[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

i think the next move is try to sign Gadzuric
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/18/2004  12:29 AM
slightly over pay something like 3 years 10-11mm or so maybe even a fourth year. hes young hes a solid shot blocker reasonable money and i dont know if cost conscious mil could match it.

id much rather have gadzuric than either baker or clark to bad we didnt go after mihm but we had to try to get dampier. we got strung along and lost time

gadzuric is my choice here
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/18/2004  12:31 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

slightly over pay something like 3 years 10-11mm or so maybe even a fourth year. hes young hes a solid shot blocker reasonable money and i dont know if cost conscious mil could match it.

id much rather have gadzuric than either baker or clark to bad we didnt go after mihm but we had to try to get dampier. we got strung along and lost time

gadzuric is my choice here
I thought he wasn't an FA until next year? (His contract situation is confusing, though.) If he is an FA, then I'd definitely go after him.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/18/2004  12:38 AM
I really wanted Etan Thomas what a shame. He's younger, taller and bigger than Kurt and plays harder but I'm afraid with him and Dampier gone Kurt may be our best option.
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
8/18/2004  12:40 AM
If Gadzuric is available, I would definitely go after him with the MLE. I think Mil would rather keep him since they missed out on Ethan Thomas with their offer getting matched by Was.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
BRIGGS
8/18/2004  12:42 AM
he's a restricted FA but milwaukee doesnt own his bird rights. im not completely sure about this but since they used part of their mLE on James, i think they could only match up to 2mm i could be wrong---there is no doubt that we would have to over pay a bit and at this point what is a couple of million? I would be aggresive 3 years starting at 4mm so something like 3 years 14mm its overpaying him a tad but we have to be slightly aggresive here while staying within reason--no matter what the contrac is fluid [meaning its short and moveable]
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/18/2004  12:47 AM
Gadzuric was only restricted if Milwaukee didn't pick up his option by August 1st. They did. He's on their roster. Go to nba.com and go to MIL team site, he's listed on their roster and not as a free agent. He's not available, though I do like him. Keon Clark isn't a bad consulation prize. He's at least tough.

God, I hope Dampier blows up in Dallas' face...
¿ △ ?
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/18/2004  2:46 AM
Here's what John Hollinger, SI.com writer who basically studies basketball, had to say about Gadzuric:

"• Dan Gadzuric, Bucks
(14.8 pts/40 min, 12.8 reb/40 min, 4.0 blk/40 min)

One of the keys to Milwaukee's surprising season has been the ability to find decent big men on the cheap. Brian Skinner and Daniel Santiago have both had their moments, but Gadzuric takes the cake. He's an outstanding rebounder, finishes around the basket and can beat almost every center in the league down the floor. He doesn't get talked about much as a shot-blocker because his per-game average doesn't jump out at you, but he averages four blocks per 40 minutes -- about 25 percent more than Ben Wallace. Yet Gadzuric has yet to start a game this year, an oversight that Terry Porter ought to correct by the end of the year.

In addition to the four players above, two other players fall into the "grain of salt" category. Their numbers this year are impressive, but because each has played only about 300 minutes, it's still within the realm of possibility that they're nothing more than glorious flukes."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/02/01/beat.0203/
#Knickstaps
Bonn1997
USA
8/18/2004  4:02 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I really wanted Etan Thomas what a shame. He's younger, taller and bigger than Kurt and plays harder but I'm afraid with him and Dampier gone Kurt may be our best option.
I like Etan but it obviously would have taken more than the MLE to get him since the Wiz matched the MLE offer he got
RonRon
Member: #246
8/18/2004  6:53 AM
i dont think the bucks will let gadzuric go for nothing, he is more of PF than center with a lot of athletic ability that likes to play big. He doesnt have the size to really play center but can be a rebounding and machine with pretty good shot blocking. I think Keon Clark is the best we can do right now. We are the most expensive payroll on the team and if we cant legitimatly compete for a title in the east i think its totally unacceptable for the extra cash we decided to use. What is the midlevel exception for a player the KINGS coveted to use as their shaq stopper. Hes coming off injury and will be a big question mark. But if hes healthy he can bring plenty to our club. I would be willing to only give him a max 3 year deal though.

Another route to go would be to try to find a big man through the draft but with the fire power we have, im not sure would we be able to get a good pick, so isiah is gonna have to find another gem.

There just isnt enough talent big men in league and i dont see how we cant trade for one.

brandan haywoode is a player that has size and potential to be a similar player to maglaiore i think. He isnt a great shot blocking but a young big body that has a decent skills. Maybe aquire can do something with him. Im not sure when he was even drafted and when he becomes a free agent but with brown going down to injury it would be harder to aquire him too, even with the etan thomas resigning.

we are all lying to ourselves if we think our high potent offense power team can make us an elite team. We have no big men period.

the
BRIGGS
8/18/2004  8:47 AM
he was playing awesome last year and around mid-season he got hurt and didnt ply the same. if he played the last 40 games like the first 40 games, he wouldve been given 40+mm by someone. it would be great if we could get him for something similar to what Mihm and doleac got $ wise, but as someone pointed out-the status of his FA is a big question. this was a semi-big blow to the knicks--one that likely rattled them a bit concerning dampier.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/18/2004  9:38 AM
Gadzu is signed, but I agree w/ your thinking.

My guess is its going to be Baker for 2 years which is an ok stop gap plug for this team. A 6'11 guy with his skills and experience for 2-3mm a year is very economical.

The only other guy available as a FA at this point is Tsakalidis. He's looked good on offense at times but I would rather have someone looking to play D.

There will be a lot of young bigs available next year... some guys really worth taking a shot on
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/18/2004  9:43 AM
At this point Id rather hold off and see how Baker does.I have a feeling that he is going to surprise alot of people.If Baker can help "hold the fort" without the Knicks having to commit to giving a mediocre big man a long term contract,they will be in great shape in a couple of seasons to clear out this roster and add to the young nucleus that they have a build a real contender not just a perennial 1st or 2nd round playoff team.Thats when we lose the contracts of Houston/TT/Nazr/Anderson/Norris/Hardaway.

Im glad that Isiah went after Dampier but now that we know he is going to Dallas,Id like to see how the Knicks do before commiting long term contracts to average to below average players when we can wait until these contracts expire and get us some real ballers.Its not like we would be waiting 4-5 seasons to rebuild.Its just 2!

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/18/2004  9:48 AM
let's just get baker inked and call it a day. gadzuric would be awesome but not sure of his contract situation. isiah is gonna try to do something at the deadline, most likely unsuccessful this season. the only thing we can hope for is that kurt and nazr come in and produce right off the bat. that could get us something back, otherwise, if this is our roster:

guards - marbury, h20, crawford, penny, moochie, shandon
forwards - tim, kurt, penny, sweets, jyd, ariza, shandon
center - nazr, vin, kurt

then i still think we're still a 45 win type team. dampier would've gotten us alot farther come playoff time but it looks like 45 wins with advancement into the 2nd round which is great for year 1 1/2 of the rebuild on the fly. the focus on this season is to run the 3 guard, develop sweetney, and try to stay healthy. ariza's time will be next year most likely (with penny gone).

next offseason and trade deadline is when isiah is going to do some damage plus i still think we have a #1 next year to work with as well. let's get everyone's stock up and use them along with expiring deals to get the next BIG piece to hopefully put us over the hump.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 08/18/2004 09:53:52]
Bonn1997
USA
8/18/2004  9:53 AM
Posted by fishmike:

My guess is its going to be Baker for 2 years which is an ok stop gap plug for this team. A 6'11 guy with his skills and experience for 2-3mm a year is very economical.
I agree but I also think an athletic shot blocker like Keon Clark for 2 or 3 yrs at around 1.5 mil per year is very economical as well and I see no harm in adding both Baker and Clark.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/18/2004  10:07 AM
Baker and clark would be a niec versatile combo, and a great step in the good direction.

I really wonder why clark is still under the radar.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/18/2004  10:08 AM
Posted by raven:

Baker and clark would be a niec versatile combo, and a great step in the good direction.

b/c everywhere he goes, people hate him and can't wait till he leaves. if you're 7 feet, and everybody is keeping as far away as possible, then something's not right and it's not like jerry west is threatening to match any deal on clark as well...

[Edited by - djsunyc on 08/18/2004 10:09:09]
Bonn1997
USA
8/18/2004  11:07 AM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by raven:

b/c everywhere he goes, people hate him and can't wait till he leaves. if you're 7 feet, and everybody is keeping as far away as possible, then something's not right and it's not like jerry west is threatening to match any deal on clark as well...

[Edited by - djsunyc on 08/18/2004 10:09:09]
No, that's not it at all; a lot of teams wanted him the last time he was an FA. He's having trouble now because people don't know how serious his ankle injury is.
rojasmas
Member: #639
8/18/2004  10:39 PM
A guy on Milwaukee who is even more athletic than Gadzuric who might be available is Marcus Haislip. He is a real high energy guy who definitely would fit with the new Knicks. I think he could be had for KT.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/19/2004  1:30 AM
Keon Clark would be awesome-- he'd provide a good deal of athleticism for any team--- I wonder if he's such a headcase that teams are afraid of signing him.

Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by fishmike:

I agree but I also think an athletic shot blocker like Keon Clark for 2 or 3 yrs at around 1.5 mil per year is very economical as well and I see no harm in adding both Baker and Clark.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
i think the next move is try to sign Gadzuric

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy