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy