[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pro sports bubble
Author Thread
anrst
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1054
USA
5/2/2017  4:06 PM
did Stein really break stories? i dunno. I don't know anything from him TBH.

and yes, pro sports salaries are going to be shredded very soon.

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/3/2017  10:17 AM
Im not giving up HD, I downgraded to one room DVR. I looked into buying a DVR type box but the monthy service fees negated that purpose. I think there Tivo new box does not require service but its not cheap.
Be best to wait until price drops or pick up a used machine some time down the road.

4 HD boxes, no premium channels, DVR and slamming atom smashing speed internet for $140 a month is not cheap, but its the best I can do. I need Bloomberg and Cnbc. Wife is CNN junkie and I still want my MTV. Saw a thing on Bowie last nite flipping around.

I've had ATT uverse and it started good but got worse as more subscribers came on. Time Warner was OK, but not great. Im very happy with what I have, its just the Cellphone plans and Cable/internet combined is no joke anymore!!

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/4/2017  3:58 PM
Good article on ESPN. Thought this part was interesting. Wonder which major team sport will be first?

https://theconversation.com/does-espn-have-anywhere-to-go-but-down-76843

Just as the rest of the television industry struggles with new competitors and new norms, there is no way for ESPN to go back to its previous position of demanding high subscriber fees and forcing all cable subscribers to subsidize its programming.

Some sports leagues are using internet distribution to cut out broadcast and cable middlemen entirely and now sell directly to their viewers. WWE wrestling switched to this model in 2014. The major sports leagues currently benefit from channels’ willingness to pay high license fees and bear the risk of a changing market. When those fees diminish, they may follow WWE and sell access to their games directly to fans.

Once the leagues identify that there is more revenue in selling directly to fans and selling advertising themselves, sports television could experience a seismic disruption.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/4/2017  4:11 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Good article on ESPN. Thought this part was interesting. Wonder which major team sport will be first?

Just as the rest of the television industry struggles with new competitors and new norms, there is no way for ESPN to go back to its previous position of demanding high subscriber fees and forcing all cable subscribers to subsidize its programming.

Some sports leagues are using internet distribution to cut out broadcast and cable middlemen entirely and now sell directly to their viewers. WWE wrestling switched to this model in 2014. The major sports leagues currently benefit from channels’ willingness to pay high license fees and bear the risk of a changing market. When those fees diminish, they may follow WWE and sell access to their games directly to fans.

Once the leagues identify that there is more revenue in selling directly to fans and selling advertising themselves, sports television could experience a seismic disruption.

Notre Dame Football has been indepent of conference for years.
League passes are coming more and more into play. We can get just knick games now without all the other league games.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/4/2017  4:30 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Good article on ESPN. Thought this part was interesting. Wonder which major team sport will be first?

Notre Dame Football has been indepent of conference for years.
League passes are coming more and more into play. We can get just knick games now without all the other league games.

Some sports leagues are using internet distribution to cut out broadcast and cable middlemen entirely and now sell directly to their viewers. WWE wrestling switched to this model in 2014. [b]The major sports leagues currently benefit from channels’ willingness to pay high license fees and bear the risk of a changing market. When those fees diminish, they may follow WWE and sell access to their games directly to fans.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

5/4/2017  4:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/4/2017  4:39 PM
Curious to see how the projected move from Cable centric viewing to Free internet viewing will change the business model. But that may help professional sports as advertisers would still flock to guaranteed audiences and demographics.

The only thing that may change this is if the new generations of young people change their admiration for spectator sports. Already hapenning in Baseball. Would not think football or basketball wou;d have the same resistance. But with new generations, everything changes on a daily basis

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

5/5/2017  7:12 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I'll write this down and we can come back to it in 5 years. Pro sports(all of them) are in a financial bubble. Teams and players have pressed on salaries ticket costs and tv rights for to long.
Those days are now done. With Espn who is the biggest gorilla of them all simply firing main staff with dramatic and increasing viewer decline-- you are at the apex of a bubble which just had it's first pin inserted. Now watch what happens over the next decade

I have 2-3 ESPN channels that never show anything. Sometimes shows are preempted, and they dont use the empty channels to show them.

They've spent a lot of money to grow the audience, the bill is due. They also take a good idea and do it do death.

What will cause the pro sports bubble to burst is prices that no one can afford. Its already pretty damned expensive to go see most pro teams in the US.

Prices are already at unsustainable levels. As millenials rack up more debt and their cash flow gets crunched so will their discretionary spending. Boomers are already losing their buying power. I don't think Briggs is so far off - these will eventually pop, all bubbles do. But even most economists can't get the timing right

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Pro sports bubble

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy