USA
5/17/2017  1:31 PM
assumed gone: 1-4 Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum
best of rest (in no order)
5 Fox
6 Monk
7 Isaac
8 Ntilikina

Certainly a dark horse (or two) could emerge and change things, but as I see it any one of these guys could end up being a high end NBA player. I am not worried about who will be there, only taking the right guy.

I think the Louisville kid could shoot up (Mitchell).

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/17/2017  1:38 PM
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:I like Smith, but not for the Knicks. I think he's a bit selfish.

uh oh first i heard of this...can you please explain how..
I think its a fair knock. Smith constantly overdribbles. You see tons of penetration followed by no play so he brings the ball back out. There were times he looked liked Iverson just dribbling all over the damn place until he got a seem to score or make a play. He's got insane quickness but Im not sure how his game translates. He's smaller than Monk and a TO machine as well. If they workout Smith and take him it means he really impressed, most likely with his mouth and what he had to say. He's very untriangle. Over dribble, high usage and small.

It would be a mistake to draft simply for the triangle. Phil's days are numbered.

everyone's days are numbered. You pick guys that fit into your vision and style of play.

Or you pick guys that can flat out play. The vision is to win, that's for all teams.

so what guys who "can flat out play" are not good triangle players?

If a guy can flat out play, the system isn't as vital. You just don't draft for a system, especially for a franchise as shaky as the Knicks. You just go after the best talent. And imo, Smith is probably the BPA at 8. "Tons of penetration followed by no play" is also a likelihood of NC State's lack of talent. His 6'1" size with shoes is taller than Chris Paul, Kemba Walker and Conley although wingspan is an issue.

I thought this was a good read:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/5/17/15639494/nba-draft-2017-scouting-profile-dennis-smith-jr

Its mostly regurgitated what draftexpress has.. however we just read this too much: "question marks on his size, defensive instincts, and effort."

Is there a bigger red flag than worries about size defense and effort? That screams of a guy who gets by on talent and speed which we know wont work at the next level. There was a lot of dysfunction on that team as well. Was Smith part of the problem?

Paris907
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6099
USA
5/17/2017  2:04 PM
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2017-nba-consensus-mock-draft-ver-3-0/
Fox 🦊 could be there at 8!
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

5/17/2017  3:11 PM
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:I like Smith, but not for the Knicks. I think he's a bit selfish.

I think its a fair knock. Smith constantly overdribbles. You see tons of penetration followed by no play so he brings the ball back out. There were times he looked liked Iverson just dribbling all over the damn place until he got a seem to score or make a play. He's got insane quickness but Im not sure how his game translates. He's smaller than Monk and a TO machine as well. If they workout Smith and take him it means he really impressed, most likely with his mouth and what he had to say. He's very untriangle. Over dribble, high usage and small.

It would be a mistake to draft simply for the triangle. Phil's days are numbered.

everyone's days are numbered. You pick guys that fit into your vision and style of play.

Or you pick guys that can flat out play. The vision is to win, that's for all teams.

If a guy can flat out play, the system isn't as vital. You just don't draft for a system, especially for a franchise as shaky as the Knicks. You just go after the best talent. And imo, Smith is probably the BPA at 8. "Tons of penetration followed by no play" is also a likelihood of NC State's lack of talent. His 6'1" size with shoes is taller than Chris Paul, Kemba Walker and Conley although wingspan is an issue.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/5/17/15639494/nba-draft-2017-scouting-profile-dennis-smith-jr

Its mostly regurgitated what draftexpress has.. however we just read this too much: "question marks on his size, defensive instincts, and effort."

Is there a bigger red flag than worries about size defense and effort? That screams of a guy who gets by on talent and speed which we know wont work at the next level. There was a lot of dysfunction on that team as well. Was Smith part of the problem?

Gotta take your view with a grain of salt. You wanted Ok4 over Towns, as Towns was the next Javale Mcgee.

Sorry bro.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/17/2017  3:26 PM
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Gotta take your view with a grain of salt. You wanted Ok4 over Towns, as Towns was the next Javale Mcgee.

Sorry bro.

furthest thing from what I said. I did like OK4 more, and while I voiced my "concerns" with Towns I never said he wasnt a top flight prospect ANY team including the Knicks would be happy to have. I always thought Towns was good, but tough to evaluate playing on that team, while OK4 did more with less. I was dead wrong on that.

You've never been wrong on one of these guys? You have no concern about a guy who would be one of the smallest players in the league coming from a losing program where his effort was questioned? All non-factors?

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

5/17/2017  3:29 PM
Paris907 wrote:http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2017-nba-consensus-mock-draft-ver-3-0/
Fox 🦊 could be there at 8!

Workouts might change things...who knows what teams see or don't see in a player.

Some don't see the workouts as important, but I do. Guys are also working on things...

One thing about Kentucky and Calipari- Towns and Booker showed much more once they were away from the restriction Cal put on them. Of course Stein did not show the same breakout as a player once he was away from Kentucky, though he was an older player who had been there a number of years, so his game was better known by that time.

We will hear rumors about workouts at some point...OK4 suffered because of his LA workouts, as did Mudiay, I think.

We will see.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

5/17/2017  3:32 PM
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Sorry bro.

furthest thing from what I said. I did like OK4 more, and while I voiced my "concerns" with Towns I never said he wasnt a top flight prospect ANY team including the Knicks would be happy to have. I always thought Towns was good, but tough to evaluate playing on that team, while OK4 did more with less. I was dead wrong on that.

You've never been wrong on one of these guys? You have no concern about a guy who would be one of the smallest players in the league coming from a losing program where his effort was questioned? All non-factors?

Towns was on a leash at KU, OK4 was the top dog with an offense that revolved around him. Tough to judge them in some ways, but OK4 detractors, like myself, were dead on about his terrible defensive ability, which is why I put Towns over him.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

5/17/2017  3:38 PM
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

I think the size issues will be resolved once teams get a new measurement on him. His last "official" measurement was when he was 16 y/o. I imagined he has grown since then and I think he is probably near the same height as Fox but 15-20 lbs heavier.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/17/2017  3:39 PM
Vmart wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Vmart wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I'm not a fan of Nilikina at all, the final nail on the coffin for me was when some scouts started saying he wasn't a pg- as a shooting guard he's awful. Doesn't seem to have the basic skill set to be anything other than a bust- he seems like a less athletic second coming of Exum.

I'd prefer Isaac at this point, but I'm curious - can anyone suggest some names we haven't already discussed much? Like that SG in Australia?

Ferguson is someone I wouldn't be to upset at picking. He is from Dallas area and he is big time athlete. His upside is huge due to his ability to create and handle. Measure in at 6-7 ideal sg material. Has a good shooting form will get better as he develops.

Wow he looks like a bust. Id much rather have either Frank Jackson or Diallo on a trade back. Not interested in Ferguson--he looks timid and far far off. Good NBA body --but no goods.

Im not sure where the Knicks are going to go with this---I think they like Nikintina--so I will pull for him. I can understand the concept of wanting to improve your defense BUT the high octane offensive nBA demands you score big to win. Id put F Jackson Nikitina Dennis Smith(no way Fox gets to 8) into a gym for 4 hours and look at their play.

The Lakers Philly Orlando and Sacramento are taking PG's Minny will take Issac or Lauri M--

Bust? This guy is athletic and has a shooting stroke plays defense. What more do you want from a player?

The only real red flag I see with the kid is the league he played in. Other than that, I can't see anything that precludes him from being a NBAer.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

5/17/2017  3:42 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I am hoping we get Jonathan Isaac.

I like him too...but someone would have to move up out of nowhere for him to drop to us.

Not sure Phil has talked about him, or that he's been mentioned as a possible target...something that has disappointed me, because he was on my top 3 list for where I thought we would draft.

Our scouting department has been tight-lipped the past two drafts. I won't presume anything at this point.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
reub
Member: #6227

5/17/2017  4:01 PM
We take Frank. Frank is our destiny and we need to embrace it.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
5/17/2017  4:44 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Vmart wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Vmart wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I'm not a fan of Nilikina at all, the final nail on the coffin for me was when some scouts started saying he wasn't a pg- as a shooting guard he's awful. Doesn't seem to have the basic skill set to be anything other than a bust- he seems like a less athletic second coming of Exum.

I'd prefer Isaac at this point, but I'm curious - can anyone suggest some names we haven't already discussed much? Like that SG in Australia?

Ferguson is someone I wouldn't be to upset at picking. He is from Dallas area and he is big time athlete. His upside is huge due to his ability to create and handle. Measure in at 6-7 ideal sg material. Has a good shooting form will get better as he develops.

Wow he looks like a bust. Id much rather have either Frank Jackson or Diallo on a trade back. Not interested in Ferguson--he looks timid and far far off. Good NBA body --but no goods.

Im not sure where the Knicks are going to go with this---I think they like Nikintina--so I will pull for him. I can understand the concept of wanting to improve your defense BUT the high octane offensive nBA demands you score big to win. Id put F Jackson Nikitina Dennis Smith(no way Fox gets to 8) into a gym for 4 hours and look at their play.

The Lakers Philly Orlando and Sacramento are taking PG's Minny will take Issac or Lauri M--

Bust? This guy is athletic and has a shooting stroke plays defense. What more do you want from a player?

The only real red flag I see with the kid is the league he played in. Other than that, I can't see anything that precludes him from being a NBAer.

He is only 1 year removed from play in he Nike hoops with all the freshmen coming out now. I like this kids besides have you seen some of these Australians for a country of so few they produce athletes. Just look at the NBA there are so many. I think the competition is fine it's much more polished than the Chinese leagues. Where they have to keep two or three Chinese players on court all the time.

I'm making my case for Ferguson.

My wish list

Ferguson
Ntlikina
Issac
Fox

JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

5/17/2017  4:55 PM
We ain't drafting Ferguson.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/17/2017  4:56 PM
I'd trade back slightly and take Frank Jackson. I'm looking for the biggest value for our pick. I don't see anyone " projected" around 8 that is materially better for the pg position than Jackson. Jackson is going to be like Booker from the pg. He'll be able to score but if anyone watched the combine he's a fresh blank slate in terms of giving him direction and him following instructions. I like his physical profile 6-3+ 205 and a top 3 or 4 athlete. The one thing I would want for him to do is work hard on positional rebounding and some parts of fundamental defense. But his body the way he uses it is like Charles Barkley as a pg. He's very powerful and it will be very hard to stop him physically
RIP Crushalot😞
wargames
Member: #6053

5/17/2017  5:03 PM
JrZyHuStLa wrote:We ain't drafting Ferguson.

unless we get a second First rounder

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Vmart
USA
5/17/2017  5:16 PM
Add this guy to the List too. I'll go with Briggs with this. Phil needs his Jerry West moment and get this done.

BigDaddyG

5/17/2017  5:33 PM
Vmart wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Vmart wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Vmart wrote:

He is only 1 year removed from play in he Nike hoops with all the freshmen coming out now. I like this kids besides have you seen some of these Australians for a country of so few they produce athletes. Just look at the NBA there are so many. I think the competition is fine it's much more polished than the Chinese leagues. Where they have to keep two or three Chinese players on court all the time.

My wish list

Ferguson
Ntlikina
Issac
Fox

Most of the Aussies and New Zealand era that had success played D-1 ball. This is the same league that made Dante Exum look like the second coming of Kobe. I'll give Joe Ingles. He's solid. Hard pressed to name anyone else.
Vmart
USA
5/17/2017  5:47 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Vmart wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Vmart wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Vmart wrote:

My wish list

Ferguson
Ntlikina
Issac
Fox

Most of the Aussies and New Zealand era that had success played D-1 ball. This is the same league that made Dante Exum look like the second coming of Kobe. I'll give Joe Ingles. He's solid. Hard pressed to name anyone else.

You have to remember that Dante Exum never played in the states at any level until NBA. ferguson has and played it well enough to be considered a top college recruit.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/17/2017  6:11 PM
Vmart wrote:Add this guy to the List too. I'll go with Briggs with this. Phil needs his Jerry West moment and get this done.

Hes going to be good. He already has ball skills which is a prime requirement. If there is one guy I think teams say sht we couldve had him--its him.

If we traded with Portland--if they like someone at 8 that we can swap with I like the sum of their 3 #1's more than our one 8 pick. The more I look at it--the more I hope that we look that route.

RIP Crushalot😞
Vmart
USA
5/17/2017  6:20 PM
Why bother to swap just pick him with the 8th if he is it then he is it. Why wait for Pat the Rat to add him. You can't take the chance if Phil think Diallo is the real deal just take him.
#8: who do we draft?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy