[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pro sports bubble
Author Thread
ekstarks94
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6104

4/29/2017  8:05 AM
This will,all lead to the NBA next contract being scaled back...all of these contracts over the next 3 to 4 yrs will look absolutely ridiculous....even the ones that deserve 200 mill...if anyone...the issue is that after the cap goes over 100 mill...how do you take it down in the next cba....ESPN overpaid and they realize it now trying to offset their controllable costs...which is a drop in the bucket....no one else is going to step and pay billions for dwindling viewership....Lebron will be gone in 5 yrs...who the heck else will captivate the NBA stratosphere
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/29/2017  11:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/29/2017  11:47 AM
ekstarks94 wrote:This will,all lead to the NBA next contract being scaled back...all of these contracts over the next 3 to 4 yrs will look absolutely ridiculous....even the ones that deserve 200 mill...if anyone...the issue is that after the cap goes over 100 mill...how do you take it down in the next cba....ESPN overpaid and they realize it now trying to offset their controllable costs...which is a drop in the bucket....no one else is going to step and pay billions for dwindling viewership....Lebron will be gone in 5 yrs...who the heck else will captivate the NBA stratosphere

LeBron is pretty much being forced down everyone's throat. Ever go to espn LeBron took a shyt today. It's all LeBron all the time. That might be why it's so down. Who really wants to follow Ana player that runs to a top heavy team.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/29/2017  2:04 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
crzymdups wrote:ESPN put up a decent chunk of the recent NBA tv deal that bumped that cap up to $108M.

There's going to be a reckoning on the next TV deal for sure, I think.

I don't think it's a bubble that will burst, but I think things will have to be recalibrated.

The NBA has been good about embracing the web via streaming and letting places like twitter show short clips. The NBA is really the best sport to show a ten second highlight of one play, far more so than the NFL or MLB or tennis or whatever.

I think the NBA will be fine.

The real reckoning will come in terms of cable television networks.

THOUGH, the FCC just announced its plan to "reverse the mistake" of Net Neutrality. That move is surely being pushed by the big internet companies and cable companies, too. They'll find a way to get people to pay for what they watch, and pay heavily. Prepare for Netflix and the like to start costing more money. And an effect of that is that it may drive people back to cable. We'll see, but the Net Neutrality ruling will figure into all this.

Also, ESPN is owned by Disney, which owns Star Wars and the Marvel Universe and ABC and the Disney IP. They aren't going anywhere.

It's certainly interesting to watch it all play out though.

Everything is changing very quickly. How many people do you know that use waze instead of buying a gps? Why pay for satellite radio when you can stream podcasts, pandora etc. People make a living blogging but print journalists are losing their job at an alarming rate. Streaming sites are in hd etc. I don't know if regulations can catch up with the technology that is out there. Netflix and other streaming services might be regulated but there are others that won't be (i.e. playon).

The end of Net Neutrality will mean sites have to pay hefty fees to be able to stream HD quality video. Or they'll have to foist the fees onto the users. Either way, ending net neutrality is a way to re-monetize the Internet. I don't think it's a good thing. Though it might actually be a good thing for people getting paid again. Hard to say. It'll be interesting. Everyone is used to a very cheap Internet and that's about to change.

¿ △ ?
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
4/30/2017  9:41 AM
Disney ans ESPN are in Fantasia. Sure it's a business. Yet the NBA is as well. Billionaires can buy and sell professional sports teams but they are in it for the money except a handful. Yet once they cAnt get a return on investment, they'll put the squeeze on the players as the fans are maxed out. If teams are no longer an attractive option and finding the next Lebron to market proves a challenge, they'll be stoppage. While their at it push back the 3 point and allow handchecking it's a man's game
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/30/2017  10:17 AM
ESPN insider really cover itself? Pay extra for what?
ESPN is still the most dominant channel on the cable platform and all stations are losing subscribers, including ESPN.
Like many businesses, they got bloated and costs ran out of control. We used to watch Sports center like crazy but who does anymore? You can see stories and a few highlights on the cell phone and then move on. Days of 1 hour of waiting for the "Your team" to come on are gone.

Espn got bloated like most business after a while. Disney has "ESPN" properties in Florida that are awesome! They make money on programming, not writing. The money is still chasing NBA and viewership is strong, ad space is strong, etc.

Times are a changing, but they are far from finished. And neither is pro sports.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

5/1/2017  1:19 PM
Did anyone see the NFL draft and the fans that came to watch that 3 day event? Also, the tv returns seem to have been outstanding. I would not be surprise if we start seeing companies treat the draft like the super bowl and buy up as slots.
Nalod
USA
5/1/2017  4:47 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:Did anyone see the NFL draft and the fans that came to watch that 3 day event? Also, the tv returns seem to have been outstanding. I would not be surprise if we start seeing companies treat the draft like the super bowl and buy up as slots.

like: "With the fist pick, bought to you buy Budweiser, the king of beers, the Clveland Browns select......."?

Something like that?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/1/2017  4:57 PM
Nalod wrote:ESPN insider really cover itself? Pay extra for what?
ESPN is still the most dominant channel on the cable platform and all stations are losing subscribers, including ESPN.
Like many businesses, they got bloated and costs ran out of control. We used to watch Sports center like crazy but who does anymore? You can see stories and a few highlights on the cell phone and then move on. Days of 1 hour of waiting for the "Your team" to come on are gone.

Espn got bloated like most business after a while. Disney has "ESPN" properties in Florida that are awesome! They make money on programming, not writing. The money is still chasing NBA and viewership is strong, ad space is strong, etc.

Times are a changing, but they are far from finished. And neither is pro sports.

This article is from back in early March.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-cutting-nearly-100-million-in-on-air-talent-030617

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
USA
5/1/2017  5:21 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-cutting-nearly-100-million-in-on-air-talent-030617

Good read, thanks for posting. I wonder would google pay for rights like they are doing for pro football in Asia? Or Amazon?
The shift is on, the question does it go up, sideways or down?

CrushAlot
USA
5/1/2017  5:27 PM
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Good read, thanks for posting. I wonder would google pay for rights like they are doing for pro football in Asia? Or Amazon?
The shift is on, the question does it go up, sideways or down?

I am not sure what happens but the author has a morning radio show that I catch sometimes. He has been talking about the fall of espn for awhile.
crzymdups
USA
5/1/2017  7:14 PM
New wrinkle - apparently ESPN cleaned house somewhat to bring in Woj on the basketball side.

¿ △ ?
CrushAlot
USA
5/1/2017  7:33 PM
crzymdups wrote:New wrinkle - apparently ESPN cleaned house somewhat to bring in Woj on the basketball side.

Is that accurate? I saw something about Wojo leaving but he was tweeting about who he was going to have on his draft show.
CrushAlot
USA
5/1/2017  7:35 PM
crzymdups wrote:New wrinkle - apparently ESPN cleaned house somewhat to bring in Woj on the basketball side.

ESPN tends to ruin or change the product. I can't remember the site that Chad Ford had but ESPN took it over and made the content insider material.
crzymdups
USA
5/1/2017  7:35 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Is that accurate? I saw something about Wojo leaving but he was tweeting about who he was going to have on his draft show.

I saw someone else say Woj would start at ESPN July 1 for free agency. Sounding like his draft show will be the last thing he does for Yahoo

I've seen multiple other verified sports writers confirm the report.

Also, apparently Woj and Stein hate each other which I didnt know.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
5/1/2017  7:37 PM
¿ △ ?
CrushAlot
USA
5/1/2017  7:56 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Wow. I didn't know that. I thought they were the two best reporters out there for breaking stories.
crzymdups
USA
5/1/2017  8:00 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Wow. I didn't know that. I thought they were the two best reporters out there for breaking stories.

Probably why they hate each other. Professional rivalry.

¿ △ ?
Nalod
USA
5/1/2017  8:34 PM
Good take. At the same time, ESPN is the biggest still on cable so its an interesting take as to extrapolating the losses of subscribers. At some point, millennials will have more than one TV and will plug in. I have 4 tv's in my house, and I have looked at every which way to leave cable but I the convenience is important. I like CNN and my basketball. I watch less and less TV thought. I play tennis three nights in the spring on most weeks. Just got back, eat a light dinner and no time for starting a program.
Got mac daddy fiber optics right up to the house and do stream from amazon and netflix. Super service now!!!!

So many choices. But yeah, $7 a month for ESPN, not sure its worth it. But Im not getting rid of it. I don't need 4 espn's either!!!!

CrushAlot
USA
5/1/2017  9:40 PM
Nalod wrote:Good take. At the same time, ESPN is the biggest still on cable so its an interesting take as to extrapolating the losses of subscribers. At some point, millennials will have more than one TV and will plug in. I have 4 tv's in my house, and I have looked at every which way to leave cable but I the convenience is important. I like CNN and my basketball. I watch less and less TV thought. I play tennis three nights in the spring on most weeks. Just got back, eat a light dinner and no time for starting a program.
Got mac daddy fiber optics right up to the house and do stream from amazon and netflix. Super service now!!!!

So many choices. But yeah, $7 a month for ESPN, not sure its worth it. But Im not getting rid of it. I don't need 4 espn's either!!!!

I don't know if this will work for everyone but we reduced are cable to basic. We still get 73 channels including 2 espn channels. We are supposed to only get through channel 23. Espn, MSG, Yes, sny are not in hd but we pay $70 less a month. We did this 2 years ago so I don't anticipate losing the channels. What I have heard is that your cable company has to put a filter on your cable entering your house to prevent you from getting the other channels. It sucks not having hd for games that aren't on ota tv. I would sign back up for hd but my cable package only offers one MSG channel and Sabres games black out the Knicks.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

5/2/2017  12:48 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:Good take. At the same time, ESPN is the biggest still on cable so its an interesting take as to extrapolating the losses of subscribers. At some point, millennials will have more than one TV and will plug in. I have 4 tv's in my house, and I have looked at every which way to leave cable but I the convenience is important. I like CNN and my basketball. I watch less and less TV thought. I play tennis three nights in the spring on most weeks. Just got back, eat a light dinner and no time for starting a program.

I don't know if this will work for everyone but we reduced are cable to basic. We still get 73 channels including 2 espn channels. We are supposed to only get through channel 23. Espn, MSG, Yes, sny are not in hd but we pay $70 less a month. We did this 2 years ago so I don't anticipate losing the channels. What I have heard is that your cable company has to put a filter on your cable entering your house to prevent you from getting the other channels. It sucks not having hd for games that aren't on ota tv. I would sign back up for hd but my cable package only offers one MSG channel and Sabres games black out the Knicks.

I did the same thing, went to basic cable and was suppose to only get around 20 something channels but I was still able to get 100+ channels. This went on for about two years but then the cable company switch over to using only digital boxes instead of cable straight from the wall jack. Long story short is now I really only have basic cable and I still do not miss anything. I really need to just get an antenna and save an extra $20. The only thing I really miss is having the ability to dvr things. However, I have been looking at some hybrid Android tv boxes that have PVR abilities which could solve my problem.

One thing I do love about ESPN is their watchespn app that let's you watch everything across their multichannel platform. ESPN 3 stores pretty much everything and gives you the opportunity to watch almost any sporting event you miss.

Pro sports bubble

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy